• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

(NE) ME - South Eastern Maine Meet and Greet - August 18th

GPS routes are now posted here:http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/clubdocdisplay.cfm?clubID=1328&docID=20791&priv=0

It's about a 3 hour loop going from Scarborough up to Sebago Lake, then a bit north, then south back to Scarborough to end near rt 95 near a gas station.  The long range forcast is looking great and Spurwinks Country Kitchen is excited to be our meet and greet lunch start.  Hoping we get as many as we had in VT (15).  Come on join us!

Just signed up and am planning on bringing my friend Andrea. :) 

The current weather forecast is for 50% chance of thunderstorms, which is 20% higher than it was for the last M & G in VT and I swear I saw someone building an ark on the ride home from that one. I think you would get a better turnout if you arranged for better weather....  ;D

Brian

Greg Habel said:
Join us for lunch at Spurwinks Country Kitchen in Scarborough ME followed by a ride in the area. 
Bring a friend along to introduce them to COG.  ^-^

Details and sign-up at: http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=161145&mo=8&tDate=%7Bd%20%272012%2D08%2D05%27%7D

Brian,
Is that your new name for the hoof or are you referring to your wife Andrea?

The forcast just changed for 50% sunshine.  This new england weather is so unpredictable!

Oh - I'm getting LOTS of mleage out of your cat joke.  It's a 100% guaranteed laugh so far.  I am still however learning from the master B on delivery.
I see people in the hallway at work and they give me the open arms splat cat greeting.  Could this greeting be done on a motorcycle and become the new COG greeting sign?

It appears so and we (the <real> Brian and Andrea) would like to think the 'another' ones are.... you.

;D

Brian

Brian_Kellett_NH said:
Wait......, there's ANOTHER Brian and Andrea? :great:

Wow, that is risky Greg.... Andrea might just clop you with Mr. Elkhoof this Sat. until you know which is which. :-\

The Cat Joke TM is very good but you really need Andrea to help you tell it properly. I have a couple of other favorite standby's as well; one will make you groan and the other will make you grind your back teeth while backing up at reasonably high speed- unfortunately I cannot tell them everywhere like The Cat Joke. One is politically incorrect (but my very favorite joke) and the other one is just terribly incorrect.

All I can think of about the weather Sat. is that it is a three hour ride for us and 'A three hour ride.... a three hour ride. The weather started getting rough, the tiny elk hoof was tossed....' and so forth.  ;D

Brian

Greg Habel said:
Brian,
Is that your new name for the hoof or are you referring to your wife Andrea?

The forcast just changed for 50% sunshine.  This new england weather is so unpredictable!

Oh - I'm getting LOTS of mleage out of your cat joke.  It's a 100% guaranteed laugh so far.  I am still however learning from the master B on delivery.
I see people in the hallway at work and they give me the open arms splat cat greeting.  Could this greeting be done on a motorcycle and become the new COG greeting sign?

BDF said:
Just signed up and am planning on bringing my friend Andrea. :) 

The current weather forecast is for 50% chance of thunderstorms, which is 20% higher than it was for the last M & G in VT and I swear I saw someone building an ark on the ride home from that one. I think you would get a better turnout if you arranged for better weather....  ;D

Brian

I don't think I have ever ridden in rain like what I hit on the way home from VT. I think my boots are still wet....

Yeah, us too- it was raining about as hard as anything else I have ridden through. You know when cars are pulling over it must be getting bad.

The amazing thing is that we actually found another bike riding in that mess- a single tail light up high and kinda' fat so it looked like a ST. I had to really work at catching up with him and it turned out to be a C-14 from RI!

We stayed pretty dry but my helmet leaks and the visor fogs like crazy- cracking it open to clear it makes it leak worse....

Brian

kathybrj said:
I don't think I have ever ridden in rain like what I hit on the way home from VT. I think my boots are still wet....

Sorry to hijack.  Do any of you guys know a good lawyer in your area?  I have a traffic incident in southern me that requires some professional assistance.  Please PM if you know someone.

Thanks
Anthony

Greg,

Is this thing still going off if it rains tomorrow? We are still planning on riding there but want to make sure the event is on before we leave- looks almost certain to rain for at least part of the trip if not all of it.

Brian

Brian,
Just saw this.  I think you are 1 week early.  The ride is on the 18th.  How was your ride?

Sure, you thought you would trip me up with your diabolical plan! Sad to say, you almost did but when I was in the garage I heard a very faint whisper 'Wrong day, wrong day' over and over again. At first I thought it was just the usual voices but then realized that it had a northwestern accent- Mr. Elk hoof was cluing me in! Then I looked at the calendar again and realized what you did- you posted that the event was on the 18th all the while suspecting I would read that as the 11th! You are an evil genius!

:D

What is amazing is that both Andrea and I 'knew' it was 'this' Saturday. After not getting any response from anyone on the forum, I wondered if it was still on due to the weather and we decided not to go. THEN we realized that we had the wrong week <shakes head in pathetic realization>. I guess the bright side is that we still have plenty of time to make this M & G. And of course that we provided comic relief for you....  ;D

So this guy's driving down a road. It is kind of a rural road. He drives and drives and drives WHEN SUDDENLY he does not hit a cat. Turns out that he was a week early and the cat is curled up and sleeping soundly on the couch in that one house near that road....

Brian

Greg Habel said:
Brian,
Just saw this.  I think you are 1 week early.  The ride is on the 18th.  How was your ride?

BDF said:
So this guy's driving down a road. It is kind of a rural road. He drives and drives and drives WHEN SUDDENLY he does not hit a cat. Turns out that he was a week early and the cat is curled up and sleeping soundly on the couch in that one house near that road....

Brian

Is the cat's name Schrodinger?  :pokestick:

It could be but the cat in the aforementioned story does not have or really need a name. It is more of an action / reaction story than a personality story.

But now that you mention it that might not be a bad idea to work that name in there. I so hate quantum mechanics that anything that pokes fun at it cannot be all bad and in fact is probably pretty good.

If you are going to Maine for the M & G this Sat. you just might see a live performance of The Cat Joke.

Brian

gMitch said:
Is the cat's name Schrodinger?  :pokestick:

I hate to admit this but I've shown up early for 2 rides.  :-[ First time by a day and second time by a week.  Still had a good time any way  ;)

Yeah, we showed up for a ride in CT last year a day early and actually met up with another Cogger who had done the same thing! So we went for a ride, and then we went back the next day and had another great day with the other, more able Coggers who apparently knew how to read a calendar.  ;D

<laughing and shaking my head at the same time>

But I am trusting Greg this time when he says this event in on the 18th, unlike last time when he fooled me by saying the event was on the 18th knowing full well that I would misread it as the 11th.

Brian

David_Fazzuoli_MA said:
I hate to admit this but I've shown up early for 2 rides.  :-[ First time by a day and second time by a week.  Still had a good time any way  ;)

Weather is looking so-so but we're a go regardless.  Just bring your rain gear in case.
I'll be making the lunch reservations today to give them an approximate count (they requested).
Can't wait to try Bob's home-made pies.

18th, 18th, 18th, 18th,......

Good to see at least ONE Brian and Andrea team will make it.  :great:  Sorry we can't make this one, but hope to see you all soon.

Sorry you won't be there but we will cover for you, try not to give the term "Brian and Andrea" a bad reputation and try to render a high- quality telling of 'The Cat Joke' (TM).

We do intend to make this one but again, probably not going to ride 6 hours in the rain even if lunch is on Greg.  :eek:

Brian

Brian_Kellett_NH said:
Good to see at least ONE Brian and Andrea team will make it.  :great:  Sorry we can't make this one, but hope to see you all soon.

The forecast is improving with 30% chance of showers in the morning, better in the afternoon.
Tracey and I are going up Friday night and staying over till Sunday via the camper.

Reporting in from Falmouth Walmart.  Rain is light but steady.  The afternoon is looking better.  Mike Benham called me and is definitely going.  I'll be doing the ride with anyone who wants to go.  Reservations made at the restaurant for 10 people.  Come joins us!

Raining hard here in RI. We are gearing up now and may be a little late depending on what speeds we can maintain. Lunch better be very, very good.  ;D  Today we may be telling The Wet Cat Joke (TM).

Brian

Springer said:
Weather here in Southern Maine is grim this morning, raining now, may clear off later this afternoon.

:'( wasn't able to make it today but want to know the outcome? numbers? weather?

cat joke or wet cat joke? Pics?

Hope everyone had a great time!  :)

Thank you everyone that attended.  For the Meet and Greet  and the ride the weather was perfect.  Mid 70's partly sunny, and NO RAIN!
Down south in MA there was plenty of rain but up north it was excellent.
We had 8 people in attendance including: Habels, Bob Dallon, Brian and Andrea Felice, Mike Benham, new member John Spring, and his friend and future member Steve Goff.  Steve just bought a brand new black 2012 C14.  Both of them will be attending future COG functions and we look forward to seeing them.

We had fun breaking in a new waitress named Hannah at Spurwinks Country Kitchen in Scarborough.  She took it in stride and we all eventually got our meals.  Prices were decent and portions were just right.  Bob, Mike and I saved room for Uncle Don's homemade pies.  Wow - they were all very tasty.  Unclde Don stopped by just to thank us for the business.

With 3 new victims, Brian told the much anticipated cat joke.  Brian, thanks to you I have had much mileage on that joke but I must admit you have a distinct advantage of Andrea bursting into joyful tears in preparation for the joke. 

After lunch Bob, Mike, and I headed out on the "untested" "borrowed/modified" ride.  As usual we got to experience some unexpected U turns.  Seems when the ride was originally published, certain private roads were then public.  Mike tells me this is a common occurence with the wealthy buying up shoreline public property to prevent access.  I of course ingonored the newly posted "Dead End" sign thinking it was a ruse.

Once we got through the streets of Portland we headed up to the Sebago lake area.  Tourists were abound for sure but we pressed on for better roads.  After going north and west of Sebago we hit 160 and it was VERY NICE indeed! 

Bob and Mike departed at the intersection of 160 and 25 to head home while I headed back to meet Tracey in the camper.  She had picked out a free beach at which we enjoyed a sunset dinner and walk.    Gorgeous!

When suddenly (Brian that was for you), on the way back to free overnight parking at Walmart I noticed a heavy odor of what I though was unburnt fuel.  After awhile this became almost unbearable.  Hmmmm, could it be the infamous hydrolock symptoms showing up - gas sneaking by the float valves in into the carbs?  But she was running fine.  After pulling into Walmart I did some investigation.  The gas smell was now more like raw gas smell.  Interesting you say. 
Let's turn the petcock to prime and see what happens.  Gas comes squirting out the side of the petcock.  It's now late Saturday night.  No Kawi dealerships are open in the area or on Sunday.  Now what?

Tracey and I have a couple of beers and mull it over.  Plan A - see if maybe, just maybe a Kawi dealer is open and maybe, just maybe they have a petcock or rebuild kit.  Plan B - The camper has a hitch, pray that some UHaul place is open on Sunday AND has a motorcycle trailer.  Plan C- call Mr Pat Mulloy (of the now famous and infamous Habelloys)  for a search and recovery mission.

Long story short we were able to find a UHaul place with a trailer but NO ball, NO straps, NO wiring harness adapter.  So we walked across the parking lot to pick up our supplies at Wally World, we then drove to Brunswick Maine to pick up the trailer.
Made it home save and Christabelle is in the Maisson Habel garage awaiting her owner to order parts (hello Murph).

Pictures of the Meet and Greet to be posted soon.

Sorry I missed it.  Hopefully next time.

Sorry to hear about your mechnical difficulties ... it appears that you were resourceful.

Wow Greg.......eventful trip.....sounds like my battery experience in Connecticut at the year-end party. Luckily MadRiverMarc stuck around to help and all turned out well.

Nnever a dull moment when you're with a COGer... ;)

So, you're saying Kawasaki left you stranded miles from home caused by a deficiency long-known by the manufacturer......

I'm sure glad the C14's aren't like that.  :rotflmao:

Petcock rebuild complete and I'm riding again!  The diaphragm on the old one was torn, probably just use 41k on the bike or that nasty ethanol.    Did an oil change too.  For those c10 owners who haven't done the Bergman engineering spin on filter adapter - so much easier, less mess, large choice of car oil filters, and no initial dry oil start up after an oil change.  Well worth the price at Murphs.
Bring on the next COG event!