• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Motion Induced Blindness (Motorcycle riders beware)

ManWorkingHere

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 16:40:40 -0600
Subject: Re: FW: Fw[2]: Test
To: her son

Have you heard of this ?

Motion Induced Blindness (Motorcycle riders beware)

It works exactly like it says, and is one major reason people in cars can look right at you (when you're on a motorcycle or bicycle)---AND NOT SEE YOU.

From a former Naval Aviator: "This is a great illustration of what we were taught about scanning outside the cockpit when I went through training back in the '50s. We were told to scan the horizon for a short distance, stop momentarily, and repeat the process. I can remember being told why this was the most effective technique to locate other aircraft. It was emphasized (repeatedly) to NOT fix your gaze for more than a couple of seconds on any single object. The instructors, some of whom were WWII veterans with years of experience, instructed us to continually "keep our eyes moving and our head on a swivel" because this was the best way to survive, not only in combat, but from peacetime hazards (like a midair collision) as well. We basically had to take the advice on faith (until we could experience for ourselves) because the technology to demonstrate it didn't exist at that time."

Click on the link below for a demonstration ...

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html

From me:  I found this idea to be interesting.  I would like to think that more drivers than not are scanning their surroundings.  However, distractions to a driver abound, from cell phone usage, to 'target fixation' where drivers just look forward.  I still drive defensively no matter if I am in the car or on the bike.

Just this week, a guy driving a big straight truck hauling scrap metal or something came out of a yard and cut diagonally across the intersection to pick up a street he wanted on.

He didn't see the motorcyclist coming southbound who had rightaway.

Truck ran over bike, and kept going. The police are search for the truck, asking if anyone saw anything. Bike rider was dead when ambulance arrived. Someone called......

No doubt truck driver was not paying attention, or "looked right through the bike to the street on the other side". The real question is, did he ever know he hit something? If not, why not?

Privateer said:
Just this week, a guy driving a big straight truck hauling scrap metal or something came out of a yard and cut diagonally across the intersection to pick up a street he wanted on.

He didn't see the motorcyclist coming southbound who had rightaway.

Truck ran over bike, and kept going. The police are search for the truck, asking if anyone saw anything. Bike rider was dead when ambulance arrived. Someone called......

No doubt truck driver was not paying attention, or "looked right through the bike to the street on the other side". The real question is, did he ever know he hit something? If not, why not?

Privateer, this the incident you were referring to? http://cumberlink.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/police-search-for-man-in-franklin-county-fatal-hit-and/article_3b6ee4e6-691b-11e1-9326-001871e3ce6c.html

Somewhat related:

I've have landed several times in an airplane on snow and also on still water where it was pretty well impossible to determine elevation.  You could be 100 feet up, you could be inches away from the surface.  It was spooky.

I asked the pilots about this and they all said it was a common phenomenon and that you needed to constantly move your gaze to pick up a variety of reference points.  Otherwise you could get into deep trouble very quickly.

p.s. not to worry - I was in the co-pilot seat with hands and feet firmly away from controls.

Hogboy said:
p.s. not to worry - I was in the co-pilot seat with hands and feet firmly away from controls.

Did we look worried?  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Below is a picture I took of a Polar Bear in a snowstorm walking on a frozen section of the Bering Sea

Nice!  Oh my camera settings were F4.5 S1000. It was a very bright but gray day!