• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Overheating

tmm2good

Tricycle
Hi all, Did a search and could not find anything specific regarding this. Started up Connie last night for a ride and noticed some steam/mist rising from the front end. On my ride I caught a few whiffs of what i assumed to be anti-freeze. The temp gauge was running hotter than normal at stops as well, the outside temp was in the 40's, so as long as I kept moving, the temp stayed down ok. I looked underneath while it was running and did not see any dripping. There is no puddle under it in the garage either.  Any idea where I should start looking? thermostat ?

1st thing I would check is the reserve tank under the left side cowl. You should be able to see it thou the vent. Then you will have starting point, if it is low I would start for a leak. the best time to check is rifht after you turn off the engine when it is hot. That is when a cooling builds up the highest pressure.
Hope this helps.

I noticed a 2011 off the show room floor getting a new water pump with zero miles, it had been leaking setting there. Not much onto the floor but kind of weaping out onto the back of the body panel and leaving a white stain...

Started her up and ran it until hot, 1 mark past the midpoint on the gauge. Fan started up, ran and shut off then ran again. Overflow tank looks ok, it is about 3/4 full. Did not smell as bad this time. Might have to go for a little ride to see what it does. Just do not want to do any damage, but it looks like it might have been nothing.

I'd suggest you check the level in the radiator itself, not what is in the overflow tank. It sounds like you may have a leak or hole in your radiator and have lost fluid. The fluid level may now be below the level of where the leak occurred. You'll need to remove the right side plastic to access the radiator cap. Then you should inspect the fluid level in the radiator, and fill it if it is low. I suspect when you fill it up and then start it, that you'll find the source of the leak.

Thanks, I will give that a try when I get some time to dig into removing plastic. Supposed to snow this weekend so maybe I will have a chance.

I know you said the reservoir was 3/4 full but make sure. I had to change the radiator due to a rock and experienced the smell for a while. I'm pretty sure I overfilled the reservoir and it was dripping from the overflow until the level went down. Just a thought