• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Opinion of factory touring seat, please or the Top Sellerie Comfort Seat from France

garageman

I have had my 2012 C14 for more than 2 years. It came with a Sargent seat which I have learned to hate. I am an Iron Butt rider and no matter what I try, 5 hours and my ass is killing me. Can anybody recommend the factory touring seat? I am 6 ' and 255 lbs.

Last edited:
I had one on my bike and it was ok for about three hours , I’m pushing the scales at about 198lbs, 9 hours in it one day and didn’t think I was going to be able to walk the next day?If you are in iron but rider do yourself a favor and buy a Russell day long seat ,you won’t regret it that’s what’s on my bike now I rode 6-7 hundred miles last weekend never once had any aches or pains in or around my buttocks.

I have the one piece Corbin seat. It looks good and works well for me. I'm not much of a long distance rider but have done a 700 mile ride on it without a complaint.
I've had Corbins on all of my bikes and found then to be rather hard at first but very comfortable. Of course your results may vary.

I've also ridden on Corbins for over a decade and like the firm support (after they break in) and currently have a 2-piece on the C14. However, I'm not an IB type rider and do need to take breaks from the saddle at fill ups. My buddy was a fan of Corbin but switched to RDL a few years ago and loves it. I may give it a try.

I put the Kawasaki Touring Seat om my 09. So far I like it. No more sliding into the tank. But unfortunately I have not been on any long trips to fully test. But I anticipate the results will be good. I will know after several hundred miles in one sitting if it was actually worth it. I did buy an extra stock seat to send off to the seat guru. But it seems his back log is long.

The stock seat after a long distance over a couple of days and states made me feel and walk like a cowboy. A cowboy who pushed a herd of cows into Abilene, KS from Texas. It would take a couple of days to fully recover.

Last edited:
My experience with seats is as follows.

My used 2010 came with a Sargent low. And i bought the bike without test riding it. It was February in toledo ohio. First warm-ish chicago days learned that this saddle was hard as a 2x6 with 2 sheets of tissue under the cover. Quickly replaced with a stock 'gel' seat from an '09. Just as bad as the Sargent...

So i locate a 2 piece corbin thats several years old. All the info about Corbins is they need time and miles to break in. This one was 2+ years old and had 10k miles on it so it should have been perfect. Nope hard as brand new, and still is. So i bust out the airhawk seat pad i had for my c10 and is now doable for longer rides. (Just a couple puffs is all it takes) but,

This still didnt satisfy my butt. So i buy a low mileage stock saddle from a 2016 because the intel was that ma kaw changed the seats in 2015 with some tweaking and different padding. Much better. From savannah georgia to national in Williamsport pa. And back no issues, savannah georgia to the Ohio windy 9 and back no issues. Having ridden my buddies c14 with their russell day long, my Butt (pun intended) says my buddies with the RDL are correct and persistent its is the best seat period. I will have one tailored to my gluteous maximus soon..

I was there too (... dwarf horses...) I use a Sargent seat around town because it looks pretty good. But I used my Kawasaki touring seat which, with a sheepskin cover, never bothered me over the weekend. I got home about 6 pm and had no significant discomfort. My knees complained more than my butt. But, I've also had a RDL, and given the option, I'd take that over the Kawi seat.

Thanks so much for the opinions guys. I Had a Corbin seat on a Yamaha GTS 1000 ( single sided front swing arm) and it was great. I toured for 4 years on a Hayabusa with a seat done by Laam and did several Iron Butt rides. This Sargent is a killer. I think I will look for a daylong.

Last edited:
I'm in France and have heard mixed opinions on Top sellerie (located in Normandy)
Some guys here are happy with their seats, others have issues regarding the shape of the seat not corresponding perfectly to their motorbike. Due to these mitigated opinions, I ordered a seat to another saddler. Top sellerie is a big company, and I prefer, for this kind of hand made product, a family run business (or really specialized like RDL), as if you have any issue, I'm not sure the customer service will be at it's best.

Here in Europe, due to the small sizes of countries, travels are shorter than in the US. We have no saddlers specialized in long trip riding seats like Laam or RDL. I asked some french saddlers if they could make a seat similar to a RDL or Laam, as iit would be much cheaper than buying in the US with shipping and extra VAT adding 50% to the price, well it's just impossible they don't know how to do even a copy of a RDL !
I'd recommend a RDL because I don't think any European made saddle would stay comfortable very long on your Iron Butt trips

Last edited:
I spent 8 years trying to get the stock seat on my 2010 to work for day-long trips. Air hawk, butt pads, Moto-Skiveez Adventure Skiveez, etc. Collectively they helped extend the number of hours of comfortable riding but nonetheless after 3-4 hours things got sore down under. A primary culprit was the stock seat pushes the rider forward. All the while I longed for the Russell Day Long but the cost kept me away. So I bought the Kawasaki touring seat. It was moderately more comfortable but it still pushed me forward, and was most certainly not what I would call touring comfortable. Sold the Kawa touring seat and finally bit the bullet and went with the RDL. It truly is a day long riding seat. My butt wishes my brain had bought the RDL from day 1.

I spent 8 years trying to get the stock seat on my 2010 to work for day-long trips. Air hawk, butt pads, Moto-Skiveez Adventure Skiveez, etc. Collectively they helped extend the number of hours of comfortable riding but nonetheless after 3-4 hours things got sore down under. A primary culprit was the stock seat pushes the rider forward. All the while I longed for the Russell Day Long but the cost kept me away. So I bought the Kawasaki touring seat. It was moderately more comfortable but it still pushed me forward, and was most certainly not what I would call touring comfortable. Sold the Kawa touring seat and finally bit the bullet and went with the RDL. It truly is a day long riding seat. My butt wishes my brain had bought the RDL from day 1.
I did the same,And if you look at the price of a brand new Kawasaki touring seat right now it’s almost 600 bucks I think it’s like $551. I had my RDL built for $500 , although other people might cost more because mine I just had the single solo rider and no heat but are you gonna pay $551 for the touring seat or get a better seat with the RDL.

I'm in France and have heard mixed opinions on Top sellerie (located in Normandy)
Some guys here are happy with their seats, others have issues regarding the shape of the seat not corresponding perfectly to their motorbike. Due to these mitigated opinions, I ordered a seat to another saddler. Top sellerie is a big company, and I prefer, for this kind of hand made product, a family run business (or really specialized like RDL), as if you have any issue, I'm not sure the customer service will be at it's best.

Here in Europe, due to the small sizes of countries, travels are shorter than in the US. We have no saddlers specialized in long trip riding seats like Laam or RDL. I asked some french saddlers if they could make a seat similar to a RDL or Laam, as iit would be much cheaper than buying in the US with shipping and extra VAT adding 50% to the price, well it's just impossible they don't know how to do even a copy of a RDL !
I'd recommend a RDL because I don't think any European made saddle would stay comfortable very long on your Iron Butt trips
Thanks for the reply. I was looking for someone actually familiar with the seat. You saved me from wasting my money.

I did the same,And if you look at the price of a brand new Kawasaki touring seat right now it’s almost 600 bucks I think it’s like $551. I had my RDL built for $500 , although other people might cost more because mine I just had the single solo rider and no heat but are you gonna pay $551 for the touring seat or get a better seat with the RDL.
The more I hear the more I think I need the RDL. Plus those are my initials. maybe that will mean good karma.

Life is short!
Enjoy you riding days, Get a RDL Made for you. Mine is quite fancy with extras, it was 775 out the door, These also have a breakin period but when they do- You know where that 775 went.
I have another very old now RDL on my 1978 BMW R/80 that is still in great shape after 50 k, Good quality
Nick
2014 C-14

This thread just answered my question about getting an RDL seat.
FTB350 let me try his factory touring seat out a while back and we couldn't feel a whole lot of difference from my stock seat to his touring.

This thread just answered my question about getting an RDL seat.
FTB350 let me try his factory touring seat out a while back and we couldn't feel a whole lot of difference from my stock seat to his touring.
I have a RDL now, single seat mod no heat, $500,2000 painless miles so far.😁

garageman,

I am an Iron butt rider also. I love the Corbin seats and know some people think they are too hard. We have a two piece Corbin seat on our Connie and love it. The stock seat is awful for long rides. It feels good for a while but it cannot do long days in the saddle.

A Corbin seat is the first addition I do to any bike.

I had a RDL on my C10. Day Long is accurate, as I never had an issue on many 700mile plus days. I've had stock seats, Corbins and Sargents, and there's nothing like a Russell. They look a little funky, but you can't see it when my fat butt is on it. I haven't got one for my C14 yet, but I will.

I can also give a solid 2 thumbs up for RDL. The comfort level jumped 90% on my '06 C-10.
The seat design only offered 2 cavaets (for me) which are hardly worth mentioning.
1) The wide molded seat base makes it a little harder to shift your butt from side to side
if you're an aggressive rider.
2) With your leg down at a stop, the seat pressed the inside of my leg, making it 'uncomfortable'
at long lights.
The RDL I had was purchased used, from a rider of approximately the same height/weight, so
not having it made for me specifically probably contributed to these issues. The comfort when riding
was awesome. The 2-up seat I had made the wife much happier jumping on for a ride, because the
factory bench had her squirming in about 45 minutes. Happy wife.....

Love my Corbin 1 piece, I have sat on RDL and Terry's custom, they felt the felt good but not any better as my Corbin to my rear. But in defense I have no idea who they were designed for and what they wanted out of the seat. I think whatever you get, having it made for you is the ultimate way to get the seat right. I guess RDL talks with you over the phone?, I'm not sure how accurate that can be. I do believe setting the appointment with RDL or Corbin for a ride in fitting would be the best you could do...again at a price, but I am a believer, you get what you paid for.

If I started having problems with my Corbin I would go to them for the ride in fitting in Florida. RDL is in California.

Both also offer back rest options, if you are going the lounger seat option, that would seem to be a add on must.

good luck, ride safe!

I bought a Kawasaki Touring Saddle a couple of years ago. Right now it's on my '08, as the '12 is getting a Corbin solo seat/police radio box conversion. I usually put a beaded or gel seat cover atop it (depending on outside temps and conditions) and it's been good so far when used this way.