• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Member/Inherited ZG1000

stealthedgt46943

Hello all, I inherited my 2005 zg1000 from my father who purchased the bike 7 years ago just before his heart attack and surgery, my father was an avid rider and hasn't been able to ride since. He gave me the bike because he didn't want to see it just sitting in storage and I am currently trying to revive the bike. I have double checked fluids, made sure the tank was clean, the bike will start and idle with choke only, I do plan on removing the carbs for a full cleaning soon. The biggest issue I am having with it is after it has warmed up some it starts to miss, yes I know more than likely a fuel issue and again I will be servicing the carbs. The bike was serviced before storage, fuel was drained at the time of storage and I have new tires already purchased for the bike just got to get her healthy again. My number one question is if I were to remove the carbs, what is the price range of having them sent off, cleaned, synced and upgraded?

I do plan on purchasing a full membership soon!

Stealth, I suggest you don't crank the bike again because of a possible hydrolock.
ie; Hydrolock is caused by a leaking float valve in one of the carburetors.
In certain cases, that leaking valve could allow a cylinder to fill with liquid gas and bend a rod when you try to crank.

Ride safe, Ted

Stealth, I suggest you don't crank the bike again because of a possible hydrolock.
ie; Hydrolock is caused by a leaking float valve in one of the carburetors.
In certain cases, that leaking valve could allow a cylinder to fill with liquid gas and bend a rod when you try to crank.

Ride safe, Ted
yea, that just happend...... but i dont think any damage is done. i filled the tank up some and tried to start and it wouldnt turn so I turned the key off and started removing the tank and side panels to expose everything, It is hot as crap here in Northwest Arkansas already so I plan on pulling carbs, I just need to grab a window unit for the garage so I can try to cool it off out there while I work on the bike and get the carbs off the bike and ready to ship off to Steve once I get ahold of him for pricing on having them redone.

Arghhhh!! Go to his site to learn how to check for damage. EZ to do...
Be very careful not to spray gasoline in your eye when you turn the engine during the test.
(Don't ask me how I know)

Last edited:
yea, that just happend...... but i dont think any damage is done. i filled the tank up some and tried to start and it wouldnt turn so I turned the key off and started removing the tank and side panels to expose everything, It is hot as crap here in Northwest Arkansas already so I plan on pulling carbs, I just need to grab a window unit for the garage so I can try to cool it off out there while I work on the bike and get the carbs off the bike and ready to ship off to Steve once I get ahold of him for pricing on having them redone.

So I checked and cylinder 3 was my trouble, I followed Steve's instructions and I checked all 4 for good measure and I dodged a rod issue. I will start removing the carbs tomorrow as a few other things came up through the day as usual being a dad of 4. I will move my progress to the general chat though, thank you to everyone who replied.