• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

No 2023 Concours - C14 Discontinued

Fred H.

This may be old news, but I was on the Kawasaki website this morning and they have announced the 2023 models. Sadly, no Concours is listed. Looks like the end of the line for it.

You can however now buy an electric bike (Elektrode) from them.

Last edited:
What was the gap like between the retirement of the C10 with year 2006 and the intro of the C14 with year 2008? Was it a year or more before they rolled out the new edition?
It may be a good strategy to help the dealers clear their “old” C14 inventory — though I’ve read that the factory doesn’t get too worried about keeping dealers happy.

My suspicion is that due to the current market and overall economic environment, you won't see a return of the Kawasaki Concours. It feels to me like this is the end.

I hear your point Fred, but have to say that new owners do exist. I was away from the bike world for a long stretch, and when I came back I had the option to buy anything I wanted. The K1600 looked interesting, as did the new Wing, but when I did the math and realized how much to TCO (total cost of ownership) was going to be I realized that sticking to what I was familiar and very happy with - the Kawasaki product line - I'd keep a nice chunk of cash in my account to be used on farkles and trips.

Maybe we'll find out in 2025 that Mama Kawa is launching something hybrid, with a launch battery from 1,200 to 3,500 RPMs and then motor after that for cruising, with total HP of 200+ and range of 300 miles.

If I may, I deal with bike owners pretty much daily.. From the fellow who just picked up a 2000 Connie for $1200 to the new 2023 H2 owner
The new SPORT tourer, is kinda like Ted ( only younger and sma.....ahh Ted aint reading this is he?) Buy a full on Sport bike, trailer it to the finest roads in all the land, flog it with out mercy for three hours... Load her up and kick back at the resort for some refreshment and memories of a great day. Enjoy the trip back home in the comfort of a climate controlled cab...,,thats sport touring... The touring bike folks tend to be more.....touring, and I think thats a market that is aging out.....

..but thats just me..

Murph

Last edited:
Concur with you Murph, to a degree. People continue to turn 50 every day in all corners of the planet. The USA isn't the only market. For example, Asia has a very active C14 community. But I agree that the number of people who were born in the 50's and 60's who are buying bigger bikes is starting to thin out. And those who are aren't necessarily going with a bike that straddles two categories. They're getting cruisers or crotch rockets, with only a few of us selecting something in both worlds.

Great discussion BTW. I like talking about market segmentation and the psychographics of a target group. Thx, AB

Think about it...how much money do you have to put into a C14 to get the performance of a stock ZX14?

More like, how much custom frame and bodywork does it take to modify the stock ZX14 to provide an upright riding position with integrated hard-case luggage? Probably about as much as it takes to get a few more ponies from this motor. And even then the ZX14 still has a chain drive, so it'll never be as smooth as the C14. LOL :^ ) AB

If I were to guess, I'd bet all you'll see in the future is an H2 with some saddle bags added to it. I may be wrong, but my gut tells me you won't see a Concours badged bike from Kawasaki again.

Cliff rode an Adventure style bike while OtP that had bags windshield, trunk.
Was the Versys 1000 SE LT.
Ride safe, Ted

It was a nice bike & I enjoyed it very much, I don't see it as a two up bike though. While at Kawasaki headquarters picking up my loaner bike I was talking to one of the higher ups & he said the C14 hadn't been sold in Europe since 2017 because of emissions. He couldn't say if it was being discontinued here but he indicated it, so it was to be expected

The new SPORT tourer, is kinda like Ted ( only younger and sma.....ahh Ted aint reading this is he?) Buy a full on Sport bike, trailer it to the finest roads in all the land, flog it with out mercy for three hours... Load her up and kick back at the resort for some refreshment and memories of a great day. Enjoy the trip back home in the comfort of a climate controlled cab...,,thats sport touring...

Murph

Be nice to Ted Murph, I've seen him ride as much 4 1/2 hours before loading back up! :ROFLMAO:

The touring bike folks tend to be more.....touring, and I think thats a market that is aging out.....

Murph

Some of us still ride to the finest roads no matter which boarder or coast & then ride back in whatever crappy weather we get delt.

Of my 3 bikes the C14 is still my favorite go to bike!

More like, how much custom frame and bodywork does it take to modify the stock ZX14 to provide an upright riding position with integrated hard-case luggage?

Well all that can be done legally..unlike "performance" upgrades to the C14..hate to be the adult in the room, everyone knows thats so much not like me Back to what I said.. 3 hours of adrenaline pumping doesn't require upright seating and baggage .

H2 with some saddle bags added to it.
Yep, and look what Kawasaki is doing.....

4 1/2 hours before loading back up

...L.. I love Ted warts and all....hes actually spent the night at Murphs! 😊

..end of the day...ride your own ride.......

You think moma K doesnt track forums and FB stuff....??

best to all

Murph

Sad to see the Concours badge go but we can all attest it's been a great run. When I got back into motorcycles it didn't take me long at all to zero in on the Concours. I bought a 2002 and rode it for 10 years before picking up my '10. You could feel this coming. The last few years they've been putting the upgrades into the Versys/H2 and rolling the Connie out with the same stuff in a different color. Mama K builds a great bike but I'll pass on that electric thing.

With all the manufacturers marketing alternative bikes for "Sport Touring" why are they all chain drive? Multiple day plus rides require less maintenance and smoothness.
When my 2010 finally needs replacement will I have to resort to a Wing? They are nice but is it comparable?

Sad to see the Concours badge go but we can all attest it's been a great run. When I got back into motorcycles it didn't take me long at all to zero in on the Concours. I bought a 2002 and rode it for 10 years before picking up my '10. You could feel this coming. The last few years they've been putting the upgrades into the Versys/H2 and rolling the Connie out with the same stuff in a different color. Mama K builds a great bike but I'll pass on that electric thing.
Are you sure you want to pass on the “electric thing?” It look pretty cool — made for kids 3-8 to learn to ride. If I have grandkids, it might get added to my list.
In the meantime, the only bike in the line up that even grabs my interest is the Z900 Cafe.
Truth is, with C10s still running strong at 20-30 years old, I figure I‘ll still be able to snap up low mile C14s for a song right up until I age out of riding and am jonesing for a lap on my grandkids electric push bike.

I’ve seen the videos about a not-so-secret ZX15 “secret project” designed to once again put the whoop-@ss on Suzuki’s updated Busa. If true, it could mean a sport-touring version a year or two after the initial launch.

I can’t help but chuckle because here we are as part of the aging market segment Mama Kawa has decided is not really all that interesting anymore, talking about a market segment that hasn’t yet come of age (or that’s still in the process of coming of age). The upcoming, soon-to-be sports tourers are still having babies, buying their first home, and finishing their first decade in their professions.

And I find it difficult to believe that those who would opt for a chunky monkey as we ride will also be part of the climate crisis committee. Instead, they’ll be power-hungry adrenalin junkies like the rest of us. They may have a natural curiosity about the instant power offered by battery-powered toys, just like some of us currently express, but it won't be their primary source of get-outta-town riding.

I could see it coming. The newer generations are all about ease and comfort. It takes grit to ride a bike for over 4 hours. The California Highway Patrol is having a hard time filling available motorcycle officer positions because the newer generations like an A/C car and computer & cell phone access. Lots of changes coming up. Love em while you got em.

This has been reported by various sources on the internet for a while now. I think we all knew it was coming. The removal of models on the Kawasaki 2023 website just confirms it.

Sad to see the C-14 discontinued. I was waiting and hoping they would modernize it like the 2019 Versys SE LT plus. Owning both this Versys the C-14, I can say that the Versys is sportier through the turns, but the C-14 has more power hands down. If I were touring, the Versys is just as capable (smaller saddle bags at 28 L) as the C-14, and with the cruise control, perhaps even the better option for long overnight trips. But, funny that my recent overnight-many miles trip I still chose the C-14. On the Versus you sit more upright and the handlebars are wider. I believe for very long rides the Versys my actually be more comfortable, and the wind protection is adequate. But dang, I still like the C-14 and will be keeping it. It's hard to explain, but the C-14 is obviously faster, but the Versys seems like it has more torque and and is quicker off the throttle. The up and down quick shifter may be part of that. I can say that the Versys is sportier through the turns, but the C-14 has more power hands down.

If I were touring, the Versys is just as capable (smaller weird shaped saddle bags) as the C-14, and with the cruise control, it could be better for longer trips? I believe for very long rides the Versys is more comfortable, and the wind protection is adequate, but less protection than the C-14. The Versys has the smaller non motorized windscreen and and chain drive, but overall has many other pluses. Those include the electronic adjustable suspension, the Bosch cornering ABS and cornering lights for night riding. Its a bunch of great additions, and again just wishing they would have upgraded the C-14 and not discontinued it. if the 2014 had the features of the 2019 Versy, I would have bought one right away.

Murph,
Here is what I added to the Verses right away, so it might give you an idea. Many of these items are on my C-14 as well. I posted this to the Versys forum over three years ago. You did get a sale. There will be no need to upgrade to LED’s lights, replace the windscreen, replace the seat, flash it, and add cruise control.

Items put on at 105 Miles.....

For Safety:
Fog Light bar and switch (Kawasaki Accessory)
PIAA 500hz/600Hz dual horn kit (Amazon)
Horn Relay kit (Amazon)
Hyperlites 32 Led Flashing brake lights (Hyperlites.com)
License Plate Bullet LED Brake lights (Ebay)
CAREUD Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring system (Amazon)

For Protection:
Frame sliders (Kawasaki Accessory)
Front Fork Sliders (Kawasaki Accessory)
Stainless Steel license plate bracket (Amazon)
Fuze Block FZ-1 (Adventure Designs)
Fender extender (Twisted Throttle)
Kawasaki Radiator Guard (Kawasaki)
Oil Filter Protection Cover (Murph's Kits)

For comfort/usability:
47 L top case/color matched (Kawasaki Accessory)
Givi T502 Inner Liner Bag For Givi V47 (Twisted Throttle)
Cortech Super Low 2.0 Low profile Tank Bag (Rev Zilla)
Nelson Rig Tail Bag (Rev Zilla)
MoTech Kickstand enlarger pad (Rev Zilla)
Airhawk R Cruiser Seat (Revzilla)
Nelson Riggs Bike Cover XL Tour (Rev Zilla)
Heated Gear Cable (Amazon)
CAREUD Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System (Amazon)
Apple Lighting cable for Saddlebag Power (Amazon)
Under seat USB 2-port connector (Amazon)
Kawasaki saddle bag liners (Amazon)
Registration and owner’s manual zipper pouch (Amazon)
Handle bar Ram mount ball (Amazon)
Ram ball mounts (Amazon)
Spot tracker roller holder (Amazon)
Keychain with carbineer mounted to tail bracket (Amazon)
D ring helmet lock (Amazon)
Garmin Zumo 595 (The GPS Store)
Sandisk 32 Micro SD card for GPS (Amazon)
Above gauges GPS holder (Iconic parts)
Gas can holder (Twisted Throttle)
32 OZ spare gas bottle (Twisted Throttle)

Tools/Cleaners
Slime Pump (Amazon)
Plug Kit (Amazon)
Grunge Brush (Amazon)
Honda Chain cleaning kit (Amazon)
WD-40 Chain cleaner (Amazon)
Kawasaki Service Manual (Pat and Son)

Future items:
Smart Turn system STS self-cancelling turn signals
Automatic chain oiler? (Is this really necessary?)

Hope this helps….

Many higher end bikes that are called "Sport Touring" are really more sport and have not had the screen coverage, leg position and seat comfort that true sport touring riders like C10 & C14 drivers have become accustomed to, not to mention the overall great performance we squeeze out of our Connie's with just a few tweaks here and there like flashing, exhaust and the like. As mentioned in another string I had for a short time the new Ninja1000 SX, bags and all to see how it stacked up to my Fat Ninja. Turned out to be apples and oranges. Ok seating position and comfort but not for longer +100 miles rides, smaller screen and less wind protection and much more wind noise. Good performance and the tech added to the bike was really nice. At the end of the day, two months actually, I took it back to the dealer settling back into my C14. Like having a tryst with a high speed, low drag pretty thing that woke me up to the real strengths of big, fast and well built super tourer's, Kawasaki hit the mark with the C Series and worked it for what, a couple of decades while we grew up with them.

The thought of finding another bike as generally good as the Connie, and at the price point they are sold at is IMO impossible. Add the concept of self maintenance which many C drivers do and with the experience and benefit of caring people on this forum, the quantity of farkles available makes this an unbeatable platform and explains why we are such a loyal group of riders.

My riding buddy recently bought a used FJR1300, pretty matte blue model to replace or augment his Vstrom 1000 which is his daily rider has come away not impressed. They do have newer electronics but he was not happy with its riding position, etc. So, nothing is ever perfect, but the Concours provides a great platform to make it right for each rider, and never have to be embarrassed because you got passed by a Harley...

Safe Riding!

Gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja

With all the manufacturers marketing alternative bikes for "Sport Touring" why are they all chain drive? Multiple day plus rides require less maintenance and smoothness.
When my 2010 finally needs replacement will I have to resort to a Wing? They are nice but is it comparable?
Good luck with that since the big rumor is Big Red will kill the Wing in 2025

It'll be interesting to see how the constructors will adapt themselves and their production lines once we've gotten through this "green" crapola phase. We all know it's a big scam. Largest wealth transfer in the history of mankind. At some point, ESG scores will again point to consumers as culprits for all the stockpiles of unrecyclable batteries that start appearing in the next 5-10 yrs.

There's also going to be a massive pushback from the global community when commodity prices climb as mining operational costs spiral upwards to extract a constrained resource, and environmentalists start realizing that 'saving the planet' means strip-mining the entire surface to find rare earth elements necessary to produce the technologies they claim will cut greenhouse gasses. It's all hogwash.

Unless the X-Files department starts releasing alien technologies for powering POVs (or there's a breakthrough in cold fusion), the best we've got is fossil-fueled combustion engines. But if the majors have changed out their production & supply lines, the costs to scrap all that and go back to petro-based power units will create a whole bunch of separate supply-and-demand issues.

I sure hope that some adults are still running these large conglomerates because, in the hands of ideological children, all our industries will start derailing. And that will signal that the engine of the world is beginning to break down, possibly leading to other less gratifying global situations that can potentially bring very dissatisfactory things to our doorsteps.

So thankful to be alive at this point in human history when machines like the C14 are available, affordable, and imminently agreeable with my aging body. I think I'll keep ahold of my beautiful black barchetta and ride it until the wheels come off or my lights go out - whichever comes first. :^ ) AB

Last edited:
Sucks there will not be a 2023. Yamaha still making the FJR. Will be interesting to see how long that continues. Suzuki is about to leave the US market entirely I hear.

The Concours 14 was built for Europe! and its departure from the North American Market has nothing to do with Emissions unlike in Europe but has more to do with an aging market, the majority of people have reached their mid-60 to 70 age range and are not supporting the motorcycle industry with new sales, Concours 14 target was the mid-50s >+.
You can still buy the 2023 ZX14R cause it sells!

For a while, the rage was tall adventure bikes so glad that fad is more than 3/4 dead, Cant imagine a seat height of 35 3/4" inches with a six-gallon fuel tank up high, yea that feels really good while going down!

Kawasaki brought out the H2 Sport tourer and a certain age demographic and motorcyclists buy it, Suzuki brought out an all-new GSX-S GT Sport tourer, and the same thing for all the new lighter sport-tourers, Even Moto Guzzi dumped the Norge GT 8V and released a really nice V100 that got so many pre-orders in the first three days it surprised Piaggio.

Suzuki is not leaving the North American market ever! Especially in outboards, America leads the sales in pleasure boats and they are growing year by year putting a dent in Yamaha & Merc, Suzuki released the all-new Busa & Gsx-S platform and all I'm gonna say is your going to see a Supercharged platform soon!

Here is a press release confirming Suzuki staying in the Bike market, I can also say they have some really nice products planned for the next few years that I have seen, my company and I look forward to serving Suzuki motor corp for many years!

It'll be interesting to see how the constructors will adapt themselves and their production lines once we've gotten through this "green" crapola phase. We all know it's a big scam. Largest wealth transfer in the history of mankind. At some point, ESG scores will again point to consumers as culprits for all the stockpiles of unrecyclable batteries that start appearing in the next 5-10 yrs.

There's also going to be a massive pushback from the global community when commodity prices climb as mining operational costs spiral upwards to extract a constrained resource, and environmentalists start realizing that 'saving the planet' means strip-mining the entire surface to find rare earth elements necessary to produce the technologies they claim will cut greenhouse gasses. It's all hogwash.

Unless the X-Files department starts releasing alien technologies for powering POVs (or there's a breakthrough in cold fusion), the best we've got is fossil-fueled combustion engines. But if the majors have changed out their production & supply lines, the costs to scrap all that and go back to petro-based power units will create a whole bunch of separate supply-and-demand issues.

I sure hope that some adults are still running these large conglomerates because, in the hands of ideological children, all our industries will start derailing. And that will signal that the engine of the world is beginning to break down, possibly leading to other less gratifying global situations that can potentially bring very dissatisfactory things to our doorsteps.

So thankful to be alive at this point in human history when machines like the C14 are available, affordable, and imminently agreeable with my aging body. I think I'll keep ahold of my beautiful black barchetta and ride it until the wheels come off or my lights go out - whichever comes first. :^ ) AB

Not black, but red; still a Barchetta.

Sorry, couldn't resist:

the best we've got is fossil-fueled combustion engines.

Which the best of them are only 35% efficient ....limited by the materials used that can't take the heat....we should be way up the ladder from this by now

Busa & Gsx-S platform and all I'm gonna say is your going to see a Supercharged platform soon!

Go big or go home!!

Remember when big bikes were 750s?

4bikes....thanks for the list,, lot of Amazon mentioned in there...

....tally ho! fellows..

Which the best of them are only 35% efficient ....limited by the materials used that can't take the heat....we should be way up the ladder from this by now

Go big or go home!!

Remember when big bikes were 750s?

4bikes....thanks for the list,, lot of Amazon mentioned in there...

....tally ho! fellows..
My first ever brand-new Motorcycle was a 1979 Triumph 750 Bonneville, which was considered a big bike

35% is meaningless unless it's as a comparative to the alternative power systems.
Wind = 20% to 40% conversion of kinetic energy (while proponents claim up to 50%)
Solar = 20% (but isn't actually powering many lively POVs)

Batteries are a completely different animal altogether. They still require coal-fired or nuclear power plants to produce the electricity used to provide charge, and the installation of a network of stations strategically placed across the landmasses. This means the RIDER will no longer have an option about where they ride and when. Their trips are dictated by the availability of appropriate charging units that have been installed by a company that wants to turn a profit. Again, it's all just hogwash. A transfer of wealth from the old oil barons to the newfangled "power company" barons. Whoever fights on behalf of either of these new OR old barons is gullible at best.

The raging debate about the efficiencies of one power source over another is part of the culture war. On the one side, we have those who know and love the internal combustion engine, while on the other are the people who refuse to acknowledge the entire cost of replacing what works and is pretty good with the alternatives. And if changing over to the new tech means destroying the economies of the earth I say No Thanks. It took me too long to get where I am to have everything I built (based on the old rules) be wiped out by hippies, dopers, trannies, or tree-huggers.

At least with the engines we have upwards of 90% that can be recycled. Can't say the same for the fiber-reinforced composites making up wind turbine blades, or the solar panels that require chemical baths to separate out the silicon.

Good discussion though, even if we're hijacking Fred's thread a little. LOL :^ ) AB

35% is meaningless unless it's as a comparative to the alternative power systems.
Wind = 20% to 40% conversion of kinetic energy (while proponents claim up to 50%)

Batteries are a completely different animal altogether. They still require coal-fired or nuclear power plants to produce the electricity used to provide charge, and the installation of a network of stations strategically placed across the landmasses. This means the RIDER will no longer have an option about where they ride and when. Their trips are dictated by the availability of appropriate charging units that have been installed by a company that wants to turn a profit. Again, it's all just hogwash. A transfer of wealth from the old oil barons to the newfangled "power company" barons. Whoever fights on behalf of either of these new OR old barons is gullible at best.

The raging debate about the efficiencies of one power source over another is part of the culture war. On the one side, we have those who know and love the internal combustion engine, while on the other are the people who refuse to acknowledge the entire cost of replacing what works and is pretty good with the alternatives. And if changing over to the new tech means destroying the economies of the earth I say No Thanks. It took me too long to get where I am to have everything I built (based on the old rules) be wiped out by hippies, dopers, trannies, or tree-huggers.

At least with the engines we have upwards of 90% that can be recycled. Can't say the same for the fiber-reinforced composites making up wind turbine blades, or the solar panels that require chemical baths to separate out the silicon.

Good discussion though, even if we're hijacking Fred's thread a little. LOL :^ ) AB

In that regard, I'll throw THIS interesting piece (from ADV) into the mix.

Hey Guy, good article and thanks for pitching in. Maybe we should take this to another thread altogether?

"I get a lot of pushback on EV tech from those who claim that power grids won’t be able to handle the strain (debatable), that batteries are somehow “less green” than procuring and using fossil fuels (patently untrue), and that on balance, EVs are somehow inferior to gassers (try racing one)." - Bill Roberson, aka Adventure Rider

I'll reply with THIS particular piece about what it really means to go green. "As long as the United States continues to outsource production and jobs to China, it will be hardworking Americans who suffer the economic consequences of our energy dependence."

I'm not particularly fond of communism and what it means. I served in the Army until the wall came down and Cold War 1 ended. I don't want us getting into a hot war with the regime(s) we're on our knees in front of for the raw materials that will determine our mobility as a free society if (and when) we go all-electric. And that my friends is frightening. Take away our ability to move around freely and we're ripe for getting visited by people who are not friendlies.

Not everyone is thinking this all the way through, but instead are looking at the equation using Clinton-era economics. Cold War 2.0 is already well underway thanks to those who sold out our industrial base for a few bucks and their own personal prominence on the world stage back in 1992. They weren't thinking of us when they did it. They were thinking about all those Benjamins in their bank accounts.

Last edited:

You don't buy wind or solar by the gallon..its there for the taking , and will be there as long as the sun comes up.. 😊 back many years ago during oil embargo ...ummm number one maybe?? There was a small group working on ceramic engines. which would allow a much higher operating temp, dramatically increasing efficiency ..old school Smokey Yunick was into it, I think an aussie company even had a prototype built...the down fall being the expense . Great story on engine creation is Frank Whittle...the jet engine guy...took a little while for the metallurgist to catch up with him... Part of the petroleum driven situation is its always been cheap...you could afford to send 65% out the stack as waste.. granted, its great stuff..energy density and all that, the problem (to me) is we need to be doing better at turning more of it into mechanical energy.

Fully agree Murph, being able to capture more of the potential energy would be phenomenal. Petro companies don't like that idea though and have bought out just about every single invention under the sun that would improve efficiencies. Why? So people continue to buy more of their go-juice. It's about time some of that tech gets released so the brainiacs can combine modern materials science with innovations in small manufacturing. I'd think that they'd want to survive rather than die off like the steam engine of yore.

Y'all are forgetting Fuel Celled vehicles and motorcycles.
In the Fuel Celled Vehicles, Hydrogen produces electricity. That electricity drives an electric motor.
The by product of the process is not a pollutant. It's water.
Wouldn't overburden the electrical grid.
If phased in correctly, Hydrogen filling station's could be developed.

Only 1 err small problem. (None of us would be able to afford one).

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Well I say....great minds that we all are we should pick this up over on the left over page ..we did kinda go sideways..

I truly enjoy a great open discussions on just about everything....but COG don't...L.. and I get it..hats off to the Mods...

Gentleman...its always a pleasure..

Fred, I assume that is Arkansas? Looks like fantastic riding. Any threats from deer with all those woods? This time of year, I was looking out for them even while riding along with your video.

I have a Gen 1 and Gen 2 C14. Guess the next thing to buy is a lightly used Gen 3 (2015-end) and lay in enough common maintenance parts that I'll be able to enjoy these bikes until I don't ride any longer. They're definitely my go-to mount these days.

Or possibly reprise my first "touring" bike. Take a later model CB750 SOHC, update the ignition components and front suspension/brakes. Throw a Windjammer IV or V w/ lowers on the front, a set of Shoei SB-2s and a sissy bar/tail rack on the rear. Upgrade the alternator to accommodate the AM/FM/CB rig in the Cycle Tunes enclosure. A set of MAC 4-2 duals.

Since the Connies require premium, I'm not adverse to fueling the 750 with it. That allows for an 836 kit and matching cam. A Lockhart oil cooler helps with the extra heat.

My original had lots of chrome. This one will have lots of black powdercoat and cast wheels if I can find a set. It would be a 3.5 season bike. I chose this platform for a reason: 42 years after the last 750 SOHC rolled off the assembly line, the aftermarket continues to support the model in a huge way. Almost everything sans frame can be sourced online.

I'd also consider a KZ1000/1100 if a similar support network exists.

Put a lot of miles on that 750 before it and a bunch more in pieces were sold to a buddy. But then again, I am from the era that usually pieced their rides together.

My C-14 is now over 11 years old, which is hard for me to believe. I had similar thoughts about buying a new Gen 3 so I can ride it until I'm done. Probably not necessary, since if I did that, I would keep the old one, and both bikes would outlast me.

1000% agree. All may not be lost. I've read articles that the CEO's of Ford and Toyota have made statements in the past few months that there would always be a gas-powered vehicle market segment. I guess it's dawned on them that they don't want to risk totally ruining these companies over the EV fad. Toyota as been sounding the most sensible lately.

As far as bikes, I love the wind protection, shaft drive, and power-windshield of the C14 and don't mind the weight at all. The power is cool too. Main reasons I sold my CBR and got a C14. Had no desire to handle a greasy chain anymore.

Last edited:
Honda is working on a hybrid version of the Gold Wing. I'd take a hybrid over an EV bike any day of the week. No need to stop and recharge. It's the only "green" platform that makes sense for long distance touring. I can refill a gas tank in under 2 minutes and be back on the road. How many HOURS does it take to recharge an EV bike?

The only question I have is with a hybrid is with batteries, a gasoline motor, and electric motors, how much is it all going to weigh in at?

Last edited:
I know all the reason why they are not here but I always held out hope for a Diesel bike, again, I know they were/are made, I know the reasons why they are not in the U.S. as a regular offered commercial bike for sale. Enough caveats there?

Imagine what could have been if the technology was allowed to evolve as in cars what we could have had here. Maybe not a true sport tourer in the truest sense, but certainly a tourer.

I just completed another very involved survey about my '22 C-14, this time from the Motorcycle Consumer Experience Study. Ironic for a bike that will never be made again to have not one but two surveys, one from Kawasaki and one from this place that wanted to know every single thing I knew about the bike. This I'm sure all goes into a data base for the thinkers at the makers and where they can spot trends and make money giving us the bikes we want.

I did the same. Answered a gazillion questions about the bike, the buying experience, service expectations, and provided suggestions in the free text fields. Never rcv’d any follow-ups though.

Last edited:
This I'm sure all goes into a data base for the thinkers at the makers and where they can spot trends and make money giving us the bikes we want.

...or was started by a team four years ago that was long dissolved...but the software still spits it out..that seems to be how things work these days L

Well, when I indicated that I buy bikes about once every 20 year or so, I'm sure the data gods wrapped it up and moved to another survey taker.:)

The blogs are a day late and dollar short to info originally stated on this forum..

IMHO Kawasaki is doing now the same thing they did in 2006. No new model offered and selling leftovers to clear out inventory.

Last edited:
The perhaps feel good takeaway for the Concours fans would be this.......

The information we have leads us to believe Kawasaki will produce a next generation sport touring machine that features TFT panel instrumentation on top of the latest technology, loads of rider aids, and all the sport touring goodness that riders have come to expect from the venerable Concours.

The world of sport touring motorcycles is evolving toward greater efficiency, safety, and most of all fun. Kawasaki isn’t likely to walk away from this important segment of the motorcycling community.

The information we have leads us to believe Kawasaki will produce a next generation sport touring machine that features TFT panel instrumentation on top of the latest technology, loads of rider aids, and all the sport touring goodness that riders have come to expect from the venerable Concours.

The world of sport touring motorcycles is evolving toward greater efficiency, safety, and most of all fun. Kawasaki isn’t likely to walk away from this important segment of the motorcycling community.
I read that a while back, I thought at the time they were unrealistically optimistic. However, I certainly hope they are correct.....maybe if we all say every night before bed "I beleive, I beleive, I be..." 🤞 🙏

Sad to see the Concours badge go ... but I'll pass on that electric thing.
Yep that's about where I am... am in my mid-70s now. so 1000+ days may be mostly a memory, but road miles are where I enjoy, relax and get into it since the 60s crossing much of the 48 on my P11... don't see electric being able to make half-contonent jumps until the technology is ramped up considerably... still, even if the "Connie" concept fades, there are still bikes that mimic most of the features (without riding home in the back of a pickup... nuthin wrong with that, just never been my gig... but as was intimatewd above; folks like me seem to be dying out... literally)

My takeaway is that I’m still totally happy with my 200K+ mile ’95 that’s still running as strong as ever and still gets ridden almost every other day** - somewhere. For whatever reason, I could never connect with the C14. Lord knows I tried. The local dealer at the time even tried – called me at work one day to tell me they just got one in on the showroom floor, so I called the wife to tell her that I was going to run by there and take a looksee. Her comment: “Don’t bring one home – don’t forget our daughter is getting married in a couple of months.” I hadn’t really planned on it anyway, probably because it was the bux; I’d become the poster boy as the frugal COGger.

While bikes are somewhat of a hobby to some, they’re more of a “closet” lifestyle to me and have been for quite a while. Whenever possible, they have been my primary means of transportation for a very long time. Even so, I still find it hard to justify putting out all that money for a new motorcycle that’s going to give me the same enjoyment that I am experiencing on the one that I’m currently riding. Plus, it’s also one that’s devoid of all the high-tech electronic gizmo “stuff” that I can’t work on when out on the road in the middle of BFE and the SHTF.

** Present day saddle time is shared with a ~60K mile ‘02 KLR and a ’67 Honda CL77 305 Scrambler.

Honda has been making the CB1300 BOL d'OR for several years. Great looking bike with an upright riding position and a very nice half fairing. Unfortunately its only been available overseas.
If Kawi build something similar using the ZX14 motor, add saddlebags and you'd have a very capable sport tourer that I'd seriously consider when the time comes.

Footnote - I owned a 2004 ZRX for 15 years and am partial the that style of bike.

I'm one of those aging out of the market I guess. I'm 55 and bought a new 21 Concours a year and a half ago. I told myself it may be my last big heavy bike. My plan was to spend a decade trying to wear it out. Plan hasn't changed, except that the more I learn about the bike, the more I think a decade isn't enough time to wear one of these out if I maintain it properly. Watching the big smooth sport tourers disappear is bumming me out. The ST is gone, The Connie is gone. Sad. The market place is changing for sure. I think the difference is that the newer riders want either a "toy" that fills a specific niche, like a sport bike, or a motocross bike; or something to pose with. People who want a good bike to live with on the daily are aging out of the market. Sport tourers are great every day, every purpose bikes. Commute, vacation, flogging in the canyon for a few hours... We need to convince more of the youngsters to be every day, rain or shine riders. That's the only way to keep this type of bike alive.

I'm one of those aging out of the market I guess. I'm 55 and bought a new 21 Concours a year and a half ago.
Hey young-in you ain't even close, you got 20 yrs. to go at least. ;)

Sport tourers are great every day, every purpose bikes. Commute, vacation, flogging in the canyon for a few hours... We need to convince more of the youngsters to be every day, rain or shine riders. That's the only way to keep this type of bike alive.

That's fine for the big n tall folks, however convincing those of smaller stature to ride a 650-700 lb bike on a daily basis will probably make them quit sooner rather than later. However if they can ride daily on a smaller bike (naked - sport - Dual purpose) to keep their skills up to snuff, and then use the Sport Tourer for actual touring then maybe....? Problem is, the young folks just don't want to ride in the same percentages as the previous generations did, and those that do, have trouble getting time off from work to go on a week to three week trip.

I'm curious Walt', how many of your regular riding buddies are in your immediate age group....I'm just speculating of course...but I would guess that you at only 55 are probably one of the youngest in your group. Yes ?..No? :unsure:

Wow that's great(y), maybe the future of motorcycling isn't as bleak as I thought it was.

The state run basic rider courses here fill to capacity during the training season almost every year in the 24 years I've been with the program. The problem isn't that they are not getting into the sport, but rather most do not have the same disposable income as the 40+ y/o

Hey all, until I sold my mobile Millwright biz last year, I rode Connie daily with a 50# Klein Tool pack on me around Seattle with no troubles and am tipping toward 68 this April. Fortunately, the pack sits nicely on the rear seat taking all the weight off my back and shoulders while riding. I am happy the way it worked out. I just had to think about deliberately lifting my leg over the seat and right saddle bag when mounting and dismounting. I tried it on the Ninja 1000SX I had for a short time and the pack did not sit as well on the seat due to the different seating and bar position and of course there was more weight on my arms and wrists when riding...

Safe Riding!

Gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja

I've been riding since I was 10 years old. My parents bought my first mini bike for me and later got me my first street bike (1973 RD200) as a throw in during a heavy equipment purchase. I have four kids who all took an interest in riding. I bought a 250 ninja for the oldest to learn on. When she was ready, we shared the cost of a new 650 ninja for her and the 250 went to the next kid. This continued for all four children.

Yes, I was lucky enough to have parents that allowed me to ride and fortunate enough be able to help with the purchase of all those bikes as my kid grew up in motorcycling. I feel it was a worthwhile investment.

I wonder how many parents support their kids interest in motorcycling.

I loved riding my friends mini-bikes and little motorcycles back in the 70's. My parents were dead set against any motorcylces for me or my older brother, who secretly bought a Suzuki X6 Hustler back in 1973 when he was 15, no title, no license plates, no nothing, boy did that cause a stir.

I was 21 and working when I bought my first bike, a Kawasaki 305CSR but 40 when I got my 2001 C-10.

I've been riding since I was 10 years old. My parents bought my first mini bike for me and later got me my first street bike (1973 RD200) as a throw in during a heavy equipment purchase. I have four kids who all took an interest in riding. I bought a 250 ninja for the oldest to learn on. When she was ready, we shared the cost of a new 650 ninja for her and the 250 went to the next kid. This continued for all four children.

Yes, I was lucky enough to have parents that allowed me to ride and fortunate enough be able to help with the purchase of all those bikes as my kid grew up in motorcycling. I feel it was a worthwhile investment.

My first street bike was a 72 DS7 that was traded in at my parents store for a new riding lawnmower. My parents were a bit nervous, but supported my interest in motorcycles over the years. Mom could barely see in her later years, but always commented about how pretty my bikes were. I miss'm both.

My first street bike was a 1977 Suzuki GS400E at the age of sixteen, a year later I traded it in on a 1978 Suzuki GS1000E, my step-dad told my mom to not let me buy it because I would kill myself on that thing, she told him if she didn't let me buy it now that I would in a few months when I turned eighteen. 🤣

By the grace of God I'm still here.😃 but I did get a ticket for doing 52 mph in a 25, ouch.

"Yes, I was lucky enough to have parents that allowed me to ride..... "

I wasn't. As a young person, my mom was in the back seat of a car when some rider crashed into the back of it and smeared himself all over the rear window. The die was cast: No Bikes! I had to wait until I really cut the cord after I got out of the Service. Haven't slowed down since.

Kinda funny that when my dad was younger, he and a buddy from over in WV rode all over heck and creation on the fella's bike. Then at 71, he bought a bike, a little 100cc Kawasaki. He was writing for 2 WV newspapers at the time and his excuse was that he wanted to get out in the county on the back roads so he could do some human-interest stories for the articles he was writing - without tearing up his car. That lasted until he was riding down the curvy road in front of their house one day, and some fella came blasting around a turn, taking his half out of the middle and ran my dad off the road into a ditch. He survived with just a bruised leg, but unfortunately, my mom was at the kitchen sink doing some stuff and the whole thing played out before her eyes as seen through a window facing the road.

One bike - exit stage left.

Last edited:
Optomistic that this will come true:

Both of may sons starting doing cross-country tours with me when they turned 9 years old. I am 45 now and my oldest son is 19 and still will take rides with me...two-up. We have fun and don't care what it looks like. Both of my sons will be getting their own bikes as soon as they can afford them.

I don't see the problem. It seems that many/most new bike have followed the car model: the engineering is so mature and capable that the vehicles perform w/o serious issue for 100k miles. So Mfgs have to add tech to entice new buyers.

I don't want or need Apple-crap, ride modes hill-holders, Lazer radar, air bags, self -leveling, smart display, infotainment...

I do think ABS and tire pressure indicators are nice,, and adjustable windshield is a game changer. But I ride a motorcycle to get away from most of the modern world. All my favorite bikes are out of production, and I hope to collect some of them some time.

I leave all the new bikes to anyone that wants them, just not me.

Well said! I agree with you 100%. I also prefer analog gauges and physical keys. I will always be skittish about everything digitalized and computerized. Yeah, there are certainly advantages to those things, but the more sophisticated things get the more dependent I become and less capable to diagnose and perform my own repairs. It sucks that the discontinue the Connie, but I will be okay as long as parts and accessories will be available for as long as I own her....which could be 100's of thousands of miles and a very very very long time.

I am 69 and my 2015 has less than 70,000 km (44,000 miles). I suspect she has a lot of life left in her. I have the resources to buy a new bike but after a long search I can't find anything that excites me enough to make that move. Hopefully they come up with a touring bike that is not as tall as most of them seem to be. Having a 28 inch inseam is a challenge.