• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My new ride (FJR-1300)

jim snyder

Well she's not new (2008) but new to me since I sold my C-10 two weeks ago. Took her for her maiden voyage today. Big difference between this and my old C-10. Love the extra horsepower, but hate the seat and handlebar position. But those are fixable.
After a few dozen Arkansas twisties today I think me likes it. 

Attachments

• thumbnail_20171013_210749_resized_1[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20171013_210749_resized_1[1].jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 205
Hi,
      Congrats on the new bike....BUT

With all the great deals on C14's...

I don't really "get it"! ;D

Attachments

• 4e01c319dacd9f402c247c9e7903b839--pin-up-girls-on-bikes.jpg
    4e01c319dacd9f402c247c9e7903b839--pin-up-girls-on-bikes.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 169
i went from 03 connie to 08 fjr ae, heli risers and a laam seat and your gonna be very happy  ;).................

Attachments

• fall fjr.jpg
    fall fjr.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 166
Congratulations on the new bike. I did the same thing earlier this year, selling my 2006 C10 and buying  a 2016 1300A model. I'm enjoying the big upgrade into the modern era. More hp, less vibes, and a real cruise control. I have to change the seat too, the stock saddle is terrible. Enjoy the ride. Mark

seagiant1 said:
Hi,
      Congrats on the new bike....BUT

With all the great deals on C14's...

I don't really "get it"! ;D

I tried the C-14 several times and it just didn't trip my trigger. The bike is just too big and top heavy for me. I have been eyeing the FJR's for a year or two and just happened to catch a deal on this one. But hey I saved my engraved COG clutch reservoir cover from my C-10 and it fit right on the FJR clutch reservoir.

Sparkie said:
Congratulations on the new bike. I did the same thing earlier this year, selling my 2006 C10 and buying  a 2016 1300A model. I'm enjoying the big upgrade into the modern era. More hp, less vibes, and a real cruise control. I have to change the seat too, the stock saddle is terrible. Enjoy the ride. Mark

Here is the seat I am looking at. I like the look of this one better than the others.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/World-Sport-Performance-Plus-Seat-Yamaha-FJR1300-06/

I wonder if I'd like an FJR (used - about 08 vintage) over my gen 1 C14.  I'm struggling with the heat, which I'm trying to fix to my satisfaction, but I don't know if it's the weight or tallness of the C14 (and maybe sitting more upright than my previous bike)  but I haven't gotten totally comfortable with it. Mag reviews always mentioned the FJR being more nimble but I didn't ride one. Rode an ST1300 back to back with the C14 and preferred the C14 over that.

C14 suspension is stiff and way overdamped which is $2k to really fix well. Throttle response has issues too but that's fixable with Steve's flash. How is the throttle response on the 08 FJR?  I read they had throttle issues also and not aware of a fix.  Anyway, I'm wondering how much time and $$'s  I spend re-engineering my C14 vs looking at something else. I guess I should keep my eye out for a local FJR I can test ride.

Congrats on you new rides!  Enjoy!  That red and black is kind of cool.

My father has a '14 FJR 1300 ES. I've ridden it many times, it's a great bike and from 2013 on, in most ways, better bikes than the C14. Only pro's of the C14 I can think is that it's slightly cheaper (year to year), we have an LED brake light (brighter) they don't get that until 16+ (where their LED lighting system blows ours away from 16 on), even the 08+ C14's have a slipper clutch (16+ for FJR), 5 speeds plus OD on C14 (Just 5 speed on FJR, 16+ gets 6th gear, 5+OD, though the 5 speed is spaced beautifully on earlier models) and C14 has more power stock (and MUCH more with a flash and full exhaust)

I like the 13+ FJR's electronics better, minus the TPMS that they don't have. It has cruise (13+) compared to our sucker asses  :D A bit less weight makes it a bit more flickable. Feels a bit less top heavy despite the larger 6.6 gallon gas tank. Yamaha obviously cares more about the FJR than Kawi does about the C14 (given the piddly '15 updates to our bike.)

That said, I'll put this file here. Very comprehensive. I wish the C14 had a file like this...

http://www.fjrforum.com/files/fjrcomparo.pdf

One thing about FJR riders, at least they 'get it.' Big(ish) adjustable windscreen, Japanese sport touring. No electronics to the gills like a BMW K1600 (a good bike it's own right), just 'budget' 'unpopular' 'slow selling' sport touring goodness.

The Yamaha factory test ride truck was near me yesterday. I dropped in and took a ride on the FJR. Gotta say I was quite impressed. If I were in the market (and I'm not) it would be on the short list.

Nice Jim!  right now FJR is at the top of my list if/when the C10 goes.  mostly because of passenger comfort.  Tell me more about your seat issue.  I did some test rides and both of us found the seating position nice.  we didn't ride it long enough to test the seat over several hours though.

Sport Rider said:
Nice Jim!  right now FJR is at the top of my list if/when the C10 goes.  mostly because of passenger comfort.  Tell me more about your seat issue.  I did some test rides and both of us found the seating position nice.  we didn't ride it long enough to test the seat over several hours though.
Well my issue with the seat has more to do with my 65 year old boney butt. It may be fine for younger butts but I need softer padding.

Jim Snyder said:
Sport Rider said:
Well my issue with the seat has more to do with my 65 year old boney butt. It may be fine for younger butts but I need softer padding.

LOL....first thing that that comes to mind is "I like big butts and I can not lie..."!!!  :D

The FJR is an awesome bike.  Rode my buddy's back when I still had my '01 C10 and was very impressed.  Only thing that kept me off of one was my wanting something more sporty, hence my present ride.  Great choice enjoy the ride! :motonoises: :great:

FJR is a great bike. I have both an FJR and a c10. Wife likes the c10 better as far as comfort goes. Have the sargent seat on my FJR also. HP isn't as big deal to me, both can get me in trouble. Still have the stock bars on the FJR and the Connie. Put a Rifler screen on the FJR for longer trips. We have done 2 weeks on her with no trunk, and she is a blast. Hope you enjoy her!

Congratulations on the new bike Jim! What are you doing coming to Arkansas & not looking me up  :??:?

Cliff  :beerchug:

Big difference between this and my old C-10

Totally agree!

I also went from a C10 to an FJR. Definitely better in every way in my opinion.

I also tried to like the C14, but once I test rode the FJR, I was sold. The mileage on it was just about where the valves should be checked but I did not get around to it until about 10K later. They were dead on spec and it really wasn't that big of a job.

I have a 2008 also.  :great:

Jim, I picked up a Seat Concepts for my itty biddy six fiddy Versys and like it. Not a Day Long but not $900 either. About $200 shipped for just the front re-do or about $325 for front and rear. . Just road two 500+ mile days this past weekend to the RTB up in Rome, GA.

They send the foam and a cover, it's D-I-Y or you can send your seat in and they will mount the new one for an extra $25.

Obviously with seats, YMMV but it does work for me.

https://seat-concepts.myshopify.com/collections/yamaha-fz-fj-fjr/products/yamaha-2006-16-fjr-1300-gen-2-3?variant=29262669510

Congrats GEORGE......I mean JIM!!!!!!!!!! :)) :great: :motonoises:

Congrats on the new bike Jim...
Don't you dare drop out of COG!!!

While ya'll are talking FJR Seats.
My son has a Corbin for a 2005 FJR. (Gen 1)
Silver striping / excellent condition. $250.

If interested, send me a PM with your cell # and I can send pic's..

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:

While ya'll are talking FJR Seats.
My son has a Corbin for a 2005 FJR. (Gen 1)
Silver striping / excellent condition. $250.

If interested, send me a PM with your cell # and I can send pic's..

Ride safe, Ted

Seat from 2005 (Gen 1) won't fit on a 2008 (Gen 2)

Jim, Congrats on the new FJR! I made the switch to a 2003 FJR and now to a 2013 FJR w/ more bells and whistles.

No foul to COG, as we come for the bike and stay for the people...  ;)  just keep riding with all of us and we love ya!

Just Cliff said:
Congratulations on the new bike Jim! What are you doing coming to Arkansas & not looking me up  :??:?

Cliff  :beerchug:

I was only there for Friday and had to return home and could not get to your neighborhood. Next trip I promise to stay in Greenbrier

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Don't worry Ted I just renewed my membership two weeks before I got the new bike. So you will have to put up with me for
at least another year.

SteveJ. said:
Jim, I picked up a Seat Concepts for my itty biddy six fiddy Versys and like it. Not a Day Long but not $900 either. About $200 shipped for just the front re-do or about $325 for front and rear. . Just road two 500+ mile days this past weekend to the RTB up in Rome, GA.

They send the foam and a cover, it's D-I-Y or you can send your seat in and they will mount the new one for an extra $25.

Obviously with seats, YMMV but it does work for me.

https://seat-concepts.myshopify.com/collections/yamaha-fz-fj-fjr/products/yamaha-2006-16-fjr-1300-gen-2-3?variant=29262669510

Thanks Steve, just spoke with them by phone and will be sending my seat for rebuild soon. 

Hey Jim, surprised you didn't like the way the fjr sits, handlebars to seat. I rode my friends '14, and it felt very much like Shoodaben to me... after about 1 mile I was totally comfortable with the bike.

Look on the bright side, now you have something new to farkle  ;) steve

I thought you ordered a Sergeant Seat last week?

Speaking of Farkles.
    When do you plan to get a pair of Delkevic's?  >:D

Ride safe, Ted

You did the right thing, Jim. I did too almost four years (and 38,000 miles) ago:

I tried the Sargent but it didn't work well for me and sold it. I now have a custom Laam (did a ride-in) and it is the best seat I have ever owned bar-none. But, seats (as well as handlebars, etc.) are very personal and you will have to see what works well for you. FJRs rock.

Dan

Another one here that keeps buying different FJR's when I get an itch to trade,  love the bike!  I prefer the Heli clamp for changing the bars position!  It is really Nice!  You can find them used all the time...  the stock seat with a set of beads works well for me.

Jim, I'm very interested to hear about whatever seat you choose to go with. I'm looking at the sargent myself for my 2016 bike. Mark

Jim, enjoy your bike. It's a good choice. A Gen 2 FJR is a big upgrade from a C-10. It will run well with the C14s. You'll love the fuel injection and the thrust factor. That big smile glued on your face is called "Perm-a-grin".

I just picked up a 2014 FJR1300ES with under 4600 mile this week. Had to drive 680 miles each way to get it. It's very well farkled and has a Seth Lamm seat
built for a 280 lb rider. I run 195 when I behave, so the seat is a little firm. It still feels better than the seat on my stock Gen 1 FJR.

The weather has been wet and cold in Minneapolis this week. I only rode it around the block, but I'm impressed. I'm hoping for a warm, dry spell so I can get out and ride it. This will be fun. One more getting ready for retirement purchase.

Congrats, Jim! That is a great bike. I've ridden two and really liked the ride, especially since they're not nearly so top-heavy as Connies are. You'll run further between fill-ups, but the C14s will still blow you away at full throttle.  ;D

Bigfoot_16 said:
Congrats, Jim! That is a great bike. I've ridden two and really liked the ride, especially since they're not nearly so top-heavy as Connies are. You'll run further between fill-ups, but the C14s will still blow you away at full throttle.  ;D

They may do that but can they catch me in the turns.

Jim Snyder said:
Bigfoot_16 said:

They may do that but can they catch me in the turns.
Nope. For that, advantage FJR with its lower center of gravity and greater flickability!

Hey, as soon as you have a chance, post your MPG figures for a normal (for you, hair on fire) ride. I'm curious to know.