• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Noco Boost X jump pack

fastenova

Just wanted to share my experience with this product and see if anyone else uses one of these for bikes, or their 4-wheeled vehicles...

On a couple of occasions, I've forgotten to immediately turn the key off after killing the engine with the stop switch. I've gotten distracted by talking to somebody, or in one case helped a rider pick up their bike after a low-speed tipover. I have noticed that even with a brand new battery, the C14 drains the battery fairly quickly with the key on (3-5 minutes?) to the point of not being able to start the bike. One of the times, I was able to leave the bike off for 5-10 minutes and then it barely started. The other time, it was totally dead, so my riding friend pulls out his Noco jump pack, we pulled the battery door, slid the battery out, hooked it up, and the bike fired right up. I was impressed, a little embarrassed, and vowed to not be 'that guy' again.

So cut to a couple months later... I just ordered one (model GBX45) as well as a pigtail (GBC007) so I could permanently wire a plug to the battery, since it's somewhat hard to get to on our bikes and I'd prefer not to hassle with taking the bike apart at an inopportune time. I intentionally drained the battery by leaving the key on for several minutes, then starting the bike several times and immediately killing it after each start. I watched the voltage on the dash decrease each time until it got under 12V and displayed a 'low battery' message. I then tried to start the motorcycle again and was unsuccessful.

I plugged in the jump pack, powered it on, let it detect the battery and waited for the ready indicator to come on, then started the bike right up (cranking way faster than it normally would with a battery fresh off the trickle charger!). I did this another half dozen times off the jump pack, and afterwards it showed approx 50% charge. Afterwards since I wasn't going for a ride, I hooked up my battery tender to restore the battery's charge.

I'm VERY impressed with this little thing, and honestly it seems like a little bit of voodoo black magic that it can provide enough current to start the bike so many times. I can't yet speak to the longevity of it, but I am confident that should I screw up again, it'll make the situation a minor inconvenience instead of a huge hassle and possibly leaving me stranded.

Aaron

I bought a battery jumper pack ,not sure if it is a NOCO, bought it to put on the connie but it ended up in my fishing boat, first time out with the boat it saved the day😁

Just wanted to share my experience with this product and see if anyone else uses one of these for bikes, or their 4-wheeled vehicles...

On a couple of occasions, I've forgotten to immediately turn the key off after killing the engine with the stop switch. I've gotten distracted by talking to somebody, or in one case helped a rider pick up their bike after a low-speed tipover. I have noticed that even with a brand new battery, the C14 drains the battery fairly quickly with the key on (3-5 minutes?) to the point of not being able to start the bike. One of the times, I was able to leave the bike off for 5-10 minutes and then it barely started. The other time, it was totally dead, so my riding friend pulls out his Noco jump pack, we pulled the battery door, slid the battery out, hooked it up, and the bike fired right up. I was impressed, a little embarrassed, and vowed to not be 'that guy' again.

So cut to a couple months later... I just ordered one (model GBX45) as well as a pigtail (GBC007) so I could permanently wire a plug to the battery, since it's somewhat hard to get to on our bikes and I'd prefer not to hassle with taking the bike apart at an inopportune time. I intentionally drained the battery by leaving the key on for several minutes, then starting the bike several times and immediately killing it after each start. I watched the voltage on the dash decrease each time until it got under 12V and displayed a 'low battery' message. I then tried to start the motorcycle again and was unsuccessful.

I plugged in the jump pack, powered it on, let it detect the battery and waited for the ready indicator to come on, then started the bike right up (cranking way faster than it normally would with a battery fresh off the trickle charger!). I did this another half dozen times off the jump pack, and afterwards it showed approx 50% charge. Afterwards since I wasn't going for a ride, I hooked up my battery tender to restore the battery's charge.

I'm VERY impressed with this little thing, and honestly it seems like a little bit of voodoo black magic that it can provide enough current to start the bike so many times. I can't yet speak to the longevity of it, but I am confident that should I screw up again, it'll make the situation a minor inconvenience instead of a huge hassle and possibly leaving me stranded.

Aaron
I am not proud to admit I’ve killed drained my battery at the least 3 probably 4 times from leaving the lights / ignition on. L. Happened that all times Blue started after shutting everything off for about 10 minutes.

One time I was in middle NE rural nowhere Maine, never felt so good to hear Blue purr to life.

I have had this device or similar on my list for a while, think I should just do it. Thanks for sharing and reminding me. Also my battery is now 5 years old, been seriously drained a few times and also helps store power and run two full sets of heated gear, I’ve been lucky - so this could be insurance if the battery suddenly gives even if not from being abused but just normal age / use.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Just as a reminder to COG members that are not afraid of electrical work, there is an article in the COG Technical Pages & Resources written by Fred Harmon about installing a warning buzzer to alert you to leaving the ignition on. I sometimes walk away from the bike with my helmet and ear plugs on so I also wired in parallel to the warning buzzer a blinking red LED. Of course a battery jumper pack is good too. ;)

An occasional mouse stroll through the library is not a bad thing and access is included in your modest membership fee. It turns out that anyone can see this..not so sure I like that idea :unsure: :(, seems it should be COG only..but that's another can o worms best saved for Facebook. :LOL:

Article is titled:

KIPASS Warning Buzzer​

Last edited:
Currently have a couple of them. Noco makes several models not sure which one I have. It fits in the tail of the C-10 with the battery cables dropped on top of the rear fender. I have not needed for my bikes but have used it on others and a couple of cars. Noco has the best battery clamps I have seen. Heavy spring and good teeth on the clamp.

Just as a reminder to COG members that are not afraid of electrical work, there is an article in the COG Technical Pages & Resources written by Fred Harmon about installing a warning buzzer to alert you to leaving the ignition on. I sometimes walk away from the bike with my helmet and ear plugs on so I also wired in parallel to the warning buzzer a blinking red LED. Of course a battery jumper pack is good too. ;)

An occasional mouse stroll through the library is not a bad thing and access is included in your modest membership fee. It turns out that anyone can see this..not so sure I like that idea :unsure: :(, seems it should be COG only..but that's another can o worms best saved for Facebook. :LOL:

Article is titled:

KIPASS Warning Buzzer​

This is too simple, I mentioned to Carol I wanted to add some sort of an alarm and this is it. Need to find a Radio Shack though 🤔…. LOL

Related;
I have a plug on my battery for my Battery Tender.
Soooo, I carry a wire with a mating plug on one end and a Cigarette lighter plug on the other.
(Can also be built with Alligator clips on the other end)
NOTE: This set-up cannot be used to jump start the bike, but it can be used to charge your battery {from another vehicle} in an emergency.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Need to find a Radio Shack though 🤔…. LOL
Well, Amazon sells them....the trouble will be to find only one instead of 6 or 12 for the price I paid RadioShack for only one.

If I were to do it again, I think I'd go for a combo unit like this, the trouble would be to find something similar that's waterproof.
If someone finds a waterproof/water resistant one please post it here. 'til then probably best to put buzzer under seat and an LED on the dash somewhere.