• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

"Over the Pond II" (Does anyone want to "Ride the Alps"?)

connie_rider

Because we enjoyed OtP so much, Hans and I have been talking about (maybe) doing a new OtP project and call it OtP II.

The problem is, we're unsure if anyone would be interested in participating?

OtP
Background;
As many of you know, we did Over the Pond / OtP for about 20 years.
OtP was VERY Successful and about 25 people traveled Over the Pond.

Sadly, OtP is coming to an end.
NOTE: We hope to bring the final OtP Traveler to the COG National soon.
(Covid restrictions have prevented his trip for the last 2 years).

In OtP I, COGgers were nominated/voted on/and $$ were collected (from COG/GCE) to send the winner on a Ride of a Lifetime to Europe. (Or a GCE member came to the USA)

In OtP II the idea is to **arrange a group ride To the Alps for mebbe 15-16 people.
Unlike OtP I, anyone that goes would pay his own way.
** Arrangements would be hotels/food/routes, and keeping the prices down as much as possible.

IMPORTANT: We have NOT worked out any details, but we have made inquiries and sorta have an idea of what we want to do.

This is not a signup sheet. The reason for this post is only to find out if there is any interest?
Please let us know if you would be interested in going to the Alps with us in (mebbe) 2024?

Ride safe, TED

Last edited:
Yahoo. There is interest!

As Cliff sed, (unless a person has someone that will lend) they'll have to be rented.
My Buddy checked into it, and he has some contacts with rental places. Additionally past Travelers still have contacts with Rental Places that gave them discounts.
Working thru those I think we can get best prices.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I 've rode at 2 GCE/Alps Rolling Rallys. GCE (GTR Club Europe) / Mika put them on, and he was a GREAT organizer.
Our hopes are to ride similar areas.

Here is the Video from one of those rides. It shows the type of roads and scenery.

You'll notice that some of these are very technical roads.
But, my old butt was able to do them.

Ride safe, Ted

I 've rode at 2 GCE/Alps Rolling Rallys. GCE (GTR Club Europe) / Mika put them on, and he was a GREAT organizer.
Our hopes are to ride similar areas.

Here is the Video from one of those rides. It shows the type of roads and scenery.

You'll notice that some of these are very technical roads.
But, my old butt was able to do them.

Ride safe, Ted
That was an awesome trip!! My old butt was able to do them also. :D

I also went in 2016. On that Alps Rally, we started in Livigno Italy and ended the Rally at Monaco France.

That Route; (Travels North to South)

Mika tried to do groups based on wants, but I'm unsure if they actually worked out exactly as planned.
ie; My group/the Touring Group ran a more err spirited/carving pace.

My first trip was with the OtP Travelers (Al and Charlie) in 2015. (My wife and I went as Tag-a-longs)
Some photo's attached. (I have 100's!!)
..Al and Charlie impressing the locals.
..Some drinking was involved.
..Texicanizing our German Buddies.
..We rode a "LOT". (Passo Stevio)

Attachments

• DSC00249.JPG
    DSC00249.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00206.JPG
    DSC00206.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00040.JPG
    DSC00040.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20150724_131325.jpg
    20150724_131325.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I was the light weight. Couldn't keep up with the Locals if I wanted to!

Ok, needing some thoughts/questions/idea's.
ie; Hard for me to think of things to type, without having questions to answer.
I see 6 names, need names that are "interested".
(These would be "I might want to go", not "I will go" notes).

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
IMPORTANT: We have NOT worked out any details, but we have made inquiries and sorta have an idea of what we want to do.

This is not a signup sheet. The reason for this post is only to find out if there is any interest?
Please let us know if you would be interested in going to the Alps with us in (mebbe) 2024?

Ride safe, TED

Ted, I think you should have enough interest, especially since it is 2 years out. If you could let us know what you are thinking of doing, I think that would help potential participants make a decision. A basic/loose itinerary would be helpful. Also some basic costs would be helpful as well, as some may not be aware of what those may be. The wild card in this, as of now, is Covid, I know several EU countries locked down but have loosened up their travel restrictions as of late. Also, if any of these countries still require you be vaccinated. I know it is two years away and hopefully all this will be behind us, but you can only go on what the current restrictions are.

I might be interested.

Concerns:
  • Covid restrictions or any other vaccines required.
  • Passport requirements
  • License requirements
  • Insurance requirements
  • Special riding gear, do we bring our own?
  • Cell phone requirements, limitations
  • Do we need driver training to drive on the wrong side of the road?
  • Do's/Don't's
  • Can't's/Wont's
  • More as I think of them...

Thanx Kurt/Harry.
I'll start with Harry's questions as their quicker /easier to answer.
  • Covid restrictions or any other vaccines required.
We won't know the requirements for Covid/Vaccines until 2024. My guess is they will be less than now.
As Kurt mentioned, some Countries we enter may also have some requirements.
  • Passport requirements
Passports will be required to enter Europe.
As we cross the borders between the Countries, Passports could be required.
Your passport should be with you at all times while there.
I had it with me and used it to get on the airplane, but no one ever looked at mine after I arrived.
  • License requirements
I went by Tripple A (AAA) and picked up an International Driver's License before my trips because one is required to drive/ride in Eu.
It's just some paperwork and a few $$ to get it. No one ever looked at it.
  • Insurance requirements
You will pay for Bike insurance when you rent the bike.
I didn't rent, but Russ did. (Hoping he can supply more info).

I purchased Travelers Insurance for each trip. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
(Travelers insurance covers *medical insurance/flight or Trip cancellations/lost gear/other)
**Medical insurance; If needed, your USA Insurance may not be accepted and you would have to pay Cash.
,,,, In our case, the Travelers insurance helped us when our gear was lost on the flight).
  • Special riding gear, do we bring our own?
You bring your own, and it's best to keep it light as you have to haul it with you on the flight.
I used a Boots/Gloves/helmet/mesh Riding jacket/Riding pants/riding shorts. It may be cold in the passes. I had shirts/pants to layer up with when needed. Some like a full riding suit, but the light gear worked for me.
  • Cell phone requirements, limitations
Talk to your cell Phone carrier before you go. I paid X $$ for limited number of minutes.
Additionally each Motel should have Wifi. You can their Wifi & those costs should be free.
  • Do we need driver training to drive on the wrong side of the road?
We're not going to England, so all the riding will be on the correct side of the road.
I'm not aware of any training available in the states (??), but I highly suggest studying street signs for Europe. (Some will baffle you)
Eu signage should be available thru the Internet.
  • Do's/Don't's
(As we move toward the actual trip)
Do ask questions.
Do plan ahead as much as possible.
Do watch for deals on flights.
Do start saving $$ for the trip / won't be cheap.
Do start thinking/searching for things that you would particularly want to do while there.
Do take several different Charge Cards as sometimes one may not be accepted and having another will get you gas/etc when needed.

Do NOT take too much stuff. Everything you take will be hauled with you on your bike.
Do NOT think that Eu is the same riding style as here. They have different riding customs/styles.

NOTE: We may be able to arrange a place to store gear/suitcases etc.
The issue is, not everyone will be arriving at the same spot.
  • Can't's/Wont's
I suggest riding Solo. If your VERY experienced with Wife on the back, maybe ok, but can be pretty difficult. (Particularly on the tight switchbacks).
Many of the switchbacks in the mountains are tighter/steeper/blind/ than any you have experienced in the USA, and there are far more of them. On one of your trips, an experienced guy that lived in Germany fell over (with his wife on the back) while going up Stelvio.
Result was a Broken Ankle and an Emergency helicopter ride to the hospital.
Luckily it was his ankle, not hers!

I also suggest a smaller bike than a C-14. (Roughly 600-900 cc's)
ie; I rode a BMW K1200LT on the first trips. It was a big touring bike named the Blue Whale.
It was named that for a reason. (About 800 lbs)
It was very comfortabl, and had a heated seat/big windshield. The wife loved it when she was with me. But it was a HEAVY handful in the twisties.

On the last trip I rode an 2006ish Honda CBF-600.
I had a BLAST in the Twisties :D and I was able to keep up fine with the bigger bikes (particularly in the twisties).
It was more than ok on the Autobahn. (I/it liked to Rev!!)

Speaking of the Autobahn. I know that anyone that hasn't been to Europe will want to ride the Autobahn as fast as they can go.
:devilish: Woo hoooooooooo...
Because I know that; We "will" do some miles on the Autobahn so that everyone can get it off their bucket list.
And then, we'll stay as far away from it as possible!
ie; We're looking for scenic/twisty roads thru old European towns, not 4 lane highways.
NOTE (Not all, in fact, "few" Autobahns allow unlimited speed)

• More as I think of them...

Your last question leads to Kurts note. (Next note)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
An-udder techie question about cell phones.
My phone has VPN. Will it tunnel through to make a cheap call? I can make my phone think I'm still int the states (USA). Would it still work?
Maybe someone else knows cause that question will make Ted's head explode.

Ted, I think you should have enough interest, especially since it is 2 years out. If you could let us know what you are thinking of doing, I think that would help potential participants make a decision. A basic/loose itinerary would be helpful. Also some basic costs would be helpful as well, as some may not be aware of what those may be. The wild card in this, as of now, is Covid, I know several EU countries locked down but have loosened up their travel restrictions as of late. Also, if any of these countries still require you be vaccinated. I know it is two years away and hopefully all this will be behind us, but you can only go on what the current restrictions are.

I haven't really started working on the date nor route.

Date; We will want to go when the Mountain Passes are open. {In June/July they are sometimes still closed due to snow}. We were lucky x3..
On the trips I made, I went in June/July. Partially because the Passes should have been open. (On one trip we had to do an alternate route due to snow), but we made it thru).
This worked well, except that the Tour de France was going on.
Because of the Tour, it was harder for Mika to arrange lodging and "{{everyone that can ride a bicycle up the mountain, WILL BE doing it!}}"

Route: Well probably start and end in Northern Italy. Between those days, we'll cover parts of Italy/France/Austria/Other(??).
We'll stay at 3-5 locations. At each location we'll ride the area for 1-3 days. After those 1-3 days we'll load up and move to another stop and repeat the procedure.

Update; A friend of ours Roger) is getting ready to do this Blue Rim Tour in Eu. Woo Hoo!!!

His route is similar to the Route that I'm thinking of, and it gave me an idea of another option.
ie; Mebbe arrange OtP II thru Blue Rim Tours and let them do the arranging?
Looking at their prices, it would be more expensive than doing it ourselves, but we would have guides.
Thoughts??

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Doing it our way;
Costs while at Rally; I'm guessing a LOT and attempting to guess a bit high.
Flights; Approx. $1000-1500 per person.
Traveler insurance; $300 per person
Passport/International License; $100
Bike rental; $500 - $2000 (Dependent on bike size and length of stay)
Lodging; $100 per person/per night. (When possible, Breakfast and Supper will be included at the Motel)
Gas; $80-100 per day. (Gas in Eu. will probably be over $7.00 per gallon mebbe $8.00+)
Trinket's/keepsakes; $50 per day. (Dependent on how many T-shirts you bring home).
Food; $50 -$100 per day (Dependent on what and where you eat)
Beer; $10-$20 per day; (Dependent on your needs, and how many beers you buy for the guy that's arranging this).
(Normally we had a social gathering at the Motel each night.)

This is what I came up with.
Rough Rider total for the rally week (7-9 Days); approx. $6000-7000
,,,,,(Includes Flight/Passport/Int License/Lodging/Bike/Insurance/Food/Gas/Beer/Trinkets)
Rough Passenger total for the rally week (7-9 Days); approx. $4000-5000
,,,,(Includes Flight/Passport/Int License/Lodging/Bike/Insurance/Food/Gas/Beer/Trinkets)
If you *arrive early or *stay late, (you've already paid to get there) so the costs per day should be approx. $400 per day.
,,,,(Includes Flight/Passport/Int License/Lodging/Bike/Insurance/Food/Gas/Beer/Trinkets)

** Arrive early or stay late.
Highly recommended that you arrive early to get acclimated and/or to travel to the meeting point.
I also recommend that you stay late because you've already spent the $$ to get here, and you might have thought of something special to see. Both are well worth the extra days!

OK, That was my guess.
Other past Travelers, please look at my guess and let me know if I'm close.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanx Roger. Enjoy your trip!
We'll be waiting for your report.

OK, all. You have the idea to look over and ponder.
What we need now is, more people to let us know that they would be interested, and more questions (???)

Ride safe, Ted

Doing it our way;
Costs while at Rally; I'm guessing a LOT and attempting to guess a bit high.
Flights; Approx. $1000-1500 per person.
Traveler insurance; $300 per person
Passport/International License; $100
Bike rental; $500 - $2000 (Dependent on bike size and length of stay)
Lodging; $100 per person/per night. (When possible, Breakfast and Supper will be included at the Motel)
Gas; $80-100 per day. (Gas in Eu. will probably be over $7.00 per gallon mebbe $8.00+)
Trinket's/keepsakes; $50 per day. (Dependent on how many T-shirts you bring home).
Food; $50 -$100 per day (Dependent on what and where you eat)
Beer; $10-$20 per day; (Dependent on your needs, and how many beers you buy for the guy that's arranging this).
(Normally we had a social gathering at the Motel each night.)

This is what I came up with.
Rough Rider total for the rally week (7-9 Days); approx. $6000-7000
,,,,,(Includes Flight/Passport/Int License/Lodging/Bike/Insurance/Food/Gas/Beer/Trinkets)
Rough Passenger total for the rally week (7-9 Days); approx. $4000-5000
If you *arrive early or *stay late, (you've already paid to get there) so the costs per day should be approx. $400 per day.

** Arrive early or stay late.
Highly recommended that you arrive early to get acclimated and/or to travel to the meeting point.
I also recommend that you stay late because you've already spent the $$ to get here, and you might have thought of something special to see. Both are well worth the extra days!

OK, That was my guess.
Other past Travelers, please look at my guess and let me know if I'm close.

Ride safe, Ted
Hey Ted,
This total looks pretty right on — especially being conservative and guessing a little high. Here are my notes on a few of the items — based on my 2.5 weeks there in 2017.
Flights: Ours were ~$650 each round trip from the West Coast to Amsterdam. OMC was our travel agent. Prices have risen.
Insurance: Had none.
Passport/Int. License: yep, $100 for the license, got in at AAA.
Lodging: Ours was close to $25 each per night, sharing a room. A few hotels in larger towns approached $100 each, but rarely. None served supper. Most served breakfast of coffee and some cold meats, cheese, bread.
Gas: It’s currently running close to $7 a gallon in EU (wasn’t much different in 2017). But while rides are long, mileage seemed low by US standards. $80 a day seems a bit high, but it also depends on the bike.
Trinkets: Up to the rider, but you’ll probably have no room to carry many extra T-shirts.
Food and beer: Our food costs were on the lower end of the range, but we ate off the beaten path and paid more local prices and restaurants where the menus were all in German. Beer totals — I have no recollection and will provide no corroborating evidence.
One other cost to factor is road tolls and fees. You need an Autobahn tag if you want to play, that was like $30 or $40 for a few days. Then a number of the Alpine roads actually go into national parks and there is a cost for entry, usually another $20+ each. There were also parking and entry fees for some of the tourist stops — some days none, others more like $20-$30 a day.

Sounds like fun!

With everything that's been said it seems that the Bluerim is the way to go. Unless Roger's report says otherwise. That's a huge amount of logistics to try to tie down, and basically just one or two people can do it. If everyone is involved in planning it turns into endless discussions. From what I can determine the Bluerim is about 1k more (airfare). For that 1k you just show up and smile.

Thanx for the input.
Santacruz; When we went previously, Mika made all the arrangements. The Motel Bill was a bit lower than the $100 I listed, and Mika had negotiated meals at each Motel (meals were included in the $100).
I'm not talking cheese and crackers. (These were some really good meals with a choice at each).

I guessed at the gas $$ total per day as (unlike Blue Rim) my plan is more miles and less sight seeing.
Airline tickets etc are a heck of a lot more than they were when we went previously, and I added $$ everywhere to cover everything I could think of.
Guessed at Bike rental costs. Need Russ to post better numbers as he's always rented and I didn't.
Hopefully, I included everything, and I'm prolly $500-$1000 above what the actually cost would be.
(Note; Flights/insurance/passport/license would all be paid before we go, so out of pocket "while there" would be considerably below my total.)
==============================================================
Laker; I kinda agree with the Blue Rim idea.
Blue Rim Plusses; Established Tour Company.
NOTE: I'm pretty sure that they would arrange an "all COG" trip if we asked.

Blue Rim Concerns; Trying to keep costs down. An extra $1000 would prevent some from affording the trip.
Do tours of 12 bikes max. We might have more going than 12.
NOTE: Rodger gave me his expected costs for his BR trip and it's quite a bit above what Blue Rim shows.
(as he included everything and will be extend his trip to 2 weeks)

But I have some Aces/info you don't. (below).

(Before I posted the question, I did some research/initial planning).
My ace's in the hole;
1) Many of you may remember Fais? He moved to Italy and has started a small Tour Business, and by 2024 he'll be well established.
Fais agreed to do all the arrangements.
2) Mika (did the arrangements for the past GCE Alps Rallies) has agreed to help Fais with information/contacts/routes.
3) Bernd/Gie/Hans ("B" Led me on my trips) All could provide input to Fais.
4) We could arrange this ride thru/with GCE. (They have a system in place) and know things we couldn't possibly know.
Additionally, it would give us the chance to meet some of our past OtP Riders.

Ride safe, Ted

Well then the Aces have it! Fais is a hoot. And you are correct, the trip could be tailored to COG and more riding, less sight seeing. I was worried more about the planning/planner. But this scenario covers it.

Ok...here I go.... Having a person(s) plan the trip that has experience and local knowledge of the roads where you travel is a huge plus! Mika, Fais, Gie, Hans and Bernd are fantastic and excited to plan these rides. The GCE community are cool riders/people that enjoy our company while riding in their areas! I did an Alps trip in 2016 and 2018 with friends including Ted... :p and they were awesome with terrific memories! When renting a motorcycle to ride in the Alps and neighboring countries, smaller is better. In 2016 we rented Yamaha FJ-09's and they were perfect. In 2018 we wanted the Yamahas again but they were not available. I had an Africa Twin 1000 that really was fantastic also. Costs run around 100-125 per day (depending on the bike) with insurance though prices have gone up I am guessing. I do have a dealer in Germany outside of Munich that will likely still give us a good deal if we have several rentals. Smaller bikes are cheaper too, easier to navigate and fun to ride. A 600-750cc bike would be just fine there also. We all ran solo.

Ted's estimates of costs are pretty close. We were kind of a frugal group that got some great deals that included breakfast and dinner. Ours included the rental of bikes which I think- Cost in 2016- a little over 5K for 12 days for the two of us and in 2018 with 5 extra days of rentals and hotels was closer to 6K. I bought a lot of stickers and only one shirt. That includes everything. In 2018 our group (5 persons) was there 17 days. It's soo fun to visit and ride in the Swiss, French and Italian Alps! The sights are unbelievable. You should extend the ride at the start to get used to your rental and time differences and at the end if possible. I very highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys motorcycling and can afford it!

Thank you. I may be in contact if/as we work on details.
At this stage, I'm trying to see if there is enough interest to continue.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Austria was beautiful!

Ok...here I go.... Having a person(s) plan the trip that has experience and local knowledge of the roads where you travel is a huge plus! Mika, Fais, Gie, Hans and Bernd are fantastic and excited to plan these rides. The GCE community are cool riders/people that enjoy our company while riding in their areas! I did an Alps trip in 2016 and 2018 with friends including Ted... :p and they were awesome with terrific memories! When renting a motorcycle to ride in the Alps and neighboring countries, smaller is better. In 2016 we rented Yamaha FJ-09's and they were perfect. In 2018 we wanted the Yamahas again but they were not available. I had an Africa Twin 1000 that really was fantastic also. Costs run around 100-125 per day (depending on the bike) with insurance though prices have gone up I am guessing. I do have a dealer in Germany outside of Munich that will likely still give us a good deal if we have several rentals. Smaller bikes are cheaper too, easier to navigate and fun to ride. A 600-750cc bike would be just fine there also. We all ran solo.

Ted's estimates of costs are pretty close. We were kind of a frugal group that got some great deals that included breakfast and dinner. Ours included the rental of bikes which I think- Cost in 2016- a little over 5K for 12 days for the two of us and in 2018 with 5 extra days of rentals and hotels was closer to 6K. I bought a lot of stickers and only one shirt. That includes everything. In 2018 our group (5 persons) was there 17 days. It's soo fun to visit and ride in the Swiss, French and Italian Alps! The sights are unbelievable. You should extend the ride at the start to get used to your rental and time differences and at the end if possible. I very highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys motorcycling and can afford it!
Russ. Need a little clarification.
You sed; Cost in 2016- a little over 5K for 12 days for the two of us and in 2018 with 5 extra days of rentals and hotels was closer to 6K.

You and Attila came over in 2016 and 2018?
In 2016 you each spent about $5000 for everything (including flight/bike). Was in Eu for 12 days.
In 2018 you each spent about $6000 for everything (including flight/bike). Was in Eu for 17 days.

{because of increased costs} That matches up pretty well with my guesstimate for 2024 with everything included. 7-9 day = approx. $6000-7000
If stay was extended to 12 days (@ $400 per day) could be $7200 - $8200.
If stay was extended to 15 days (@ $400 per day) could be $8400 - $9400.

NOTE: I'm intentionally trying to guess on the high side so that there are no surprises.

Ride safe, Ted

Russ. Need a little clarification.
You sed; Cost in 2016- a little over 5K for 12 days for the two of us and in 2018 with 5 extra days of rentals and hotels was closer to 6K.

You and Attila came over in 2016 and 2018?
In 2016 you each spent about $5000 for everything (including flight/bike). Was in Eu for 12 days.
In 2018 you each spent about $6000 for everything (including flight/bike). Was in Eu for 17 days.

{because of increased costs} That matches up pretty well with my guesstimate for 2024 with everything included. 7-9 day = approx. $6000-7000
If stay was extended to 12 days (@ $400 per day) could be $7200 - $8200.
If stay was extended to 15 days (@ $400 per day) could be $8400 - $9400.

NOTE: I'm intentionally trying to guess on the high side so that there are no surprises.

Ride safe, Ted

For 2016 It was a little over 5K each and 2018 about 6K each. I know it was less than $400.00 per day for us but I understand what you are saying.

Gents, wow what a thread! Yes, I'm interested! You were right Ted, I should have paid attention sooner. This gives us plenty of lead time to plan which villa, vineyard or villaggio to stash wives and kiddos for 2 weeks. Will be a trip to remember! Looking forward to moving the needle forward on this. Cheers, AB

Haven't done much with this idea lately.
But I have talked; To Fais and some of my contacts in Eu. about idea's.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,To others that might be interested in going.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,To my Wife. Who sed she might let me go. (again)

NOTE: In order to plan such a trip, we need about 30-45 to express Interest in going with us.
,,,,,,,,,, (This would ensure that maybe 15 would actually go)
At this point, we have only about 10 that are interested in going.
So, I'm doing this post to see if more people will show an interest.

Ride safe, Ted (SRCA Founder/President)

PS: Did I mention that the scenery is amazing, the roads are OMG!!, and the Beer we drank in the Eu. was some of the best I have ever had?
(Hint, hint)

Attachments

• DSC00160.JPG
    DSC00160.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC00206.JPG
    DSC00206.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20150720_130928.jpg
    20150720_130928.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 78
On my first trip we did exactly that. Two similar, but different trips.
We flew to Germany and met our friends/Bernd & Anette.
Bernd and I traveled together, Anette and my Wife/Judy traveled together.
We did 2 different, but similar area trips.
During that time, we met periodically and then we did a 1 week together on the bikes to attend GCE's Tour de Twist rally in Holland.

Something like this could be arranged, but it would be very difficult for "me" to arrange 2 different Trips.
Heck, the logistics of 1 is almost impossible.

(Thinking out loud)
As we progress with a list of "Interested in Participating" some of those that are interested (with wife's) could discuss the possibility of such a trip.
We could assist {and work with} them in that planning, and we could assist them in contacting other's that want to participate.
Bottom line; It's a possibility.

BUT: I first need a list of people that are interested in making the trip.

Last edited:
I don't know teD...I may be able to afford it if'n I use yur credit card, if'n you still have credit. That's an arm and a leg for me. If I run out of money and turn to canniblizm, I may have to eat one of your arms. That would make riding a bit challenging i think (for you).

I'm mulling this over as I watch my 401K tank.

I'm thinking positive.
By 2024, our 401K's will have returned to their original values/growth.

(More challenging, "yes". But I can outride you with only 1 arm). <grin>

I've been talking with another buddy in Eu/Belgium/ "Gie".
Some of you may know Gie? He was Bernd's Nanny when Bernd made his OtP ride.
I Rode with him when he was here and also when we Rode over there.
The man can RIDE! Great ride leader!

If anyone is interested?? He's arranging a Scotland Rally for next year.
Slots are filling up fast.

Harry, you should go! (and stay) 😝

Ride safe, Ted

I'd love to go back bunkie.
So much to take in every day it flew by. I loved the pace and hustle but that didn't leave much time for taking in the view. I could do without visiting every church in EU but Bernd was the best host. 24 straight days of riding and the Alps still occupy my dreams years later.
Count me in

More of Al enjoying Alps.
In 1 he's err communing with Nature.
In 2 he's err singing; "The Hill's are Alive with the sound of Music".
3 is After following me to the top of Stelvio.
4 is Bratwurst Museum with his "betters". (Ted and Charlie)

Attachments

• DSC00128.JPG
    DSC00128.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20150725_102508.jpg
    20150725_102508.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 20150724_131507.jpg
    20150724_131507.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 86
  • SAM_0334.JPG
    SAM_0334.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
My first trip was with the OtP Travelers (Al and Charlie) in 2015. (My wife and I went as Tag-a-longs)
Some photo's attached. (I have 100's!!)
..Al and Charlie impressing the locals.
..Some drinking was involved.
..Texicanizing our German Buddies.
..We rode a "LOT". (Passo Stevio)
That's a great picture of Bernd.

Looks like a dream trip. Doesn't get much better than that. I remember when I lived in Mannheim running through the Black Forest and up around Hockenheim the roads were fun and the views spectacular. Never thought to take my ZX10 up into the Alps though. I was more into topping it out between 300 to 310 kph on the Autobahn and trying to outrun my Army and Air Force buddies on the Nordschleife.

I don't know Ted, (comma placement is everything here) I think a ZX10 combined with a properly skilled and motivated rider could be a lot of fun. My emoticons are more like :);):cool::p:D:LOL::ROFLMAO::love:

At that age I was more into Salt Flats outright speed than technical twisties. These days I still like the top speed, but much more enjoy the curves.

I agree with you Ted. It's kind of like the reaction I get when I tell a committed golfer that I lived in Hawaii 10 years and the resorts were frequently throwing tee times at me -- but I don't golf. They are like: what the hell is wrong with you???
Texas Devops -- you have some splainin to do.... :LOL: ...
But I get it. Now I live in a surf mecca and people ask if I surf. Nope, used to, loved it, surfboards don't have cup holders, and those bear hats look dumb, nope...

I agree with you Ted. It's kind of like the reaction I get when I tell a committed golfer that I lived in Hawaii 10 years and the resorts were frequently throwing tee times at me -- but I don't golf. They are like: what the hell is wrong with you???
Texas Devops -- you have some splainin to do.... :LOL: ...
But I get it. Now I live in a surf mecca and people ask if I surf. Nope, used to, loved it, surfboards don't have cup holders, and those bear hats look dumb, nope...

Riding the Alps was for the old dudes. Sorta like I am, and we are, at this point in our lives. Everyone we met who rode the Alps had grey hair. No way in hell were any of us stage 3, full exhaust, swapped sprocket fast group riders going to be caught doing old dude stuff. We raced at wide open throttle down the Autobahn, not putt-putting around some curvy mountain road where there were no chicks to chat up at the bier haus.

I remember those days too. (ie; I was young once).
But now I wish I had done some of the things that I passed up.

This discussion is here to see if anyone else feels the same way.
I need about 30 people to show an interest now. (need about 30 "interested" in order to get 10-15 to actually go when it's time).
Bottom Line; I'm trying to see if there is enough interest to pursue this ride.
NOTE: This may be your chance to "RIDE THE ALPS"!
Who else is interested in "possibly" going with us?

1662908035222.png

Last edited:
Because we enjoyed OtP so much, Hans and I have been talking about (maybe) doing a new OtP project and call it OtP II.

The problem is, we're unsure if anyone would be interested in participating?

OtP
Background;
As many of you know, we did Over the Pond / OtP for about 20 years.
OtP was VERY Successful and about 25 people traveled Over the Pond.

Sadly, OtP is coming to an end.
NOTE: We hope to bring the final OtP Traveler to the COG National soon.
(Covid restrictions have prevented his trip for the last 2 years).

In OtP I, COGgers were nominated/voted on/and $$ were collected (from COG/GCE) to send the winner on a Ride of a Lifetime to Europe. (Or a GCE member came to the USA)

In OtP II the idea is to **arrange a group ride To the Alps for mebbe 15-16 people.
Unlike OtP I, anyone that goes would pay his own way.
** Arrangements would be hotels/food/routes, and keeping the prices down as much as possible.

Ride safe, TED
I am interested Ted

I posted this last year and had to give up on the idea.
But, it's still in the back of my mind as a possibility.

Would like to discuss the idea if there is any interest. {???}

Ride safe, Ted

I posted this last year and had to give up on the idea.
But, it's still in the back of my mind as a possibility.

Would like to discuss the idea if there is any interest. {???}

Ride safe, Ted

I'm still wanting to go back & the wife wants to go so she can meet my German girlfriend. 🫣

Currently the average price now for round trip tickets to Frankfurt is $1,200. Set some dates & they will come!

Our group Ted would likely go! We have not ridden there since 2018! Love the Alps!! The GTR group in Europe are really good people! They always find the best routes, roads, attractions and places to stay! :) (y)

Ok, thanx.
Great to hear from the ones that made the trip before!
Need others to let us know if you would be interested.

NOTE: I'm not making any arrangements yet. Just spit balling idea's.
Really wanting thoughts and idea's.
,,, You that have been there can help me by adding input.
,,,, Those that haven't been there, please ask questions!

Thoughts for the day;
1) Do this as a 2 week+ plan.
2) Co-ordinate 1 week with a GCE Rally. (mebbe "Tour de Twist")
3a) Have a COG/GCE member arrange one week.
,,,,,, (He would lead/arrange motels/routes/& we would arrange bikes)
3b) or; Have a Tour Company in Eu. (used by Roger last year) lead one week.
,,,,,, (They would lead/arrange bikes/routes/motels/& possibly carry luggage.
4) Those that want, could do a group or individual week as they want.

People always ask, how many $$ so, I'll throw out a "guestimate" {for 2 weeks} at about $5000-6000 per person.
If a passenger goes, that cost would be about $4000-$5000. (as the bike $$ is in the first persons cost)
That is NOT calculated, just an educated guess. (Do y'all think my guess is low/high)?

Ride safe, Ted

PS: For those that have never been, here is a video of the trip we made.
We're talking about attempting something similar to this.

Last edited:
People always ask, how many $$ so, I'll throw out a "guestimate" {for 2 weeks} at about $5000-6000 per person.
If a passenger goes, that cost would be about $4000-$5000. (as the bike $$ is in the first persons cost)
That is NOT calculated, just an educated guess. (Do y'all think my guess is low/high)?

I think you're close, the hotel would also be in the first persons for couple as would gas for bike.

My quick/rough research comes up like this based on 14 days, solo $5,050.00, couples $6,950.00. That cost can be cut by sharing rooms or go up depending on alcohol intake.

Plane ticket $1,200.00 - hotel $75.00 per day/$1,050.00 - food $50.00 per day/$700.00 - bike $100.00 per day/$1,400.00 - gas $50.00 per day/$700.00.

Solo
$1,200 ticket
$1,050.00 hotel
$700.00 food
$1,400.00 bike
$700.00 gas
$5,050.00 total

Couple
$2,400 tickets
$1,050.00 hotel
$1,400.00 food
$1,400.00 bike
$700.00 gas
$6,950.00 total

I just finished up a 2 week trip in the Swiss and French Alps. One of the first things people want to know is about what it costs so here it goes.
All of the bike logistics were handled flawlessly by Stefan Knopf tours. I rented a 2016 GSA. I was thrilled to see brand new Touratech (Tractive) suspension and Tourance Next tires.( This may not be typical as he gets his bikes used). He also supplied a good tool kit, puncture repair kit w/compressor, bag liners, hiviz vests(mandatory if you're stopped on the side of the road) and a GPS. He allows you to go almost anywhere in Europe with a couple of obvious exceptions- Russia, Ukraine etc. Also unlimited miles.
The cost for this was $1000 per week for the bike, $240 for full coverage insurance with $1500 deductible.
They will also pick you up and return you to the Frankfurt airport for $100 each way. More than fair considering it's about a 1 hour ride each way plus all the usual large airport ****ing around. Also during the ride in I had the benefit of Stefans son Christopher explaining the differences of driving in Europe. Stefan also gives you a very comprehensive lecture when he gives you the bike.
Last but not least he has a b&b that you can stay at for $80 per night. The place was filled with the most interesting people in the world- bikers from everywhere.
Stefan and Christopher really made the whole thing seamless and easy.
For accommodations I decided to book everything ahead of time. That's not what I usually like to do but it does have its advantages. This is one of the top tourist destinations in the world at high season in a record year for travel. I used booking.com and had no issues at all. I generally look for the cheapest room I can get and I averaged about $90 per night. Rooms were mostly really good. The worst one was still acceptable. I probably could have done better but I didn't start booking til 3 weeks out. Same with my flight.
Figure about another $100 per day for food and gas.
So $2600 for Stefan
$1200 for rooms
$1400 for gas and food
That's $5200 plus whatever kind of deal you can wrangle for airfare for a self guided trip through the Alps

Here's a post I got off of ADVR. This guy just made the trip, so the prices are current & should be fairly accurate since he just made this trip.

What's the dates Ted?

I dunno, but I'm talking with others about mebbe next year.
I've located someone in Eu. that would help us for minimal costs.

Sadly, I can't get e'nuff folks to say their interested to pursue the idea too much.
ie; I need 20 or more to say their interested to arrange a Rally.

Thanks for the info.
It seems a bit higher than I calculated. (I was thinking it would be about 5K including flights)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited: