• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Perilli Angle ST Tire wear on C14

Bmar

Training Wheels
I am having some wear issues on the front Perilli Angle ST tire I put on about 1,500 miles ago.  It seems to be wearing on the leading edge of the rubber after each grove crosses the center line of the tire and causing a vibration and funky handling at aggressive lean angles.  I keep the air pressure at 42 psi as recommended by Kawasaki and ride a 2010.  Am I special or is this a problem that Perilli has?  It feels a lot like the stock Bridgestone BT 023 after 1,500 miles.  The last set of tires were Michelin PR2's and got a blissful 10,000 miles out of them.

That sounds strange. My Angels wore slightly off center on the left. I just removed a front tire with 6K on it the other day to try PR3's. It was worn more  left off center as all previous tires. But they probably had a few thousand miles life in it yet. It was cupping slightly.
Up to this point I have found the Angel to be the best tire I've used in the combination of wet and dry, cold/warm, and wear. The Pr2's do seem to wear better, but lack the dry grip and confidence inspiring of the Angel.
The PR3 seems like the best tire I've used in the wet. Of course it has done nothing but rain since I installed them! And I need to leave for the NE spring fling this morning. (it's raining heavily)  I wondering how they are in the dry!  :))

My wife rides a Kaw Z750s and I put a set of Angle ST's on her bike.  Coming back from a trip two weeks ago she told me the front end felt like it was bouncing up and down, so I took the bike for a ride and it feels like I am always on a bumpy road,  I felt along the center of the tread and it feels like undulations like a mild cupping but it isn't really noticeable looking at it. 

I have a spare Angle ST in the garage and I am going to put that on tonight and see if that solves the problem.  I have kept the tire at 39 psi and it has maybe 3000 miles on it.  If that doens't solve the problem then maybe I need to change the fork oil, which I did 19k miles ago.

I ran a front ST on my C14 and no problems at all for maybe 9k miles.

I have 5k on my angels and they are wearing better than any tire I have used to date. No cupping and the flat spot on the rear doesn't seem to hurt the handling too bad. The aren't going to make the mileage the pr2's did but they are another great set of shoes for the Connie.

joe in calif said:
I have kept the tire at 39 psi
Why 39 instead of the recommended 42 psi ?

I didn't know the recommended pressure was 42, might be why they are doing funky, the reason for 39 is what I usually run my tires, and hers, 39 front 41 rear

Run them at 42 and be anal about keeping them there. It will really help with wear and tear. Might want to lower it slightly in really twisty areas but I've never felt the need to.

Corpssgt said:
Run them at 42 and be anal about keeping them there. It will really help with wear and tear. Might want to lower it slightly in really twisty areas but I've never felt the need to.

I just put a new one on my wifes bike and took it for a ride.  It still has the "bouncing" front problem so it might be worn out fork oil.  I know the tire is balanced cause I did it myself.

Anybody have any ideas what else could be wrong.  It just started on our ride home two weeks ago, no problems on the ride up.

Yesterday I had to replace the rear Pirelli Angel tire on my 2010 C14 at 7100 miles since the belts were starting to show in one spot. The front PA is still looking good. A new PA went on the rear, since I've been quite satisfied with the handling of the PA tires on both wet and dry roads, most recently over Easter weekend in the mountains around Helen, Georgia and on the Tail of the Dragon.

Are folks finding the angel ST to hold the line with minimal effort after setting the lean?

As most of you (from the other site) will remember, I ran the pr2's for a number of tire changes prior to getting rid of the bike.  My experience was very different from Bob's with all of these sets.  I got ~8K - 11K miles depending how how I cornered.  One thing I really liked about the pr2's was how easy it held the line once set.  No issues with the tire stepping out under lean/throttle.  I ran stock pressures, 42/42.

I went with the angel st's on a recent tire change on the fz1 (same size as c14).  This feeling of holding the line with minimal effort is gone.  In fact, the tires felt marginally better than the pr2's I took off with 9K miles on them (190/55 rear though).  I can almost say I hate this tire enough to want to burn it up quickly so I can put the pr2's back on.  Having gone back to a 50 profile, I did expect slower turn in, but not the other effect.  Granted, this is an apples/oranges comparison because the fz1 is #200 lighter than the c14.  Even so, when I had new pr2's installed late last season, the bike kept the line exceptionally well with minimal effort.  I was expecting similar results this time.

Btw, Bob, as I posted elsewhere, it was your recommendation that prompted me to try the angel's st.  I don't blame you one bit, as each rider's experience varies  :).

Finally, I believe it was just touched up on in either this thread or one of the other tire threads, that going with a 55 profile will noticeably ease falling into the corner.  This was all great if you live in an area with curvy roads.  Here in the midwest, that is not the case.  As the tire got more and more squared off, additional effort was required to initiate the turn.  With the 50 profile, I don't remember that being as pronounced later in the tire's wear.  So it's all a compromise I suppose.  55 Profile yields better initial handling, but worse during the 2nd half (4-5K miles and above), while 50 isn't as good initially, but more consistent in the 2nd half.

Wow Chi, It is strange how they can be so different. But I always wondered that about the PR2's. Like you said, we had the exact oposite experience. I figured that sooner or later somebody was going to have a less than satisfied experience with the Angels. I as you noted, I loved the Pirelli Angel ST's. But I hated the Michelin PR2's! 
So far just about everyone who came on the forum's and said they tried the Angels either loved them or found them good, but still liked the tires they came from (mostly the Michelin's). But someone had to be first who doesn't really like them. Hopefully the PR2's will work well for you again. Although, maybe you should try the PR3's. So far I like them too!  :))

Wild isn't it!  I have on hand another set of pr2's in the 50 profile.  That will go on in about 6 weeks.  The pr3's look like someone went wild with a razor with all the sips.  I haven't considered it, but we'll see what the going price is next time I need tires.  As for the pirelli's... I ran several sets of strada's when i had the gpz and was quite satisfied with them. 

Anyone got a brand new rear angel st?

Can you take a measurement of near the center (but not over the wear bar).  I got about 1600 miles now, and measurements come in at about .180" according to the depth function of my vernier dial calipers.  I took several measurements around the wheel in the same location with similar results.

I then measurement my brand new, yet to be mounted pr2, ~3/4"-1" off center with ~.240-.25" depth.  Sadly I didn't measure the angels prior to mounting.