• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

oil filter compatability

mellow yellow

Street Cruiser
Hello all, a neighbor of mines just purchased a 1985 vn700 vulcan cheap. unfortunately he's not financially well off so I figured I'd help him out by buying some of the things he needs to pass inspection and ride it. are car and bike filters compatable? and if so, does anyone know the correct size? he also needs turn signals front and rear. so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate the help. thanks

If it is a cartridge filter, many bikes use the same cartridge filter, but you do need to get the right one. If it is a spin on, some cars and bikes use the same filter, you don't need an M/C specific filter. Either one, you can save a bit of money by going to an auto-parts store. I buy both cartridge and spin-on filters at NAPA.

For the turn signals, I'd scout a forum dedicated to the bike, or E-Bay. Failing either, I used some chrome lights from JCWitney years ago that were sold as marker lights, due to not being DOT approved, I had that bike for many years and never had a problem with them, or getting a sticker. So you might just scout around JC or your local parts store. I guess, that would also depend on your fabrication skills. I made new stalks for mine out of chromed rod, by drilling through it, tapping the ends, and drilling through the bolts. It looked production if you didn't know what turn signals on a '72 Tiger were supposed to look like.

Notice, in order to avoid another filter war thread, I have carefully refrained from mentioning that Fram filters are garbage? That took a lot of self restraint, I hope everyone appreciates it!

If the TSs do not have to be stock, Cycle Gear has some cheapies for something like $15 a pr. They work fine on my KLR, the definition of cheap. You may have to change out the stock TS flasher, usually any two prong cheap(there's that KLR word again) TS flasher, about $3, will work.

what chuck said and most bikes are in their systems so they can look it up for you.  or use wal marts little computer looker-upper in the oil section or one of the filter reference books.  suzuki is the only bike that im aware of that has weird threads on their filters which limits the selection.  most kaws will take car filters...all of mine are from honda civics.

Wal*Mart  Super-tech filter #7317 fits the VN 750 and many other Kawasakis, Hondas, and Yamahas. costs under 3 dollars. heres a link to a good cross-refrence chart:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html