• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Moonshine Lunch Run 2014---Registration Open

Rasmith

Was going to start this in January but figured what the heck.

I'm definately attending again. My brother in law will be going as well. We may do the SS1000 on the way out depending on weather. 1000 miles straight is tough enough in dry weather.

We'll be camping at the farm

This on is on the 'tentative' list for me too.  I have to be in Baton Rouge the next week and I am seriously considering taking the long route down on the bike.  I would really like to, but I have a hard time scheduling that far in advance at the moment.

I need to due it. Add a post some time in March so we are reminded.
I'll see if I can get anyone else in Michigan interested.
rwulf

Thought I'd at least get it posted in case it's time for anyone to turn their vacation requests in.
It's a tough call for all of us business travelers. I'll probably need to ship my work clothes to whichever trip is before or after this event. Whatever it takes I guess.

Hopefully I'll have Columbus, Cincy or Louisville..Then I can claim mileage!! :great:

Never know.....I might go again this year. Just depends on how things line up in the spring! Meantime, here's a link to more info for folks that are scratchin their heads goin.....what in the H E double hockey sticks is the Moonshine Lunch Run anyways ::) ::)
I sure miss Terry's forum report on the folks signed up for the event,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what a guy. I hope he is still enjoying the endless twisties :)
http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/

Brian, Thanks for putting the link up here. I guess I just assumed everyone knew about Moonshine  :)

I couldnt believe how many bikes were there this last run. I think it was around 2000 total they figured. Roughly

Will be interesting to see what next years turnout will be

A couple-three years ago everyone stayed the night at the Days Inn in Charleston, IL, does anyone have any definite plans yet?  I am very seriously adding this to the schedule, but I can not 100% confirm yet

In/page 5/camping with my buddy Rick....and whoever else shows up. If you are going to reserve a motel, maybe you could share your shower one of the days.

No camping for me on this outing.  Heading to Baton Rouge for a conference after the MLR, so packing space will be a premium.  Have to bring some 'respectable' clothes and shoes  :(

For anyone considering doing the SaddleSore1000, Registration is open..Im signed up and will have my brother-in-law along with me.

https://rides.jasonjonas.com/regRequest.php?id=309

Will be joining the fun. I plan on camping at the farm BUTT I also reserved a room at the days inn for the 3 days. A SAFE PLACE FOR ALL. :)  I will be leaving Pittsburgh area Thursday morning. If anyone is doing the same in the area  PLEASE yell. I enjoy the solitude of riding alone but it is always nice to ride with someone also.

Don, I hope you keep the room. The farm campers can pitch in money to use the shower. Should be enough of us to make that a very low cost deal. We'll just split the room 5 or 6 ways. Whatcha think?    Al

More the merrier. Going to be a fun bunch around the fire ring for sure! (note to self, pack advil)

OK....  MLR has gone from pencil to ink on the calendar.  Just registered at Rider #473.  I am trying to get a few other KC riders to tag along with me.  We should coordinate another group photo for the Concourier with the SE folks who are coming up with IronButtAl.

MizzouMike said:
OK....  MLR has gone from pencil to ink on the calendar.  Just registered at Rider #473.  I am trying to get a few other KC riders to tag along with me.  We should coordinate another group photo for the Concourier with the SE folks who are coming up with IronButtAl.

We did this last year as well. Worked out well.

Im headed out on the SS1000 but will be taking the conventiuonal route back to KC. Last year was so windy it almost low sided me on the freeway. I was beat the hell and back by the time I got home.

I hope to have a COG banner before this ride starts, Thanks for the reminder Mike.
Last year I wrangled the Photo Shoot and it ended up being a little late so we'll probably do it earlier.

Stay tuned for more details

Are you camping Mike?

Randy, don't sit between Rick and me around the fire. Your usual bottle of Fireball won't last too long. Rick drinks too much

IronButtAl said:
Randy, don't sit between Rick and me around the fire. Your usual bottle of Fireball won't last too long. Rick drinks too much

I guess I should bring two with that issue as a possible hazard. Being retired Navy, it is not a scenario I am unfamiliar with.  :party0036:

12:30 Saturday..We assemble for a group COG Photo with COG Banner!

This is the same time they cut off serving the burgers so dont get stuck in line!!

This time let's see if we can pull off getting a couple Gens of the Connie in the phote as well.

Don't forget to wipe the mustard off your chin Al

13 COGGERS signed up so far and 6 of them are camping at the Farm!!  Al better bring a huge bottle of Advil

Spoke with a trucker friend of mine and said I'm going to Moonshine IL. I would like some of your fine shine. He said what flavor. I said no flavor just clear.Bring plenty of Advil :smiley_confused1:

Don't sit next to Rick. The bottle pass tends to stop at his chair, or, you might get an empty bottle handed to you. Ask me how I know.................

656 riders as of today. Might be some on the fence, or there may be other procrastinators that are as good as me. At any rate, this will be a fun time.

I think only a third of the riders register or even know there's registration. Judging from the turn out last year in the amount of people registered I say it's probably an accurate ratio. At least it was for last year.

776 Riders registered.

15 COG Riders :great:

Im building an email list to keep everyone updated on the Group Photo. I have a COG Banner (Thanks to 2Fast) so we're covered there.
I have everyone's email except sourkrout and curtiswesner who for some reason didnt show on my master list.
For everyone else, I am sending a test email. If you didnt get it, that means your email isnt updated so please PM me your email address so I can add it to my moonshine list.

Thanks!! :)

Changes the calendar from pencil to ink last night.... Made my hotel reservations in Arcola Illinois (about 50 miles out).  Supposed to be in Baton Rouge on Monday, so looking for a place to stay in between for Saturday night.

See all you guys at Moonshine 

Just jumped on the MLR Site. over 1,000 Registered, 88 Campers :great:

19 Coggers are Registered!! and I think about 6 are Camping!
Going to be a hoot!

Brother-in-Law and I are registered for SS1000 and leaving KC Thursday around noon. So far weather for the ride and entire even appears to be favorable.

Thanks to 2Fast, our NC AD, we have a Banner for the Group Photo. Its on the bike so hopefully I will not forget it. We'll be taking the Group photo at 12:30 Saturday so please be out front of the General Store by then. I have everyone's email address that's registered for the event. I'll send an email blast out today including my phone# you can call me at. In case you're running a little behind, give me a shout and we will do our best within reason to wait on you for the Group Photo.

If you didn't get my email it's either because you're not registered on the MLR website or the email address in your COG profile is not updated.

I'll post this on the Main Rallies and Rides Thread as well.

See ya'll in Moonshine!!

Got in on Wednesday about 1:00pm. Usual Moonshine weather at this point of time. Had another rider share the fire last night, but after a long shot to here from FL, the bag felt good. Last one out last year/first one in this year. Seems fair to me. Come on Rick, I need a cigar smoking buddy at the fire.

IronButtAl said:
Got in on Wednesday about 1:00pm. Usual Moonshine weather at this point of time. Had another rider share the fire last night, but after a long shot to here from FL, the bag felt good. Last one out last year/first one in this year. Seems fair to me. Come on Rick, I need a cigar smoking buddy at the fire.

Got a bottle in the pannier for Friday...and Saturday.

Good man Randy. Bought two when I got into town, had a little taste around the fire last night, just wasn't the same without company. Have a good ride man............

I plan to be at the Moonshine Store from 9AM to 11Am on Sat. Then I have to leave to fulfill other commitments.
Hope to see you guys there.
Tony

Very nice turnout - it was good to see everyone.  A funny note…  I talked to a friend of mine who was riding down with 100+ Harleys.  It was a total cluster.  They were being led by some trikes well under the speed limit of course and complaining about other bikes who were passing the whole bunch.  They were stopped by the minor fender bender about a mile west of the event, tried to turn the group around to come in from another direction and lost a bunch of them.  Then they decided to not even try to make it and headed for a predetermined bar (MVP in rural Newton) but most of them didn't know how to get there.  So none of them even got a burger and most of them got lost in the cluster and didn't make it to the bar either.  I hope they were able to find their way home at least.  Charles Darwin comes to mind.   

Made it home after getting caught in major storms in St Louis and KC. KLIM gear held up perfectly! Except my non-water proof gloves. Cranked up the grips and all was well..
Had a great time as usual! Happy to meet all the coggers! Bro-in-law provided entertainment.

Told Al I was going to try to fit everything except my chair in the luggage. Im doubting that'll happen but definately lightening up the load.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here are the Names to the Faces  (Thanks Guys)

Left to Right

1-Rick Davis (Rasmith)
2-Randy Gardner (Handyman)
3-Jim Clemons (one of the Clems)
4-Don Clements (one of the Clems)
5-Kurt Bown (Motocommuter)
6-Greg DeCola (Pfloydgad)
7-Al Norcross (IronButtAl)
8-Jeff Pritts (Spiderman)

Attachments

• 2014.JPG
    2014.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 131
Got home safely also, I came E and didn't get a single drop. Quite unusual for a rally ride on my Connie.
It was nice meeting everyone, all be it a short visit. Thanks for the pic. Ras, one for the garage wall for sure.
Well everybody ride safe out there, and please ATGATT.
Greg

Pfloydgad said:
Got home safely also, I came E and didn't get a single drop. Quite unusual for a rally ride on my Connie.
It was nice meeting everyone, all be it a short visit. Thanks for the pic. Ras, one for the garage wall for sure.
Well everybody ride safe out there, and please ATGATT.
Greg

Great meeting you as well. Now I know what to do with all my stickers. I have a couple for you already!

A few of us COGers from Indiana were there too, but held up in the long line at 12:30. Good fun and great weather. Bit windy on the ride back east. :)

crossj_2002 said:
A few of us COGers from Indiana were there too, but held up in the long line at 12:30. Good fun and great weather. Bit windy on the ride back east. :)

Shoulda called me. We wouldve waited on you ;)

Thanks Rick, I'm third from the left, Jim Clemons aka the other Clem and then there's Curt Brown, motocommuter I think, the guy on the  far right is Jeff but I cant remember his last name, he was from Decatur.

Great gathering of the COG, and it was nice to meet some of the northern crowd as well. Had a good time in and around the Moonshine Store and a great time camping at the farm.

Ride in was smooth...ride out not so smooth. Storms were nipping at my heals as I rolled out of St Louis. They ended up steam rolling over me shortly thereafter. Made it to Hopkinsville for an overnight and had to stay in the area an extra day due to the heavy storm activity in the south. Light rain and 39 as I loaded up this morning. Just another adventure.

Al, did you make it out of there before it froze over?

Cheers.

Enjoyed this event, nice meeting some new friends.

Left 8am (ct)/9am (et), made it home at 6pm (et). Plan was to make some time on my first leg, run it to reserve at about 220 - 240, but at 167, it started sputtering, I flipped to reserve and it caught but I was also smelling burnt oil, was really getting concerned. That is until I passed an old truck blowing oil, then I figured the headwind was a little stronger than I anticipated, that with running at 80mph diminished my fuel mileage.

Another stop at Monteagle for fuel and lunch and then another stop at a rest area in Georgia, got me home by 6pm where my wife had dinner waiting. Life is good!!

First time on a ride that I've felt like I was in a battle for my life......literally. Didn't beat out the snow, had strong weather with hard rain. Pretty miserable trip. Guess we used up the good weather for the 'shine'. Just got in this am, everything is wet, porch is full of hung out gear. Likely wouldn't have made this without the heated vest, but now back to the warmth of sunny Florida. I don't envy the people in the northern tier states, having just done this with a renewed sense of the fickle finger of weather, which was one digit pointing up for me on this ride. Going out on the boat for all of Sunday, when at 80 degrees, I'll reflect back on this ride with a better sense of humor. I like an adventure....but jeez.
Good seeing everyone. Hope Greenbrier, AR bring us better riding times.

IronButtAl said:
First time on a ride that I've felt like I was in a battle for my life......literally. Didn't beat out the snow, had strong weather with hard rain. Pretty miserable trip. Guess we used up the good weather for the 'shine'. Just got in this am, everything is wet, porch is full of hung out gear. Likely wouldn't have made this without the heated vest, but now back to the warmth of sunny Florida. I don't envy the people in the northern tier states, having just done this with a renewed sense of the fickle finger of weather, which was one digit pointing up for me on this ride. Going out on the boat for all of Sunday, when at 80 degrees, I'll reflect back on this ride with a better sense of humor. I like an adventure....but jeez.

Glad your home safe Al.

South of St Louis, I remember thinking that Mother Nature was laughing at us for thinking the Moonshine Run this year was a walk in the park, as I rolled down the Interstate with my eyes pinned on the solid white line so I would not run off the road in the perpendicular driving rain...

Here is a quote that has been post-it'ed to my office monitor for a while: "Insight: The ability to see a thrilling adventure where others see only a near death experience."

The 'stuff' we do for fun.  ;)

IronButtAl said:
AL, Glad you are home safe. Oct. thru April we have to look for weather windows to ride. Can't make long range plans. Must be flexible.

spiderman said:
Jack Gindra sent me the following link.  It's a camera drone flying over the event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3di05mgPq_Q

Hey Jeff,

I was watching your 'I Been Everywhere Man' video at the bottom of your post, which I enjoyed by the way, and I was thinking that guy sure looks familiar...then I realized you were wearing goatee camo at the Farm.

Cheers,
Randy

I ended up riding 2,461 miles during this trip, with an 850 mile monster day at the end.  Great seeing everyone, sorry I missed the photo and CONGRATS to the SaddleSore Crew!!