• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

One Stop Brake Upgrade Thread???

hazy14

Crotch Rocket
I'm getting slightly frustrated. Having read through the forum for over a year, is there not a thread that outlines, all in one place, what exactly is needed to upgrade to 4 pot brakes on a later model C10? I'm looking for a laundry list, all on one page, then made into a Wiki or Sticky so we can all refer back to it. I need to know:

My Connie is 'This Year'...
What model brakes can I convert to?
What year bike do they come off of?
I know I need mounting brackets...a link to where I can buy them.
I want to use my factory rotors... I can use 'these' brakes with 'these' adapters.
I want to upgrade to bigger rotors.... I can use 'these' brakes with 'these' adapters.

I see these same questions come up over and over again, but I haven't seen a single place to find the answer. Or does this place already exist and I've missed it?

Help!!!  :truce:

Have you seen this thread?

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,17890.75.html

Pages 6 thru 8 give a lot of info about using the SVracing brackets, which are currently the only "off the shelf" brackets available for the '94 on C10.  SVracing makes caliper brackets for SV650s and Vstroms that will work with the stock rotors on the C10 along with the installation of some spacers that are mentioned in the thread.  SVracing has a list of caliper donors on their website.  Otherwise, caliper brackets for any other caliper or rotor size are a "make your own" proposition.

The SVracing adapters are available here:

http://www.svracingparts.com/store/#!/~/category/id=8452372&offset=0&sort=normal

HTH,

Well it didn't get many posts but here's my question.

I have a '92 with single pot calipers.  I've see posts about 4 & 6 pot calipers but what's involved in fitting the later model 2 pot calipers?

Thanks in advance

Freddy said:
Well it didn't get many posts but here's my question.

I have a '92 with single pot calipers.  I've see posts about 4 & 6 pot calipers but what's involved in fitting the later model 2 pot calipers?

Thanks in advance

I'm not aware of anyone doing this in the last 10 years or so.  It isn't popular with the 4 piston options available.  You will either need to mount a complete front end (forks, brakes, wheel) from a '94 up or make adapters to fit the calipers.  If you want to keep your stock front end, you may want to contact member 2fast to see if he still has brackets available for mounting 4 piston calipers to your bike.  If you choose to go with the front end swap you'll have the advantage of being able to mount a 17" wheel as well as 4 piston brakes.  Everything from the front end will bolt on, you can even use your existing triple clamps.

HTH,

cheers,

Just jumping in here...I made brackets for the 86-94 models that will do a conversion to Tokiko 4 pot calipers, along with mounting up 320mm rotors. There is a little milling required on the caliper to level the mounting locations, and the rotor mounting holes go up to a larger size.  I still have a few sets of the brackets if anyone is interested. It will give you outstanding front brakes.
http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/bpsnow1/slideshow/C10%20BrakeUpgrade%20bracket

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I'm not anxious to upgrade the whole front end as I rebuilt the forks last year with Wilbers progressive springs, new bushes and seals and the bike handles so much better now, just stopping is the concern.  Do the 2 pot calipers bolt straight on?

Thanks for the info on your upgrade 2fast, I had seen reference to them when searching.  If I went down that path I would like ABS as well. 

Now I already have a gen 1 C14 with abs and have been contemplating the possibility of fitting a gen 1 system to the C10 as a project.  I have not seen any reports of it having been done and if any are known I'd like to read of it.  I found the TCB fittings above while searching wonder what they're really like.

Comments please.

Freddy said:
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I'm not anxious to upgrade the whole front end as I rebuilt the forks last year with Wilbers progressive springs, new bushes and seals and the bike handles so much better now, just stopping is the concern.  Do the 2 pot calipers bolt straight on?
The mounting for the the 2 pot calipers is completely different than the one pots, this is why it is necessary to have the later front end or make an adapter to mount them.

Freddy said:
Now I already have a gen 1 C14 with abs and have been contemplating the possibility of fitting a gen 1 system to the C10 as a project.  I have not seen any reports of it having been done and if any are known I'd like to read of it.  I found the TCB fittings above while searching wonder what they're really like.
Comments please.

The TCB system seems a little too good to be true, but if you try it please post up your experience.  As for installing ABS from the C14, that sounds like an ambitious project, please let us know how it goes  :great:

Thanks Gary for the info about the caliper mount.

Regarding ABS, yes I know it's a challenge and will have a number of practical issues to resolve but I have a lot of time, skill and tools available but limited re$ource$.  So I'll probably give the TCB things a try first when I fit the 2 pot calipers.

And I will report back - when done.

With a little ingenuity and some patience you can just about fit anything on a C-10. I have radial caliper front brakes off of a
newer model ZX--10 and rear brakes off of a 900 Vulcan.  If I can't find the right bracket for anything I make it myself. You would not believe some of the parts I have adapted to this bike. Its like I always say, the worst thing you can tell me is, "they don't make one of those for your bike".

Well I've decided to attempt the ABS upgrade and have the bits coming from all round the world, almost.  I'll keep you posted in due course but fitting the sensor rings will be the first challenge - 60 hole front, 50 hole rear and the rotor bolts could be in the way.  :(  I think the wheel circumferences are close enough, hopefully.  And then there's the electrics  :-\ 

Yeah Jim, 'they don't make one of them for your bike' is right  ???

Can anyone post the pictures of the brake rotors being milled to spec to accept the bracket to upgrade to 4 piston front brake rotors? thank you !