• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Penske shock from Traxxion

Jdmitchell

Road Bike
I just finished installing my Penske shock yesterday and have ridden my bike a couple times and can honestly say that this is a mod that is definitely worth the money.  Dan from Traxxion was a super helpful guy and set up my order so that I could get a shock that was custom built for my weight and riding style.  It took about 10 days from order to delivery but was well worth the wait.  I have yet to give my bike a proper flogging since it has been cool and damp the past couple days but I can tell from my short time in the saddle that this shock it much better at controlling a beast of a bike like the C14.  It is firm yet supple at the same time and soaks up mid corner bumps with aplomb.  It is hard to describe but it is kind of like the difference from driving a Camaro SS (not the new one) then jumping into an M3.  Both are quick cars but the M3 is just so much better at creating a fun driving experience.  My only complaint is the mounting of the reservoir looks a little cobbled with the hose clamps, so I am searching for a better looking alternative.

Next is my fork rebuild from Ohlins since they are running a $499 special, I would go with Traxxion but they want $675 for the same service.

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

Pricey, but sounds very cool. On another note: Are those scratches in the side panel on your bike in that photo, or just dirt. If scratches, they look pretty bad. What happened to cause them?

Cap'n Bob said:
Pricey, but sounds very cool. On another note: Are those scratches in the side panel on your bike in that photo, or just dirt. If scratches, they look pretty bad. What happened to cause them?

Bug guts, I ride and wrench alot more than I clean my bike.  :-[

The cost is subjective since I can tell that I will get alot more enjoyment out of my bike now.  The prices Traxxion has on their website are 10% higher than what they actually charge and I also got an additional 10% for a Military discount.  Total including shipping and a shock sock, was $820 (about $400 less than Ohlins).

P1010918.JPG

P1010917.JPG

This is how I mounted mine. Its worked well for 16000 miles. And the shock is well worth the money. Mine has adjustments for both hi-speed and low-speed valving. Both of which are very noticable when adjusted. Its not like the stocker where you just think you might notice a difference. I also have the traxxion fork guts in the front. You can actually hear and feel the rebound damping when riding. With this combo there is no hint of wallowing in the middle of a fast corner when a surprise dip would completely upset the stocker. It aint bad for cruizing down the slab either, you can adjust out all the little hops and skips over the seams in both the front and rear. Just dont forget to tighten things back up as soon as you hit the twisties, or it'll roll around like a cruiser on the dragon.

Bikejunkie59 said:
Jeremy Inquiring Minds want to know???  How much for the shock???

I paid $820 including shipping and a shock sock.  They were also nice enough to give me a 10% Military discount, on top of their 10% off of MSRP.  I dealt with Dan who is a great guy that races his own bike and really knows his stuff.

Bikejunkie59 said:
Jeremy Inquiring Minds want to know???  How much for the shock???

Jeremy said:
The cost is subjective since I can tell that I will get alot more enjoyment out of my bike now.  The prices Traxxion has on their website are 10% higher than what they actually charge and I also got an additional 10% for a Military discount.  Total including shipping and a shock sock, was $820 (about $400 less than Ohlins).

Now, you need to add the Traxxion fork cartridges with compression and rebound damping.  The rear shock is the biggest problem, but doing the forks makes the bike a controllable Transcontinental Ballistic Missile. 

Colt45 said:
Now, you need to add the Traxxion fork cartridges with compression and rebound damping.  The rear shock is the biggest problem, but doing the forks makes the bike a controllable Transcontinental Ballistic Missile.

I am going with Ohlins since they are running a $499 special for a revalve/rebuild.  The AK-20 from Traxxion is $1000 and I can't justify doubling the price when I don't think I would ever be able to exploit the differences between the two.

Thanks for the info. Maybe next year. I think money
Is better spent on suspensions than motor any day.
Unless you got a slug. Which the Connie is not.

Keep the shiney side up

Chuck 08 c14 ABS :))

(Slightly off topic) There was a nice story in the Atlanta paper a day or two ago about Traxxion retooling their shop and make a BIG effort to buy all American tooling and machines. Kinda fits with what you said about them.

ron203 said:
(Slightly off topic) There was a nice story in the Atlanta paper a day or two ago about Traxxion retooling their shop and make a BIG effort to buy all American tooling and machines. Kinda fits with what you said about them.

Very cool, thanks. 

Here is the link that I found

http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/16296145

I will say that I rode 300 miles today (about 40-50 of that was very agressive) and I have to say that the Penske (Traxxion) shock without any adjustments was head and shoulders above the stocker.  I can feel the front end bashing through the corners while the rear end just soaks everything up and feels firm at the same time.  I am amazed that one part can make such a difference in the performance of an already capable bike.  I can't wait to have forks to match the performance of my shock, just waiting for a couple weeks of nasty weather to send my forks in so I don't miss out on any good riding days.  ;D