• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Opinion on Deceleration Headshake aka death wobble

Stasch

While I understand where they come from, there are several recurring comments on this topic that I disagree with as being the fundamental source in most cases, of the typical 50-40 mph deceleration headshake on C10's, C14's, Goldwings and other heavier bikes.

-------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: My opinion is based on my experience. I am not an engineer. While I do hold a Motorcycle Mechanics certificate from the State of Michigan, the test wasn't that difficult. Its a cool thing to me to have and maintain for $20 per year to the state coffers.

I am not a professional mechanic nor am I broadly experienced across a wide range of bikes. I do all my own work on my personal bikes. I have worked on other C10 owner's bikes, but I know them and am usually working alongside them (but not always).
-------------------------------------------------------

LEGEND: SHB = 'steering head bearing'

So here we go. Comments most often posted on threads (on this and other forums) asking about this issue include:

'wheel bearings'
'tire imbalance'
'uneven tire wear'
'just don't take your hands off the bars'

It is possible to have the first three issues which do need to be resolved if they exist. However, I think in most cases, the decel headshake is simply due to improper SHB adjustment and can coincide with any or all of these other three issues.

I am not claiming that wheel bearings or tire issues can't cause some degree of headshake and its always a great idea to keep tabs on the health of your tires and wheel bearings.

However, if you have a headshake, it makes the most sense to me to first check the steering head adjustment. Its free to do, and is necessary for the long term health of your SHB's anyway.

Headshake severity varies depending on how loose the SHB adjustment is and / or how grooved the SHB's races are. (See attached photo below). Some bikes (even within the same model) are worse than others.

I test for it often on all my road bikes. To do so, I allow the bike to decel from 50 or 60 mph down to 35 or so in a safe situation, with both hands on the bars. Once I let off the throttle, I loosen my grip slightly and pay close attention. At any hint of a shake, I tighten my grip.

If you test, you do so at your own risk, but hey, you're on a motorcycle and probably already know if you have some headshake anyway. Don't simply let go completely to test. In more severe cases you could find yourself in an uncontrolled death wobble tank slapper that you can't recover from šŸ˜§, which on some bikes with severe mal-adjustment or severe SHB wear can happen quickly and violently if you are no handed, or fail to tighten your grip back up.

What can make diagnosis a bit obscure is that it is possible for a new tire to temporarily eliminate the headshake phenomenon if its relatively minor. However, the headshake will return if the fundamental cause of improper SHB adjustment is not addressed.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think a new tire can have uneven wear introduced to it by too loose of SHB adjustment which is why I think new tires only hide the headshake for a short time.

Personal Examples:

My first (and current) 2000 Concours ZG1000 has 106,000 miles on it. I bought it in 2003 with 9,800 miles and it had the decel headshake on my test ride. After a new front tire change from the old stock Dunlop, it temporarily resolved the issue only to return about 1,000 miles later. Finally at 26,000 miles, the proper adjustment of the SHB was done. I have not had any headshake since, having run multiple brands of front tires through their wear life.

I had to adjust the steering head again at 81,000 miles after a slight clunk over bumps showed up, but never had a headshake. That bump clunk adjustment only required 1/8 turn. Since then, all has been well.

I owned a 1999 Voyager XII ZG1200 which also manifested the decel headshake issue. Fresh front tire resolved it temporarily, but it returned. Once the SHB was properly adjusted, the issue was finally resolved, lasting through several more front tire's wear lives until I sold the bike.

I have also owned another dozen C10's which I have brought back to life. Every one of them had the decel wobble to some degree. Most of these were from situations where they had been put up for several years or weren't consistent on the maintenance, but still - EVERY ONE.

Some were able to be tuned out, but two were downright violent requiring SHB replacement, such as my current project, a recently acquired 2003 C10. It will be a very nice bike once gone through and tweaked up. It even has the SISF 7th gear mod and overflow tubes / 2 minute mod! But I digress.

The headshake on this one happened VIOLENTLY, all the time at any road speed, not just on decel or in the 50-40 mph range.

This fairly common decel headshake occurs on multiple brands of heavier bikes when the SHB adjustment is too loose. Many older bikes used to have a knurled rubber knob on top of the top triple tree to allow for 'on the fly' adjusting. My 1971 Suzuki T500 Titan, my younger brother's 1970 Suzuki GT350 and my dad's 1968 Yamaha 180 (all 2 strokes twin road bikes) all had it.

Decel headshake can happen after new SHB's are installed and settle in. Even new bikes can have this issue shortly after taking ownership as this adjustment probably doesn't receive adequate attention from the factory, dealerships at assembly or at dealership maintenance service intervals.

I get that the recurring comment of 'just don't take your hands off the bars' has a safety sentiment to it, and I don't discount that. I am the last person to say, 'yeah, just run down the road no-handed, what could possibly go wrong?', nor will I hold your beer while you try it!

Do I do this myself? Of course I do in certain situations, but that doesn't mean you should. I am confident in my bike's adjustment and test often. I don't do this in the potential 50-40 range just out of common sense, unless I am testing using the method described earlier.

However, if there is a headshake that is only kept from manifesting itself because your hands are always religiously on the bar at all times to knowingly prevent it, it still means your SHB's are too loose and there is probably damage being done to your steering head races.

Test for it and take action.

Only tighten 1/8 turn at a time. Yes its a bit of work to disassemble and reassemble again to readjust if necessary, but you will be happy once you get it right.

If you adjust too far, the steering will become vague and 'wandery' meaning the adjustment is too tight. You will know the feeling almost immediately on a test ride at normal speeds, even before you get out of your neighborhood. The difference between too loose and 'wandery' is not that much, its that much of a fine tune.

If you can't adjust it out, I would check the health of the SHB races. If they are grooved you will need to replace them. (see attached photo below)

Only then would I look to the wheel bearings or tires (which you've been keeping an eye on anyway right?)

GroovedOuterRace.JPG

Last edited:
Totally agree, and nice writeup Stasch.
I got my C10 with around high teens or low 20K mileage.
As soon as I got it running on my first ride I perceived the deaccel wobble. Hands off long enough I think it would end up a tank slapper.
I got rid of the aging 2nd set of Dunlops that were on the bike when I bought it.
Definitely got less wobble but it was still there.
I thank COG for pointing me in the steering head bearing check.
The only thing I can add to your writeup is get the front end off the ground and the front end shouldnt turn to one side on its own and bounce off the steering stops.
I tightened it up, probably more than a half a turn before I got to where if you had an old type fish scale it would take a pound or so to drag the bar end to the stops. Very close to too tight. Check for a notchy feeling full the range of back and forth bar motion, if you feel it then it is either a new bearing is needed or the bearing race has the notches and needs to be replaced.

Thanks to COG and member recommendations my C10 with ZRX front end (larger fork tube, better brakes, wider rim), SISF tuned carbs, ZZR rear shock, non stock windscreen, I know this bike rides better than the day it rolled off the factory floor.

The only thing I can add to your writeup is get the front end off the ground and the front end shouldnt turn to one side on its own and bounce off the steering stops.
I tightened it up, probably more than a half a turn before I got to where if you had an old type fish scale it would take a pound or so to drag the bar end to the stops. Very close to too tight. Check for a notchy feeling full the range of back and forth bar motion, if you feel it then it is either a new bearing is needed or the bearing race has the notches and needs to be replaced.
bobct - Nice addition to the adjustment process.

bobct - Nice addition to the adjustment process.
Totally agree, and nice writeup Stasch.
I got my C10 with around high teens or low 20K mileage.
As soon as I got it running on my first ride I perceived the deaccel wobble. Hands off long enough I think it would end up a tank slapper.
I got rid of the aging 2nd set of Dunlops that were on the bike when I bought it.
Definitely got less wobble but it was still there.
I thank COG for pointing me in the steering head bearing check.

Thanks to COG and member recommendations my C10 with ZRX front end (larger fork tube, better brakes, wider rim), SISF tuned carbs, ZZR rear shock, non stock windscreen, I know this bike rides better than the day it rolled off the factory floor.

When I was a dumb young kid (now a dumb old man) my 550 four always had that notch . I just got use to it and rode on...lol . Between that and the cheap Cheng Shin tires I'm lucky to be alive šŸ˜‚ .Now if I sense anything wrong at all with my bike I'm on it .

Update on the 2003 project's steering head bearing mentioned in the original post:

Both bearing outer races had significant grooves worn in them. The bottom bearing had corrosion and both and the lower inner and outer races had some corrosion in addition to worn grooves.

I replaced upper and lower SHBs and all is well.

When testing, I can still get occasional get a very mild wobble (more like a small wiggle) at the handle bars in the 50-40 throttle off / decel range, but only when on a downhill slant. It is very mild and does not progress to anything worse.

I worked to try and adjust it out to the point of a slight overtightening condition manifested as a minor 'wandery' feeling. I backed it off 1/16 a turn and it tracked and steered neutrally again. Its as good as its going to get just short of perfect.

Its now a very nice riding and running bike. It has SISF 2 Minute Carb and 7th gear mods which are very nice additions compared to OEM.

IMG_5848.JPG
IMG_5849.JPGIMG_5887.JPG
IMG_5853.JPG

Last edited:
At least you've got tapered roller bearings to work with instead of Angular contact bearings on the c14.

Good work and display of what goes wrong in the blind. Makes me think I should pull mine apart and inspect and clean/regrease. It's only been 11 years! :unsure: It still feels perfect with the swap to roller bearings, but you never know.

At least you've got tapered roller bearings to work with instead of Angular contact bearings on the c14.

Good work and display of what goes wrong in the blind. Makes me think I should pull mine apart and inspect and clean/regrease. It's only been 11 years! :unsure: It still feels perfect with the swap to roller bearings, but you never know.
It seems like the tapered roller bearings in the C10 were Kawasaki's standard steering bearing assembly from the 80s to the 2000s for mid and large bikes. A quick cross-reference for the bottom seal (which would be more unique to the assembly than just the roller bearing), indicates over 300 models/years. It was even still being used as of a few years ago on stuff like the W800.

BTW, thanks for the detailed write-up on this. This is one of the next items on my list to try and ferret out my high-speed handling instability on the highway. I did my 600 this winter (identical headset as the C10; one of the 300+ models that Kawasaki put it on, haha), and although the bearings and races were a tiny bit pitted, it never had handling issues. I mostly did it for peace of mind, as it's at 37k and 29 years old. Apparently someone else had been into it before, though, as they were packed with red wheel bearing grease, and the bottom seal was upside-down. I initially put it back together that way, but when adjusting noticed that I was getting a lot of friction from the seal. I went to look at my parts-bike 600, and it was oriented the same way. It was only after looking at my C10 that I realized my other bikes had it upside-down!

Anyway, adjusting the bearings on the 600 didn't make me real confident in the process, as there seemed to be quite a bit of range between play and "tight". I did the shop-manual torque to seat the bearings first too. My other experience is mostly on bicycles, with cup-and-cone ball bearings, and there's always a very defined sweet spot within a very narrow range.

Well, I couldn't resist the urge to check my bike tonight, so I jacked the front up. The steering bearings are smooth and easy to rotate, and there's zero play. Fork legs are tight with no play either.

I also checked my swingarm bearing adjustment, and it was right at spec torque.

I guess my highway instability issues lie elsewhere.

Well, I couldn't resist the urge to check my bike tonight, so I jacked the front up. The steering bearings are smooth and easy to rotate, and there's zero play. Fork legs are tight with no play either.

Seth,
Iā€™m following your thread closely..

I, and several others on here, have this same ā€œwiggle/ nervousnessā€ issue in turbulence and rain grooves on the C10
Mine became noticeable when I installed Avon radials and a Givi trunk at the same time
The one thing that helped the most was airing up my rear shock. A recommendation from the brain trust (Ted, Rocky, et al) at the Cumberland rally 2 years ago
I changed the oil in my forks and shock last year. Still wiggles.
Removing the trunk also helps, but I like my trunk for storage.
Thanks for sharing your experience
Bob

Seth,
Iā€™m following your thread closely..

I, and several others on here, have this same ā€œwiggle/ nervousnessā€ issue in turbulence and rain grooves on the C10
Mine became noticeable when I installed Avon radials and a Givi trunk at the same time
The one thing that helped the most was airing up my rear shock. A recommendation from the brain trust (Ted, Rocky, et al) at the Cumberland rally 2 years ago
I changed the oil in my forks and shock last year. Still wiggles.
Removing the trunk also helps, but I like my trunk for storage.
Thanks for sharing your experience
Bob
Thanks for the input! I am still trying things out too. I found loose rear engine mount bolts, and torquing them to spec seems to have helped some, but the wiggly feeling on the highway hasn't gone away. This bike is great in just about every other respect. In hindsight, I am wishing I had gotten some different tires, though, as it turns in a bit too easy/quick for my taste, and I'm wondering if they may be a factor in the stability issue. They're Avon Spirit ST in 110/80-18 front and 150/80-16 rear.

Last night I checked swingarm bearings (tight, and were right at spec torque), headset bearings (smooth, and zero play when the front is jacked up). There was even zero fork tube play. Usually on my older bikes, I can feel a tiny bit of play in the slider bushings when the front is up and the forks are fully extended.

I am going to experiment with my rear shock settings a bit. My bike has a Hagon coil shock with external preload adjuster. It's pretty stiff relative to the forks (and I imagine compared to a stock shock). When I first started checking things, it had about 1 1/4" static sag, so I adjusted it to give 1 1/2". I think I'll try dialing it to each extreme and see if that helps. Less sag (rear lifted up higher) would give less effective rake/trail on the front, which theoretically would make for more sensitive handling, and lowering the back should theoretically make steering slower (more rake/trail). The other anecdotes about adding air (to a stock shock) would contradict this theory, though. I am also going to try softening the shock damping to see if that helps.

I am also planning to install cartridge emulators and stiffer springs in the forks. I have the emulators already, and am just waiting on the springs to arrive in the next week. I was planning on doing it at some point anyway, so I might as well see if that helps things here. How do you have your forks set up?

My forks are bone stock, just put in new oil last year.

For the record, Ii I recall correctly, multiple people saying they had this issue after the Avons were installed. Others never had a problem

My bike came with Kenda Cruz wing size tires . Very stable, but rode a big fat slug, bike felt 100 pounds heavier. In fact, The Avons were a such a big change / improvement in handling, it took me a while to get used to them. They turned so much faster, it was almost a dangerous improvement, until I got used to it.

My forks are bone stock, just put in new oil last year.

For the record, Ii I recall correctly, multiple people saying they had this issue after the Avons were installed. Others never had a problem

My bike came with Kenda Cruz wing size tires . Very stable, but rode a big fat slug, bike felt 100 pounds heavier. In fact, The Avons were a such a big change / improvement in handling, it took me a while to get used to them. They turned so much faster, it was almost a dangerous improvement, until I got used to it.
That describes my impression really well too. The bike (2002) had the OEM Dunlops when I got it, but with a 2005 date code (pretty sure they were the 2nd set of tires on it, and still had lots of tread), so I only put about 100 cautious miles on before I swapped for the new tires. I didn't have it up to the speeds or interstate rides I'm trying now, so I can't compare directly, but I never felt the wobbly sensation on them. Of course, in addition to being different tires, they were also almost 20 years old and hard rubber!

I am getting used to it now, but yeah, the quick and sharp turn-in was dramatic, even compared to my ZX600-C. I did not expect a this 700lb beast to feel more nimble than my 450lb sportbike. I am getting accustomed to it, but something a little tamer would feel more natural to my taste.

It sounds like the Wing tires are a pretty slow feeling, but maybe something in the middle would be my happy spot. I really don't want to buy more tires again now, though.

I will let you all know how things change when I get my forks upgraded. Regardless of whether they affect this highway handling feeling, I know I'm going to appreciate it. I did the same upgrade on my 600 over this winter and was surprised at the difference. That bike never felt wallowy or under-damped like the C10 does, but the emulators stiffened up brake dive and cornering feel a lot, while also softening the harsh bump response.

Oh, one last thing to note. I have not noticed any tendency on the wobble related with deceleration. It's just when I get above 60mph or so, and have some perturbing force (turbulence from other vehicles, road grooves, wind gust, or intentionally wobbling the bars).

If i remember correctly, with the front wheel off the ground, the handlebars should be snug enough so.that the handlebars don't 'fall' to either side. Someone correct.me if I'm mistaken. I'm trying to find a thread to support that. That was the topic of conversation for the hands off shake we'd get around 40-50 mph.

Both the Kawasaki shop manual and Clymer manual indicate that they should have "little to no play, and zero preload"

Here's the Kawasaki manual:
1000005282.jpg

Look in the tech library
Thanks. I'll take a look, and thanks for the genuine help and advice, from you and so many others. It's why I like the forum so much better than FB groups. Somehow in FB groups of any kind, you have to sort through 90% garbage to find the 10% useful and serious help.

I could see how a little resistance could provide some damping, similar to a steering damper.

I guess I can try Stasch's advice above and try tightening down 1/8 turn at a time and testing until it feels "wandery" (I presume at slower speeds, vs my issue at high speeds?), then back off to the last position before that.

I'd be more excited about this approach if it wasn't a pain to adjust each time, lol.

I guess I can try Stasch's advice above and try tightening down 1/8 turn at a time and testing until it feels "wandery" (I presume at slower speeds, vs my issue at high speeds?), then back off to the last position before that.
I agree. The torque and other checks are kinda vague. Incrementally trying it like ^^^^^^^^ is a way to rule the Steering Stem Bearing out conclusively, or solve your problem.

I agree. The torque and other checks are kinda vague. Incrementally trying it like ^^^^^^^^ is a way to rule the Steering Stem Bearing out conclusively, or solve your problem.
Thanks. I'll give that a shot sometime this weekend. Been buried at work this week and stuck at my desk 10-12hrs a day, which sucks.

I had 2 Connies. 1 had bias ply/wing sized tires and the other std sized radials.
The feel was completely different.
The bias ply felt sluggish/slow to imitate a turn, and it required effort on the bars.
The Radials felt nimble/quick to initiate a turn, and it required little effort on the bars.

When riding one of the bikes, that bike felt fine, but changing bike to bike it was different. (Sometimesw scary feeling)
I suggest that perhaps your used to a style and not comfortable with the other effort.
For instance; Seth is used to a 600 with bias tires. Thinks a Connie should be less nimble. (Sport bike to cruiser)
But may be the effect of the different tires.

At the national, Ono, rode my bike. His is bias ply w/no suspension work.
Mine is (**special) radials w/suspension work.
(So, Ono, did it feel different? Too quick steering for you?)
{Please think about that ride, and reply with your thoughts}.

Also before any of you go to extremes, add all the preload you can to your Connie front end (to prevent decell dive) and/or lower air rear tire pressure. (squat the rear end)
One of those may give you the feel you are comfortable with.

PS:
(**special) = 110/80R-18 on the front and 180/60R-16 on the rear. The combination causes " aww s__t" quick steering that I love in the twisties, but not as stable for cruising.
Takes little or no effort in the turns.
Suspension is set up stiff w/emulators and C-14 rear shock, plus set at 35mm sag both ends.
The bike initially felt like it was nervous. Decreasing rear tire pressure helped a LOT.

Bottom line; before you buy more tires/etc,, adjust what you have and see if suspension geometry is the culprit.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks for the advice. Good stuff.

Yeah, I'm sure part of it is different character of the bikes and tires. My 600 does have bias tires, and the front is one size oversized, as the stock size is no longer made.

After I re-do my forks and experiment more with other settings, I'll see how it's doing.

I would prefer more stability over aggressive nimbleness, though. Where I live, the most twisty action I get is freeway interchanges, haha. I do like a good handling bike, though. After all, I did buy a Connie and not a Wing or a V-Twin cruiser.

test for it often on all my road bikes. To do so, I allow the bike to decel from 50 or 60 mph down to 35 or so in a safe situation, with both hands on the bars. Once I let off the throttle, I loosen my grip slightly and pay close attention. At any hint of a shake, I tighten my grip.

If you test, you do so at your own risk, but hey, you're on a motorcycle and probably already know if you have some headshake anyway. Don't simply let go completely to test. In more severe cases you could find yourself in an uncontrolled death wobble tank slapper that you can't recover from šŸ˜§, which on some bikes with severe mal-adjustment or severe SHB wear can happen quickly and violently if you are no handed, or fail to tighten your grip back up.
I did this test today and found to my surprise a wobble decelerating from 50 down to 40. I think Iā€™ll keep at least one hand on the bars at all times. The only time I ever take my hands off the bars is when I zip up my jacket when I forget. Lol!

I did this test today and found to my surprise a wobble decelerating from 50 down to 40. I think Iā€™ll keep at least one hand on the bars at all times. The only time I ever take my hands off the bars is when I zip up my jacket when I forget. Lol!
What tires/suspension are you running? Have you checked motor mount bolts, swingarm bearings, and steering head bearings?

I have not noticed the decel wobble on my bike, but am curious, as I'm trying to get rid of my high-speed wobbly feeling on the highway.

That's the typical experience with C10's IMO.

I totally get 'just don't take your hands off the bars' as also has a safety element to it, and I don't discount that.

I am the last person to say, 'yeah, just run down the road no-handed, what could possibly go wrong?'

However, if there is a headshake that is only kept from manifesting itself because your hands are always religiously on the bar at all times to knowingly prevent it, it still means your Steering Head Bearings are too loose and there is probably damage being done to your bearing races.

Avons (I used to be a fan) can induce some wobble, and it seemed to happen more on decel. As the tires wore, the effect reduced some.
On preload, I think it was Bergman, there was a write-up that described how a very small amount of preload was beneficial. Without any preload, the weight of the bike causes clearance on the top bearing. With a very small preload, the weight if the bike eliminates preload on the top bearing, but there is minimal clearance and less chance for wobble.

I tried more adjustments on my rear shock and went for another ride today. No apparent change.

After doing some more reading on old threads, I decided to check my steering head bearings adjustment. It was already as tight as my spanner could get it, so I tried loosening it 1/8 turn. I was even worried I'd break my wrench or strip the nut just getting it loose. No detectable movement either before or after, so I guess I'll see how it does now. The bars moved easily in both settings.

I didn't know how tight is too tight, and how that handles, but I guess I'll see if loosening it a touch helped.

When I do get time to upgrade my forks with the emulators and stiffer springs that just arrived, I think I'll pull the steering head bearings and give them a good inspection and at least clean and re-grease them.

Thread 'Thinking steering head needs adjusting' https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/thinking-steering-head-needs-adjusting.34964/

BTW, now that I know the drill to adjust them, it's not terrible, but still a hassle. Probably 20 mins if I really had it down (reaching the bottom triple clamp bolts to loosen and re-torque them is tight quarters with all the plastic on)

1000005311.jpg

Doing more reading on old threads. https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/steering-is-driving-me-nuts-what-are-my-options.33078/

I'm gathering that "over-tightening" the bearings on these bikes may help partly because the friction provides some degree of damping. I'm still planning to experiment some and go through and service (and replace, if any damage is found) my bearings, but I'm wondering more if the wobble that seems to be common on these bikes is inherent due to the chassis/suspension/tire combination. If that's the case, maybe a steering damper (as a few folks have tried) is just as good or better solution than over-tightening the bearings. We'll see where I end up after the rest of my work is done (fork upgrade, bearing service), but if it's still an issue, I'm tempted to try a cheap china-special damper. If that works, maybe I'll spring for a proper quality damper later.

It looks like this guy in Canada was able to tuck one in pretty well under the left fairing. The fab work looks pretty simple too.

I'm also wondering about dynamic balance. My new tires were balanced on a rotisserie balancer, which can't capture side-to-side dynamic balance. Then again, these rims are so narrow, there's not much real estate to try and correct for it. The balancing weights that were on it with the old tires were clip-on weights on the center rib of the rim.

What windshield are you using? I tried a stock windshield that I cut a hole into on my 99. (Summer vent) It made it dance at higher speeds. It also put the airflow right into my eyes with my face shield open. I went back to the Givi that was on the bike when I got it. The bike still like clean airflow better than when I am behind a vehicle. A mini van is the worst. I have that cut shield on my 05 with a dash shelf and it seams ok.

What windshield are you using? I tried a stock windshield that I cut a hole into on my 99. (Summer vent) It made it dance at higher speeds. It also put the airflow right into my eyes with my face shield open. I went back to the Givi that was on the bike when I got it. The bike still like clean airflow better than when I am behind a vehicle. A mini van is the worst. I have that cut shield on my 05 with a dash shelf and it seams ok.
I've tried several windshields, actually. Most of the time I had this cut-down Panlite shield that came on the bike (it's 16" tall). I also tried a Rifle system with a 17" shield (so 23" total height) on one ride, and didn't really notice a difference in the handling. I did realize that it's too tall for my taste, though. The top was right at eye level and just drove me bonkers. It was nice and calm out of the wind, though.

The short 16" shield left my helmet right up in the air. When I would tuck my head down a couple inches, it got a lot calmer and quieter, so I think I want something a bit taller, but still below my sight line. I have a 19" tall Panlite that came spare with the bike that I swapped on last night. It has a flip at the top, which I know a lot of folks have negative opinions of, but I figure I'll give it a shot. If I'm not happy with it, I will probably make my own custom-height screen from polycarbonate for the Rifle base.

In any case, it doesn't seem like the different windshields have had a noticeable effect on the handling feel.

PXL_20240316_171125429.jpg

I swapped out my stock windshield with a Cee Bailey and it completely transformed the bike. The bike is more stable at highway speeds with way less buffeting and a nice, smooth and quiet airspace for my helmeted head while riding. Couldn't believe the difference.

1713277395783.png

That's a tall windshield! I'm sure it's nice and calm behind that.

I've always ridden small sportbikes (see my email sig) with windshields that are barely more than a wind deflector on the fairing, so this is my first experience with something that actually shields you from the wind. I'm pretty sure I still prefer looking over the windshield (I wear a full-face helmet, so I've already got one layer of plastic to look through). I did discover that the the Rifle screen at eye level was the worst of all worlds, though. I've since noticed Harley guys around here with their windshields right at eye level and I don't know how they can stand it.

Well, I don't know if this was my issue, but I decided to pull the forks (going to upgrade springs and install emulators anyway), and figured I'd check the steering head bearings. They had plenty of grease, and still moved smoothly with no play, but the outer races do have witness marks from the rollers.

They were also hella tight. The crown nut was clean and has greasy threads, but I was worried my spanner or the notches in the nut was going to give way. Oddly, there was no binding or notchiness in the steering. It would still bounce a little off the stops of I swing the bars with the front off the ground. I can't see how you could get it any tighter without stripping the crown nut notches.

Here's what the upper and lower outer races look like. Does anyone recognize if this is the factory grease, or if this looks like it was serviced later? The bike only has 12k miles on it, and most of that was in its first few years of life
1000005334.jpg
1000005336.jpg
1000005330.jpg