• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mountain runner flash

flyboy3107

Hi everyone,

Finally got to take my 09 out for a spin with the Mountain runner flash, what a difference! I was riding solo and bike was so smooth through the shifting. I was able to leave the bike in one gear and almost drive it like an automatic, not up an downshifting to keep the revs at a certain level. I want to try it with a passenger, because I remember we would always conk helmets whenever I would up and down shift. The bike is now so smooth through shifting, I'm hoping that will be gone. After I take for a longer journey I will post some more, but very pleased with the way it runs now. I was thinking of a new bike, but with this flash I have a new bike!

Thanks, Scott

Shredran said:
Are you tracking fuel economy too? Was it more powerful also?

Not really tracking fuel economy. It does feel a little more powerful, definitely smoother shifting.

jmozg1400 said:
So far this year I'm only getting 35mpg on the mountain flash.

Lots of feedback on the web that folks are getting considerably more than that.  The programming is the same, so then we need to look at what is unique to riding style / conditions, etc. That's all out of my hands. As has been pointed out, the 02 enabled flash is an option. Steve

Yeah, the damn thing is just too F&^%in fun to flog now the economy sucks, LOL first world problems.

ZXtasy said:
Yeah, the damn thing is just too F&^%in fun to flog now the economy sucks, LOL first world problems.

there's a couple threads on the "other" forum reporting mpg's with mountain runner, one's reporting a +5 mpg increase to 45 on the highway, the other 2 guys are reporting 49. Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
jmozg1400 said:
So far this year I'm only getting 35mpg on the mountain flash.

Lots of feedback on the web that folks are getting considerably more than that.  The programming is the same, so then we need to look at what is unique to riding style / conditions, etc. That's all out of my hands. As has been pointed out, the 02 enabled flash is an option. Steve

I don't ride anything out of the ordinary.

I don't do a lot of highway cruising, I saw about 39 MPG average in stop and go traffic, noticed it creeping up when I got on highway. Like I said, I'm not really tracking fuel economy. When the light comes on I fill it up and continue riding.

giphy.gif

Yep...he got me.

Instead of starting another thread, I'll just add to this one.
The sensation on being thrown over the handle bars seems to be gone now.
It's much less effort to shift.
Them's my first impressions.

The gravel road out front will require a few more trips to judge cause it's always changing based on how many boulder sized rocks are rearraged by the cagers.

It will take time to judge gas milage as it depends what the weather is out here.
Today was a heat wave at 60F. I burned a half a tank of gas going out and back.
Fighting 15 to 20 MPH gusty winds from behind, broad side, and head wind home.

There is over 400ft altitude difference from my home to the next town and back.
60 to 70 MPG into town, 40 to 60 MPG heading back home.

My average MPG seems stuck at 52.8 at the moment. I will start keeping accurate records on the next fillup, plus I will try midgrade, as Steve suggested, for my altitude. I also want to practice slow speed figure 8s in the parking lot after the winds die down. I haven't adjusted my throttle cable yet as I want to see what change it will make if any -Only one change at a time.

So far, so good.  :great: :beerchug:
Thanks Steve.

flyboy3107 said:
Mine was stuck at 40.3 Avg, filled up and hit the reset so it was all lines, then it started registering.

This is a very important thing to keep in mind.
Recently, I commented on this very same issue, in a response, to someone saying their mpg has not changed at all after they got a flash, and complained vehemently about it.
My comment, and one that should be understood, after owning and finding things out about "how this bike works" for 10 years, was to "manually, by hitting the reset features on the fuel mileage, reset it..." and THEN see what transpires.

Steve made a comment to me that he never even thought about that, and it was a very viable thing to consider... when passing judgement on effectivity of changes you do to the bike...

The bikes ecu, and memory functions dealing with mpg, are stored, and after a couple full tanks of fuel usage, it takes a lot to "see a change", simply because even a drastic change makes a very small difference in the "computed and stored average"...

For instance,
A freshly reset odometer and mpg function, will record the first half tanks "usage", based on the major fluctuations.. so if you jump on the bike, and take it to tripple digits a couple times, hold that speed for a bit, or lug the bike... whatever that mpg is, becomes the "new" average, (which will be extremely low...) and takes a lot of miles of normal driving to re average and climb to a realistic figure..and even then, may still be low as "shown" due to the skewed averaging..
My conclusion on this all, is unless you regularly, and I mean every other tank full, reset this mpg function, you will never see anything close to "real" figures when trying to properly see what the mpg is thru the electronics...

Now, most people don't reset, and there lies the issue, they are reading a "cumulative" average, which goes unchanged after a years use,

Its soo simple to do a reset to remove the cached data, I can't imagine why more people can't get with it.

With Steve's flash...

Now resetting my Average MPG for trips home as that is uphill and against the wind.
Today, I averaged 60 MPG using 87 Octane at highway speed, 60F with a full tank of gas.
Elevation = 5408 ft.

Previous return trip was 58.7 using 92 Octane.

Another 2 pennies worth of feedback.

Just finished riding two up with my youngest son, who rides with me a lot.
Went the whole ride without cracking helmets.

My son told me the bike is running MUCH MUCH smoother now.
He is enjoying the ride more than ever before. He barely noticed the shifting and decel.

:great: :great: :great: :great: :great: