• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NorthEast Ride to the National 2012 - Planning Thread

Outback_Jon

OK, figured that we should start our own thread, instead of adding to the National Rally Announcement thread.

So, in case the title isn't obvious enough, this is a thread to plan a ride from the Northeast Area to the 2012 National Rally in Eureka Springs, AR.

This first post will be edited to reflect current plans for the ride.  This will make it easier for anyone who joins in later.

Looks like Cap'n Bob, gMitch, and Outback_Jon thus far.

And four travel days, Thursday 7 June depart, Sunday 10 June arrive.  Right?

Four for the return?  Leaving Friday or Saturday?  My schedule is completely flexible.

Trying to keep the riding group(s) small, but as far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier.  I'd love to see this turn into a group ride of 15 to 20, leaving each morning as small groups (3 to 5 bikes) and ending up at one motel each night for dinner and BS (Beer & Stories, right?) sessions.  (Hey, I'm hoping!)

Planning on about 350 miles per day, mostly keeping off interstates. 

Although there is still nothing guaranteeing that I will be able to go yet. That sounds a lot like my plan. Four days each way. Leave Thursday, arrive at the national on Sunday. Leave Friday, arrive home on Monday. That leaves me one day in reserve, just in case. Although leaving Saturday to come back isn't a deal breaker either.
I also want to keep groups small. So the meet at the hotel is OK with me. I guess that's if you wind up with a big crowd. But to be honest, I don't know how many folks would have this same time table, from the same general direction. So it could still be a small group the shows interest. I just would prefer not to wind up with a group of 10 bikes or more in a parade. So small groups is more along my thinking as well. 

Nobody has gotten that far yet. Maybe it could be posted where the group are staying to allow folks who want to meet along the way, meet up with others.

Cap'n Bob said:
I also want to keep groups small. So the meet at the hotel is OK with me. I guess that's if you wind up with a big crowd. But to be honest, I don't know how many folks would have this same time table, from the same general direction. So it could still be a small group the shows interest. I just would prefer not to wind up with a group of 10 bikes or more in a parade. So small groups is more along my thinking as well.

That's exactly my idea.  I don't expect to have a huge group, but if that happened, I wanted everyone to know the plan.  Like Tim suggested, though, it wouldn't surprise me if we get bigger along the way.  That would be really cool.  Although a parade in (just the last few miles) on Sunday evening would be REALLY COOL if we wind up with a decent size group.

Outback Jon said:
Cap'n Bob said:

That's exactly my idea.  I don't expect to have a huge group, but if that happened, I wanted everyone to know the plan.  Like Tim suggested, though, it wouldn't surprise me if we get bigger along the way.  That would be really cool.  Although a parade in (just the last few miles) on Sunday evening would be REALLY COOL if we wind up with a decent size group.

OK, I could probably deal with that. Meet at the gate and ride in!  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
OK, I could probably deal with that. Meet at the gate and ride in!  :))
At least through town and to the hotel.  Gotta let the townsfolk know we're there.

{SouthPark}
FAGS!
{/SouthPark}  :nananana:

I am going to the National, and live in western Maryland. Plan on leaving Friday 8 June and arrive Eureka Springs Sunday 10 June, and head back home on the 16th.

But since all planning seems to be simply one small group, I'm planning on solo riding it.

Cut my riding down to 6 hours a day (no use flogging the old man) and will stay at the Comfort Inn outside Charleston WV the 8th, then the Super 8 at Mayfield KY on the 9th, and get to Eureka Springs late afternoon the 10th. Coming home is simply the reverse except the Mayfield KY Super-8 is all booked up on the 16th, so coming home I'm staying at the Hampton Inn in Murray KY. Only about 40 miles out of my way compared to the outbound route.

I made this change not just to make it an easier ride, but because I just don't feel like flogging the bike down super slab just to make time. So I junked my old route and created a new one which is about 3 hours longer but goes through some beautiful scenary and takes the old ex-toll roads in Kentucky all the way to Arkansas line almost.

Should be a much more enjoyable ride, more interesting, less likely to drone myself into a trance, and 6 hours a day I can do for a lot more than 3 days in a row.

EDIT: Have confirmed reservations end-to-end, coming and going. Route done, but I will probably add in gas and food stop waypoints because I am OCD... or at best, just like to have everything covered.

Here is the route .... ftp.pball.com/Home-EurekaSprings.gdb

We're leaving on the 8th and plan on getting to the campground on the 9th. We're trailering the bikes. Don't know what route you guys are planning on taking but we'll have our eyes open for riders and the Class C will be stocked with supplies!

Assuming I can go to the rally I'm thinking of a route along these lines through the mountains of West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee.

But I will probably try to do it in less than four days each way. :D Yeah right! 

Undoubtedly I would have to replace some portions of the route with Interstate to avoid this being an Iron Butt ride.  :-[

COG-528 said:
Undoubtedly I would have to replace some portions of the route with Interstate to avoid this being an Iron Butt ride.  :-[
Well, that's the genius beauty of our plan thus far.  I think the only truly hard and fast "planned" part will be the motels each night.  Since the actual riding groups are being kept small, the daily routes will be flexible.  If you just want to drone out the miles on the interstate one day, go ahead.  (But if you do, and are first to the motel, you're responsible for the first round!  :beerchug: )  :nananana:

That's not to say I won't have my expected route mapped out and available here.  Mike's route looks kind of like what I've been thinking of. 

Thanks for posting that route Mike. Blaise wanted to go est on I90 out of Albany and through Ohio. I prefer your route and figure we will go down I88 and hit I81 toward Harrisburg and continue on. I prefer to stay off interstates if we can.

Ok....Registration is open. Signed up and ready to go.  Just need to improve on  the current 0 F temperature.  8)

Privateer said:
I am going to the National, and live in western Maryland. Plan on leaving Friday 8 June and arrive Eureka Springs Sunday 10 June, and head back home on the 16th.

But since all planning seems to be simply one small group, I'm planning on solo riding it.

Cut my riding down to 6 hours a day (no use flogging the old man) and will stay at the Comfort Inn outside Charleston WV the 8th, then the Super 8 at Mayfield KY on the 9th, and get to Eureka Springs late afternoon the 10th. Coming home is simply the reverse except the Mayfield KY Super-8 is all booked up on the 16th, so coming home I'm staying at the Hampton Inn in Murray KY. Only about 40 miles out of my way compared to the outbound route.

I made this change not just to make it an easier ride, but because I just don't feel like flogging the bike down super slab just to make time. So I junked my old route and created a new one which is about 3 hours longer but goes through some beautiful scenary and takes the old ex-toll roads in Kentucky all the way to Arkansas line almost.

Should be a much more enjoyable ride, more interesting, less likely to drone myself into a trance, and 6 hours a day I can do for a lot more than 3 days in a row.

EDIT: Have confirmed reservations end-to-end, coming and going. Route done, but I will probably add in gas and food stop waypoints because I am OCD... or at best, just like to have everything covered.

Here is the route .... ftp.pball.com/Home-EurekaSprings.gdb

Hey, John:

Nothing wrong with being organized, my man. You done done your homework.

See you in RI .. and then in Eureka Springs:)

Cheers,

Simon

OK, it's official. I won't be going to the national this June as planned. I'm bummed. But what can you do. So I obviously won't be riding down in June. :(

Is ok Bob, I am not going to Rhode Island. We are entitled to adjust our calendars as we see fit.    :beerchug:

Outback Jon said:
Trying to keep the riding group(s) small, but as far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier.  I'd love to see this turn into a group ride of 15 to 20, leaving each morning as small groups (3 to 5 bikes) and ending up at one motel each night for dinner and BS (Beer & Stories, right?) sessions.  (Hey, I'm hoping!)

Count me in...
I was planning on leaving Thursday as well... but will have to split from you guys on Saturday and head to Memphis to pickup my wife.

I'm resigned to riding it by myself, which is ok, that way I can go at my own leisurely pace.  :beerchug:

Privateer, i will ride back with you, i am located in DC. my plan is to leave thursday to ride the BRP then come in to the ralley through KY and TN.
Wy

wyland said:
Privateer, i will ride back with you, i am located in DC. my plan is to leave thursday to ride the BRP then come in to the ralley through KY and TN.
Wy
:confuse:  Ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway, which I can never get enough of  :-*,
                                      or
:motonoises: ride out to Cumberland, MD and through West Virginia to get to the mountains in  Kentucky. 

Planning a route for a ride when I don't even know if I'm going to go yet is hard.  :truce: 
So many good roads and so little time to get back and visit these areas again.  ???

It is enough to make a guy decide to just go riding around Virginia, West Virginia and Kentucky for a week and skip the rally.  :-\

COG-528 said:
Planning a route for a ride when I don't even know if I'm going to go yet is hard.
I seem to remember hearing a bunch of encouragement from your significant other for your attendance at the National.  Sounded like she wanted to get rid of you for a couple of weeks.  :rotflmao:

COG-528 said:
:confuse:  Ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway, which I can never get enough of  :-*,
                                      or
:motonoises: ride out to Cumberland, MD and through West Virginia to get to the mountains in  Kentucky. 

Planning a route for a ride when I don't even know if I'm going to go yet is hard.  :truce: 
So many good roads and so little time to get back and visit these areas again.  ???

It is enough to make a guy decide to just go riding around Virginia, West Virginia and Kentucky for a week and skip the rally.  :-\

I like the BRP and have been on it many times. I don't like the 45 mph speed limit on it, but then there are a couple decreasing radius turns that start out as sweepers and end up as OMG MY BRAKES ARE GLOWING RED AND SHOOTING SPARKS.

Last time I was on it there was so much fog I had to pull off at an overlook and wait it out. The 3rd day of my National Road and WV Mountains ride in July comes down on VA 211 and then loops around south to pick BRP up headed north. Hopefully we will get a clear day to enjoy the ride.

I'm heading out 68 from Hagerstown (well, old 40 until I get to it -- a whole 15 minutes) until I get into WV and take 79 south, picking up 64 west into Kentucky, where I'll pick up those old parkway toll roads all the way to the border of Arkansas almost.

Sort of slabbing it, but at least 79 has a couple curves.  :motonoises:

On the way out, staying the first night in Cross Lanes (Charleston) WV, and the second night in the SW corner of Kentucky.  Vice-versa on the way back. Taking my time.

Outback Jon said:
COG-528 said:
Planning a route for a ride when I don't even know if I'm going to go yet is hard.
I seem to remember hearing a bunch of encouragement from your significant other for your attendance at the National.  Sounded like she wanted to get rid of you for a couple of weeks.  :rotflmao:
I suspect she is conspiring to move all my stuff out and change the locks if she can ever get me out of the apartment for a week or more.  But I may be paranoid. :eek: 
Of course just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean she is NOT out to get me.  :-\

:))

Well, I've been doing some more route planning and keeping in mind I'm more interested in the ride to Eureka Springs then spending time in Eureka Springs I came up with the following five day backroad ride to Eureka Springs.

Note: This is an interactive map.  You can zoom in/out as well as move around on it using the controls in the upper left corner.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=100+Rock+Road,+Hawthorne,+NJ&daddr=11321+Massey+Boulevard,+Hagerstown,+MD+21740+(Motel+6+Hagerstown)+to:parsons,+WV+to:Knights+Inn+Charleston+East++6401+MacCorkle+Ave+SE,+Charleston,+WV+to:Coal+Run+Village,+KY+to:Little+Shepherd+Trail+to:pineville,+KY+to:State+Hwy+1783%2FState+Hwy+770+to:Mount+Victory,+KY+to:Waverly,+TN+to:15470+Hwy+13+S,+Hurricane+Mills,+TN+37078+(Knights+Inn+Hurricane+Mills)+to:Bakerville,+TN+to:Best+Western+of+the+Ozarks,+Eureka+Springs,+AR+to:The+Joy+Motel+Hotel,+West+Van+Buren,+Eureka+Springs,+AR&hl=en&ll=38.030786,-83.891602&spn=19.17115,28.256836&sll=36.976775,-84.113839&sspn=0.004757,0.006899&geocode=Fe8ccQIdy5OU-ynnY2Y_yPzCiTFxHJqh7HDDww%3BFYWmXAId1mJd-yHpVR_p1Q2yLQ%3BFa-QVAIdgCpA-yn5SLpNPMFKiDHCYEqz_T0pJg%3BFcyDSAIdn3Ej-yGe6McMNhWBTA%3BFcNnPAId6kEU-ylnWXqa0WxFiDGk_KOiL-AwMQ%3BFftqMwIdAQkK-w%3BFa7xMAIduuoC-ykLs0bpwphciDHYeH1gwfddTw%3BFe46NAId24X8-g%3BFcwONQIdP134-ikVuhVFAy9diDED8DzNbbetdw%3BFe2YJgIdxVvE-in1q3yaEUN7iDEO7UmXg2sJMg%3BFa2HIwIdpEzE-iGWBibS9YqQqSlRV990l6B8iDGecytShDSWtQ%3BFVJvJAIdnSDD-iklOPAk9WB7iDHWV63qpFoD7A%3BFU9nKwIdy4dp-iEBkgkLt1NiHilDtX-JNS3JhzFQVOvYDhRj7Q%3BFbVpKwIdbodp-iFC07Q-4vdCCynhi970NS3JhzGyq_NpAlHR6w&oq=Motel+6+Hagerstown,+MD,+21740+&t=m&dirflg=ht&mra=dme&mrsp=7&sz=17&z=5

• (B)Thu Night (6/7) at Motel 6, Hagerstown, MD
    [*][size=12pt](D)Fri Night (6/8) at Knights Inn, Charleston, W, VA - 7 1/2 hours of riding

[*](H)Sat Night (6/9) at Knights Inn or Fairfield Inn, Corbin, KY - 7 hours of riding
    [*](K)Sun Night (6/10) at Knights Inn, Hurricane Mills, TN - 7 hours of riding
    [*](M)Mon Night (6/11) at Eureka Springs, AR - 10 hours of riding

I haven't figured out how many days I want to take getting home but I'm sure I'll plan it out for less than five  Most likely I'd want to leave on Thursday or Friday morning and be home Sunday or Monday night.  I'm pretty sure that will require some time on the Interstate.

Here is an idea I have for the trip home to New Jersey that will allow me to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway from near Boone, NC to the Northern Terminus by Waynesboro, VA.  It is four days with only one day off the Interstate.  But that day is 10 hours on the Blue Ridge Parkway according to Google Maps.  That seems like a fair trade off to me. :D

• Fri Night (6/15) at Knights Inn, Hurricane Mills, TN - 7 1/2 hours of Interstate riding
    [*][size=12pt]Sat Night (6/16) at Motel 6, Johnson city, TN - 6 hours of Interstate riding

[*]Sun Night (6/17) at Super 8, Waynesboro, VA - 10 1/2 hours of riding (10 on the Blue Ridge Parkway)
    [*]Mon Night (6/18) at Hawthorne, NJ - 7 hours of Interstate riding

I would be really screwed if the Google Maps time estimates are low. :-[

COG-528 said:

I think google map time is based on 55mph on the interstate, so your time could be way off from actual travel time.

In my experience, Google Earth's travel times are SCARY accurate - particularly in a metro area where it accounts for traffic speeds along the entire route.  If you plot it at noon, it'll give you a different travel time than if you plot it at 5pm.

Google mapping has to be scary accurate, Google plans to have their driverless cars use Google mapping combined with GPS to navigate the cars. Traffic is a big part of the picture, of course.

Bigben said:
COG-528 said:

I think google map time is based on 55mph on the interstate, so your time could be way off from actual travel time.
I took a look at the Blue Ridge Parkway segment of my return route and based on the mileage given for each segment and the estimated time to cover the segment, Google Maps is figuring 35 MPH.  Normally I ride at a faster pace on the Blue Ridge Parkway but that might be a good average once you take in time to stop and eat or buy fuel.  I don't have to be back at work until Wednesday so if I give up Tuesday as a rest day I could eliminate some of the Interstate on my return route.

:)

^-^

Well, I've revised my ride to Eureka Springs so that I'll stay the first night in Cumberland, MD.  This allows me to spend more time in West Virginia so I can visit (D) Hawks Nest State Park, Amsted, WV and ride the Fayette Station Road below the New River Gorge Bridge.  It still will be a five day backroad ride to Eureka Springs.  It seems to me that people who are planning on getting to Eureka Springs in four days or less are going to miss out on some great riding on the way there.

Note: This is an interactive map.  You can zoom in/out as well as move around on it using the controls in the upper left corner.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=1...Suites)&dirflg=ht&mra=ls&via=3,5&t=m&z=5[/url

• (B) Thu Night (6/7) at Fairfield Inn & Suites, Cumberland, MD
    [*][size=12pt](E) Fri Night (6/8) at Knights Inn, Charleston, W, VA - 8  hours of riding

[*](I) Sat Night (6/9) at Knights Inn or Fairfield Inn, Corbin, KY - 7 hours of riding
    [*](L) Sun Night (6/10) at Knights Inn, Hurricane Mills, TN - 7 hours of riding
    [*](N) Mon Night (6/11) at Eureka Springs, AR - 10 hours of riding

I suspect I might also alter the route on the fifth day to use some Interstate so I can shorten my ride time to Eureka Springs to 7 1/2 hours from Hurricane Mills, TN.  If anyone wants to join me I can promise that this is going to be a wicked good sports tour!

:72:

Bring a good rainsuit.... according to Accuweather (uncannily accurate) it will rain every single day, all day long, in Eureka Springs, Arkansas from June 11 through June 15.

JR said:
Bring a good rainsuit.... according to Accuweather (uncannily accurate) it will rain every single day, all day long, in Eureka Springs, Arkansas from June 11 through June 15.
What, no Tornadoes?  :-\

If you look at the June Monthly Forecast for Eureka Springs instead of the Extended Forecast, they only show rain on Monday.  They have Tuesday thru Thursday as Mostly Sunny with temps increasing each day towards 88 degrees on Friday when it will be Cloudy.  So which (uncannily accurate) forecast from Accuweather do you want to believe?  Sounds like 50/50 weather forecasting to  me.  :nananana:

I am looking at the month of June there, and it does show rain every day of Rally week.

Accuweather is extremely accurate at least for western Maryland. I worked outdoors 10 hours a day 361 days a year for 8 years, in all kinds of weather, and I dressed each day based on what Accuweather and Weather.com said. If they weren't accurate for my geographic location, I would have been frozen to death. Heh.

accuweather.jpg

I think you must have read it wrong...

I am planning on slabbing it out then taking some time on the way home to meander and enjoy (I wish I could take 4 days out and 4 back, but I just don't have that much time off from work :( )  I really do want to hit deals gap if for no other reason then to get an update pic from Killboy

Looking forward to seeing everyone there! :)

Visiting Deals Gap on the way home means you will probably have to spend a fair amount of time on the Interstate to get home in just 4 days. 

I'd like to plan a route that allows me to ride the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway home but I know that will mean I need to ride a lot of Interstate before and after the BRP to get home in even 5 days. 

Of course an easy solution to this is just to leave the rally a day early so there is more time for the ride home.

I just got a scare on one of the hotels on my route there and back. I was going to stay at the Comfort Inn on the 8th and 17th but Hotels.com called and said the health department closed them down. Hmmm good thing it got closed down, me thinks.

So I got deluxe rooms comped at the Mardi Gras Resort a mile away both nights, with the deluxe breakfast deal and all. Free. Well, for the price I paid for the flea bag.

So got a wrench thrown into the works, but the works spit it back out, so its all good.

Mike,
I don't mind burning a lot of slab there and back, I figure I will ride the twisties while I am there.  Trying to fit in all the places I want to see.

It's still tentative, but I am thinking of leaving Friday morning, and slabbing to Maggie Valley NC, stopping for the night then Sat hitting deals gap, then riding to Nashville to hit up Princes Hot Fried Chicken Shack, then stopping somewhere midway between NAshville and Eureka Springs...  Arriving sunday night to the national then riding all week and doing a SS1k on the way home

Mad River Marc said:
Mike,
I don't mind burning a lot of slab there and back, I figure I will ride the twisties while I am there.  Trying to fit in all the places I want to see.

It's still tentative, but I am thinking of leaving Friday morning, and slabbing to Maggie Valley NC, stopping for the night then Sat hitting deals gap, then riding to Nashville to hit up Princes Hot Fried Chicken Shack, then stopping somewhere midway between NAshville and Eureka Springs...  Arriving sunday night to the national then riding all week and doing a SS1k on the way home

Oh, so you have changed your plans from a quick ride out and a meandering ride home to a semi meandering ride to the rally and then a super quick ride home.    :-\

I'm locked in for the ride out with the only changes since I last posted the route being different motels in Cumberland and Charleston.  I don't know what I'm going to do for the ride home.  I guess I'll wait and see what Outback Jon feels like doing and then decide if I'm tagging along or going my own way.

My plans are still not etched in stone, I am trying to figure out the stuff I want to do..

and honestly, I don't mind burning slab.  I'd rather be slabbing on a motorcycle then riding in a cage anyday :)

Mad River Marc said:
My plans are still not etched in stone, I am trying to figure out the stuff I want to do..

and honestly, I don't mind burning slab.  I'd rather be slabbing on a motorcycle then riding in a cage anyday :)

I'm with you, and to keep my travel time down (since I don't want to do 10+ hour days) I need to slab. But most of my slab is mountain state slab, so its not totally straight and boring like US 70 or US 81. Heh.

I'll just set the cruise control and put her in Eco mode and watch the miles fall away.

Unlike most of you I'm less interested in spending time at the rally than I am in riding through West Virginia and Kentucky.  If I hadn't been able to get the extra time off . . . it is good when the person who has to approve your vacation request has just resigned from the company so he doesn't care what he approves :D . . .  I might have skipped going to the rally all together and just done a sports tour of the Appalachians. 

It has been a l-o-o-n-n-g time since I've had a chance to just do a sports tour where the goal was just to get out, enjoy the roads and countryside.  I miss that freedom from locations and schedules.  Of course in the old days I used to camp so I never had to worry about reservations or committing to a particular place to spend the night.  May be I should pack my camping gear and cancel my motel reservations.  Nah!!!  I'm too old to be sleeping on the hard ground.  I'd have to go buy an air mattress if I was to go camp now.  :(

COG-528 said:
Unlike most of you I'm less interested in spending time at the rally than I am in riding through West Virginia and Kentucky.  If I hadn't been able to get the extra time off . . . it is good when the person who has to approve your vacation request has just resigned from the company so he doesn't care what he approves :D . . .  I might have skipped going to the rally all together and just done a sports tour of the Appalachians. 

It has been a l-o-o-n-n-g time since I've had a chance to just do a sports tour where the goal was just to get out, enjoy the roads and countryside.  I miss that freedom from locations and schedules.  Of course in the old days I used to camp so I never had to worry about reservations or committing to a particular place to spend the night.  May be I should pack my camping gear and cancel my motel reservations.  Nah!!!  I'm too old to be sleeping on the hard ground.  I'd have to go buy an air mattress if I was to go camp now.  :(

I'm with you on the too old to be laying on hard ground. I have a virtually new (box never opened) tent and inflatable sleeping bag cushion thing, and I've never used it. Not long after I purchased them, a couple of joints decided to suddenly degenerate more, and now kneeling requires an act of Congress.

But I'm not going to miss out on the social aspects of the National just to ride twisty roads. I have many trips that do just that, so having to slab a lot of the way to the National doesn't detract from my twisty riding this summer one bit.

After all the route planning and motel reservations I've done for my five day ride to Eureka Springs, it now looks like I may be riding in the rain on the back roads through West Virginia & Kentucky. :mad:

If the weather is going to be lousy I'd much rather just slab it.  May be I should start planning an alternate, quicker route :truce: just in case of bad weather.

Yeah the weather is not looking good, 

My plans (as I have said before) are still fluid...  I do know that I want to go through Deals gap at some point along the way and then head West...  And Nashville is a must stop (Princes Hot Fried Chicken is calling my name LOL)

After that just kind of meander my way to Eureka springs :)

I plan to enjoy the hell out of WV for the Dog Days rally :)

Unfortunately, I suspect that I'm going to end up missing Dog Days
There is a
medium.png
vs
medium.png
preseason game on Friday, August 10th, that I may have to work because I will need the money. :38:  So I need to get as much of this season's mountain riding in on this trip.

It is sad how all the people who were originally involved with this thread at the beginning are ending up not going to the rally.  :sorry:  And those of us left who are going are all doing solo trips. 

I promise to ride  :motonoises: a mountain mile for each one of you guys who has to miss this trip.  Hopefully that mile will not turn out to be a dirt road. :-\  Some of the back roads I'm taking through Kentucky could surprise me.  There is no way to tell from Google Maps or Mapsource if the roads will be paved or dirt. ::)

COG-528 said:
It is sad how all the people who were originally involved with this thread at the beginning are ending up not going to the rally.  :sorry:  And those of us left who are going are all doing solo trips. 

I promise to ride  :motonoises: a mountain mile for each one of you guys who has to miss this trip.  Hopefully that mile will not turn out to be a dirt road. :-\  Some of the back roads I'm taking through Kentucky could surprise me.  There is no way to tell from Google Maps or Mapsource if the roads will be paved or dirt. ::)
Hey, I like finding dirt/gravel roads with my Connie.  So try to find a (short) one for me!  :nananana:

COG-528 said:

Heck, I just updated my Garmin maps yesterday, the previous version (which all the routes in Combine.gdb are based on) shows most of Push Mountain Road as "unimproved" (dirt or gravel). I'm wondering if the new version is corrected. I always submit map error reports, and Garmin seems to actually fix them. After I updates the map on my 665, I loaded Combined onto it fresh, and it didn't ask to recalculate, so maybe Push is fixed now. Heh.

I know I am riding solo all the way from Western Maryland to Mayfield KY, where I'll hook up with Chris and we'll ride the final day together. Then I'm solo all the way home and likely to stay that way because I have prepaid motel rooms (since about 5 months ago) coming and going, so a route set in stone.

COG-528 said:
It is sad how all the people who were originally involved with this thread at the beginning are ending up not going to the rally.  :sorry:

Hey. I was one of the "originals" and am still going.  See you in the Ozarks  :)

We should have a Northeast Area Meet & Greet at the rally.  It would be a shame to have a bunch of people from the Northeast going to the rally and they never actually meet each other.  I may be wrong, what else is new :-[, but I get the impression that the Joy Motel where I'm staying is going to be full of people from the Southeast Area.  I've already been told if I'm the only Yankee than I'm expected to buy all the beer. :beerchug:

JR said:
Heck, I just updated my Garmin maps yesterday, the previous version (which all the routes in Combine.gdb are based on) shows most of Push Mountain Road as "unimproved" (dirt or gravel). I'm wondering if the new version is corrected. I always submit map error reports, and Garmin seems to actually fix them. After I updates the map on my 665, I loaded Combined onto it fresh, and it didn't ask to recalculate, so maybe Push is fixed now. Heh.
Google Maps street view show Push Mountain Road as paved.  Unfortunately Street View is not available for a lot of the roads I'm planning on taking in Kentucky.  I was lucky enough to get a picture for the beginning of a couple of roads I was thinking about and found they were dirt so I changed my route.  I've ridden dirt/gravel roads across the Rockies when time was not an issue.  But dirt is no fun if you are trying to make time or it rains.

COG-528 said:
JR said:
Google Maps street view show Push Mountain Road as paved.  Unfortunately Street View is not available for a lot of the roads I'm planning on taking in Kentucky.  I was lucky enough to get a picture for the beginning of a couple of roads I was thinking about and found they were dirt so I changed my route.  I've ridden dirt/gravel roads across the Rockies when time was not an issue.  But dirt is no fun if you are trying to make time or it rains.

The latest Garmin map (like days old) shows more of Push Mountain Road as paved, but not all. Time for another bug report, since the latest map is very recent.

One and a wake up till I'm on the road :motonoises: to Cumberland, MD and another Smoke Chasing photo at
2138888460102652906S600x600Q85.jpg
[size=12pt]
I sure hope their sign says something about BBQ . . .then on to Charleston, WV . . . Corbin, KY . . . Jackson, TN . . . The Joy Motel in Eureka Springs. 
See y'all there Monday evening.
motorcyclesmilie.gif

Mad River Marc said:
My plans (as I have said before) are still fluid...  I do know that I want to go through Deals gap at some point along the way and then head West...  And Nashville is a must stop (Princes Hot Fried Chicken is calling my name LOL)

I've been looking over my Smoke Chasing Grand Tour list of favorites and I see
photo_pigsfly.jpg
on Broadway in Nashville.  So I guess I may have to plan a detour into Nashville on Sunday.  Considering that Google Maps Street View shows a "Rippy's Ribs & Bar-B-Q" sign right across the street, I can get two Smoke Chasing photos with just one stop.
:13:

It is storming here in Hagerstown MD, but the latest weather.com forecast is all sun no rain until I get to Eureka Springs.

Wanted to break in and wish ya'll a "great ride".
We're leaving tomorrow morning... (Houston)

See ya there.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: It's raining here now.

Well my ride to the National and back ended up being 3,646 miles :motonoises: with only three near death experiences  :-\ (during a five minute period) in Missouri and one road tax assessment :-[ on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park.  All in all it was a good sports tour but I wish I had spent more time in Kentucky and West Virginia and skipped Arkansas, Missouri, West Tennessee and Skyline Drive. 

Here is a link to my No Bad Roads Sports Tour photos.

COG-528 said:
Well my ride to the National and back ended up being 3,646 miles :motonoises: with only three near death experiences  :-\ (during a five minute period) in Missouri and one road tax assessment :-[ on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park.  All in all it was a good sports tour but I wish I had spent more time in Kentucky and West Virginia and skipped Arkansas, Missouri, West Tennessee and Skyline Drive.

Dog days is in August.  :)

Cap'n Bob said:
COG-528 said:

Dog days is in August.  :)

I owe Vicki a non-motorcycle vacation :truce: so I may not have the vacation time to do Dog Days in August.  Until I work out the vacation with Vicki planning any other trips is on hold.  I've also got my first pre-season Jets game that Friday but I think I can happily afford to skip working it if the time is available to do Dog Days.

Outback Jon said:
COG-528 said:
one road tax assessment :-[ on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park.
It's a "performance award"!

52 in a 35 MPH zone doesn't show much in the way of performance. :-[ 

I still feel it was a road tax assessment since I had to listen to the ranger give me a lecture on how unsafe it was to go that fast in the park due to the wildlife and that was why he was giving me the ticket.  I had told him right up front the reason I was going that fast was I was concerned that I would not make it out of the park before dark cause then I would not be able to see the wildlife.  I'm more nervous about riding at night in deer heavy areas than I used to be before hitting that deer three years ago since I haven't added driving lights yet to this C-10.  I had had a very tough time getting off the BRP after dark the night before due to deer. 

I'm sure he was just trying to make his revenue generation quota.  If it was really all about safety he would have given me a warning with the lecture since my reason for going quickly was to avoid an unsafe situation, riding in the dark when it was more likely I would hit a deer.

:mad:

COG-528 said:
I'm sure he was just trying to make his revenue generation quota.  If it was really all about safety he would have given me a warning with the lecture since my reason for going quickly was to avoid an unsafe situation, riding in the dark when it was more likely I would hit a deer.[/font][/size]

Yeah, I'm sure that 17 MPH over the speed limit and a possibly two minutes speaking with you Mike, had nothing to do with it!  :rotflmao:

Cap'n Bob said:
COG-528 said:
I'm sure he was just trying to make his revenue generation quota.  If it was really all about safety he would have given me a warning with the lecture since my reason for going quickly was to avoid an unsafe situation, riding in the dark when it was more likely I would hit a deer.

Yeah, I'm sure that 17 MPH over the speed limit and a possibly two minutes speaking with you Mike, had nothing to do with it!  :rotflmao:

I don't mind getting the ticket . . .  to much :angry: . . . .do the crime, you have got to pay the time.  It was the young C:) twerp's insistence on giving me a safety lecture :ecomcity: and using that as his hypocritical reason for giving me the ticket.  The ticket was about revenue generation and for him to have said anything else I call . . .

bsflag.gif
canstock2317446.jpg

Blah blah blah.  :rotflmao:

The ticket is about whatever was cited on the ticket. The revenue is meant to be a deterent. Don't you feel better about getting it now?  :nananana:

Well thank you JR.  After you explain it like that I feel much better about my encounter with that revenue agent.  :)