• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

new guy questions

flying wasp

Bicycle
^-^Greetings all, I sold my Nomad cruiser and am now thinking of a used 08 concours. Here is the facts...I'm 6'3" 270lbs.I've sat on a few 2010's at the dealer and the initial feel is not bad. Any other "husky" riders out there with some input?Also, the wife likes to go with me on weekends for short trips...5'5" 130lbs. Any feedback will bee appreciated.

I'm a pretty good sized guy, but shorter than you. But there are a lot of tall riders, heavier riders and tall heavier riders out there. The bike is a lot different from the Vulcan in riding position and engine power delivery. I'm sure you'll like the bike. But you may find yourself looking for a taller windshield and possible bar risers. There are plenty of ways to make the bike suit you. But I always suggest riding the bike a little but and then decide what changes you need to make. Now to be fair, there have been guys who tried the C14 and went back to cruisers because they just never got comfortable on the bike. So there's no guarantee!
Also a lot of riders do ride two up. But make no mistake. Your wife probably will not like riding on the C14 anywhere near as much as the Nomad. The Nomad is roomy and comfortable with that big awesome backrest as OEM equipment. But once again, things can make it better. But probably never as comfortable as the Nomad for the rear passenger. But a back rest, different seat and maybe lower and/or different rear pegs can make it pretty comfy.

6ft, 260lbs - what Bob said.  Harder seat (Corbin) with less forward lean, taller screen, bar risers.  You and your SO sit on the bike, not in it like on a cruiser so you're both 'perched' but my, my, my what a ride.
;)

I think you can realistically expect to have to 'adjust' some or all of these things on any other sport touring bike including a BMW.

My wife likes riding the Concours WAAAAAYYYYYYY more than my VTX.  With the bags behind her legs, she just feels a ton more confident.  I have a top box too.

i am only 5' 10" and my 5'3" daughter does not like riding on the concours... she prefered the Nighthawk because she was not up in the wind like she is on the Concours ... i am guessing that your wife would not feel that way with you being so much taller than me.

just thought i would point that out.
  i had hoped that she would like it more because she would not have to look around me to see.

I'm 6'2" and 315 pounds. I went from an 07 Goldwing to my 09 C14. Even before I put the risers on and lowered the footpegs my C14 was much more comfortable than my Wing ever was. The Wing even had a "Big Boy" seat, and I'm still running the stocker on the C14.

I had to use a backrest on the Wing, but have no need for one on the Connie. I sit straight upright, and have zero back issues.

Thanks for the reply's. I guess I just need to buy one and see how it goes. I have other questions....It seems that picking up a low milage 08 is not that hard to find for around $8000. This is right up my alley in price range. I've read a lot on these forums about HEAT,WARPED ROTORS,VALVE ADJUSTMENTS,ECU REPROGRAMMING???? Can anyone tell me that I'm getting in deep with an 08??  All responses are appreciated. I'm ready to start making offers or bids.

i have felt the heat ... but up here in Michigan so far it hasnt felt like it will be an issue.
My Nighthawk puts off lots of heat and it wasnt bad once moving.

The bike is so much fun that i am willing to deal with its issues.

Yes the 08 had a couple of things with them. Some people found the 08-09 to put out too much heat. Although I didn't find it a problem, it did put out a good amount of heat.
The C14 in general is known for warping rotors both front and rear. The TPS sensors going bad has also been a problem on the bikes. Then there is by far a larger number of KIPASS failures that occurred on the 08-09 bikes. But from what I understand, Kawasaki has now started replacing the activation switch spring, with a stronger spring. So hopefully they will be less of a concern with KIPASS down the road.
Valve adjustments are tough and complex. So they will probably be pricey as well to have the dealer do them. ECU reprogramming is only a modification that others want in the quest for better power delivery. The C14 isn't the best performer in the lower half of the RPM range. SO some people make modifications like removing secondary flaps (butterflies) and adding a power commander to help give it better low end power. The reprogramming of the ECU is just the new method. None of these are nessasary modifications. Although pulling the flies works very well. It tends to make the throttle on/off transition very abrupt. So it's a trade off, if you crave better low end power!
So because there are some issues that are possible. I truly suggest buying a bike with a factory warranty. If it's and older bike with a warranty, buy the extended warranty before the factory warranty runs out. I'm not saying that you'll need it. Only that one failure can be pricey on this bike. So IMO, the extended warranty would be good insurance as bikes get more complex with newer technologies that don't also work quite as good as planned!
But with that said, the bike is a great bike and a pleasure to ride. Whether you buy an 08,09,10, or 11. The big thing IMO is the warranty. But with the 10/11 bike you get some of the upgrades like traction control, better heat management and higher mirrors. But the 08-09 are much cheaper to buy both new and used. And the 09 have the beautiful Red color (it also comes in black for 09). So you need to decide what you want out of the bike and how much you can spend. I know I probably made it more confusing yet!

flying wasp said:
Thanks for the reply's. I guess I just need to buy one and see how it goes. I have other questions....It seems that picking up a low milage 08 is not that hard to find for around $8000. This is right up my alley in price range. I've read a lot on these forums about HEAT,WARPED ROTORS,VALVE ADJUSTMENTS,ECU REPROGRAMMING???? Can anyone tell me that I'm getting in deep with an 08??  All responses are appreciated. I'm ready to start making offers or bids.

I have an 08, the 1st year the tps batteries died and the front rotors warped. And until recently I havent had any other issues. My gas cap release kind of  "froze up" on me , an easy free repair thanks to this group! My bike is bone stock with the exception of tires.with all that being said I wouldnt trade it for anything!

hey flying wasp, my son has a 2008 he wants to sell, it had dual muzzy exhuast with a power comander. it runs great sounds great. very fast bike. It has 12500 miles on it. he is a big boy about 6 ft 2inch and about 330 lbs, had no problems with comfort. he want to sell cuz he doesnt have time to ride anymore with a new job. he also has an extended warranty with the bike that i am pretty sure is transferable. we are also in michigan, If you want any more info about the bike you can email me at wingmanred@aol.com

Email sent.......I will be buying a used 08 or 09. I have been surfing for info on a passenger backrest. I don't think I am going to put a box on the back,however the wife needs a backrest. I can read endlessly on who has "the best one". Can you all give me somee feedback?