• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New bikes

ADVTRACKER

Good day today.  Bought a new blue 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT, and a new 2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XRT.
Retirement is a rough job but someone has to do it.  ;D

Had so much dual-sport fun in Columbia and Argentina this winter that I'm going to head up to the Arctic Ocean to Tuktoyaktuk, NT, Canada this summer on the Tiger.
This trip should even be more remote than Prudhoe 7 years ago.

Attachments

• 2018-Triumph-Tiger-800-XRT.jpg
    2018-Triumph-Tiger-800-XRT.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 164
So will you trailer the Tiger behind the Wing until the road ends?  :)

Nice looking bikes but I'm sure you will change the tires on the 800 before heading north. Will the cast wheels be sturdy enough for the Arctic?

Good luck.  You are doing what many of us say we want to do but never do.      What did you learn from your prior trip 7 years ago to help you prepare for this one?  Bike preparation, what to pack, when to leave, what to be prepared for, etc.

Roger B said:
Good luck.  You are doing what many of us say we want to do but never do.      What did you learn from your prior trip 7 years ago to help you prepare for this one?  Bike preparation, what to pack, when to leave, what to be prepared for, etc.
Great questions.  See my website url in my signature block.  I blogged the whole trip with reviews on gear and other stuff. 

Diz said:
So will you trailer the Tiger behind the Wing until the road ends?  :)

Nice looking bikes but I'm sure you will change the tires on the 800 before heading north. Will the cast wheels be sturdy enough for the Arctic?
You win the contest!!  I was waiting for the first "Wing tows Tiger" reply.  LOL! 

I've rented BMWs with cast wheels four times now in South America on rough roads and had no problems. 

Yes, I'm going to outfit the Tiger with 50/50 tires before I go.  Six days of asphalt before I even start the Dempster at Dawson Creek.  The Dempster is very rough but mostly straight, so shouldn't be many trenched out rocky switchbacks like I've done down south. 

I bought the XRT which is a little more on-road biased than the XCA for a couple reasons.  I'm only 5'8" so the seating position is lower, and I don't want to mess with tubes.  Only other differences are one more off-road riding mode on the XCA and bigger skid plate and engine guards which I will add to my XRT.

KnoxSwift said:
I hear you can't tow with the new 18 GW? I'd like to hear your review after some time?
Nothing preventing aftermarket from designing a hitch.  I'd expect this will happen sometime this year.  I've pulled a Bushtec before, and wasn't really crazy about the hassle, but with the severely reduced storage
on the new Wing, a Unigo for long trips with my wife might have to be considered.

WingCon said:
Roger B said:
Great questions.  See my website url in my signature block.  I blogged the whole trip with reviews on gear and other stuff.   

So you are going to do the whole trip on the Triumph?  This will eliminate some of your bad experiences related to motorcycle rental.  There are a lot more adventure bikes out there now compared to your prior trip.  I expect you will see even more motorcycles on this trip.  Could a C14 even make it do you think?    Did you see any touring bikes trying to?  Good luck and have fun.

Roger B said:
WingCon said:
Roger B said:

So you are going to do the whole trip on the Triumph?  This will eliminate some of your bad experiences related to motorcycle rental.  There are a lot more adventure bikes out there now compared to your prior trip.  I expect you will see even more motorcycles on this trip.  Could a C14 even make it do you think?    Did you see any touring bikes trying to?  Good luck and have fun.

I've heard of heavy road bikes doing the Dalton, but that's insane in my view.  Most people even on Adv bikes have to turn back with heavy rain due to mud.  I got lucky with the weather 7 years ago.  Yes, taking the Tiger.  Renting sucks.  Tiger should be fine for long trip before the dirt.  Five riding modes and cruise control.  Nice seat and windscreen and plenty of power for its weight. 

WingCon said:
KnoxSwift said:
I hear you can't tow with the new 18 GW? I'd like to hear your review after some time?
Nothing preventing aftermarket from designing a hitch.  I'd expect this will happen sometime this year.  I've pulled a Bushtec before, and wasn't really crazy about the hassle, but with the severely reduced storage
on the new Wing, a Unigo for long trips with my wife might have to be considered.

http://store.bushtec.com/product-p/944108pin.htm

ZG said:
WingCon said:
KnoxSwift said:

Pulled a Bushtec for awhile.  Too bulky.  If I go the trailer route will probably be your Unigo.

WingCon said:
ZG said:
WingCon said:
KnoxSwift said:

Pulled a Bushtec for awhile.  Too bulky.  If I go the trailer route will probably be your Unigo.

That link is for the 2018 Wing hitch, not a trailer.

ZG said:
WingCon said:
ZG said:
WingCon said:
KnoxSwift said:

That link is for the 2018 Wing hitch, not a trailer.

WingCon said:
KnoxSwift said:

I'd love to hear your comments when you start doing some long treks! Good luck with the new wing.

WingCon said:

I thought you were talking about hitches for the new Wing, that link is the only hitch I've seen so far for the new Wing, it will work for the Unigo.

Or maybe I misunderstood...  :truce:

ZG said:
WingCon said:

I thought you were talking about hitches for the new Wing, that link is the only hitch I've seen so far for the new Wing, it will work for the Unigo.

Or maybe I misunderstood...  :truce:

I meant hitches also.  I saw that there is a Unigo adapter for the Bushtec hitch.  Amazing they've already designed one.  Pick up Ms. Blue tomorrow.  Tiger in a couple weeks.  Going to Cooler?

Here she is.  So now have to tear it to pieces to install accessories.  :-[

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/d/2003-honda-goldwing-abs/6564871576.html

Attachments

• IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 115
Diz said:
Great price on the 03 Should go quick!

I wish that it was so.  Keeping having to drop the price, and not one bite yet.  May have to consign it to a dealer, although I cringe at doing that.

Selling a bike can be frustrating and sometimes too long so riding season is shorter when bike is finally sold.  A guy in his 50s looking for a second bike to get his SO on the back is your target audience. I'm nosy and I went on Craigslist. Not many older 6 cylinders available where I'm at but their asking prices are still higher than your area. Saw that there was an '05 with less miles and lower price than yours on the Tacoma list. Couldn't tell if his had been on the board for a longer period than yours. But each bike averaged 5000 miles per year which means the weak links (not many on a Wing) have already been addressed. Maybe time to park outside on nice days in high visibility areas with sign "discounted" on it. Don't lower price, just phrase it differently.... GLWTS!

Diz said:
Selling a bike can be frustrating and sometimes too long so riding season is shorter when bike is finally sold.  A guy in his 50s looking for a second bike to get his SO on the back is your target audience. I'm nosy and I went on Craigslist. Not many older 6 cylinders available where I'm at but their asking prices are still higher than your area. Saw that there was an '05 with less miles and lower price than yours on the Tacoma list. Couldn't tell if his had been on the board for a longer period than yours. But each bike averaged 5000 miles per year which means the weak links (not many on a Wing) have already been addressed. Maybe time to park outside on nice days in high visibility areas with sign "discounted" on it. Don't lower price, just phrase it differently.... GLWTS!
Wish was possible.  I live in a gated community.  Will try one more price drop, then off for consignment she goes.  Got a new Triumph Tiger coming too, so bike has to go.  Insert sad face. 

WingCon said:
Diz said:
Wish was possible.  I live in a gated community.  Will try one more price drop, then off for consignment she goes.  Got a new Triumph Tiger coming too, so bike has to go.  Insert sad face.

Bummer... but at least your gated commnity seems to be a bit more understanding, and at least allows you to actually ride one in, and keep it at your home...
Unlike those hoy-paloy communities where my in laws lived on Hilton Head Island... couldn't even enter on any of them on 2 wheels.. (thanks to the "loud pipes" riders... ), really made it a pain to ride to visit family,

Just search out "bike nights" at local drive in restaurants, and such, and hang a sign on it there while muching burgers and such...

WingCon said:
Here she is.  So now have to tear it to pieces to install accessories.  :-[

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/d/2003-honda-goldwing-abs/6564871576.html

Congrats on the new Wing! Just bought myself the exact same bike! And I too am in Seattle. See you out there!

Attachments

• IMG_3095.JPG
    IMG_3095.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 105
WingCon said:
Good day today.  Bought a new blue 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT, and a new 2018 Triumph Tiger 800 XRT.

Had so much dual-sport fun in Columbia and Argentina this winter that I'm going to head up to the Arctic Ocean to Tuktoyaktuk, NT, Canada this summer on the Tiger.

WC - I want to do what you did for a living! :))

Shawn said:
WingCon said:

WC - I want to do what you did for a living! :))

I notice your avatar.  I was a sport skydiver from 1975 to 1982.  451 jumps is all.  Sorry about the month's late reply!  :-/