• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Old or New KLR

MizzouMike

Rain Magnet
So Here is a question...  I am really wanting a KLR, for a lot of the same reasons I wanted a Connie (best bang for the buck) and I want to ride some of the extensive miles of dirt/gravel we have here in Kansas.  Has anyone had both (pre and post 2008) KLRs, and what do you think?  The motorcyle mags really like the upgrades, but as you can probabally tell from my signature, I am somewhat drawn to the older technology.

Any thoughts?

By the way there is an '05 and an '08 close to my house with roughly the same miles.  I am just trying to figure out if is worth another $1k for the newer model?

The newer generation is the best motorcycle and you can actually use the stock seat and the brakes are major not to mention lighting.  The bike gained about 52 lbs. but, it wasn't previously and isn't now, a dirt bike by any stretch... fire roads at best and only the best of those at any speed... unless you're eighteen and just can't care.  No air.

Not a short man's motorcycle.  He won't like it.

These are great bikes that refuse to be made into something they're not... a Corvair, not a Porsche.  Definitely not a KTM.  It's half the money, half the performance and three times more dependable.  When you're done with it just raise your hand and it will be gone.  I always wanted to get my hands on the diesel version made in Hesperia for the army... then it would be beyond gutless.

Don't mess with the air box or the silencer.  If you want a lightweight, look elsewhere.  Think aggressive road tires that see grass 2-5% of the time.
Avons.  It's a crank balanced thumper with a pleseant beat and you'll change the sprockets if not already done, so take the done one.  Cruise the continents at 65-75.  I've seen 90mph.  Stabile.  Geometry works better than any Harley.

Holds a week of fuel.  Ugly until you ride it forever and then it's still not good looking.  Many hide their KLR in a pile of luggage.

Shorten the side stand.  Love it for what it is.  Pretend it's something else.  Keep it in the family.  Make tall children.

I have been using searchtempest to monitor craigslist for a month or so looking at KLR's, low miles.  But domo, that is poetic.  I might change my search parameters for a high mileage 1990's, well ridden and faded red bodywork and hang it on my living room wall with all the earned road grime intact.  Great tips, I was also debating between old and new models. Now I have to figure out if I want to ride it or ponder it as art.

Well said Domo you brought back my want for the KLR.  Had a KLR once and regret selling it all of the time. :mad:  Sometime soon I am sure I will pick up another one!!!

Yeah.  When I was about 9 I heard something new, looked up and saw Chuck Hughes blow down the tarmac on a Cushman Eagle and I dropped my Slopoke in the mud and took off running after him.  Never saw the Cushman again and never even saw Chuck Hughes again... figure now they were ambushed by some Japanese genius, tossed into a time machine and the KLR popped out the other side.

This is why I am thining KLR

http://www.backroadstouring.org/kansas/

I am not thinking trail bike, but rather something that can go gravel/dirt roads, without ratteling the plastic off of the connie.  I had a line on a Yamaha WR250, but I think it would be too small (I am 6'3, 220lbs).  I would also like the ability to take the two laners until I get to the gravel I want.  Thanks for the right up..  Still, it sounds like the newer model is quite the improvment, and the price difference is not so great that that it would be a deal breaker...

Thanks

Based on your link, I would also consider the Honda XR650L.  It's a lot lighter than the KLR, and very capable off road, basically the same bike that won Baja a bunch of times in the '90's, but still able to be driven on the interstate.  Just a thought.

Very last comment I swear!

The KLR was conceived of as a flexible "platform" to be shaped for individual needs, not to look cool or get carried upstairs.  Because this is one of the two most produced Kawasakis, because it is a steel military machine, because like the Cessna 182 there are more parts for the thing in more third world countries than anything it resembles,  because it would take two weeks to scan all the after market support,  because every "mechanic" in the world has KLR experience, because if you have pliers, a screw driver, hammer, duct tape, a bit of stainless tie wire and gas, it will take you around the world, because you seldom see one in the back of a truck, because because because because because, we're off to see...

Connie Mark said:
I have a KLR and a  C10. Good combo in my book. Both cheap, fun, and reliable.  8)
Ditto

BTW, some(lots) of the 08's had an oil burning issue, something about a different set of rings that would not seat correctly. Be careful, the KLRs do not have an oil light.

I believe the oil burning issue is blown out of proportion. Don't forget, we deal with the internet. The legions of people with no mechanical issues are the silent majority, while those with the issues make a lot of noise. My '08 has been nothing but fun and reliable and uses very little oil. I get through my 2k miles between oil changes without any need to add oil. I'm sure there are many out there just like me. If you do get an oil burner, there is a 685 kit that fixes the issue, and then some.

SteveJ. said:
Connie Mark said:
I have a KLR and a  C10. Good combo in my book. Both cheap, fun, and reliable.  8)
Ditto

BTW, some(lots) of the 08's had an oil burning issue, something about a different set of rings that would not seat correctly. Be careful, the KLRs do not have an oil light.

If you do get an oil burner, there is a 685 kit that fixes the issue, and then some.
Yup, I've heard good things on the 685 kit, I was just putting the info out there so the OP would be aware that yes, there is an issue. I know somebody that did have the problem, over 5krpm, it would suck oil hard. Like I said, the oil burners are out there.

As far as preferences old v new, I bought an old one, a 98. Kinda skunt up, faded, and dented, in excellent mechanical condition. I'm glad not to have bought a real purty one, I don't have to worry about putting the first scratch on it. It is, after all, a KLR. What other bike would you own, that having spent $19 on an Action Packer by Rubbermaid for a trunk, would be considered a hi zoot farkle, over the free milk case trunk. Kinda like building a rat rod.

I rode my old, beat up KLR from FL to Cal last year, almost all on the byways. That bike put a huge grin on my face.

Head on over and check out a couple of KLR forums:

http://klrworld.com/forums/

http://www.klr650.net/

The second has a strong commercial feel to it, as it's sole purpose seems to be a money grab, but there is good info in there. It's also run buy somebody that apparently has issues. Real easy to get permabanned there. DAMHIK,IJK. After about a year, he lifted the block against even non logged in access from my IP addy. Just the same, the same info is available at KLR World.

By visiting the above, you can get a true feel for the pride KLR owners take in being truly cheap. Lots of Farkle options for both styles.

Thanks guys,

I have been lurking on the KLR650.net site, so I will definitly be wary when looking at any potential used bike.

There is a WR250 that is for sale around me, which may be an option too.  I really would prefer the KLR, but I have slightly alterior motives.  Once I get the third bike in the garage, a replacement may be easier than an addition.

Also the WR is quite a bit cheaper, and there is the off chance that the wife may even want to ride it...

I bought an early release  '08 KLR650 in June 2007.
Unbelievable oil burner. Doesn't mean everyone was but many were. No matter what oil, break in, blah blah blah opinion.
In my case down to the add level EVERY TANK of gas. That does not work for most of us much less an ADV bike.
Had the 685 kit installed, dealer mech was great using the K approved labor. I of course bought the Snitz racing 685 kit that offers about 3+hp more and friends that is about 10%! Noticeable.
The bike does not use oil now with 18 k mi and kit installed at 6k mi.
Other comparisons with my now '08 and my last one a '00 that I put 48k mi on including a 6400 mile trip and excursions to the Copper canyon in Mex, Harrison Lake in BC, Utah Canyonlands...
On the weight factor, K (and many other Mfg's) fudged on the weight of the pre '08 KLR. Per MCN the diff is more like + 20#.
Bigger forks, stiffer springs and larger spokes up front give the rider a more confident fell on and off road IMO.
Better aero on road, slightly more wind protection.
The engine is noticeably more smooth.

If you're not one caught up in the new look with the bodywork/beek, look for a 2000-2006 model with low miles and save enough money to do any upgrade you feel it needs. That could be suspension mods, an adventure set up, or everything with aftermarket quality. Be careful, it's very addictive to get involved with these things. They become part of the family, almost like a good dog. With over 100K on my 02, I'll attest to the versatility and dependability of the beast. What it can do rest largly with ones ability, and that increases quickly as you spend time riding. Having done many 1500 mile days and one 1775 day, the best saddle out there in my opinion is Rick Mayer. Best thing about a KLR; one of everything, can be field stripped in no time flat, and there's an aftermarket that's unmatched for any bike. These bikes love to be ridden hard, and if you do, you'll not have an oil burn issue. Ride it like you stole it. And don't wash it very often.  Al

My brother had a '01 in which he used for 100K. He always said if he could only have 1 bike a KLR would be it. He replaced it with a '09. I`ve heard him say the newer one is a little more hiway freindly.
My other brother bought a '05 new and loved it. He is gone now and I have the bike and  I wouldnt trade it for the world.

yeah, im trying to talk the wife into letting me get a second scoot, and i think it will be the KLR... guess we'll see...

If I could only have one bike it would still be my c14. Two bikes and the second would always be a KLR.
The post-08 bikes are alot better, in my humble opinion. Enough to make me trade in my 05.
But get any one, you won't be sorry.

Ride the Connie for a week straight, then jump on the KLR. It feels like you are riding a mountain bike. It is awesome at around town and as a commuter. Very nimble.

Getting off the '00 KLR in 2003 after the 6400mi ride... then getting on the Connie...
WHAT BUZZ!!  :whoo:

Connie Mark said:
Ride the Connie for a week straight, then jump on the KLR. It feels like you are riding a mountain bike. It is awesome at around town and as a commuter. Very nimble.

I consider my ole 1992 a houshold appliance more than a bike.  It just keeps going without much attention and always brings me home. Probably get into more offroad situations with it than many klrs, it'll do it, But like a jeep you just crawl your way through , not pushing any speed like a real dirt bike.

Dandmotoman,  think I rode your new klr at gpnf?  it was definatly nicer on the road than my old version.

my old beast in the old growth and on a rocky road

LBQride3.jpg

Naches-stampedepass_5.jpg

Yeah WildBill.
Thought that was you on this forum...
Did a second OBDR routes 3/4/5 south to north last year with Steve (BadBoy) (DRZ400S) and Keith (KLR650) from Cody.
My '08 KLR has been great other than the 18 initial months dealing with the oil use and three teardowns after a bad rebore for the 685 kit/
BTW: WidBill can put a KLR thru single track unlike any other rider I have ever seen! Photos don't do it justice!  ;)

dan,  yes' I got the old connie out after 4 years of storage so had to check out the cog forum.  The old klr still runs out great,  cut the decomp device off of the cam about 10k ago cause it got so loose it kept throwing it's spring.  No problem running with it at all (maybe not for a 685 though).  Got a Kawaski team shirt for ya here somewhere,  next time I see ya.

What ever you buy don't adjust the balancer shaft until you replace the doohickey.  My doohickey spring was broken at 16,000 miles on my 06.  Trying to adjust it would have made it looser.  Also, check the spring on the decompression device when you do the valves.  Mine was munched up into a hundred pieces and floating around in the motor.  I would also consider a DR650.   

I have both a 99 KLR 650 and a 93 Yamaha XT 600. The Yamaha is great offroad but less road worthy than the KLR. The Yamaha is lighter and air cooled,less maintance. They are both fun to ride dsepending on how much trail time you do the XT 600 is best for me. Get one if you can find one. The 93 was the last year it was imported to the states.

Friends, If you're going to take the time to do the "doohickey", please remember to use the clock type torsion spring rather than the extension spring type. Much better adjust/tension/quiet than the origional type. It's captured by the balancer lever, so there will never be a fragment issue within the motor.
  Al

IronButtAl said:
I'm pretty sure it's made by Arrowhead, but it HAS been a long time since installed.
Eagle Mike makes the torsion spring and the doohickey replacements. He is very active and helpful on the KLR650.net site. The newer bikes really only need the spring replaced, the older gen should have the whole thing replaced.

Yes, my '08 at 6k mi had the stock doohickey spring at end of adjustment.
Eagle Mike is the best!

Connie Mark said:
IronButtAl said:
I'm pretty sure it's made by Arrowhead, but it HAS been a long time since installed.
Eagle Mike makes the torsion spring and the doohickey replacements. He is very active and helpful on the KLR650.net site. The newer bikes really only need the spring replaced, the older gen should have the whole thing replaced.

The good and correct Doo-hickey is from Eagle Mike.

Torsion spring version installed in my "cherry" '99

I ride, ADV tour,explore ,etc on an improved,modified and farkled  Gen 1 (07)

Attachments

• KLR2.jpg
    KLR2.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 105
I'm also a Gen 1 fan - '06 in the faster color...  :nananana:

Eagle Mike doo, stainless brake lines, EBC 320 front rotor and Galfer green binders, Corbin seat, bark busters, Cee Bailey's screen, 22 cent mod, I'm sure I'm forgetting something...  These bike are addicting. 

Advantages of the first gen bikes include better ground clearance and more suspension travel.  Second gen bikes have better brakes, fatter forks,  and modern fairings.  They also supposedly have more power, but my friends 09 doesn't, they are pretty even.  There is probably more aftermarket support for the first gen's at the moment but that will probably change over time.  I've heard that the 2nd gen bikes have oil burning issues but I think it's probably mostly internet hype.  Mine will burn extra oil when slabbing at over 5,000 rpm.  It really comes down to which bike you prefer, neither is particularly good off the beaten path.  I don't take mine on trails, but I'll take it anywhere a quad will go. 

Attachments

• Vision Quest 2010 006.JPG
    Vision Quest 2010 006.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 84