• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Now I'm an NT dropper...

ptarman1

My CDA # is 16:a-n. But in 2010, I bought a Honda NT700VA (known as a Deauville in Europe). It was the 73rd 2010 model, built in September of 2009. I bought in March, after deciding that after five knee replacements and pushing being 70-yrs old, TumbleToo, my 2nd '99 C10, was just too heavy. I'd seen and sat on a '08 Deauville in Mannheim while I was "Over the Pond" in '08. When Honda announced they were bringing the bike to the US, I decided to buy one. Not long after I got it, I did the first-ever Iron Butt Association certificate ride ever done in the whole Western Hemisphere. I rode that bike 139,000 miles before trading it for a bike that had SN-67, but only 22,000 miles. Plus it was farkled almost exactly like NT#1. I bought it in the summer of '19 and have finally finished with getting it exactly like I want it. I've added a Russell Sport Seat, Clearwater Darla LED driving lights, and an McCruise electronic cruise. The bike had a vacuum-actuated McCruise when I bought it, and that didn't work well at high altitudes or with headwinds. The electronic cruise works very well -- almost as well as the cruise control in my Accord.

I have no idea how many times I've dropped my NTs. After my sixth knee replacement in '16, it took a while to get some of my strength back. If the bike leans too far, I can't hold it. The last two times I rode it, before today, I dropped it. I was turning left at an intersection with a stop light, thought I could make it through, and the oncoming vehicle sped up. I stopped and dropped it on the right side. Yesterday I picked up the bike from the shop after having the new cruise control and having another electrical issue straightened out. I stopped at a light and when it changed, as I accelerated, the engine stalled and I dropped the bike on the left side. All the way home, about 3 miles, the engine coughed and stuttered and nearly died several times. By the time I was home I realized that I hadn't filled the tank and with all the changes in temperature since September I probably had water in the gas. I added some Startron and then filled up this morning before a friend and I took a 150 mile ride. As I pulled away from the pump, the engine coughed and died again. I nearly it again. If the bike had weighed even a couple pounds more it would have gone down. Lucikily, neither drop damaged the bike and it ran fine all day.

If I would claim a HDA, it might be #1:a-j (or higher 🤪