• Forum Subscribers and COG Members, please be aware of policy changes put into effect due to action of the COG board of directors based on input from members. The new membership system makes it possible to implement these changes.

Forum Subscribers – Forum Subscribers get a six-month limited feature trial forum membership. Forum Subscribers Read the Details Here.

Members – Your full forum access is only in effect while your membership status is active. Members Read the Details Here

• FORUM NAME - If you are a COG Member and your user name does not match your name in the old forum or you just want a new one, you can now change it on your own. Read the Details Here

• *READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * If you are a current COG Member or Forum Subscriber and this is your first visit to our new site and forum, please go to www.concour.org and follow the instructions at the top of the page to activate your account and gain access to your site and forum.
  • READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Perseid Meteor Shower Ride to Death Valley Sat. Night Aug. 11th?

ron203

Southeast Area Director
Now you've got me thinking.. We've got some dark places up in the mountains HERE... HMMM!!!! What a great idea. Good luck.

OMoaC

Did this 2 years ago. Was amazing and the temps at midnight were well below 100 degrees. Dig It!  :great: :beerchug:

CaffeineMan

In the shadow of the Valley of Death
I will almost certainly be able to provide a support vehicle and probably a few chairs and a cooler as R&J will almost certainly drive.

OMoaC

CaffeineMan said:
I will almost certainly be able to provide a support vehicle and probably a few chairs and a cooler as R&J will almost certainly drive.
Maybe my air mattress would be a better call. Can you overnight at Dantes?  :)) :))

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
Industry Vendor
I live under a dark sky and everytime these shows pop up, or advertized, I never see anything.

I think it's a hoax.

Made up by people who sell beer to folks looking for a reason to drink beer.

OMoaC

Harry Martin said:
I live under a dark sky and everytime these shows pop up, or advertized, I never see anything.

I think it's a hoax.

Made up by people who sell beer to folks looking for a reason to drink beer.

Brian's bringing beer? Serious. is overnight camping allowed? I'll bring my stove for coffee in the morning.

CaffeineMan

"Brian's bringing beer? Serious. is overnight camping allowed? I'll bring my stove for coffee in the morning."

Careful big guy.  I'm bringing a cooler.  One must provide ones own content.

:D

Tjhohmann

Daughter and I are going to cage to Panamint Springs for Sunday night, and probably do a drive down through Badwater on Monday.

CaffeineMan

OK, 1 week 'til Perseids!

Anyone going out Saturday night besides me?  I'm thinking of leaving Pahrump around 9PM, putting me at Dante's View around 10PM.  Maybe we could grill some burgers for dinner before we head out of anyone wants to meet at my place beforehand.  Let me know.

TJSocal, Sunday night is actually the prime night for the meteors.  Supposedly the best time is as close to dawn as possible without it getting light (3AM maybe?).  Because of work, for me it has to be Saturday and early in the evening.

OMoaC

I am thinking to bring my chair, sleeping mat and pillow, stove for coffee in the morn and just spending the night up there. Get up in the morn and go. Sleep in the Stich jammies.

CaffeineMan

Old Man on a Connie said:
I am thinking to bring my chair, sleeping mat and pillow, stove for coffee in the morn and just spending the night up there. Get up in the morn and go. Sleep in the Stich jammies.

Sweet!  Lemme know by Friday if you want to swing by my place either for dinner or to meet up before we head out, or if you're just gonna meet us out at Dante's View.

CaffeineMan

Temperature is forecast to be a cool 90 degrees at 10:00 at Dante's View:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.2207&lon=-116.7266&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

;D

Motomaniac

Street Cruiser
Have fun out there tonight!! Take a few pictures and safe travels there and back home! Wish I could make it!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :beerchug:

CaffeineMan

Well that was kind of a dud.  There weren't many meteors and the clouds moved in around 11:00, along with the serious wind.

Old Man, I hope you stayed home and you're not up there in the wind.

Still it was good to get out on the bike.  The new Nissin 4-piston calipers are working great.  I'm all set for the Devil's Highway!

OMoaC

I did Cman and thanks. Them were serious Dorothy and toto winds that night. Gusts at 70 mph plus. And flash floods  :'(

CaffeineMan

It was pleasant for about an hour or so.  Then the winds cranked up.  Apparently while we were there, we missed the dust storm in Pahrump.    :eek:

A few meteors.  We actually brought beer, so you missed that.  But it was cheap 'cause we didn't want to deal with glass, so maybe you didn't miss anything.  ;D

OMoaC

CaffeineMan said:
It was pleasant for about an hour or so.  Then the winds cranked up.  Apparently while we were there, we missed the dust storm in Pahrump.    :eek:

A few meteors.  We actually brought beer, so you missed that.  But it was cheap 'cause we didn't want to deal with glass, so maybe you didn't miss anything.  ;D
HABOOB! ;) :)) :))