• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PA - Meet, Greet, and Covered Bridges! 11/23

motonerd14

Street Cruiser
Hi folks!  :s_hi:

Just posted this up on the calendar: http://cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetailPublic2.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=195281&mo=11&tDate={d%20%272013-11-11%27}

Continuing the tradition of alternating between New Jersey and Pennsylvania, this month, on Saturday the 23rd, we're having our Meet & Greet at the Eagle Diner on Rt 202, in New Hope, PA. Meetup is at 9:30am, followed by a fun ride through some of Bucks County's famous Covered Bridges. I'm also going to try to fit Van Sant airfield into the mix as well.

Ride will end in Frenchtown, NJ, for coffee and "Antiquing!" for those who are interested. Looking forward to seeing you all there, as this might be one of the last (somewhat) warm days of the year.

I'm planning on going as of right now, hopefully nothing gets in the way of another possible riding day

Brass said:
I'm planning on going as of right now, hopefully nothing gets in the way of another possible riding day

Great! Look forward to seeing you there. Bring a friend. Frenchtown is a really nice place to walk around in after the ride.

I might just be able to do this one, and it would be great to meet other Connie owners in the area.  I've put it on my calendar and hope to see you guys there!

Dan said:
I might just be able to do this one, and it would be great to meet other Connie owners in the area.  I've put it on my calendar and hope to see you guys there!

Wonderful! What area are you coming from?

I'll be coming from Pennington, NJ, just a short drive to New Hope from where I live, and I go to the New Hope/Lambertville area all the time.  This will be so convenient for me, hoping we'll have a good weather day for the ride.  I don't mind "cold", but not a big fan of rain.  Really looking forward to meeting you guys!

I was hoping the weather would have been better this weekend, maybe the forecast will change in the next couple of days

I've been watching the weather channel and noaa.gov sites like a hawk. If it's going to be downright crummy, I might reschedule for Sunday. If it's just drizzly rain, might take the car. Would still be good to see you all!

Forecasted for central east Jersey. 15% chance of rain. I will be heading there but really didn't pay attention to forecast anywhere else.

According to the Weather Channel about 20 hours before the scheduled meet up, the chance for rain is down to 10%, with a high temperature of 47.  Doesn't seem too bad for late November.  Due to get really cold on Sunday with a high of 32 degrees and a low of 20 degrees, so I don't think Sunday is the way to go.  I work every Sunday, so that would also knock me out as well.

Looks like we should be good to go. Might shorten the ride depending on how cold it actually is, but otherwise, I'll be there.

I am going to swing by, looking forward to meeting you guys. I don't mind the cold at all, and the riding weather tomorrow morning does't look bad at all right now. See you there.

Unless it's raining in the morning I'll be there, normally the wet doesn't bother me, but cold and wet that's just no fun

Glad I participated.  Good company,  nice weather,  curvy roads,  covered bridges,  good food... nice meeting everyone. Thanks Chris for organizing this!

It was nice to finally put some faces with names. Unfortunately you all left Dan and I behind at the end of the day and Dan ended up dropping his bike at low speed.  Not much damage until we went to take of and his bike would go into gear.  Waited almost 2 hous for the dealer to get a truck out to us

Really sorry for the confusion! I had said at the last bridge stop that we'd be turning left at the Frenchtown bridge and then stopping for the day. When we turned on Rt 32, I thought you guys were right behind us (since the cars weren't going very fast in front of us.) When we stopped, we waited right next to the bridge thinking you all would be along any moment. Eventually, we thought maybe you both decided to head off on your own way.

Glad no one was hurt, and sorry for the unfortunate mishap!

Nice meeting everyone today.  Truly appreciative of Shaun, who even though I told him to go ahead and leave me after the bike problem, he wouldn't do it.  After the bike was picked up, I had to take a train to Philly, then back to New Jersey.  Sure didn't plan on getting home at 7pm without my bike.  Won't know what's up with it for a few days.

The breakfast meet and greet and the ride was great even though it didn't end well for Dan unfortunately.  On the bright side I got to meet some new friends and can't wait for the warmer weather next season for some more riding with you all.

One additional thing:  I forgot to thank Chris for organizing the event.  What a great bunch of folks we had at our gathering and ride.  I am looking forward to our next one when hopefully the weather is warmer and I'm more at ease with this new bike.  As it is the biggest, baddest, beast I've ever owned on two wheels, by the time the Spring rolls around, I expect to be in better form.  Again, thanks to Chris, Shaun, and all for making it a special day.

Wow It always sucks to have anyone go down at anytime. Unfortunately it is the sport we decide to involve ourselves in. The fact that someone stood by till all was worked out shows how awesome this group is. Hope to see you all again soon and we can all break bread talking about this day in a lighter form.
My wife felt as if she was making things uncomfortable due to her being the only female. I am sure in warmer weather, more women will show. 
I hope I wasn't holding anyone up too much, riding this bike for the first few hundred miles  and then riding 2 up leaves me with a lot to learn. Braking, acceleration, lean angle and what speeds work with what gears.
    On another note the ride home was excrtiating as me knee started locking up. I will be searching the forum and probably posting but I would like to hear from you as well.Seat was comfy but my knee was all sorts of hurting. Tighter jeans, cold, wife crunching up to hide form wind. Any of those seem logical to you guys ?
Oh P.S. WHo has the pictures?

Muaymendez said:
Wow It always sucks to have anyone go down at anytime. Unfortunately it is the sport we decide to involve ourselves in. The fact that someone stood by till all was worked out shows how awesome this group is. Hope to see you all again soon and we can all break bread talking about this day in a lighter form.
My wife felt as if she was making things uncomfortable due to her being the only female. I am sure in warmer weather, more women will show. 
I hope I wasn't holding anyone up too much, riding this bike for the first few hundred miles  and then riding 2 up leaves me with a lot to learn. Braking, acceleration, lean angle and what speeds work with what gears.
    On another note the ride home was excrtiating as me knee started locking up. I will be searching the forum and probably posting but I would like to hear from you as well.Seat was comfy but my knee was all sorts of hurting. Tighter jeans, cold, wife crunching up to hide form wind. Any of those seem logical to you guys ?

It was really good to see you all there! Had a great time, and once again, very very sorry about the mishap at the end! We'll have another M+G in December (going to be keeping my fingers crossed for at least one decently warm Saturday...) somewhere in New Jersey (haven't decided on a location yet...)

Melissa is ALWAYS welcome to ANY event, same goes for all of your spouses or significant others (I really should get my partner to come to one of our M+Gs, he doesn't ride, but it's a good way to get him out of the house and have a nice breakfast...) so no worries there. COG is so much more than just the bike, it's about the people too!!!

José, I'm thinking your knee issue might have been caused by a combination of cold, your pants (if they bunch at all around your thighs/knees, it can cause a blood flow issue), and not being totally used to a new riding position just yet. There is some muscle memory involved here that does take some getting used to. When I went to the Connie from my old Ninja (you remember that little blue bike?) it took about 1k miles to get used to.

Jim took the pics, and said he'd get them uploaded, as well as in the Concourier.

Once again, thank you ALL for coming out today. If you all have a favourite diner/restaurant/hangout/locale that you'd like featured in a future Meet and Greet, please let me know. I'm open to building an entire ride around a particular place/restaurant/item/theme etc. Your input helps immensely with getting really great people together for really great rides.

Muaymendez said:

Tell Melissa she is welcome at any one of our rides and should never feel uncomfortable.  I'll try to get my wife out on a ride but it's hard with two kids at home to get a sitter during the day.  Besides without her Melissa the group was just an bunch of old ugly guys

Tottaly understsand. I can now have more free time since my oldest will be 17 in 1 month. For years we couldn't go out together.

Gee Dan, I am sorry to hear of your get off.  I was worried when you and Shaun did not arrive at Frenchtown but assumed you guys had Chris's cell #. Plus I though I had seen your lights way behind me on 32. We just all thought you guys had decided to break off and head your own way instead of stopping in Frenchtown.  In hindsight our bad for not doubling back to check.

Some of the tight 90 degree curves on Tinicum Church Hill Road can rally sneak up on you. Was it something like that or what?  I want details!

I feel bad too because I live within 10 miles of where you went down and I have a truck and trailer set up to haul a bike. I could have helped out if I had known.

Steve in PA said:
Some of the tight 90 degree curves on Tinicum Church Hill Road can rally sneak up on you. Was it something like that or what?  I want details!

I feel bad too because I live within 10 miles of where you went down and I have a truck and trailer set up to haul a bike. I could have helped out if I had known.

Steve, nothing really dramatic at all; it was really a just a stupidly simple drop.  Shaun and I had crossed to the Upper Black Eddy side of the river and we pulled into a closed auto garage driveway to stop and see if we could get our bearings.  As I pulled in and circled to the right, I did that one stupid thing I thought I had pounded into my brain not to do: as I was nearly stopped,  I applied the hand brake with the bars turned to the right and over it went.  No real damage to the fairing, mirror, or anything on that side, just a few small scratches which can be easily touched up.  The issue was on the side of the bike that didn't contact the ground.  When we righted the bike and I went to put it into gear, it wouldn't shift out of neutral.  No visible issues apparent there, but the dealer now has the bike and I'll have more to report in a few days.  Kudos to the dealer, they got up right up on an rack and started the troubleshooting process.  Said it could be something quite simple to fix, so now it's a waiting game.  It wasn't an issue they had seen before, so I just have to wait it out to hear what the deal is.

I have done that very thing way more than once Dan.  Glad to hear you were not hurt. The bike now has some more "character".  You will probably not even notice the scratches once they get polished out. Just 5-6 weeks ago I dropped my c10 in a parking lot when I was backing out of a spot. Put it in gear and started to move forward but bike just fell to the left and I couldn't get my foot down quick enough to stop it from falling over.  I even had an audience! No damage other than to my ego, but then I constantly humble myself in all kinds of ways. Plus I received the dubious " honor" of a Connie Droppers Anonymous #!

Again glad you are OK. Very nice meeting you yesterday and thanks for the details.

Steve, nice to meet you as well.  It could have been a lot worse.  Sure glad I decided not to bring the bags along for the day.  That would have been a real bummer!

Thanks for the pics. I enjoyed the day and these will help me remember it in my dottering old age. I always forget to take photos.

Walker18 said:
OK, ok.. Here are the pics..
http://sdrv.ms/19ZYEXu
Select first pic, then select slide show on top, and enjoy. Not my best, but understand I was shooting while working a 6-speed..
(excuses, excuses)

Nice pictures Jim. I'm really happy that you were able to still be involved. It looks like y'all had a good time. I'm even happier that you managed to at least get into one of the pictures. You look good buddy and I hope you continue to make strides.  :great:

Great photos, Jim! Thanks for posting them up here. Y'all keep your fingers crossed for December, maybe we'll get a nice mild day and can do a ride in Central NJ. I'm working out the routes now to hit some really nice areas in Somerset and Hunterdon counties. Stay tuned!

I got a call from the dealer today indicating my Connie is now fully repaired and functional.  I'm dropping off the Canyon Cages first thing in the morning and they're going to install them and deliver the bike back to my house early next week.  Sure will be good to fill that empty hole in the garage, and find a day warm enough to get out and put some serious miles on it.  I'm seriously shopping for some winter gear so I can ride as much as possible, road conditions permitting.  Looking forward to getting together with the gang from last Saturday whenever Chris gets our next event set up.  Here's hoping for a winter with not too much snow and ice and lots of days where riding is safe and warm enough to be fun.

Dan said:
I got a call from the dealer today indicating my Connie is now fully repaired and functional.  I'm dropping off the Canyon Cages first thing in the morning and they're going to install them and deliver the bike back to my house early next week.  Sure will be good to fill that empty hole in the garage, and find a day warm enough to get out and put some serious miles on it.  I'm seriously shopping for some winter gear so I can ride as much as possible, road conditions permitting.  Looking forward to getting together with the gang from last Saturday whenever Chris gets our next event set up.  Here's hoping for a winter with not too much snow and ice and lots of days where riding is safe and warm enough to be fun.

I'm guessing it was nothing to serious then, was it covered under warranty?

Shaun, it was covered under warranty, the dealer concluded it was a defective part that failed.  He showed me the little star wheel which engages the shifter, and sure enough, one of the "nubs" was missing in action.  They even recovered the nub, and they replaced several parts that interface with this assembly, just to be sure everything was working properly.  I left the bike there so they could install the Canyon Cages, so I'll have it back in a couple of days.  They were totally helpful and after the repair was completed, Brett rode the bike and said it was running in top form.  Can hardly wait to have it back.