• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My Review Trailer Towing

kat4568

My wife and I towed a Excel II trailer 135 mile to Barber Motorsports last weekend. The trip was back roads, 60 mph at best. The trailer weighed 465 lbs with a tongue weight of 30 pounds. The C14 had no pulling, breaking or wind issues. I did ride in 5th gear most of the way, hills were nothing. The bike got 36 mpg, now camping is affordable for us.
I was very nervous about towing the trailer, but after researching all the posts off the COG site, I used your posts as a guide. Thank you.
The Vintage Bike Show was great and the Parade Laps were really fun. The Concours performed as expected, fast and smooth. I just wish 3 laps could have been 10, maybe 15.
Ken

Well then, we wont tell you how many laps we had as a group(cog only) when the had the national rally nearby a couple years ago. Lake Guntersville Alabama...

Glad ur trailering experience was wonderful. The only negative i experienced towing a trailer with m c10 and c14 were accelerated rear tire wear...properly set up, you can ride like its not even behind you.

I’ve dragged a Cyclemate CM1000 trailer behind my C10 all over heck and creation, including many mountainous roads over into WV, through Deals Gap several times when going to the RWTW Rally in Suches, GA, the BRP, Cherohala Skyway, and…… you get the picture. I can honestly say that I have never seen any appreciable increase in tire, or brake wear on the bike over those many miles with the trailer in tow. I have gone through a number of trailer tires, both from wear and dry rot from non-use during long periods of inactivity.

That’s changed since the pandemic hit. Today, it serves as my large grocery cart and simply as a utility trailer like it was designed to be. Poor truck has only seen a little over 200 miles this past year between inspection periods. Do it all on one of the bikes.

Regardless, congrats on your successful journey. Just be cautious on downhill curvy roads, especially in the wet. A trailer will have the tendency to try and push the rear end around when traction is sketchy.

On the Cherohala:
P9070005-L.jpg

I have a Bushtec Turbo 2 I have been pulling Behind the ZG1000 two up from 2001-2019. Lat time I looked i think I had over 70K on the trailer and am on my 3rd set of trailer tires. I bought by 2016 C`14 still in the case back in 2019 and put a hitch on it in 2020. Probably pulled it with the C-14 for 8k mi. Handles well and you can’t even tell it is there except it reduces the gas mileage by 5 mi/gal at freeway speeds.65BB539D-FB56-41ED-A822-1104F6D30A2D.jpegC877612A-4B3D-4CB7-B80B-3AC895A71BF2.jpeg