• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Shinko Verge 150/80ZR16

CRocker

Now there is another choice in matched radials for the C-10...Shinko has released the 150/80ZR16 R011 Verge tire...WPS part number 87-4090...which can be matched to the 120/70ZR18 F011 Verge for the front...WPS part number 87-4082...shipments are expected to arrive in the warehouse any day...

Happy Riding!

Iff'n I still had a c-10 I would be all over this. I've heard that the Verge is a right decent hunk of rubber.

Running the Verge 011 on the rear and the Verge 2X on my 17" wheels. They feel good on the C10, I really like them and at 2500 miles they are still looking promising in the wear department. Previously running PR3's and though the Pilots had a more supple ride quality for the money I will stick with the Shinkos. I know they are hit or miss in quality but the three different sets I have had on other bikes haven't given me reason not to trust purchasing another set.

Glad to hear there's a size for the C10 rear now too.

I ran the Verge 011's on my GPZ ZX1100 - (17's front and rear)

If found them to be a good sport touring tire at a really nice price, which returned decent mileage too.

Have run the Verge 011 18" on the front on the C10 and like it there too.  That front tire returned good mileage - over 16,000.

and will run a full set of these next tire change.

I need a new rear tire. I'm going to give these a try. A little concerned about wet traction. Not many grooves in them.

When I first mounted a front on my C10 I thought the same thing...I was amazed at how it handled downpours...

But...I am getting older ...and, slower...

CRocker said:
When I first mounted a front on my C10 I thought the same thing...I was amazed at how it handled downpours...

But...I am getting older ...and, slower...

Do you have the rear also?

No...it was a few years ago...the 150/80ZR16 rear was not available then in a matching tread pattern...think I was running a SE890 Journey...in a 160/80R16 size...this Verge is brand new...

I work for a independent shop and we get alot of stuff from WPS. They carry Shinko tires and its what i run on all of my bikes. 2002 KLR650, 2008 Triumph Bonneville Scrambler AND ill be running the new Verge radials on my new to me 2003 C10.

I have the Michelin on the front and a new Verge on the rear. One thing I've noticed is a side to side wander around 90mph. Will France and South Korea learn to get along better as the tire wears?

Product review. We just completed a 3,000 mile tour through northern Mexico carrying about 110 pounds of luggage, my 225 pounds and the wife... We are right up against the weight limit of the bike and the tires. This is the 4th trip like this in Mexico. Previously, two Avon rear tyres suffered tread separation - or whatever it's called when the tire goes out of round laterally. The first Avon was an azaro, the second a 3D-X?... While these tires didn't catastrophically fail, they did let us down at the worst possible time - both with less than 3,000 miles on each tire.
This Shinko Verge rear tire didn't let us down, it still has a lot of tread. It only rained a little on our trip but the tire felt safe on rarely wet roads at fairly high speeds. Handling, braking, and general use were all good.
I do have a high speed wander - around 85 with a full load. I haven't explored the usual culprits but will soon. The front tire is a Michelin - both front and back are radials.
I am very satisfied with this tire and will probably avoid Avon tyres in the future... twice bitten once shy... 

I just got the Shinko Verge on the back and the Michelin pr4gt on the front, slow speeds great, fast not so much...

the front end back and forth sway got so violent at 85 on the interstate I almost went down!

I'm seriously thinking about selling the bike. in 40 years of riding I've never had a bike do this... I've adjusted the back end to all the different adjustments possible, changed tire pressures as well,

If I had hair I'd pull it out.

Sound like a bearing inspection is in order: Front & Rear wheels, swing arm and steering head.  Also, don't forget the motor mount bolts, bead seating on the rim, fork bushings and tire run out .  Good luck.

"I just got the Shinko Verge on the back and the Michelin pr4gt on the front, slow speeds great, fast not so much...
the front end back and forth sway got so violent at 85 on the interstate I almost went down!"

That's interesting. I've got the same symptoms but not as violent. I've got the Michelin on front too. This all started with the new Shinko Verge on the back, had it been bearings or motor mounts there would have been some signs prior to the new Shinko Verge going on the bike 3K miles ago.

Wish I read all these comments more thoroughly. Had a Verge mounted on the 16 inch rear rim last week, still running a PR3 in the front. I think there is too much sidewall for the OEM rear tire dimensions, in a radial. Radials have thinner sidewalls to allow more road feel, with a large rim and short sidewall. I think the Concours is too heavy for the tall tire dimensions, I am very disappointed because the tire looks like it would be mean.

I am afraid to lean the bike over because of how the rear end now oscillates left and right in turns. Bearings are all good and this was not a problem a week ago with the old 777.

Jim said:
Sound like a bearing inspection is in order: Front & Rear wheels, swing arm and steering head.  Also, don't forget the motor mount bolts, bead seating on the rim, fork bushings and tire run out .  Good luck.

Everyone check their direction of rotation arrow?

Others have had this problem with an Avon 3D-X on the rear.
1 theory I've heard is the tire profile is too tall for a bike of this weight.
The one guy I know that had the problem,, had a mega wide & tall windshield on his C-10.
The big shield might be a contributor.

I've always had radials on my C10's. Never experienced the problem.
I have not tried the Shinko Verge or the Avon 3D-X..

Currently have an Avon Storm on the front and a ME 888 on the back {as I wore out my rear Avon {Azaro I think} at a COG National}.

Wondering if it is possible to get a lower profile rear Verge?

Ride safe, Ted

I think unless you want a baby-sized rear tire or convert to the 17inch rim, there arn't many options for reducing the sidewall size.

I have a MadStad windshield, I will try lowering that, and increasing my tire pressures all around. If that doesn't help, this tire is coming off regardless of miles.  :(

"Others have had this problem with an Avon 3D-X on the rear." - I had two 3D-x's - one paired with the same Michelin on the front and never had handling issues. The 3D-X had other issues which made it unsatisfactory - but handling was good. I still have a used 3D-X hanging on the garage wall - I'll have to check measurements to see what, if anything is different.
Like others have said - handling issues appeared when the Verge was mounted. It would be an amazing coincidence that bearings or other issues appeared at the same moment.

The Shinko 150/80ZR16 has a load index of 71, or 761 lbs.

In contrast, the Michelin Commander II 150/80-16 I use has a load index of 77, or 908 lbs. It's a chunky, reinforced bias-ply tire and it handles the Concours weight and power with no problems. Works fine with different radials on the front.

It looks like the Shinko is a lighter duty tire, aimed at a different category of bike.

I removed the Verge rear tire - which still had another 3,000 or so miles left in tread and replaced it with a Michelin Commander II. The motorcycle again handles as it should. Gone is the 85-90mph plus left right left wander and the unsettling feeling when leaned over in curves. I had a spirited 60 mile ride yesterday and the bike again inspires confidence at speed.
A big lesson learned in diagnosis is to assign primary responsibility at the last thing changed at the onset of issues. I could have been rebuilding functional forks or replacing good bearings. Disturbing the forks or bearings would have then made further diagnosis all the more difficult which could have spoiled riding this summer for me. The handling issue clearly started with the installation of the Shinko Verge and ended promptly with its removal.
Looking at the Verge I can see no appreciable difference between it and a Avon 3D-X I still had hanging on the wall. The handling issues of the Verge may have ultimately led to sudden failure or a high speed accident - who knows. Something is wrong with this tire and others in this forum have had similar problems.  I'll write to Shinko not for a refund or adjustment, but to let them know that there may be something wrong with the profile, tread, or construction of this tire.

Greenie said:
I removed the Verge rear tire - which still had another 3,000 or so miles left in tread and replaced it with a Michelin Commander II. The motorcycle again handles as it should. Gone is the 85-90mph plus left right left wander and the unsettling feeling when leaned over in curves. I had a spirited 60 mile ride yesterday and the bike again inspires confidence at speed.
A big lesson learned in diagnosis is to assign primary responsibility at the last thing changed at the onset of issues. I could have been rebuilding functional forks or replacing good bearings. Disturbing the forks or bearings would have then made further diagnosis all the more difficult which could have spoiled riding this summer for me. The handling issue clearly started with the installation of the Shinko Verge and ended promptly with its removal.
Looking at the Verge I can see no appreciable difference between it and a Avon 3D-X I still had hanging on the wall. The handling issues of the Verge may have ultimately led to sudden failure or a high speed accident - who knows. Something is wrong with this tire and others in this forum have had similar problems.  I'll write to Shinko not for a refund or adjustment, but to let them know that there may be something wrong with the profile, tread, or construction of this tire.

Yup, I am in the same boat. My Verge 011 tire has 3-400 miles on it, and is coming off soon. I have been in contact with Western Power Sports, who distributes Shinko tires. I sent back another SR777 for being out of round, and I mentioned the problems I have been having with the Verge on my bike. It handled perfectly with the bias-ply SR777 that was just installed, even if the tire had a shake. I didn't realize we had Michelin radials that fit our OEM 16 inch rear rims, I will have to give the Commander II a try. I am sure it will handle nicely with the PR3 that I have on the front, which is a phenomenal tire.

Hi guys i have been round with shinko tires, I decided also going with Michelin Commander II  excellent choice great tire.

Even though I had a couple of miles left in the Pirelli Sport Demons I saw a great deal on the Verge's at Jake Wilson's. $197 shipped. Worst.money.ever.spent. I've played with pressures trying for a bit more feedback. Nada. Tip in is awful. Forget having any sort of positive feel going into a corner. Christ - have to fight the bike through the corner to keep it from tipping in further. Anything more than 50 mph and you can expect to get sea sick from these tires they wander so bad.
I emailed Jake Wilson's and hoping for some help either in the form of refund or replacement.

DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE!

connie_rider said:
I sure hope the 190/55- 17 does better. B'kuz I just installed one on my bike...  :??:

Ride safe, Ted

I think the 17in is fine, it's these old 16 inchers that cause too much wandering with all the sidewall.

mnbikeguy said:
Even though I had a couple of miles left in the Pirelli Sport Demons I saw a great deal on the Verge's at Jake Wilson's. $197 shipped. Worst.money.ever.spent. I've played with pressures trying for a bit more feedback. Nada. Tip in is awful. Forget having any sort of positive feel going into a corner. Christ - have to fight the bike through the corner to keep it from tipping in further. Anything more than 50 mph and you can expect to get sea sick from these tires they wander so bad.
I emailed Jake Wilson's and hoping for some help either in the form of refund or replacement.

DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE!

A little update on my interaction with Jake Wilson. They wouldn't immediately refund or offer any help after explaining the situation with these tires. In fact the "customer service rep" told me that my only recourse was to sell them on eBay to try and recoup my cost. I of course I asked to speak to a manager who informed me my only recourse was to talk with their warranty people to see if they could get Shinko to take them back.
So much for their recommendation to "Ride safe" that plays at the end of every blurb of advertising that plays while you're on hold.
I'll report back when I hear from their warranty people. In the mean time I ordered another Pirelli Sport Demon from another distributer for the rear and will switch back. I will not be ordering from Jake Wilson again because of their recommendation to sell an unsafe tire on eBay. That's just irresponsible.

VTconnie said:
connie_rider said:
I sure hope the 190/55- 17 does better. B'kuz I just installed one on my bike...  :??:

Ride safe, Ted

I think the 17in is fine, it's these old 16 inchers that cause too much wandering with all the sidewall.

I think so, too. I'm having no issues with the 17" version on the Honda ST1300.

jettawreck said:
VTconnie said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

I think so, too. I'm having no issues with the 17" version on the Honda ST1300.

Exactly, I read on here that they were recommended by the heavier ST riders, that is why I purchased.

mnbikeguy said:
mnbikeguy said:

DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE!

A little update on my interaction with Jake Wilson. They wouldn't immediately refund or offer any help after explaining the situation with these tires. In fact the "customer service rep" told me that my only recourse was to sell them on eBay to try and recoup my cost. I of course I asked to speak to a manager who informed me my only recourse was to talk with their warranty people to see if they could get Shinko to take them back.
So much for their recommendation to "Ride safe" that plays at the end of every blurb of advertising that plays while you're on hold.
I'll report back when I hear from their warranty people. In the mean time I ordered another Pirelli Sport Demon from another distributer for the rear and will switch back. I will not be ordering from Jake Wilson again because of their recommendation to sell an unsafe tire on eBay. That's just irresponsible.

Still nothing to report from Jake Wilson and at this point I wouldn't recommend them or their affiliate Rocky Mountain ATV & MC. They clearly could care less about customer satisfaction or safety.
I did source another rear Pirelli Sport Demon and mounted it up along with the used front Sport Demon that had plenty of life left in it. Happy to report the bike is handling rock solid again.

mnbikeguy said:
mnbikeguy said:
mnbikeguy said:

DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE!

Still nothing to report from Jake Wilson and at this point I wouldn't recommend them or their affiliate Rocky Mountain ATV & MC. They clearly could care less about customer satisfaction or safety.
I did source another rear Pirelli Sport Demon and mounted it up along with the used front Sport Demon that had plenty of life left in it. Happy to report the bike is handling rock solid again.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you want you can contact Western Power Sports directly, they are the distributor for Shinko in North America. Really nice people, you can explain your problem. The response I got was to double check tire pressures, and I confirmed that they were the max PSI on the sidewall. They just sent me a replacement SR777 for one that was out-of-round, so that will get installed soon here. I think in terms of the Verge 011, I will just eat the cost of that and chock it up as a lesson learned. I also think maybe a Sticky can be created to warn of Radial Shinko's on 16 inch rims.

Well it looks like my avenues for refund are all closed now. Shinko refused to acknowledge a problem and Jake Wilson washed their hands of things. Correspondence was by email and cordial. They just don't want to take responsibility.  So while YMMV with Shinko and Jake Wilson, I would steer your future business away as they didn't measure up in my opinion.

Here was the email for reference:

Hey Mike,

I apologize for the delay on this I guess our contact with Shinko has been out of the office. However they did reply this morning and this was their response:

We are unable to warranty/refund the Shinko 011 Verge motorcycle tires in situation. There is no evidence of manufacture defect on these tires. If Rocky Mountain ATV’s chose to credit/refund/exchange tires for this customer they can do so on their own behalf. This appears to be customer preference and no fault of the tires. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or comments.

Unfortunately with the manufacture saying this and not being willing to provide us with credit our hands are tied and we are unable to accept your tires back for credit.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks!
Brady Jensen Ext. 1475 | Warranty Department - Rocky Mountain ATV/MC | Jake Wilson
Rocky Mountain: 1.801.465.3140 | Fax: 1.801.465.3457 | Jake Wilson - 1.800.721.8253 | Fax: 1.801.465.3457 | Address: 1551 American Way, Payson, UT 84651
Websites: www.rockymountainatvmc.com | www.jakewilson.com
bradyj@rockymountainatv.com

Yeah I also can't fault them for any particular defect, other than our bikes are too heavier for this particular tire, in the 16 inch rim size. The good news is the Shinko SR777 is cheaper and a good alternative, after reinstalling that tire I got my bike's handling back. Also the tread is better suited for variable riding conditions, the Verge was essentially a racing slick along it's center line.