• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

(NE) CT - Camping Weekend in Western CT - May 4th - 6th - Location Change!

ghabel

Join hosts Greg and Tracey Habel, Pat and Sher Mulloy for a fun camping weekend with home base at the Black Rock State Park Campground in Watertown, CT.  There will be a day ride on Saturday too.  Bring a friend.  ^-^

Details and sign up n the calendar at:  http://cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetailPublic2.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=155271&mo=5&tDate=%7Bd%20%272012%2D05%2D01%27%7D

Don't like camping?  Come just for the Saturday ride.  Sing up for the ride only here: http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=160890&mo=5&tDate=%7Bd%20%272012%2D05%2D01%27%7D

Everyone that would like to camp w/ us this year please email me ur name & full mailin addy to ride09st@yahoo.com by 4/15/12 as I'll be goin to Black Rock when they open on 4/20/12 w/ the list of names to talk to them about blockin off certain sites for the weekend for us & I'm guessin the more people we have comin the easier it may be to get them to save camp sites for us & in talkin w/ them last year they said if we needed to they'd give us a camp site just to park the bikes & I'll post all the updates that weekend & the more COG'ers that come from CT the better as it'll save poeple the out of state fees as we're allowed 3 small tents & up to 4 adults per site so I have room for 1 more tent w/ 2 adults on my site & hope we get a bigger turn out than last year!!! :)

Greg,

If you don't mind me asking. Where is the ride headed? Although I signed up to participate. I'm trying to figure out how feasible this may be for me. Depending on the route, maybe I can do the ride, or maybe only part of it. (depending on what direction it takes)  But I kind of need to have an idea which way your going, so that I can decide on this.  If you have this as a surprise, you could PM with some idea's where it's going. If not, I also would understand.

Bob, the ride is heading to Bear Mountain in NY, then a tavern 30 mins south west for lunch. Then the route will go back to the campground for arrival before 4:30 pm.    We're working out the ride route details (Ben and Karl).

Well if that's the case, I will try my darnedest to be there. But since you will be in my neck of the woods, I probably won't make the full trip all the way back to the campgrounds. But instead peel off sometime after lunch and head home from there. (no sense in riding all the way back and forth twice.  Thanks Greg. I'll talk to you more about it at the tech day next month. ;)

Greg Habel said:
Bob, the ride is heading to Bear Mountain in NY, then a tavern 30 mins south west for lunch. Then the route will go back to the campground for arrival before 4:30 pm.    We're working out the ride route details (Ben and Karl).

A tavern 30 minutes Southwest of Bear Mountian.  ::)  Hmm, that sounds like it might be Rhodes North Tavern in Sloatsburg where we will be having a Meet & Greet Sunday, April 22nd.  Vicki knows the owners and the food at Rhodes is delicious!
15.gif

rhodesfront.jpg

Rhodes North Tavern 40 Orange Turnpike (NY-17) Sloatsburg, NY

COG-528 said:
Greg Habel said:

A tavern 30 minutes Southwest of Bear Mountian.  ::)  Hmm, that sounds like it might be Rhodes North Tavern in Sloatsburg where we will be having a Meet & Greet Sunday, April 22nd.  Vicki knows the owners and the food at Rhodes is delicious!]

rhodesfront.jpg

Rhodes North Tavern 40 Orange Turnpike (NY-17) Sloatsburg, NY

What a shameless plug!!!  :nananana:

COG-528 said:
Greg Habel said:

A tavern 30 minutes Southwest of Bear Mountian.  ::)  Hmm, that sounds like it might be Rhodes North Tavern in Sloatsburg where we will be having a Meet & Greet Sunday, April 22nd.  Vicki knows the owners and the food at Rhodes is delicious!
15.gif

<snip>

Maybe because Ben had already let the cat out of the bag when he said he and Abbe had been there, scouting for the camping weekend ride!  ;)

Cap'n Bob said:
COG-528 said:
Greg Habel said:

15.gif

<snip>

Maybe because Ben had already let the cat out of the bag when he said he and Abbe had been there, scouting for the camping weekend ride!  ;)
Nah!  I started reading the thread from the last post going up so I didn't see Ben's post until after I had responded to Greg's post.

Bump.  Just a reminder, Karl needs to know by April 14th if you want a campsite.  See the contact info on the calendar.

OK COG'ers if u want me to pre reg u for the campout on 5/4 to 5/6/12 send me ur name & address this week as I'm goin this Friday on 4/20 to talk to them about savin us an area to camp even though it's on a 1st come 1st serve basis until Memorial Day Weekend & so far we have 9 people signed up & I will let u know all the details this weekend after I talk to the Park Rangers & hope to c more sign up by then!!!  :)

oh yeah everyone should be prayin for at least a rain/snow free weekend for us!!!  ;)  :))

oh yeah I forgot u can email me ur name & addy info by clickin on my profile name!!!  ^-^

OK here's the campin update as it's still on a 1st come 1st serve basis, so I'm goin to be at the park early so when they open on 5/4/12 I can reserve the # of sites we need to camp & if u send me ur name & address I'll pre reg a site for u although u'll still have to stop at the office when u get there to get ur park pass & all I really need to know is how many want to camp w/ us & do u want ur own camp site or r u sharin w/ someone???

The area I think would be best for us is sites 24 thru 35 as it's at the top of the campground & has nice big flat sites & is close to the bathhouse which the bathhouse near the sites in the 50's will be open as the bathhouse up by site 34 will be closed that weekend & I was thinkin sites 25 & 27 as the host sites since it's close to the drinkin water & sites 29, 31, 33, & 35 on that side r nice big flat also!!!

I do recomend u bring something to put under ur kick stand as we'll be parkin in the grass on nice flat sites close to the road & I myself will be gettin a site which is cheaper since I live in CT w/ 1 other COG'er on my site & we have room for 1 more COG'er w/ a small tent as we can put up to 3 small tents & up to 6 people per site!!!

lookin forward to campin & ridin & a nice sunny weekend & c u soon!!!

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/map_of_Black_Rock_State_Park/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&search=site&contractCode=CT&parkId=100102&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

Ride routes have been finalized.  Thank you Ben and Karl.  I'll post again once I have them uploaded.

Please bring your EZ-Pass or $1.50.... there is a one way toll on the Bear Mt bridge heading east ( return route).

Departure time from the campground has been updated.  Be at the campground entrance for 7:45 am on Saturday for a prompt 8:00 am departure.  This is to ensure we are back at the campground by 6:30 pm and have sufficient time for our lunch stop.

Greg Habel said:
Departure time from the campground has been updated.  Be at the campground entrance for 7:45 am on Saturday for a prompt 8:00 am departure.  This is to ensure we are back at the campground by 6:30 pm and have sufficient time for our lunch stop.

Your killing me Greg. I'll have to leave home in the dark now!  :-[

You could always camp at the campground.  :))

Seriously, you could always download the route file and plan on meeting them along the route.

I may try and meet the group for lunch at Rhodes North Tavern if I'm free that day.

Just signed up for the weekend, although I can only stay through Saturday. Looking forward to it! Is anyone looking to sub-lease a portion of their camp site to a small-tent-toten camper?

Just talked to Karl....all is set. See you all there. Looks like great weather!

Greg Habel said:

What is your expected ETA for lunch at Rhodes North Tavern?

Well I still plan on trying to meet y'all at the campsite Sat morning. But if it's wet when it's time to go, I will probably pull the plug. (Here's where I whine) I'm not going out in the rain and dark unless I need to. So if it's raining Saturday morning, I might not be there. But if it's dry when it's time to head out, I should see you at the gate. It should be full day light before I get to Connecticut.
Although I do have a fairly big family function tomorrow night. Hopefully I will be rested and up on time!  :-\

I'll be in the college parking lot getting training bike out of the container around the same time you folks are meeting at the campground gate.  I'll be out/inside the college all day.  Have a great ride.

Thanks Steve.  Tracey and I are really looking forward to it.  We'll be arriving at the campground on Friday at about 1 pm to check in.

Greg Habel said:
Thanks Steve.  Tracey and I are really looking forward to it.  We'll be arriving at the campground on Friday at about 1 pm to check in.

You lucky dogs...  I'll be at the college right after work FRI 5:30-9:30PM.  Fingers crossed you (and I) will have a mostly dry weekend.  If not, all of use will be riding in the rain. 

It looks like we're goin to have nice weather as it stopped rainin for now  ;) & maybe goin to be a little chilly Sunday mornin & hope the rain stays away & c u all at the campground sometime 2day!!!  :)

Well I had an interesting day today with the ride. First off I want to thank all involved who came and put on this adventure. I got in over 300 miles riding today. Although I still get the idiot award for leaving my tank bag at the gas station. There's a first for everything. Hopefully this will be my first and last. It might have been better had I not discovered this 45 miles into the ride!  :-\ 
    Normally one bad experience keeps you from making the same mistake. I hope this is the case here.  :-[    In this case it cost me the majority of the ride. But I'm glad I was able to re-connect with y'all further down the line. So my apologies for the disruption in the smooth flow of the ride. I hope y'all had a great ride back to the camp site. Here's the pictures that I took.  Thanks again folks.  :beerchug:

Bob

Here's a link to the photo's:  http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/582752234lYllGq

My class ran long (don't ask) and I never made it to the campground.  :truce:

We want to thank everyone for joining us for a great weekend of camping.  We especially want to thank Karl for assisting in the campground reservations and making up part of the ride route for Saturday's ride.  Also special thanks to Ben for planning out and leading the 2nd half of the ride; and both Ben and Abbe for the great lunch stop.  Abbe did a great job with the weather with her special weatherdance (one that we will request again next year)!

Thank you to our partners in crime - Pat & Sher of the Habelloy clan - without your help we wouldn't be able to pull this off every year.

We're looking for a volunteer to write a small article for the North East Newsletter.  Please contact me if interested.

Here's some pictures from the weekend

Thanks everyone for a great weekend!  Abbe, I want to thank you for guarding that NASTY spider to make sure he did not hitch a ride home with me!  :-\
Pat & Sher - you guys make the Habelloys powerful and able to accomplish great things.  We couldn't do what we do without your help!  THANK YOU!  For those who may be interested in another camping outing we are having a NO FRILLS camping the end of September(see the calendar), that means no home cooking-sorry.  For that you have to wait til next year.  :103:

Thank you to Greg, Tracey, Pat, and Sherry for putting on another fabulous camping weekend!  The rain held off and we had bits of sun all weekend.  Thank you also to Karl, Greg, Abbe, and Ben for planning the ride.  It was perfect, as was the company.  I totally enjoy hanging with all of you and can't wait to see you all in a few weeks!!!

I will be posting up PICS and a video soon.

Tom

Special thanks  to Greg, Tracey, Pat, and Sherry for yet another wonderful COG weekend. I nominate  the Habelloys for COGGERS of the Year! They truly exemplify the true spirit of camaraderie. Tracey, the cookies got home in good shape, Abbe will send you a post about it later. We took the long way home via the Toymakers Cafe in Falls Village, CT for lunch,  took many  backroads and arriving home 170 miles later at about 3:40pm. Here are a few pictures.

DSC02647.JPG
DSC02648.JPG
DSC02650.JPG
DSC02651.JPG
DSC02652.JPG
DSC02653.JPG
DSC02655.JPG
DSC02658.JPG
DSC02659.JPG
DSC02659.JPG

Pat and Sher in MA said:
Finally got around to uploading my photos from the camping trip. Just wanted to say Thank you to
Greg & Tracey for organizing this annual event and also thank all of you who came out and attended
this little trip. Sher & I had a great time and look forward to seeing everyone soon.

Picture slideshow: http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/582778517gLMmrY

Nice pictures.  Tents must pack a lot smaller now compared to the last time I bought one, because I could not see any sign of camping gear on Ben & Abbie's motor.

Nice pictures.  Tents must pack a lot smaller now compared to the last time I bought one, because I could not see any sign of camping gear on Ben & Abbie's motor.
[/quote]

That's because we have the new nano camping equipement.

Here are my photos:

https://plus.google.com/photos/103145028103173749314/albums/5741416753113841857

Tom

Nice pictures Tom, Well except for that one of me without a hat  :'(

Ben & Abbe packed gear for two all in the bags and top case. It was amazing to
see all that stuff fit in such a small space.