• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

No Kansas City...instead...Calgary!

salish14

I try to make my plans in the sand at low tide...

And in this case, I thought about my desire to ride slab across the heartland and was discouraged by the consideration. Sorry dear brother. I thought also of riding down to the Bay Area and seeing friends, but the prospect of yet another trip on I5 was deflating. Being a wilderness guy through and through, but wanting a long bike trip, I've decided to go and see my good friends in Calgary, AB.

I've done many, many trips in BC and AB by foot, kayak and car. One summer I hiked from Montana to the top of Jasper National Park by myself. That was a few months and a lot of miles. So I know the area really well. This trip will let me rider over Hwy 20 here in WA, which I have been meaning to do for years. For those that don't know, that route takes you over and through North Cascades National Park. I will then head east through WA so that I can ride up along the Western edge of the Rockies all the way to Yoho National Park in BC. I'll cross over and see my friends in Calgary. Then I think I'll shoot up toward Edmonton and come back down the Icefields Parkway, reflecting on all the trails I've hiked and peaks I've topped.

Then, somehow, I'll come home. It will be quick. I don't have more than 5 days for this whole escapade. Will need to ride for 6-8 hours a day, which will be no trouble on the old Connie.

So excited to cross over and through some of the most wild and beautiful country in the world. Now that they have put up elk fencing on the Icefields Parkway there is less chance of hitting a creature too. Bonus.

Happy summer riding all.

Sounds like a nice trip. I'm sure your friends will enjoy it too.  :great:

Please do, try to go spend some time with your brother tho. At some other time maybe.

Just back and WOW! That was the about the most amazing trip on asphalt I've ever had. Transcendent really. Alone in my helmet, no bluetooth or music, endless twisties among grandiose scenery. Conscious but not embodied. Unreal yet fully manifest.

My route felt perfect. I went over Hwy 20 and then stayed on 20 into Easter WA. Gorgeous. Went up into Canada through Ione and then across lower BC on Hwy 3. Up into the Canadian Rockies on Hwy 93 and Kootenay and down to Calgary to see those friends. Coming back I went up the Icefields Parkway...and there were so many bikes I'd estimate they were over 10% of vehicles. I went 1,820 miles over 5 days. Longest days of about 400+. My butt would hurt after two hours, and then constant adjustments of position and standing helped.

I came back down from Jasper by going out to Mt. Robson and down the West side of the Rockies, and a highlight of the whole ride was highway 5, 5A and Hwy 3 in BC. Just magnificent scenery all along. Rivers. Mountains.

I don't know how I could love my Connie anymore, but I learned a new love for her when traveling all those two lane mountain roads. There were always back ups of 3-5 cars and the passing lanes are short between curves. But on my Connie, in any gear, at any slope, I could pull out and pass the whole bunch in blur of speed. I'd look down some of the time and be amused at how quickly I'd gone from X to 2X in speed. Not going to say how I fast I went, but suffice to say it was still smooth and the needle was closer to the end than the halfway mark.

I camped a few nights, with the highlight being at the Columbia Icefields and Wilcox Camp. Did the hike up to Wilcox Pass and just about never came back down.

This was so much, so much more than a road trip. If anyone has any questions about details, just let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_4094 (1).jpg
    IMG_4094 (1).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 93
Yup. BC has a bunch of really scenic roads.

I'm currently in California discovering more new to me roads. Some pretty awesome roads and scenery so far.

On TDY near Mammoth Lakes CA.

Hey SteveJ you must be on the 395 back side of the Sierra. I call that the"Old Country" since I immigrated from there originally. If the passes are open, and you have time, go over Sonora Pass. It's super high, and the drop down to the West is just twisty heaven. The NorCal Mt. Lassen and Shasta area is quite breathtaking too...So much to see down there!

Salish14 said:
Hey SteveJ you must be on the 395 back side of the Sierra. I call that the"Old Country" since I immigrated from there originally. If the passes are open, and you have time, go over Sonora Pass. It's super high, and the drop down to the West is just twisty heaven. The NorCal Mt. Lassen and Shasta area is quite breathtaking too...So much to see down there!
Did the 108 and the 120 into Yosemite plus a bunch of other fun stuff. Today was Twin Lakes, Virginia Lakes and the 270 up to Bodie

Sorry about the thread jack

Salish14 said:
Just back and WOW! That was the about the most amazing trip on asphalt I've ever had. Transcendent really. Alone in my helmet, no bluetooth or music, endless twisties among grandiose scenery. Conscious but not embodied. Unreal yet fully manifest.

Went up into Canada through Ione and then across lower BC on Hwy 3. Up into the Canadian Rockies on Hwy 93 and Kootenay and down to Calgary to see those friends.

Nothing like that feeling in your helmet.  :) 

I just rode much of hwy 3 a couple weeks ago, amazing road.  Rode 93 also, pretty sure that's  where I had my roadside conversation with the RCMP.  :-[  97 down through Frazier Canyon was a amazing road also.

BC is very nice riding & scenery.

Cliff  :beerchug: