• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

National What would you like to see.

LSGiant

Just looking for feed back of what you would like to see at your National Rally

We already are planning on the basic socials. womens breakfast/social, Thursday banquet and Bike show.

Ideas we are working on include.
Seminar and course on rider skills.
Zumo XT tips and tricks.
Basic maintenance demos C10 & C14. (Oil change, brake pad replacement, wheel removal, suspension adjustment)

Feel free to post what you would like to see and we will see what we can do.

Based on comments, it seems a significant number of members have difficulty with low speed handling. Perhaps a seminar explaining, demonstrating and practicing the techniques used?
+1. For me, sharp turns to the left (e.g., a tight U-turn) can be a problem. I'm left handed. Given this, I can make sharp right turns (and right U-turns) much, much easier, but since we don't live in England ... we don't see right U-turns here, unless I create one. :)

What are the thoughts on small Group/Led rides?
We've done it at a few of the Nationals and I thought that it went well. (especially for the new guys)

,,, * The new COGgers met and got to know the Older COGgers and they enjoyed being included.
,,, ** Everyone saw a series of good roads without having to navigate themselves.

Another version of a Group/Led ride might be to identify a gathering point {for a lunch / other}, and have several Groups go different directions and meet there..
(For instance: The little store on Push Mountain Road)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
The people at Americade have created some ride maps in Google maps and provide a link that can be opened in each riders Google map app as a live route to follow. No, I don’t know how it’s done, but it’s a cool idea if someone knows how to do it.

Ron

Google maps uses KML files. I believe we can have the routes available in that format also if there is a demand.

How about best practices on what tools to carry and how to carry.
The good, bad, and ugly on tire repair when you are hundreds of miles from civilization.
I have yet to see how to properly lift a dropped C14 (using Ted's bike of course).

I can show and explain how to install a Vista Cruise throttle lock using my C14 (if I make it there).

I like the tools idea. What are thoughts of having tables set up and those interested could layout or their tool kits. I would like to compare what I carry compared to other folks.
We already are working on tire demos.
I like dropping Ted's bike :)

Yeah the Ted's bike idea wouldnt work tho.... remember its that super fast RED, so as fast as it would go down.......zip and its right back up...too fast to see....

See what i did there Ted, looking out for u buddy....

How about best practices on what tools to carry and how to carry.
The good, bad, and ugly on tire repair when you are hundreds of miles from civilization.
I have yet to see how to properly lift a dropped C14 (using Ted's bike of course).

I can show and explain how to install a Vista Cruise throttle lock using my C14 (if I make it there).
Harry, maybe drop Ted’s bike from a helicopter first?

tables set up and those interested could layout or their tool kits
That's a good suggestion. I can take photos and compare to what I have or need to add to my collection. I have seen in the past what some folks use for storing small parts. Fishing tackle boxes are good examples for storing spare screws and fasteners. There is always something to learn by looking at other riders tools and storage techniques.

I'm not so sure I like the idea of using my bike for a drop test, :eek: ,, but the idea of demonstrating how to pick up a dropped bike would be good.

On another (safer) note; Suspensions and suspension set up is often discussed on the Forum/etc.
So,, How about including basic suspension set up in the Tech Sessions?

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Will all the demos be outside under a shaded tent or do we have a clean, well lit garage at our disposal?

I love burning rubber (and I will find time for this) but if there was enough interest (and proper controlled space) I’d be willing to perform someone’s needed valve inspection whereas at certain primary steps demo + Q&A sessions could be arranged.

I see lots of people apprehensive to tackle this job, and I get that and respect someone owning their limits, but the joy of this work is not being told.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

We will have EZ ups and also I believe we could bring bikes inside. Are you talking a C10 or C14 valve inspect ?

Great thread guys.
My fault for picking on Ted I will try to stay on Topic.

This is a different take on what I'd like to see. I'm thinking of things to get people mixing and making relationships that will last long after the rally is over.

One thing I've seen is on something as simple as the name tags.
  • Put our real name on there...but also our screen name.
  • Add our location. It'd be nice to find out that others live in my neighborhood so I can ride with them later.
I'm sure there's a "mixer" on the first night...but make an effort to get everyone there, and get everyone talking to more than just the 5 or 6 at the table with us.

Is there an area where we can congregate at the end of the day? Or is it just hit or miss?

Just some thoughts...

Chris

A wise man once said to me: make your vocation your vacation….

I personally find the job very rewarding: when I step into the shop the zen-like focus blocks out all else. Anyone needing their valves serviced I think should at least look at the FSM and consider doing it or look for someone as myself or others (Fred may be on vacation too) who pridefully perform the job with focus and care.

If we can get a suitable locale I think it would be fun / eye-opening and possibly for some the first time they’ve looked ‘inside’ to have glance of what’s in there, how it works and how to maintain it.

Wayne, Carol and Blue

As far as the drop test, I think i can get a C-130H....the only question is how far and how fast!

At the 2012 National, Fred Harmon demonstrated how to pick up a dropped C14. Nancy Isley picked it up. The method is counter intuitive, you pick it up with your back turned toward the bike with bent knees. In one motion lift with your knees in a 80 degree vector. Put the jiffy stand down first. Of course if you are not on a level surface then all bets are off.

OK...i propose the drop at 3000 ft MSL at 200 knots.:ROFLMAO:

One thing I've seen is on something as simple as the name tags.
  • Put our real name on there...but also our screen name.
  • Add our location. It'd be nice to find out that others live in my neighborhood so I can ride with them later.
A huge +1.

Also, put the same info on BOTH sides of the Tag. I can't tell you how many times I've been to events / trade shows / COG Nationals talking with someone and their name tag is backwards.

We will have EZ ups and also I believe we could bring bikes inside. Are you talking a C10 or C14 valve inspect ?

Great thread guys.
My fault for picking on Ted I will try to stay on Topic.
Agreed. Ted knows we’re just kidding him. I’d hate to a red bike damaged in any way.😉

C10 / C14 we could put it to a vote, I’m game for either. Or if someone else comfortable (Fred?) wanted to jump in and take one or the other we could do both - I’d be happy to take the C14 in that case.

Several months away however - when will we know if this a possibility for us? Then we can decide which machine(s) (raffle?), second person or team for second machine , etc.

Wayne

IMO, as far as "how-to maintenance" seminars are concerned, I concentrate on the C14. While there were several C10s at the 2021 National, the C14 is the current flagship.

Additionally, the COG library is filled with C10 info ( CHALKDUST, tech articles, etc.)

What are the thoughts on small Group/Led rides?
We've done it at a few of the Nationals and I thought that it went well. (especially for the new guys)

,,, * The new COGgers met and got to know the Older COGgers and they enjoyed being included.
,,, ** Everyone saw a series of good roads without having to navigate themselves.

Ride safe, Ted

I could probably be swayed in to doing this, after all I have ridden these roads a couple of times. 🙂

I love burning rubber (and I will find time for this) but if there was enough interest (and proper controlled space) I’d be willing to perform someone’s needed valve inspection whereas at certain primary steps demo + Q&A sessions could be arranged.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

This is a nice thought, but would anyone want to have their bike tied up a couple days while this is being done or others hang around this long to watch? Not to mention with all the distractions & questions being asked I see to much risk of a mistake being made.

The only reason I like to include the C10 is there seems to still be a lot of new owners of these bikes. It's a great value starter touring bike. Thinking along the lines of if we can get them to come to the rally for some bike tips but stay....

Last edited:
This is a nice thought, but would anyone want to have their bike tied up a couple days while this is being done or others hang around this long to watch? Not to mention with all the distractions & questions being asked I see to much risk of a mistake being made.
Good points Cliff:

If nobody wants to take the risk (although anyone who knows me knows I will control the environment) my machine will be close enough to the next inspection that the C-14 could be used.

C-10 is a significantly less involved valve adjust. I do see many new owners of this machine as well - possibly needing to maintain their new machines.

For those wanting to assume a small risk (controllable risk) your machine valve inspection could be completed at a very reasonable cost (parts) and I would donate my time as a giveback to the group.

Demonstrations should be limited in scope and time, we would want major milestones available for viewing (hands off) and Q&A only.

Don’t even know if there is interest at this point. Great thread to get the conversation started. I would suggest admins after a list of ideas are accumulated send out a poll and see what ideas, many good ones already, get interest.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Fortunately for myself i havent had the need to have repairs or tires put on at the rally in the last couple of nationals ive attented. BUT, in the past when i did need a tire at 3 other nationals , the dealers didnt have any in stock and 1 wasnt even made aware the the COG national was happening close by, lost some riding time, but met some great unselfish folks that were extremely helpful...

I would hope that the 'committee ' makes the nearby Kawasaki dealership and popular independent service shops aware of the dates for the rally. Just in case.

Fortunately for myself i havent had the need to have repairs or tires put on at the rally in the last couple of nationals ive attented. BUT, in the past when i did need a tire at 3 other nationals , the dealers didnt have any in stock and 1 wasnt even made aware the the COG national was happening close by, lost some riding time, but met some great unselfish folks that were extremely helpful...

I would hope that the 'committee ' makes the nearby Kawasaki dealership and popular independent service shops aware of the dates for the rally. Just in case.
Yes........especially for folks from the left or right coasts.

The tire situation was already on the list.
We are exploring a couple different options.
But thanks everyone for bringing it up.
Great thread,some items were not on the "list".

I would like to see the battery replaced in the old style tpm sensor. I'm sure this is pretty basic for some people but I would like to see how easy it really is. I have a spare sensor that could be used.

Dale

We did this In Alabama but there’s never a guarantee that they really understand how far some of our folks travel to get there.

We did this In Alabama but there’s never a guarantee that they really understand how far some of our folks travel to get there.

If a traveller thinks they will need a new tire by the end of the Rally they could always Amazon one to the hotel or local dealer ahead of time .

The only reason I like to include the C10 is there seems to still be a lot of new owners of these bikes. It's a great value starter touring bike. Thinking along the lines of if we can get them to come to the rally for some bike tips but stay....
I would be happy to wave the flag for those of us "stuck" with carbs, 16" rear wheels (oops, I run a Mean Streak), easier-to-fit cruise controls (if you can find one) and numb hands/wrists.

Seriously, my C10 and I are willing to be demo mules for any C10-focused tech session. I can show off my 114K, somehow still perfect cam lobes! Too bad my fork seals are too far gone to wait til next June... :cool:

My tires were good for those rallys, i found the biggest bolt that could/would puncture a tire on one with only 1500 miles on it. And the other caught roofing nails up sidewall, (must have been leaned over when i waa attacked). Cant plan for those, and tire repair kits didnt work...

My tires were good for those rallys, i found the biggest bolt that could/would puncture a tire on one with only 1500 miles on it. And the other caught roofing nails up sidewall, (must have been leaned over when i waa attacked). Cant plan for those, and tire repair kits didnt work...
I think I may know where your bolt/nails came from. {But I would never tell on Ironbutt Al}.

Ride safe, Ted

Registration will not be until sometime after the first of the year. The venue will not guarantee food prices until then.
You can book and lock in your hotel room right now though.

Well my memory leaks. Must be age related lol. I had already been advised when registration would most likely open.

We did the tool pack and puncture seminars at Cortez. I think they are both worth repeating. Good seminars. How about riding gear? I know Klim and Aerostich are both great supporters. Maybe get LD comfort or Revzilla to do a how to ride comfortable 500 miles through rain and sun? Boot's, gloves etc. Some of us don't trailer (sorry Ted).

Yes, Mark, and with Cortez being my first National, I really appreciated those two learning opps. By the time Eureka Springs rolls around, those two subjects will definitely be worth revisiting, especially for some of our newer COG brothers and sisters who've joined since Cortez.

Not sure how or if this might apply to Eureka Springs, but...I've attended each rally since Cortez 2015, and one of the best memories from those rallies (out of dozens) was the appearance by Dave Despain at the banquet in Helen in 2016. He was witty, supremely knowledgeable, approachable, and answered all the questions asked of him. He was truly one of "us" and I left an even bigger fan than I had been prior. Now, I'm pretty sure this was possible only because he lived an hour or so away from Helen, but what an impression he left. And I was blown away, too, that the rally team thought of this and managed to make it happen. Also, having the gentleman from the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum with us in Lake Guntersville was also a lark. So, my suggestion would be to keep the guest speaker thing alive, if possible.

Based on comments, it seems a significant number of members have difficulty with low speed handling. Perhaps a seminar explaining, demonstrating and practicing the techniques used?
I would second the idea to do some skills work during the Rally. With the proper waivers, the state MSF group should be able to offer something.

I would second the idea to do some skills work during the Rally. With the proper waivers, the state MSF group should be able to offer something.
There are (probably) enough MSF RiderCoaches in the club to put this on, if you're not looking for some kind of "training certificate."

I agree with Chris that anything to make it easier to meet other members. We ALL tend to stick to our comfort zone and people we know. I have been to over 10 nationals and maybe only truley met and talk to half the people that I see every year. My bad but we all need a push sometimes. Have everyone switch tables every fifteen minutes or something. Speed dating :)
Be sure the badges help you put online and reality together.
Be sure people at the hotel or the camp ground know where to gather in the evenings.

Bad news folks :( They closed the Salad Bar at the restaurant. If you been there you know to be sad. They did say you can get any of that off the menu now though.

Hi Everyone
I just read through this thread beginning to end. I want to thank everyone for their comments and willingness to help. We will try to accommodate as many as we can.