• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Over the Pond Traveler,,, is "OtP,, "Traveling"

connie_rider

Many of you made it possible for us to send the "OtP" Winner/Cliff to travel to Europe for a ride of a lifetime...
We'll, it's happening now!!!
I didn't see anything posted, so decided to post this as "YOU" made it possible, and "YOU" need to follow some of his trip.

NOTE:
The GTR club is posting most of the ride information on Facebook.
  {I'm new to Facebook and trying to follow along}
Someone {more knowledgeable than me} can help you get into that discussion if you ask?
also,, Someone {more knowledgeable than me} can "please" post some photo's here?

Bottom line. He arrived in Frankfurt Germany and was met by the GCE Club members.
                  {later} He went to the "Kawasaki Days" meeting (I think as a Kawasaki/COG VIP) and was presented a 2019 Versys
                      1000 to ride while he's on his trip.
                  Yahoooo, thank you Mother Kawasaki!!!
                  Currently, he and his hosts are riding somewhere in the backroads of Europe and {I think} working their way towards
                      Belguim.

More later as we learn what's happening...
  ie: Other's {more knowledgeable than me} "please" add information!!!
ie#2:    "HELPPPPPpppp" the Facebook Rookie {me} post info for the supporters to follow!!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Thank you to "everyone" that helped make this possible!!!

Great that Mom stepped up again.  I am sure he is having the time of his life. 
Be sure to consider some of what Kawi has done for the club over the years when you think about your next ride. 

smithr1 said:
Great that Mom stepped up again.  I am sure he is having the time of his life. 
Be sure to consider some of what Kawi has done for the club over the years when you think about your next ride.

Amen to that!!!

Yesterday; it appears that they did a familiarization ride and rode back roads and did some sightseeing southwest of Frankfurt Germany.
                {Bernd posted some grinning Cliff and sightseeing photo's on FB}.

Today; their on the highway system (Autobahn) headed West into Belgium. 

As he's with Bernd: I suspect he'll soon find out how fast that Versys will "go"..

ie: Yesterday the GCE guys showed him how to ride in Europe.
    Today their making miles and headed for Gie's area…. :motonoises:

NOTE: It's near 5:00 PM over there, so their probably approaching the end of their day.
        {I should mention that Gie is happy to show him how good the Belgium beer is at the end of the day}..  :beerchug:

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Will someone please post some photo's????

gsun said:
Get to the Surstromming..... >:D

Traveler Update;
Surstomming tasting is Done!! 
Just saw pictures on the OtP Facebook site with Cliff eating the Stinky Fish.
Hans Ove Gortz {"OtP" Boss} did the err presentation.

Apparently Cliff did ok. Still standing and didn't throw up.
Noted me today that it wasn't too bad, just verrry salty.
Couple of the photo's show how much he enjoyed it.....      :rotflmao:

He also seems to be taking a liking to Belgium bier.
  In the photo's, I see it in his hand and he is smiling a "lot".

Their currently in Belgium at the Tour de Twist Rally.
Will be with that bunch for a few days then move on to another rally.

Most of the mountain Passes have snow in them so not sure yet if he'll be able to ride them.
His Hosts are considering options....  >:D

Cliff reports he likes the Versys.
Sed it's smoother than his Zuki.
Did some miles on the Autobahn on it.
Top speed they rode was about 160 kph. {about 100 mph?}
Enjoys the backroad's more...

Ride safe, Ted

Can someone (more knowledgeable than me) PUleeeze post some photo's???
I are kumputer illiterate.

Nice report Ted! Thank you for the information!

I will check the Facebook page too!

I've been out of town since Friday so checking mail and discussions.
Apparently no one  has posted photo's....

If you do Facebook they are at    OTP Over the Pond COG <-> GCE

I got some sad news today.
One of the past OtP Travelers from Europe {WaJu/Walter Jung} went down today.
Walter is currently in surgery. I have no other details at this time...
Walter is a close friend that I rode with while I was at the Alps Rally. Very experienced rider/VERY good guy....
Will add info when I know more...

While I was out of town, Cliff was with Bernd and attended the Tour de Twist {I think} in Belgium.
Apparently they had a REALLY good time while in that area.
  {If someone would post the photo's all of you could see how good of time they had} HINT / HINT!!!!!
Bernd had to return home to "work"  :-\, and Cliff is now riding with Andree.
Andree  apparently found some Mountain passes that are passable / no snow on roads.
I see photo's/messages of Cliff putting COG stickers on the Pass signs.  :great:

So far, I don't think they made it to Passo Stelvio.
  Stelvio is one of the more technical and will test his skills on the Versys.

More later, Ride safe, Ted

With Ted's help, I finally found the OTP page on facebook.  Don't tell my son I was on his FB account!  I saved all the pics one by one and named them the best I could.  Might be some errors or duplicates.  You'll have that.  Here's a link to the album I created on google photos.  Hope this helps the folks that won't do FB......like me!  Keep checking this link for added pics to the album.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/evbj6GquhCDtPSzZ6

Update.  To see the name of the pic, you have to click the info icon.  HTH

connie_rider said:

Walter is a close friend that I rode with while I was at the Alps Rally. Very experienced rider/VERY good guy....

While I was out of town, Cliff was with Bernd and attended the Tour de Twist {I think} in Belgium.
  {If someone would post the photo's all of you could see how good of time they had} HINT / HINT!!!!!
Andree  apparently found some Mountain passes that are passable / no snow on roads.
I see photo's/messages of Cliff putting COG stickers on the Pass signs.  :great:

Wow, so sorry to hear about Walter. Thoughts and prayers are with him during and after surgery ... days ahead. Please keep us posted on his progress! Thx

Road Runner said:
connie_rider said:

Wow, so sorry to hear about Walter. Thoughts and prayers are with him during and after surgery ... days ahead. Please keep us posted on his progress! Thx

Thank you BUD!!

I looked thru the photo's and tried to find a photo of Walter.
I saw of him (beside his red Goldwing) giving Angie a kiss, and at the near end of a table..

As of 3 hours ago, I was told he is still in surgery.

The photo's of the Surstomming (Stinky fish) is the skin and bones after the meat was removed for them to eat.
  The meat itself looks like normal/rotten fermented fish.
Hans Ove Gortz {OtP Boss} was the master of ceremonies at the Stinky fish tasting.
  In some of the photo's he has the #19 on his black shirt.
Ingegerd {Pronounced Gretchen} is the slender lady kissing Hans. {Chartreuse vest}
Bernd is slim and often wearing Chartreuse riding gear. Rides a BMW 6 cylinder.
Andree was in the blue shirt. {Cowgirl photo}
Richard is the other guy in blue shirt.
Gie is with Cliff as Cliff tried to open an oversized bier.
Judy is the nekked lady on Cliff's bike.  :great:
Also see Uli, Raf, Hans Peter, Ria, Ralf Peter, others....
Cliff is the ugly guy with "slight" balding, puny mustache, and,,,, sick look on his face at the Surstomming/Stinky fish tasting..  :nananana:

More later, Ted

Walter's bike. 
Mercy. :'(

Attachments

• 61841063_685168095251322_1636720222989713408_n.jpg
    61841063_685168095251322_1636720222989713408_n.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 143
Holy crap, anybody know what happened.  I think I saw a post on FB about this, not sure though

Prayers for a complete recovery

This from facebook
Bernd Neumann shared a link.
Admin · 8 hrs
Update: Walter is still in operation room.
His bike is completely destroyed.
It seems, the accident was not his fault.
I hope, everything will become well again.
I am in contact with Angie.
Next update at 9:00 pm...

I cannot understand, how this could happen.
The road (B252) is very wide there. There is enough
space to overtake within the own lane.
The police report says, hat the female driver of the
oncoming car (with 3 children in her Audi A6) left her lane for unknown reasons.
So, Walter crashed into the retaining wall.
I think he had no chance to prevent that accident.

a woman crossed the center line, and face slammed him. No known reason for it happening tho. Woman and 3 kids in car, all ok... Walter... well not so much.

we will know more shortly, Bernd and company are on top of it.... I know it looked horrible, and I read the linked artical from the german news that was linked.. sad part is they stated how much $$ damage to the car, and how much $$ to "property", in the writeup, but I think it may have been lost in translation (auto translate from news page)...

My prayers go out to him, I was trying to pull pictures off my phone, from the '14 rally, with us all smiling, eating Surrstummin, and both him and Richard drinking "fire water", but am having difficulty pulling them off..I have a bunch of photos of us all, enjoying the fun times, and hopefully all will go well, and we can do it again... :truce:

Very sad to see this. I’ll keep him in my prayers and hope he recovers from, what seems to be, a very serious accident.

MAN OF BLUES said:
a woman crossed the center line, and face slammed him. No known reason for it happening tho. Woman and 3 kids in car, all ok... Walter... well not so much.

we will know more shortly, Bernd and company are on top of it.... I know it looked horrible, and I read the linked artical from the german news that was linked.. sad part is they stated how much $$ damage to the car, and how much $$ to "property", in the writeup, but I think it may have been lost in translation (auto translate from news page)...

My prayers go out to him, I was trying to pull pictures off my phone, from the '14 rally, with us all smiling, eating Surrstummin, and both him and Richard drinking "fire water", but am having difficulty pulling them off..I have a bunch of photos of us all, enjoying the fun times, and hopefully all will go well, and we can do it again... :truce:
Put google photos on your phone.  Then dealing with those pics will be easy.  HTH

This from facebook

Update Walter Jung:

Good news:
Surgery went well.
- brain hemorrhage reduced
- cervical spinal stabilized
- multiple fractures of left thigh bone splinted

More operations are needed:
- thigh
- wrist joint

So far, he is stable and the surgeons are satisfied.

Thanks for all good wishes and prayers which you sent for his recovery.

There is a hope, that he will be able to walk again.
For me it seems like a wonder!
Walter did good to ride a bike, which provides the max. protection (incl. Airbag) for such a kind of accident.

Hospital says, that they will slowly awake him now.
Angie is allowed to visit him at afternoon.

NOTE: Walter was not with Cliff when the accident occurred.
          The Tour de twist rally was over and folks were returning home..
              We'll keep you posted on how WaJu / Walter is doing.

Cliff is continuing in his OtP Trip and I think is in the Mountains today.
Should be with Andree..  Trying to find out more about his trip now...

Ride safe, Ted

Prayers for Walter, glad to hear surgery went well!

Thanks for posting the pic, that looks to be one of the new Wings, is that the airbag deployed in the pic? If you're gonna get hit head on by a car, I'd think that would be the best bike to do it on.  :??:

Bud said:
MAN OF BLUES said:

Put google photos on your phone.  Then dealing with those pics will be easy.  HTH

I have it, my newest phone (SamsungS3), does not communicate well, or let me pull from my phones SD chip, to my ancient XP-Pro Dell laptop..  I have them copied from prior, on another laptop, just gotta find them...again...

:mad:

Pics of Walter

Attachments

• Walter & Angie.resized.JPG
    Walter & Angie.resized.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Walter & Bernd.resized.JPG
    Walter & Bernd.resized.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Walter.JPG
    Walter.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 136
connie_rider said:
To all that helped make the trip possible for all the OtP Travelers, watch this video!!!
You made it possible..
Use Big screen/and sound...
We think Cliff is seeing it today.

https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/motorsandtyres/motorcyclists

Ride safe, Ted
Well I watched it Ted.......and now it's YOUR fault that I wanna go!  So hey buddy......next time you're booking your next tour, just change that number 1 to a number 2.  You need a helper right?  You might fall and can't get up! ;D  Some caring soul like me has to be there for you in your times of need. ;)  Just call me Jeeves. :))

From Facebook

Update Walter Jung‘s accident:

News are still good!

Walter can move all extremities - no paralysis 😄!
Cerebral haemorrhage could not be confirmed 😄!
Walter currently cannot speak as his respiration is still artifically supported.

He is under painkiller and reacts delayed, but he reacts 😄!
Walter could recocgnize Angie and reacts on her questions.
He cannot remember, what is happend (normal).

There are more surgeries necessarry at his left thigh and his right forearm due to multible fractions.

Yes, it was a terrible accident!
But all in all, we have good news!
The recovery will take time but he has a chance to get
well again.
I am very thankful to hear that good news!
His guardian angel is really doing a good job!

Great news! :beerchug:

We keep hoping that Cliff will get to do Passo Stelvio as it is on of our favorite and most technical Passes.
Most YouTube videos' that we see, are of someone blasting up the roads.
For your viewing pleasure, I found some video's that show the Stelvio Pass, and distant shots of the roads too..

Here is a video of Stelvio from a drone to show you the beauty and twists of the roads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUvyl5Rg7ds

Here is a video of Stelvio from a bike doing a leisurely ride to show you narrowness and difficulty of the roads.
NOTE: The roads you see are all 2 way...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AJGCkWoK1U

Here is a video of Stelvio from a bike at about the pace we tried to do.
NOTE: A bike fell over at 50 seconds at a switchback. This video shows the difficulty of the {mostly blind} switchbacks.
NOTE: How far the swing out to get around them... {and to dodge cars/busses/*^&%$^& bicycles}
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzV8yiU5Ouc

Here is a video from COGger Jack P's bike, coming down Stelvio. Hang on!!  {NOTE: Start at the beginning}
I am NOT capable of this speed. Most sane people aren't...  :nananana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYoHDSQfkN0&t=303s

Ride safe, Ted

From Facebook

Update Walter‘s accident;

Walter is stabil.
He is breathing independly.
and he is conscious.
O.k., due to the long surgery and the pain medicine he
is a little desorientated. He does not realize, what‘s happend. All his thought are concentrated on Angie, his new love. He wants to be sure, that nothing happened to her.
But she was not along.
He was on the journey to his dealer (Fuchs, Usseln) to change tires and do some maintanance.
I did the same this week (tire change, technical inspection).

Angie visited him yesterday.
He reacted, but could not speak due to artificial respiration.

Walter rode one of the most expensive motorbikes, we can get. It was a good invest. It saved his live for sure.

I would understand if we will never again see him on a motorbike after two serious accidents within just 3 years.

But I would be happy to ride together with him and Angie again. Motorbike riding is his high passion.

Thanks for your good recovery wishes and your prayers.
It seems, it helped

Sounds like good news on Walter.  :great:

Cliff and Andre are high in the Mountains today.
Update from Bernd;

André and Cliff are currently doing a great job to ride as much as possible alp passes to put COG stickers on every summit (pass) sign. The signs of last year had to be replaced (due to all the COG and Texas stickers, which Ted already put on).
Thanks to André for showing Cliff all that nice roads.
I am sure, he will come back together with his wife and show her Europe.
OTP is great!
Next week there was an overnight stay planned at Walter‘s (OTPer 2014) house in Bad Laasphe - Puderbach. There others wanted to meet Cliff (Wolfram (OTPer 2009), Bernd (OTPer 2011), Anette (OTPer 2016).
Due to Walter’s accident this is cancelled.
We’ll find an alternative!

Ride safe, Ted

Yesterday, Cliff and Andre became separated at a Round-About.  :-[

The Eu/OtP Team stepped in and are offering advise/routes.
    ie; Cliff is navigating on his own and doing well.
  He said to post this; All is well & was a great day for a motorcycle ride today.
          About 225 kms, & 1/2 or more in the rain.

ie; He attempted Stelvio today, but weather conditions prevented him getting to the pass.
                  Rain/snow, roads blocked, and cold as heck.. {Having a GREAT time!}

He is staying in Pfunds Austria tonight, and {I think} headed for Nauders Austria tomorrow.
              :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

He has learned the main German words he needs to survive his ordeal...
  Ein bier, bitte?  :great:  :beerchug:

Alles ist gut!!  :)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Last update on Walter is; he is improving and moved to a room.
              I think Angie is able to see him regularly now.

Update Walter‘s accident:  June 10

Just to inform you.
Walter was already sitting upright again on the bed edge for a short while. He adviced me to come to Bollendorf with our camper van and the E-bycicles.
Yes, he is right. It would be much less dangerous - but also much less fun.
I don‘t want to die by a heart attack on my living room couch.

Wolfram and Anette will come along to take care of me.
I am very thankful, that Walter and Angie accompanied me on my way back from the Tour de Twist. Nothing happend.
I am so sad, that he is now in hospital and his beauty is a total loss. OTOH I am very happy that he survived his terrible crash. Walter had no chance too prevent it, as the oncoming driver crashed into him frontally on Walter‘s lane.

Fortunately he was riding the best bike available to survive that kind of accident. Good that he invested all the money to get such a heavy bike with an installed airbag.

Thanks again for all your prayers and good recovery wishes...

I hope, the young love, shown on Magic‘s pic will still exist for a long time.

Cliff is not able to post photo's to FB, so I haven't seen many.
Yesterday, Cliff traveled North {back into Germany} and I think hooked up with Thomas.
Today he traveled {I think with Thomas} to Bolendorf {sp?} for the GCE Rally there.
Bolendorf is at the border of Germany and Luxembourg.
There are supposed to be about 60 attendee's at the Rally.
Bernd will be there and I suspect will send us more photo's.

Other than being slightly lost for a few days everything is going great.
Luckily Cliff's a very experienced traveler and was able to continue after they became separated.
Thanks to all that made his trip possible!!

Ride safe, Ted

The last photo's appear to be the breakfast gathering.
NOTE: They have a bit different breakfast than we do here.
          Normally sliced meat/cheese/bread/boiled egg/vegetables/juice/coffee.
          I see several friends I know, their wife's, and 1 past OtP Traveler {Wolfram}.

Ride safe, Ted

From Facebook

Bernd Neumann is with Walter Jung.
Admin · 6 hrs
Walter‘s accident update:

Walter will be operated again today.
Leg, arm, wrist and possibly spinal have to be repaired.

Walter is still often a little desoriented and developes a lung infection (pneumonia).
He sent greetings to the German GTR meeting @ Burg Bollendorf and promised to pay 2 beers for everyone who guides Cliff Burnette these days instead of him on one of the next gatherings.

Please cross your fingers for him...

Attachments

• Walter Sitting.jpg
    Walter Sitting.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 104
Thanx Bud....

In the last photo today {the one with Cliff leaning against the pole/flag} I wondered if he had a little bit too much German bier.
    I then noticed the flag has a Kawasaki emblem on it and he was posing with that.
      Yea,,, righttttt!

In other photo's I see that Bernd and Wolfram's bier glasses are empty.    :c002:
I immediately sent Cliff word to get busy and buy them more!
  {ie; Part of being an "OtP" Travelers duties is to keep our Eu friends happy! Particularly the "OtP" Eu lead!}

fyi; At the GCE Rally's; they do daily group/led rides.
                                      Some photo's your seeing are during those rides.
                                  The Hotel supplies breakfast and dinner.
                                      Some photo's your seeing are of those meals.
                                  Everyone gathers in the Hotel dining area or Courtyards for evening bier.
                                      Some photo's your seeing are of those gatherings.
                                        {Cliff is the guy in the funny hat...}

Ride safe, Ted

Cliff sent word last night that Walter came out of surgery fine.
No other updates since that time.

Bernd sent a picture with Cliff in Bastogne...

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Cliff sent word last night that Walter came out of surgery fine.
No other updates since that time.

Bernd sent a picture with Cliff in Bastogne...

Ride safe, Ted
[/quote

Great to hear; God speed on his recovery!

The Rally ended today and everyone headed for home.
Spot shows that Cliff is back in Frankfurt with Bernd/Anette.
No word from anyone..

I think he flies home tomorrow or the day after.

Ride safe, Ted

Everybody brace yourselves!
Cliff is headed back to the US of A.....
                  :41:

I have to admit though. He shocked me, and did 1 classy thing..
ie; When he returned the bike to Kawasaki, he took them gifts.
                Well done Cliff!!  :bravo_2:

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Kawasaki was ashamed of that old hat he was wearing,, and gave him another. {That sez "KAWASAKI"..}  :great:

If anyone hasn't been able to see the OTP photo album, PM me with your email address or cell number and we'll try a different way.
Bud

I figured out my viewing issue.  It was a google photo area and one of my google accounts has access to somethings blocked.  Apparently google photos is one of them.  I switched to my unblocked account and was able to see them fine.  Sorry for the scare.

connie_rider said:
Everybody brace yourselves!
Cliff is headed back to the US of A.....
                  :41:
Ride safe, Ted

PS: Kawasaki was ashamed of that old hat he was wearing,, and gave him another. {That sez "KAWASAKI"..}  :great:

I'm back!  :) What a amazing trip it was. It will take sometime for me to soak in everything I saw. I did make some new European friends that I will keep in touch with.

Do your part to support OTP. Someday it might be you taking this trip of a lifetime!  :motonoises:

Just Cliff said:
Bud said:

Thanks for the pictures Bud, I haven't seen the OTP FB page.
Your welcome Cliff!  Some of us don't do facebook.  I just wanted folks that don't to be able to see some of the places you had been.  You can have those pics printed and bound in a book if desired.  I don't think it costs too much.  Glad you made it back home safely! :great:

Welcome back Cliff. Glad you had a good time.  :great:
Can you post some of your photo's here? 
      Correction; Can you get your daughter to post some of your photo's here?

Ride safe, Ted

PS:    Have you gotten over the Jet Lag yet?  :rotflmao:

A google album with all the pics would be nice! :)  Easier than posting individual pics.

Welcome home Cliff!  if the pictures are any indication, it looks like you had a great time! :beerchug: 

Welcome back, Cliff. Have fun with decompression.

On TDY near Rapid City SD. Gonna play in the hills for a week or so.