• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Needing advice

razorsedge

Scooter
First, I wanted to say Hello and thank you for having me aboard . I'm in the market to purchase a sport touring motorcycle next week and wanted some last minute input from the people who own a connie 14 . I've been looking at the ST1300 and the concours 14 . I'm leaning towards the connie . I wanted to hear the pros and cons of the motorcycle before I purchased it. Thank you for your help.

There are a bunch of threads already on this subject. You would probably get lots of info if you did a few searches. With that said, the bikes are similar and different at the same time. The ST1300 is more sportTOUR, where as the C14 is more SPORTtour. Both great bikes, but it depends on what you need or want in a bike. I suggest trying to ride both if you can.

Thank you. that link was informative. I've seen both bikes. I've rode the concours 14. I fell in love with it from the moment I seen it. But when I rode it, that was it. AMAZING is all I know what to say. The ST 1300 is a good bike if you like boiwling fuel under you which scares the bg's out of me. Plus its to NORMAL for me. I just didn't want to purchase the concours and find out it had tons of problems. I used to own a Harley, In face, I just sold it. Not knocking Harley, but you couldn't pay me to own another.

they each have their pros and cons.

As Bob mentioned, the ST leans towards the touring side and the Connie leans towards the sport side of sport touring.  both have fuel under you based on the gas tank design so I wouldn't let that bother you (I've never heard of an issue with either bike because of that) 

Neither bike is 100% problem free, each has it's quirks.  that said I chose the C-14 because the ST was just too "Old Manish" looking for me :)

Another good choice would be the FJR1300

I actually struck a deal on a new FJR back in 2009 but when I went to the dealer for delivery and brought him cash he had some provisions in the contract that he wouldn't take out such as forcing the use of an arbitrator for any and all issues so no matter what you could go after him in court even if he were negligent in assembly of the bike causing you to crash.  I took my money to the Kawasaki dealer the next day and bought a new C-14 with no hassles and no similar contract language.  After I made the deal and drove the C-14 I was happy because I thought I ended up with a higher performance bike that suited me better.

Had lots of bikes (Triumph, BSA, early Hondas, XLCH, '71 super glides, evo sportster, twin cam 88 road king). Now riding 2008 Concours. Buy what you like, ride like you like to ride. IMHO, it's hard to beat the ride of a Harley road king with a mustang seat (we logged 35,000 miles on one). Not likely that I'd buy another of any past bikes, but, I dont think I will ever be without a C14. WOW! Sure it has a hard seat, small windshield, too tall, whatever!! WHO CARES, it's a rocket. And I'm getting 42 MPG average.

sarge said:
Had lots of bikes (Triumph, BSA, early Hondas, XLCH, '71 super glides, evo sportster, twin cam 88 road king). Now riding 2008 Concours. Buy what you like, ride like you like to ride. IMHO, it's hard to beat the ride of a Harley road king with a mustang seat (we logged 35,000 miles on one). Not likely that I'd buy another of any past bikes, but, I dont think I will ever be without a C14. WOW! Sure it has a hard seat, small windshield, too tall, whatever!! WHO CARES, it's a rocket. And I'm getting 42 MPG average.

I've owned two Harley's. I refuse to own another. the vibration is to much for me. the single pin crank is so outdated. Like WAY outdated. I enjoy technology and comfort. This last Harley cost me to much.  I think I will be VERY happy with the Concourse. I love POWER ! And just knowing I can walk on any harley, or sport touring. It's a good feeling ya know  :)

I've only had my Connie for alittle over a month now and have put 1900mi on her . I'm coming from a ST1300 which I have over 106,000mi. I went to Milwaukee this past weekend to see a good friendof mine who has a new ST. The Connie blows it away, it was the easiest trip to Milwaukee that I ever made. 700mi round trip just confirmed that I made a great choice with the Concours. What a bike, I can't wait til I can take her to the mountains, she's great on the slab!

ST eater said:
I've only had my Connie for alittle over a month now and have put 1900mi on her . I'm coming from a ST1300 which I have over 106,000mi. I went to Milwaukee this past weekend to see a good friendof mine who has a new ST. The Connie blows it away, it was the easiest trip to Milwaukee that I ever made. 700mi round trip just confirmed that I made a great choice with the Concours. What a bike, I can't wait til I can take her to the mountains, she's great on the slab!

Went to the dealer here  today and they had both the Connie and the st1300. I sat on the 1300 and played with it for a while and it just didn't seem to fit me, especially for the price . No bells and whistles. And they wouldn't budge on the price. I found a store in Hattisburg Miss that gave me a price of $12,929.00. Best I've found around here so far. I don't see myself on the ST1300, not that it's not a good bike, it just doesn't fit my personality.