• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New to me 2013

bmwbud828

Old enough to know better.
My son will fly to Denver tomorrow to ride back my 2013 Concours 14 which is the fastest color (blue).😂 I have previously owned 17 Beemers. Have decided to dip my toes in some different waters and drink some different Kool-Aid. Served as Chartered Club Liaison for the BMW MOA 10 years ago. Have ridden as far East as Meat Cove and as far West as the Pacific Ocean. Favorite ride areas include SW Colorado, Boone, NC and Eureka Springs. 75 years old and just renewed my MC endorsement till I'm 80. Hope to be riding then. Who knows. Member of IBA. Live in the Midwurst, Nashville, IL. Same wife for 54 years (August 19th) 3 kids, 6 grandkids. Wife and I trailered sailboats for 40 years. Last trip was to BC where we launched and went into Desolation Sound. Currently have gone to the dark side, C-Dory 22 cruiser with 90 HP Merc. Have sailed the Great Lakes for over 30 years. Favorite is the North Channel of Lake Huron. When not riding, I make sawdust in my basement with a CNC machine, hunt deer in the fall, fish Spring thru Fall. Travel each year with friends who are retired. We have taken 21 consecutive trips together. This year back to SW Colorado and Utah parks. Have ridden bikes, ATV's and Jeeps out of Ouray. Rode Alpine Loop several times.

More than you ever wanted to know!

New ride.

c14.jpg

Last Beemer 1998 R 1100 R

r7.jpg

Boat at Sister Bay, WI

emma mae.jpg

Sample of what CNC can do

sink board.jpg

Forgot the most important info: Here is description of bike.

Second owner purchased with 1,435 milesAlways garaged never never been down. Oil and filter change every 5,000 miles with Amsoil 10w40 metric, Michelin Road 5 tires front and rear about 80% tread left, I got over 10,000 miles out of my last set. Many upgrades: California Scientific windshield and a new never installed stock windshield, Foot peg lowering kit and highway pegs made for the Concours specific from Advanced Sport Touring, Atlas throttle lock, Wire for battery tender, Canyon cage crash bars, Handle bar pull back risers, 40 liter monokey GIVI top case, Air-Flow seat cover, Premium saddle bag liners with extra compartments, Two Brothers exhaust and stock exhaust. Very reliable motorcycle, I've driven this for four years and the only repair needed was a rear wheel seal that was covered under manufacturers warranty.

Wife always asks: After you buy this bike what else will you have to buy, new seat, new windshield etc? I said that for this one it doesn't look like I will have to buy anything. 😇

Well another 2013 owner is certainly welcome, Bud!! I did the Beemer thang for a while, 97 R1100RT, but love me some Kawi! BTW, it's not sawdust, it is "Man Glitter. Welcome aboard matey!

Wife always asks: After you buy this bike what else will you have to buy, new seat, new windshield etc? I said that for this one it doesn't look like I will have to buy anything. 😇
Hello Bud,
Welcome to the group, and nice intro.

Bud find out if the machine has been flashed, this will be one item I would not delay on completing - a tremendous improvement in smoothness thus comfort and also some instant additional performance. Steve and Ivan are the two primary options there - PM me if you want to know more about my experience with this.

Your son will have a great ride to bring you your bike!

See you around,
Wayne, Carol & Blue

Thanks Wayne for the info. I was just getting ready to ask the group what I should know that I don't know. Seems like you are one step ahead of me.

Son brought bike home today. I rode it all of 5 minutes to my house with a big grin on my face.😄😄😄😄😄

Sweet engine, more torque and HP that I will ever use, fun to see it come alive above 4000 RPM. With a good tailwind, he averaged 46.7 MPG on his trip back from Denver. He commented on how he didn't like the linked rear brake. It's all good. Thanks for the warm welcome and ton of information you have provided to this NOOB.(y)

The workaround for the brakes is to use the front brakes. The rear is linked when using the front without the linked side effect.

OK. Just went on a short 180 mile ride this morning, combo of Interstate and two lane. There is nothing wrong with this bike. It starts, runs, brakes and corners well. (really like the neutral cornering, lean it over and it is steady as a rock). While the shocks need some adjustment for me, harsh on rear right now, overall I am impressed with the handling and how light/nimble it is once moving.

Gonna have to put some more miles on it before I decide to keep it. I have a problem with my right wrist. Combine that with a smooth as silk engine that wants to rev, I found myself in danger of collecting "performance awards" from the Illinois State Police. May be too much "rocket" for my crotch!!!

Ergos fine with foot peg lowering. Two Brothers exhaust too noisy for me and the stock can is at my son's house in Denver. At 76 years old, I'm not worried about an exhaust that is too restrictive 😁 Whatever performance I would lose is meaningless for the way I ride. I feel like I'm riding a KY Derby horse that always wants to go faster.

I completely recognize and understand that this is all inside my head. I also know myself well enough to ponder if this much of a high performance bike is more than I should be riding. Yes, I found a stretch of country two lane with long sight distance and zero traffic. Ran it up to redline in 2nd gear just to see. &#@$%*!!!!!!!!! Been there, done that, won't do it again.

In my mind, motorcycle riding requires that one knows one self. So I will noodle over this, ride some more and then decide if a different bike would be better all around.

In the last quarter of my life, I can change my mind and not lose any sleep.

I'm sure Your Mileage Does Vary!

Okay Bud, Welcome to the group. You're old enough to know better!

I'm 69 and thinking the same things but never let wisdom get in the way of enjoyment.

I've been from dirt to baggers to sport touring and this is the best bike I've ever ridden, no regrets! She demands some respect and will at full throttle acceleration sometime pucker you a bit, but damn the experience is worth the laundry! :cool:
Ride sorta safe most of the time!

Yes I am.:cautious:

I'm not a full throttle kind of guy. I rode on roads that I've ridden/driven on for the last 40 years. There is one section that has a series of hills. I was behind some slower traffic and decided there was enough room and sight distance to do so safely. In 6th gear, downshifted to 5th. Traffic was rolling about 65 MPH, speed limit 55. Pulled out, gave it some throttle and off we went, when I passed the 3rd car, I did a mirror check, head check and pulled back in line. Then looked at my speed. 85 MPH. Didn't feel that fast, didn't rev that fast, just pulled and pulled. Gave me a reality check for sure.

At any rate, quoting Paul Simon, " why don't we just sleep on it tonight and in the morning, you will begin to see the light" from 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover.

Yes I am.:cautious:

I'm not a full throttle kind of guy. I rode on roads that I've ridden/driven on for the last 40 years. There is one section that has a series of hills. I was behind some slower traffic and decided there was enough room and sight distance to do so easily. In 6th gear, downshifted to 5th. Traffic was rolling about 65 MPH, speed limit 55. Pulled out, gave it some throttle and off we went, when I passed the 3rd car, I did a mirror check, head check and pulled back in line. Then looked at my speed. 85 MPH. Didn't feel that fast, didn't rev that fast, just pulled and pulled. Gave me a reality check for sure.
She's a thoroughbred without a doubt, control is the key, and having that horsepower when needed has kept me out of trouble on long trips in heavily congested traffic, it's nice to rocket into a hole when you need to. Knowing when to pull the trigger is the answer.

Oh and by the way my right wrist is a problem as well, an o-ring throttle lock is a life saver on long hauls and cheap as, well you know.

Haven't found the elusive parts directory. Someone point me in the right direction plz.

Slept on it, went to the Secretary of State's office, applied for title and transfer. Gonna keep on riding it and see how it all works out.

Life is good.

Haven't found the elusive parts directory. Someone point me in the right direction plz.
https://forum.concours.org/index.ph...irectory-paint-codes-fluids-and-filters.4931/

https://forum.concours.org/index.php?forums/accessories-c14.78/
https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/concours14-farkle-accessories-vendor-directory.4603/

At the risk of beating a dead horse, read up on KIPASS and what happens when you lose a FOB.
https://forum.concours.org/index.ph...gs-to-know-beginners-should-start-here.13763/

Welcome! Glad you are here.

7Afd.gif

We could use a little more ol' timers new blood around here*.
(*of course some opinions vary on that depending on the first digit of their own age.)

bmwbud.jpg

Hope that isn't enough to get me booted off this forum. 😁 Had this plate on many Beemers and have grown rather fond of it.

https://forum.concours.org/index.ph...irectory-paint-codes-fluids-and-filters.4931/

https://forum.concours.org/index.php?forums/accessories-c14.78/
https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/concours14-farkle-accessories-vendor-directory.4603/

At the risk of beating a dead horse, read up on KIPASS and what happens when you lose a FOB.
https://forum.concours.org/index.ph...gs-to-know-beginners-should-start-here.13763/

Welcome! Glad you are here.

7Afd.gif

We could use a little more ol' timers new blood around here*.
(*of course some opinions vary on that depending on the first digit of their own age.)
Thanks for the welcome. New "old" blood at my age. I like what I have seen so far. Fairly civil for a M/C forum and haven't seen a single new "oil thread" posted since I came here, but inquiring minds want to know if putting nitrogen in your motorcycle tires is worth it or not? 🤣

dhorse.gif

Welcome to the group BMW. Your gonna like it here.
Lots of good folks. (Even Marty) 😵

Reading your posts, (the response/gas mileage/etc) it sounds like the bike may be Flashed already.
To check, you can remove the ECU and look at the bottom. (EZ to do)
If flashed, there will be a sticker attached to the bottom.
Or, ask the prior owner if he knows..

Ride safe, Ted

PS-I: The COG National is gonna happen in June. "Come ride with us".

PS-II; If you make it to the National, I'll let you ride with RED so that you can experience the Fastest Color. <evil grin>

Been looking for a source on those KMW stickers, I can't get the ones off my C-10, I thought they were decals as opposed to stickers, they ain't coming off. Thought I had a source but it's been a few weeks and he hasn't responded back and the folks who originally made them got out of it.

I have been working on copying the one on my 05. I want to try it printed on vinyl sticker paper. I still don't like the color reproduction I am getting, so still a work in progress. KMW logo.jpg

I'm working with a guy I think may have been a member here long ago, but I found him over on a Versys forum thread from a few years back, he has a design and I told him that a few may want them here. As an artist he was concerned about copying anothers work and I think he may have backed away. I tried to tell him that there was no copyright or design ownership as the original maker just got out of it as it was a fun hobby funny thing anyhow. Will try again next week.

Hope someone makes some.
After contacting and getting the blessing of Brad Esler (the origional KMW designer) I got them set up with a bubble decal manufacturer so they look much more like an emblem than a sticker. I posted on the other forum and got no interest so I paid up for the proofs and didn't want to commit to a $500 run on speculation. This one set ended up being pretty expensive.
KMW1.JPG
KMW2.JPG

YES,YES, YES! I like them, that's what I've been looking for. Let us know the availability and cost. I'm good for a few. You need to post this info and pics on it's own separate thread to get more people to see them.

It would take only one person (perhaps not reading the "K" or noticing the green, certainly not getting the joke.) walking by saying that I was actually trying to fake/make my bike look like a BMW, to ruin the whole thing for me. So No.

Yes, should be split off to new thread, we're stepping all over bmwbud828's intro.

Last edited:
No problem. It's all good for me. I enjoy everything here and like to see the activity which shows people like their bikes and care. Very, very civil compared to some others!

LOL, we just tend to avoid feeding the trolls over here. At least that's what I've noticed, and one of the key reasons I've stayed. :^ ) AB