• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MSF advanced rider course

jmoretz

Bicycle
Hello All, Looking for some information on the 1 day six hour advanced rider course. I am an ex-miltary member who now works for the military as a contractor . I commute daily on my 2000 Connie. I found out recently that I must have a "MSF" card to be able to ride on base. At the local college they have a course that I registered to attend at the end of the month. It's a 1 day thing not sure what's involved or what the passing rate is but i am going to give it a shot. Been riding for a long time was required to take 2 courses when i was in the military but it been a long time since then. Just looking for what to expect. The MSF web site is pretty vague. Just says their is a test at the end and they watch you through out the course. Would appreciate any information on what goes on in the course. Thanks John

MSF Experienced Rider Course typically consists of 9 exercise, followed by a skill test comprised of 4 riding evaluations. In between exercises there are range side discussions that cover several topic areas, including street strategies. ERC exercises focus on control-skills, braking, swerving, cornering, and limited space maneuvers. Depending on your skill level, you may find one or two exercises challenging. The instructors will coach you through them. The skill test is comprised of skills that you practiced and were coached on. I have seen a fairly high success rate for the ERC's I have coached, but there is no promise that everyone will pass. It is all up to the individual. -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Thanks for the response, this is course description I left it out of the orgional posting by mistake. I have been riding for over 30 years. I suspect I will be able to get through this challenge somehow. I am really looking forward to learning something new. I'll consider myself lucky if only 1 or 2 exercises will be challanging :) If I am hearing correctly, it sounds like they are teaching me what I will need to know for the test at the end. That is what I was looking for. OCC-5830 Experienced Rider Course This six-hour course is for the licensed motorcyclist who wants to improve or refresh their skills. Each rider's ability to operate a motorcycle is evaluated by the Instructors. Rider's that cannot demonstrate minimum riding proficiency are encouraged to consider enrolling in the Basic Rider Course. Riders typically use their own motorcycles, but may request the use of a program training motorcycle. Instructors inspect personal motorcycles to assure they are street legal, in good operating condition and pass a routine pre-ride check. To complete the course riders must pass a skill test administered at the end of the course. Riders who pass will receive a Maryland Motorcycle Safety Program Completion Card.

The MSF coaches will work with you closely to get you to pass. You still have to possess the minimum level of skill to execute the maneuvers but they'll do everything they can to get you through it by showing you the right way and pointing out weaknesses that you can't see in yourself because of your perspective. When I took the basic rider course, it took me about 3 hours on the range to realize that if I did what the coaches told me to do, it worked. :) I imagine that's true of the ERC as well. :) Incidentally, it was also a lot of fun.

And they'll even offer to help you pick up your bike when...opps... if you drop it. :blush: Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

When I took the basic rider course, it took me about 3 hours on the range to realize that if I did what the coaches told me to do, it worked. I imagine that's true of the ERC as well.
Sure 'nuff The students I've seen do the worse are the ones that feel that there is nothing to be gained from the course other than a license waiver or completion certificate.
And they'll even offer to help you pick up your bike when...opps... if you drop it.
who? me? ;) -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Gosh I sure hope I don't drop It, that certainly would not be worth the price of admission... John Moretz COG# 8462

With TEAM OREGON training if you drop your bike during the evaluation you fail. In my limited experience teaching the IRT (5 sessions) (TEAM OREGONS version of the ERC) I would suggest that you arrive with an open mind and the idea that you are there to learn. I've already seen too many IRT students "think" they know it all and are just looking for quick tips on getting better rather than actually listening and getting better! It's the idea that someone knows just enough to be dangerous. And they usually are! You'll do fine if you listen to the coaches and apply their observational suggestions to your riding. IE: Proper head turns, head and eyes up, making all your transitions before a turn, no in turn decelerations, using both brakes everytime, staying within the boundaries, separation of braking and swerving and of course...... not falling down! ;p AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

I also took the ECR and I found that with the Connie (or any large bike) it was a handful. I took off all my bags and made sure I had only a 1/2 tank of fuel or less to cut down on it's top heavy nature. :) BUT, I did drop her when I was practicing a couple of week before the class..... :gasp: Thank goodness for Murph's tip-over bars.. Yuma, Summer in Yuma is not hell, but hell is a local call :) 2006 Connie http://community.webshots.com/user/Lateck?vhost=community

It's the idea that someone knows just enough to be dangerous. And they usually are!
I remember when I got my green belt in Karate, one of the black belts told me: "You now know enough Karate to get your ::buttocks:: kicked."

Don't sweat the PASS/FAIL deal. Just take the course to learn what you can. You'll probably be golden. If not, take it again. It's worth it not just to get the card (and the insurance discount, or to ride on base, or the ticket dismissal), but for actually becoming a better and safer rider. Unfortunatley for me, they can't teach common sense... but my skills are better for when I'm being stupid. :)

I predict you will learn more than you expect and will enjoy the practice time much more than you expect. I also predict the next time you have to do a slow speed maneuver in a parking lot and zip right through it before realizing what you just did you will get a big grin. ;) No reason whatsoever to sweat it- just keep an open mind, open ears and positive attitude and you will have fun! That reminds me, I'm due for some more practice myself... :) Steve K. '02 Concours COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'

I took the BRC over 10 years ago and have taken the the ERC twice in the past 4 years. Its a great tune up for the season and helps remind me to do the right things. I have a bad habit of not turning my head before entering a turn,,makes a huge difference. No drops for me and I even made it through the box twice without going out of the lines, not when it counted though :( CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Yeah, there's performance anxiety when you know you're riding the box for the test instead of just for practice or fun. Kinda of like doing a tight semi-circle at the grocery store when you know there's a hot 24 year old walking out to her car watching you. In fact, it's a damn good thing most MSF instructors aren't hot 24 year old blondes, nobody'd ever pass.

Thanks to all... I had a great time at the ERC course. It's been way too long since doing a motorcycle course of any kind. I really had no difficulty with it. I did spend some time practicing before I went. A great reminder for me on the "correct way" to ride. I am still a rookie "connie" rider 1st season but it shows how "sporty" this bike can be. I was horsing it all over the place. What a blast! One of the instructors really like my bike said it looks and acts like a BMW. I suspect it was a compliment? At least I hope so. John Moretz COG# 8462

Glad you had a good time at the ERC. Hopefully you've now remembered the things you've forgotten about! Ride safe! AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

I'm a contractor as well, just found out I'll have to take the ERC, the BRC I have they told me it's expired! I work on Little Creek base, they offer the course right on the base, I'm retired Navy, so I'll be able to take it here, my decal's are good to 9/9 and 9/10 so I have a little time. Virginia Beach, VA COG 6517 03 Concours (9/11/04) 01 Concours (8/16/08) USN Retired

Wow your lucky... I am on Andrews AFB, Md. They say you can get in a free class but the catch is has to be an opening that no active duty member needs right up to the day of the class starting! I got bumped twice so to just paid for it myself not to be hassled at the main gate anymore. I have heard Navy & Army bases are going to require it every 3 years. That seems a bit much to me? It's a good course you'll enjoy it I suspect. It's not an aggressive high pressure course in my opinion. I found it really is stuff you do all the time just don't think about it. I really enjoyed talking with the other bikers most. Most people seem most intimidated by doing figure 8's inside the 24'X 60' box. John Moretz COG# 8462