• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Passive and active FOB cloning/registration

Bagger John

Forgive me if this has been asked before:

I have a 2008 with two active FOBs and a 2012 with 1ea active and passive FOB. Also have a KDS3 and appropriate cables for each bike. None of the current FOBs have their registration stickers (and I tore through everything searching for them).

What I want to do is to get 2 more new passives and one more new active and program the two passives to both the '08 and the '12. Then program the active to the '12. All bases would be adequately covered for road travel then (one active, one passive along for the ride).

Doable?

If you don’t have the registration numbers for the fobs you are sol on those fobs . You can key in the passives, but have all the passives you want keyed available because if you want to add one you have to rekey all at the same time. If I understand correctly you want to key all the same passives to both bikes? I’ve never done that, but I think it could be done. Worst you can do is try. Steve

Yes - I want to add the new passives to both bikes (so I'll have spares) and the new active to my 2012 (which only has one at the moment). So this will give me with 2 actives per bike, and 2 "common" passives plus the original 2012-only passive.

If you don’t have the registration numbers for the fobs you are sol on those fobs . You can key in the passives, but have all the passives you want keyed available because if you want to add one you have to rekey all at the same time. If I understand correctly you want to key all the same passives to both bikes? I’ve never done that, but I think it could be done. Worst you can do is try. Steve
So I guess that means that the code doesn't show up in the kds software after it's added?

I've read of an owner who had two C14s, buying a new active fob and registering it to both bikes.

If one buys new fobs - both active and passive - can they simply be added to the bikes? I'd key in both passives as a replacement for the one delivered with my '12 but don't want to lose registration for the actives already with each.

Yes - but many dealers get the passive registration process wrong as the instructions are not 100% precise in the KDS manual, so maybe not so 'simple.'

The active fob comes with passive function, as you know. The KIPASS ECU can 'take' up to 6 active fobs. An active fob cannot be deleted from KIPASS, just de-activated in case a lost fob is subsequently found by a potential thief whereby it will not work in Active mode, but the passive function would work unless all the remaining passive fobs were re-registered - this process erases all passive fobs from the ign switch ECU, which can also 'take' 6 passive fobs. Follow?

As you will read, the passive fob is also called 'transponder' and 'immobiliser key.' This illustration is from the series 1 Owner's manual - that's why it shows 2 active fobs and no flat plastic passive fob.

Wx06r3Q.png

This illustration is from the KDS training manual.
2Ah3EOp.jpg

Last edited:
Existing passive FOB keys can be cloned, and even overwriten with new data. This might be a way around having to program in new ones with the KDS and use up a memory slot.

Last edited: