• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Need someone to machine my 17in meanstreak rim

Instead of machining the rim, why not machine the Mean Streak caliper bracket instead, and use the 2 piston caliper and the larger Mean Streak rotor. You can clock the caliper to about 8:30 and make a longer caliper stay, using one side of the rear 'U' on the stay. Worked well for me, and have been running the Mean Streak rear this way for about two years.
Here is the link to what I did with pics!
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/mean-streak-rear-wheel/msg476138/#msg476138

Charlie

+1 on using the mean streak rear components. I’m with Yamahawk. I just did this myself and the conversion was a snap.

esmoojee said:
+1 on using the mean streak rear components. I’m with Yamahawk. I just did this myself and the conversion was a snap.

Cool!
It really is an easy conversion, and gives very good braking performance over the stock Concours rear caliper/rotor. I initially used the stock brake stay, but the caliper would hit the right saddle bag, and that made it necessary to clock it around behind the rotor, at about 8:30. I purchased another brake stay off eBay, and cut the ends off, and welded them to a longer piece of 1/2" sch40 stainless pipe, and then cut the inner ear off of the rear 'U' of the mount, and used an M12??? bolt of the proper thread pitch to attach it to the Mean Streak caliper mount. The angle of the caliper to stay is about 90 degrees, which is optimal. It saves a considerable amount of time and money, which is a plus for more farkles, too :)
Charlie

I've been planning the same swap and have some questions for Yamahawk.
1) So you took the same .300" off the bracket instead of the wheel?
2) Do I need to clock the brake if the bags are not on the bike?
Thanks!

lobo said:
I've been planning the same swap and have some questions for Yamahawk.
1) So you took the same .300" off the bracket instead of the wheel?
2) Do I need to clock the brake if the bags are not on the bike?
Thanks!
  1) You would take .181 off the axle nut side (outside)  of the bracket. The C10 is 1.003 wide at the axle on the bracket and the C14 is 1.181.  The modification is then made to the brace bar tube and bracket. 2) I can't answer this as I haven't mounted the brake caliper yet.

I removed the .30 material from the MS bracket. I used the c10 bracket as a reference. I measured with the verner calipers. I don’t think you can clock the caliper like the stock caliper. You would probably need to weld a torque arm mount on the bottom of the swing arm. It’s easiest to just mount the way yamahawk did and fabricate a torque arm.

esmoojee said:
I removed the .30 material from the MS bracket. I used the c10 bracket as a reference. I measured with the verner calipers. I don’t think you can clock the caliper like the stock caliper. You would probably need to weld a torque arm mount on the bottom of the swing arm. It’s easiest to just mount the way yamahawk did and fabricate a torque arm.
Did you use the wheel bearing collar from the C10 or the MS?