• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

(NE) VT- Meet and Greet in Springfield, VT - July 28th.

ghabel

Come have lunch with us in Sprinfield, VT at the 56 Main Street Restaurant.  Bring a friend.  ^-^
Ride to follow which includes a stop at the Underground Telescope Museum.  Take your picture there and add it to your collection of sites visited as part of the MA/ME/NH/VT Roadside America contest:  http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,31547.0.html

Details and signup at http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=161144&mo=7&tDate=%7Bd%20%272012%2D07%2D05%27%7D

The long range forecast is looking good!  :)

I am working on getting a tour of the Telescope museum however it is a by invitation only.  We may be allowe to take a picture outside of the above ground area only. 

Other than that little snafu, I have posted the GPS route which is about 3 hours long.  http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/clubdocdisplay.cfm?clubID=1328&docID=20743&priv=0

So far only 5 people are signed up for the ride - come on down for just the meet and greet, the ride, or both!

I may try to take a ride up for the M&G. It's something like a 4 hour ride each way (the fast route) for me. So I probably wouldn't do the ride afterwards.

Cap'n Bob said:
I may try to take a ride up for the M&G. It's something like a 4 hour ride each way (the fast route) for me. So I probably wouldn't do the ride afterwards.

Hope to see you there Bob.

Sounds like a good one!  We'd be there if we could, but wedding rehearsal is kind of important.  I need to get this right......  ;D

See you Sunday!

kathybrj said:
I may try to make this one. Probably just for lunch though......I'll register if I think I can do it. ;)

Kathy,
Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday!

Tracey & Greg

Just signed up for this one. It's been awhile for a good ride
I think I will check-in at Berkshire East for their zip line run on the way back home

I think we're gonna try to make it, (if Kirby & Mr. Elkhoof let us) :rotflmao: but same as Bob, it's just over a 3 hour ride (a three hour tour, a three hour tour.  The weather started getting rough, The tiny ship was tossed) oops sorry....)  got sidetracked....anyway...
IF we are able to come it'll be for lunch only.....we'll keep an eye on the weather before deciding for sure, but we'd love to see everyone!!!

Andrea

Just registered for M&G. Looks to be a nice 2 hour ride from Lake George area.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

May try to make it, 3.5 hours, weather dependant. May decide to take the cage, my sister and her family are in New Hampshire about an hour away, south east of Springfield.  If I bring the car then it will not rain. :mad:
FYI, Mt Snow has the rooms in the Grand Summitt for $100 a night last time I looked (2011 National Flashback).

The current weather forecast is calling for a 40% chance of rain. I am willing to go if you are.... :)  Your raingear probably needs rinsing anyway.

As far as Kirby and the talisman, no problem; I have a firm grip on Kirby and Mr. Elkhoof is going with us. Well, I have a reasonably firm grip on Kirby. OK, Kirby has a moderate grip on me but I still expect to win that argument about him staying at home.... probably.

Brian

andreaF said:
I think we're gonna try to make it, (if Kirby & Mr. Elkhoof let us) :rotflmao: but same as Bob, it's just over a 3 hour ride (a three hour tour, a three hour tour.  The weather started getting rough, The tiny ship was tossed) oops sorry....)  got sidetracked....anyway...
IF we are able to come it'll be for lunch only.....we'll keep an eye on the weather before deciding for sure, but we'd love to see everyone!!!

Andrea

Brian, we will definitely be there.  I see a 30 % chance of rain for saturday with isolated thunderstorms.  Won't stop me from riding.
Tracey and I are camping in Jamaica VT to check suitability for next years COG camping.

Yep, I figured you would be there, I was really answering Andrea. She may have to ride up and / or back in the rain and I am connected to the other end of her intercom.  :eek: ;D

Brian

Greg Habel said:
Brian, we will definitely be there.  I see a 30 % chance of rain for saturday with isolated thunderstorms.  Won't stop me from riding.
Tracey and I are camping in Jamaica VT to check suitability for next years COG camping.

BDF said:
... and I am connected to the other end of her intercom.  :eek: ;D

Brian

The advice I have been given in the past re: intercoms and relationships is ... don't remember to charge them!  :rotflmao:  YMHMV (Your Marital Happiness May Vary)

Yeah well ours is a Starcom and powered directly from the bike so that isn't an option.

Actually the intercom and Andrea are fine, I just wanted to let her know that it <might> rain on us for part (OK, possibly all) of the trip. Riding in the rain is lousy; riding in the rain and having someone tell you that it is lousy does not make it any better. :)  We have decent rain gear though and can stay dry as long as it is not too hot out- nothing is worse than climbing into a rubber suit when the temps. climb above 90 F.

I am looking forward to this thing though as it will be our first fairly long ride of the season, and you folks are pretty good to hang out with (although this one will be without alcohol....). Who knows- maybe there will be yet another gripping rendition of 'The Cat Joke' <trademarked>.

Brian

WG said:
The advice I have been given in the past re: intercoms and relationships is ... don't remember to charge them!  :rotflmao:  YMHMV (Your Marital Happiness May Vary)

Looks like isolated t'storms.......30% chance of rain for Saturday. Heck, that's definitely doable. I haven't melted yet and I'm getting good at finding shelter from hail.... :beerchug:

Trying to talk Harriet into taking the bike. Don't enjoy slabbing in the rain especially with a not so happy SO. I was going to take today off but weather for today isn't so nice as Monday is going to be so I switched and took Monday. We're playing gypsies this weekend, don't know where we will end up, Saratoga, Burlington, Montreal. We do want to make this M&G but it is undetermined if it will be connie or cage yet. Greg are you riding up tommorow morning, bike camping or towing? If we ride up probably take Ma10/9/63 or Ma10/Ma5 which will provide more spots to hit the slab and pit stops.

Bob_C_CT said:
Trying to talk Harriet into taking the bike. Don't enjoy slabbing in the rain especially with a not so happy SO. I was going to take today off but weather for today isn't so nice as Monday is going to be so I switched and took Monday. We're playing gypsies this weekend, don't know where we will end up, Saratoga, Burlington, Montreal. We do want to make this M&G but it is undetermined if it will be connie or cage yet. Greg are you riding up tommorow morning, bike camping or towing? If we ride up probably take Ma10/9/63 or Ma10/Ma5 which will provide more spots to hit the slab and pit stops.

Saratoga is jammed this week and probably next. The tourist thin off until later in August.

I'm thinking about heading OUT of Saratoga....I'm not a fan of the crowds.

Definetly not a big fan of the traffic, but buzz into town from the east ( I know some backroads to get near the track), go to the track for a couple hours and buzz back out of town and stay somewhere else. Hotel prices get crazy during track season.

Bob_C_CT said:

Bob, I am riding to the campground Friday after work with Tracey following in the camper.  Slabbing 495, rt 2, then 91.  Heading home on Sunday.

I don't mind getting caught in a shower but starting out in bad weather isn't my thing. Add to it a massive migraine today (my usual- lost vision, extreme pain), I'm not sure I'm going to feel up for this ride.  :'(

OK, For me it isn't looking good. But I'll wait and see what the weather is looking like in the early AM. I'll make the call then. The fact is that I do have some clean up to do now. But it's not extreme amounts of work either. Just enough that does need time and attention. So basically, it would probably be in my best interest to get the work done.
    But riding up through Vermont is always a treat for me. Also the bike isn't filthy, but it's not really dirty either. So if it got wet, so be it. But I also don't plan on riding most of the day in the rain either. So I may still be a be coming for lunch. Like I said, I'll let you know in the AM. Hopefully that is not too late for Greg. 

OK Greg, we are counting on you being there. The plan is to come up and have lunch- I <think> Andrea is coming too but I am going to take the ride unless the weather is awful (read: hail, significant snowfall, swarms of locusts). It looks like it is going to be warm too so at least our gear will trap all the perspiration (we need an emoticon for YECH!). All this so I can send you off with a Milkbone for Angel....

Brian

Greg Habel said:
Hey everyone, I changed the meeting time from 11:00 to 11:30 since they don't open till 11:30 (doh!).

If you haven't signed up on the calendar, please do so we can get an accurate count for the restaurant.

Sign up here:  http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=161144

We are a go regardless of weather!

Hope to see you there.

OK, unfortunately I'm out. It is wet here now. And looking at the weather radar, it's wet/raining most of the way that I would be riding up there. Although it may dry out and not be wet all the way, there is a pretty good size rain front heading in that direction also. So I'm going to pull the plug. I hope y'all have a good time.

The rain forecast is up to 60% chance of thunderstorms so we're going to leave for VT in a few minutes and try out best to ride in the 40% part of the day
Brian

Won't be able to ride for a few days now.....not until my gear dries out!!

Thanks Bob for the follow to Cambridge. Nice to have someone on my 6 that I know.

Great lunch and wonderful company. Thanks so much everyone!!

Never made it to Berkshire east, maybe next weekend.

This rat got home soaked, I think Kirby is the only one that stayed dry

Had a great time today and thanks to Greg and Tracey for putting this thing on.  It was great to see everybody and I was surprised at the turnout considering how bad the weather was supposed to be, and ended up by the afternoon. Most everybody must have gotten caught in that rain on the way home- did anyone escape and stay dry?

Springfield is a nice New England town and we have not been there before but then again, we don't get out much so a lot of places are new to us.

Got pretty wet on the way home but we lived to tell about it. In the heaviest rain, we came up on a black 2011 C-14 riding south on Rt. 146 in MA and rode with him into RI until we turned off onto I-295. I don't know if that gentleman is a member here or with COG but the bike was carrying RI plates starting with the numbers 11.

Brian

Thanks Greg and Tracey for arranging the M&G. I was surprised to see so many folks turn out. I guess we are a hardy bunch. Just north of Springfield I had a bit of rain but it wasn't too bad. Hope to see all of you again soon.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

BDF said:
surprised at the turnout considering how bad the weather was supposed to be

I think the weather this year is like Democrat voters... There have been more days of rain then there are total days...  :))

Seriously, if you are planning for a nice day to ride this summer, and won't ride in the rain, you not going to go riding at all.

Like most others, wet nearly all the way home.

Thanks to Tracey and Greg for organizing the event.  A couple of photos to share:

A few of the assembled throng ...
DSC01999.jpg

Some people over-pack ... you know there has to be a kitchen sink in there, too ...
DSC02001.jpg

I heard that guy even had dog bones inside that top box. What's up with that?

In that photo, Mr. Elkhoof looks a little bit like an emergency ration in case the bike gets stuck deep in the woods. I do not mean to say that one would actually eat the hoof of course as that would be disgusting but perhaps it could be used as bait for a brown bear or similar, and then as the device to dispatch the bear.

Brian

WG said:
Like most others, wet nearly all the way home.

Thanks to Tracey and Greg for organizing the event.  A couple of photos to share:

<snip>

Some people over-pack ... you know there has to be a kitchen sink in there, too ...
DSC02001.jpg

Thanks all that attended; 15 people I believe.  Pictures to be posted shortly. 
It was great to see everyone again (from all over - MA, NH, CT, NY!). 
We almost had a VT member but he had to bow out due to family commitments. 

Hope to see everyone on the next meet and greet in August in South east Maine.  See the calendar for details.

Brian - your cat joke was one to remember!    I doubt I can recreate it with such enthusiasm and acting; pre-empted by Andrea's laughing. 
Kathy - thank you for the info on the bluetooth communicator. 
Wayne - thanks for sticking with us to get the photo op at the museum.
Mike B - thank you for riding the route with me - we had lots of rain but the roads and temps were great.  Wow - Rt 100a was recently repaved and is now great!

The Windhall Army Core of Enginerrs campground Tracey and I stayed at in Jamaica, VT is a top runner for next years' spring/early summer camping trip.  So close to really great roads and just down the street from Mt Snow.

I think the weather this year is like Democrat voters... There have been more days of rain then there are total days...  :))
[/quote]

Vote early, vote often - advice serving our nation since 1848.
;)

Thanks Tracey and Greg for putting this on. Thanks to Kathy for the route to Saratoga. We got to the restaurant a little late so we didn't have much time to talk with everyone there. Greg, (from all over - MA, NH, CT, NY!),  you forgot to mention RI. We were probably the only ones that were dry, in a cage. Thanks for not picking on me (us).

Bob_C_CT said:
Thanks Tracey and Greg for putting this on. Thanks to Kathy for the route to Saratoga. We got to the restaurant a little late so we didn't have much time to talk with everyone there. Greg, (from all over - MA, NH, CT, NY!),  you forgot to mention RI. We were probably the only ones that were dry, in a cage. Thanks for not picking on me (us).

Thanks for the follow! It was good to ride without someone right on me, especially in the rain. I do appreciate riders in cars...we make better cagers! :)

kathybrj said:
Bob_C_CT said:

Thanks for the follow! It was good to ride without someone right on me, especially in the rain. I do appreciate riders in cars...we make better cagers! :)

I personally have never had a problem with anyone coming to an event in a cage. I figure that I would rather have folks come how ever they can get there, than not come at all. (Especially if because they don't feel welcome). I fear that there may come a day (maybe sooner than I think), that riding may not be a viable option anymore. So it may be a cage or nothing.

Cap'n Bob said:
kathybrj said:
Bob_C_CT said:

I personally have never had a problem with anyone coming to an event in a cage. I figure that I would rather have folks come how ever they can get there, than not come at all. (Especially if because they don't feel welcome). I fear that there may come a day (maybe sooner than I think), that riding may not be a viable option anymore. So it may be a cage or nothing.

:iagree:

The social aspect of COG is as important as the riding aspect. It should not be how someone gets to an event, but rather that they participated and had fun.

We had a great time no matter how anyone got there. It was nice to have Bob following me in that heavy rain. I felt like I had someone watching over me and it made me a lot more comfortable!  ;)

Bob_C_CT said:

Wow - I was tired when I wrote that!  RI, RI, RI, RI.  There - I think that covers all the RI people  :)