• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NEED TO BUY NEW JUNCTION BOX / ignition issue, main dash power

chclawson2704118

Good day all, new member here (1994 Rider with a 1994 Connie).

Short question; I need to buy a new/rebuilt Junction box ASAP. Who or where do I need to go, please provide a link or contact info for someone.
1994 ZG1000.

Bike has 19k miles on it. Just picked it up this weekend, very good condition bike. Just had the 20k service done by previous owner, valves checked, carb cleaned, new battery, all fluids flushed, even upgraded the disc rotors with fresh brake pads and tires to boot. Solid unit, took it for a 20 minute test ride, everything performed flawlessly. Very happy purchase.

AND THEN I BRING IT HOME, so naturally it starts to act up. Key on, no dash light, neutral light, or power to the starter switch. Turn signals and hazards were working though. I went to check the fuses (all were good), the main (red/white) dash power wire coming off the starter solenoid had a cheap bullet connector so I wiggled that and it then allowed power, could start the bike like normal..... Cool..... So I cut it off, put on a water proof quick connector and shrink wrapped it to make sure it wouldn't get compromised anytime soon. However, wiggle and jiggle, problem still occurred. I could get it going around the yard, but then parking it, turn key off, and back on it still persisted. If I switched the key off/ on several times it would then work. I did read the junction boxes can become corroded and so I took mine apart (see attached) and although it has some minor corrosion, I didn't believe it to be too bad, but perhaps the relays are starting to go. So is this a common problem? or possibly something else wrong with the ignition key connectors? Many thanks if you read this far. I'm excited to be apart of the community.

Attachments

• IMG_9117.JPG
    IMG_9117.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_E9105.JPG
    IMG_E9105.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 129
Four years ago I sent my j-box to Buck for him to renew. Less than a week later I got it back. That was when my 2002 C10 had 90,000 miles on it. No problems since. I sold the C10 with 116,000 miles on it. (Now I ride a C14). Buck did a terrific job!