• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Picked up a BMW R1200R

lieu910

Moped
I was looking for a light, versatile bike with some cool factor to it. Came close to pulling the trigger on a few naked bikes, but none of them really ticked all the boxes.

Then I came across the BMW R1200R with blue painted frame on white with belly pan. It came with ESA, quick shift, cruise control, heated grips, GPS, shaft drive, mounts for hard bags. All the equipment that can really be useful, and make the bike very versatile /useable.

It handles extremely well. The boxer is rated at 125 hp, but has so much usable torque, it is a hoot to ride. It really does so many things well, and honestly, I am finding it is more comfortable than my C14.

Anyway, an absolutely great bike, and it has become my current favorite. If this continues, I may part ways with my C14 and just use the R for everything.     

Yes, pics, year, all that. Still ave a soft spot fr my old 97 oilhead, the R or S would be a great platform for a customization especially after 2002 where they sorted some of the FI issues. Those engines put maybe 100 to 110 HP to the rear wheel, plenty of fun.

It's a 2017, which is the water cooled boxer. The boxer engine has really evolved.  Site won't let me upload pics 

I test rode one of those. Wow, that motor...not your grand dads Boxer! Nice find.
The better half sat on a RS 1200 at the cycle show and really liked it.
Then a friend had a low mile 2002 R1150R all decked out with luggage too that he had sitting in storage.
I put some work into it this winter including PR-4 tires. What a great all around Motorcycle.
Someday...https://photos.app.goo.gl/orp89Oad2xGMtU8G2

Tundra Tom said:
I test rode one of those. Wow, that motor...not your grand dads Boxer! Nice find.
The better half sat on a RS 1200 at the cycle show and really liked it.
Then a friend had a low mile 2002 R1150R all decked out with luggage too that he had sitting in storage.
I put some work into it this winter including PR-4 tires. What a great all around Motorcycle.
Someday...https://photos.app.goo.gl/orp89Oad2xGMtU8G2

That's a really nice 1150R!

Yes, such a great and versatile bike, and the new LC Boxer has some stones. Very smooth, and it really gets up and moves. I am starting to contemplate going down to one bike, and just selling the C14 at the end of the year. I am moving to San Diego next month, and don't really need the extra wind protection. We'll see. I tend to think the 1200R is the perfect bike for So Cal.