• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Old Tires?

horsenuts123

I ride enough that my tires won't be unsafe because of age, ever. But, this guy has been riding to my work for a couple years now on what appear to be the original tires from 30ish years ago.

Attachments

• CSR250 tire cracks.jpg
    CSR250 tire cracks.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
  • CSR250.jpg
    CSR250.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 238
I ride enough that my tires won't be unsafe because of age, ever. But, this guy has been riding to my work for a couple years now on what appear to be the original tires from 30ish years ago.

Wow, there are so many cracks. They don't make 'em like they used to...? LOL Wonder if he's got tubes in them!

As long as he doesn't exceed 30 mph, never hits a pothole or has anyone cut him off (requiring emergency braking) I guess he can ride on those bricks until they finally get ground down to powder and steel braids.

Of course there are tubes in them, an 80's spoke rim. Tube is probably not in a ton better shape but at least does not see the UV degradation. Seen some 3rd world country riders take tires past even those extremes, caveat is they usually go pop at slow speeds and not too dramatically.

Those cracks allow for better flexing of the tire wall translating into a smoother ride over rough surfaces . . . . . until they don't.

I looked at that bike when I bought my '81 CSR305 and both were 1 or 2 year only bikes, so that's got to be almost 40 years old.

Do they not have any vehicle safety inspections in your state? Those tires would and should be failed during a inspection. I always tell people that need a tire change that rubber is cheaper than plaster, or a room at a hospital EVERY time, and the new rubber usually puts a smile on your face.

Do they not have any vehicle safety inspections in your state? Those tires would and should be failed during a inspection. I always tell people that need a tire change that rubber is cheaper than plaster, or a room at a hospital EVERY time, and the new rubber usually puts a smile on your face.
Just for the record, Indiana does not require safety inspections on cars or bikes.

Nebraska got rid of vehicle safety inspections in the mid 80's I believe.

Nebraska got rid of vehicle safety inspections in the mid 80's I believe.
MN is optional but here, where we live now, in PA safety inspection is mandatory on motorcycles.

For those that are unaware of maintaining or safety (e.g. brake thickness, tire tread depth,….) it is a lifesaving minimal dollars, yes agree for others it’s a PITA with no value…