• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Monster Bike - Honda VF1100 (V65 Magna)

blassoff

I recently purchased a 1986 V65 Magna. Interesting bike. As much HP as a C-10, pretty close in weight, doesn't handle like a connie.

I needed a project. Bought a non-running bike and started tearing into it. I have the engine running, but now need to work on fuel delivery (it has two gas tanks, a main and a secondary - one of which is clogged). Once I resolve that it's onto electrical and then maybe cosmetics.

It was an early "power cruiser". Once I have it running decently, I'll post pics.

A smarter man wouldn't have purchased an older non-running bike without more wrenching expertise, I'm a glutton for punshment.  :-[

I had an '85 700cc version. My first new bike. It was a lot of fun and even did some two-up touring with soft luggage.

At the time, the V65 may have been the fastest thing on the road. I remember their magazine ads said, "Zero to the national speed limit faster than you can read this."

My last bike was a V45 Sabre, sibling to the Magna. I have a fair amount of wrenching experience on this bike and may be able to help as you go forward...

Well, I always figured a V65 was a 650, and the V45 a 450. If the V65 is 1100, what is the V45?

A V45 is a 750.  Mama rides one of these... well, not in the past three years, but it's out in the garage anyway. LOL

The 45 and 65 designations are for CID and not CC.

The 45 and 65 are roughly cubic inches. 45ci = 737cc, 65ci = 1065cc

EDIT: There was also a V30 which was a 500cc

Don't care much for cruisers but that was a bruiser of a motor, if half of what they say about them are true. ;)

Had a 83 V65 for years. It pulled like a freaking bull. Handled like crap, but I still miss it.

Good luck with your project.  Hope you get it all sorted out.

I had an '85, V65 Sabre, bought it new as a leftover in '87 around my 19th birthday - "By the Grace of God" as they say, is the only way I made it to 20...

I keep checking ebay - hoping to find another one that I like to put in the garage.

Still have my V45 Sabre. Handles way better than the Magna ever thought about, plus it's got the Hondaline fairing so I was into Sport Touring before I even knew what it was. You can try this site- http://www.sabmag.org/ - Tons of info and knowledge. They have a pretty fierce following, kinda like the Connies!

I owned a nice '84 V42.5 Sabre (700cc - an old joke on the V4HondaBBS.com site for those of us with the Embargo year bikes). The Sabre's were my favorite (cruiser's hurt my back) being 'standard' seating.

If you haven't already found it, check out www.v4hondabbs.com. They're a great bunch and have a lot of great info on the forum.

Thanks to all. I'm currently on the "Magna Owners of Texas" and "V4HondaBBS" websites. If I'd known more about it, I'd have opted for the sabre too. Basically I was missing my Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 and thought this would be close.

As it's been in the 90's here in Philly lately, the bike sits untouched in the garage. It's just too damn hot to play with it. Even my riding is now done between 6 and 10 am or after 8pm.

I owned two connie's previously, a 98 windsor green (ugly color) and an 04, (cool pearl black). Currently I'm riding another heat generator (2005 FJR1300).

I just wanted to stop by because this was the best site I was ever a part of. Never met a nicer group a folks, and I liked buying toys from Murph.
So, I'll be lurking around. If I have any more connie parts sitting around you'll see 'em.

Right now I have three or four oil filters and a set of NGK plugs for a connie. Anybody need them? Make me a reasonable offer they're yours ($30 delivered??)

Thanks again...Baz

Baz said:
I owned two connie's previously, a 98 windsor green (ugly color) and an 04, (cool pearl black). Currently I'm riding another heat generator (2005 FJR1300).

Thanks again...Baz

You should have gotten an 06 or newer FJR. Much less heat!  >:D

LDog said:
I owned a nice '84 V42.5 Sabre (700cc - an old joke on the V4HondaBBS.com site for those of us with the Embargo year bikes). The Sabre's were my favorite (cruiser's hurt my back) being 'standard' seating.

If you haven't already found it, check out www.v4hondabbs.com. They're a great bunch and have a lot of great info on the forum.

Yeah, mind just said "Magna" on the side, didn't get the Vxx logo since mine was the 700. I really wanted the V65, but when you're making $4 an hour... ...

Loved the smooth power of that V4 engine!!

Have the 85 Sabre V65 VF1100S
Rated (by Honda likely) @ 121 hp at crank. Will leave the Connie in the dust in accell mode. I have read in '84 it was the fastest prduction bike, then the Yam VMAX came out and took the title.
Yes it is a garage queen:

wally_games said:
I had an '85 700cc version. My first new bike. It was a lot of fun and even did some two-up touring with soft luggage.

At the time, the V65 may have been the fastest thing on the road. I remember their magazine ads said, "Zero to the national speed limit faster than you can read this."

danodemotoman said:
Have the 85 Sabre V65 VF1100S
Rated (by Honda likely) @ 121 hp at crank. Will leave the Connie in the dust in accell mode. I have read in '84 it was the fastest prduction bike, then the Yam VMAX came out and took the title.
Yes it is a garage queen:

Awesome looking bike!

Mine was in decent shape, but I do like the silver colors more than the maroon that I had. I added the Corbin and windshield for long trips, but eventually needed something with longer legs, hence the Connie.