• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PR3 recommendation

laker9142

I'm not very active on the forum other than doing a lot of lurking. But I am so impressed with the PR3's I thought I would share my experience with them. I've used up 3 rears this year, all have been 190/55. Average mileage is 5000-5500 range. The last one got about 4700 but it had been to Vermont, Missouri, North Carolina and a good hard run at the buckeye bash right here in Ohio. What really compelled me to write this is how well the tire did in a heavy rain coming home from N.C. in late Oct. It was just about dark as I crossed into Kentucky when heavy rain started and continued for the next 250 miles home. I slowed down for a few miles but never felt any slippage of any kind from either end of the bike. So I ended up traveling with traffic at 75-85mph feeling competely comfortable. When I got home and looked at the tire I was surpised to see how worn it was for how good it still performed. 
P1010879.JPG

P1010882.JPG

P1010881.JPG

I haven't worn out my first PR3 as of yet. Honestly, I didn't put all that much mileage on the bike this past year. But I expect that it would probably do a little better mileage than you got. That was what I would get with the Angels. I feel the PR3's are wearing slightly better. But IMO, the Angel is a better tire as far as confidence inspiring and grip. But the PR3 should wear a little longer and is the best tire I've used in the rain. Although the Angel wasn't bad in the rain either. It just isn't as good as the PR3 in that respect.

I would also like to give the PR3 a good plug. I have 9000 KMs on mine or 6000 miles.
They are showing very little wear.  I have absolute confidence whith these tires while riding in the rain.
Grip in the corners is also fantastic. They are worth the few extra dollars that I paid for them.
Had a great ride today. 300 KMS. November 20th  southern Ontario Canada
[/quote]

I have to believe you guys with PR3s should be getting great life out of them.

I have PR2s on my ZX14 (which went to National 2011, and many other places with full luggage) and they are past 8,000 miles and showing no flat spotting, and no appreciable wear.

And I have worn them all the way to the sidewalls, and scrubbed them out the outside edges pretty good.

Good tires. Looking forward to having PR3s on my C14.

My PR3s just turned 10,000 miles on my 2011. Still have plenty of life and bike handles great. Some cupping but no tread wear indicators showing.

Attachments

• F.JPG
    F.JPG
    371.4 KB · Views: 136
  • R.JPG
    R.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 149
Looks like the accelerated wear was caused by under inflation; keep those tires pumped up to 45psi and they wear great. Unless you burn rubber for a living.  Had been checking around for pricing on another set of PR3s, which I will need eventually. One local dealership $500; Ride Now, where I purchased my C14 $625, but bargained down to $575. I walked when I told them I just purchased these in Aug and the bill was only $423. I ended up buying online at Motocycle Superstore and paid $316 with free shipping and no tax. Changing rubber $65. I will remove, balance and replace.

They've had 42PSI in them from day one.  We just have abrasive roads and I like to stay off the slab.  I ended up getting a new rear from SWMoto for 179.99.  Mounted it yesterday.  Oh and Michelin states a max cold inflation of 42psi.

P1050509.JPG

For the record...I ride a 2009 14 ABS.  I've installed my second rear and front PR3 over the past few months and I'd like to offer some data for anyone who is interested. 

I commute just over 100 miles round trip to work year round.  This includes about a 1.2 mile of gravel/dirt road to get to my home from the nearest paved road and the rest of the road about evenly divided between two lane paved country roads and four lane hiway.  I ride all year so the temperatures go from the teens up to above 100 degrees when I ride.

My original OEM Bridgestones had to be replaced at just under 7,500 miles because I had a steel belt exposed on the rear even though the wear on the tire was only beginning to show wear indicators....and the front was showing severe cupping, looked like ripples.  At that time I installed my first set of PR3's. 

At the time I knew I'd be replacing my rear first and I was very apprehensious due to the Bridgestone...so I watched my rear very closely.  I replaced the rear PR3 at 17,300 miles even though it was only just beginning to hit the wear indicator bands...after having the rear Bridgestone suddenly expose a steel belt I decided not to push the mileage at all...so this mileage is extremely conservative. (9,800 miles on the Rear) 

I've just replaced the front PR3 I installed at 7,500.  My present mileage is 22,700 miles.  (that is 15,200 miles on the front)  I always keep both of my tires inflated to 42psi and I usually ride alone.  At the time of the front change the tire was just beginning to show the wear indicator bands but compared to the OEM Bridgestones there was no cupping at all with minor wear to the softer rubber on the edges.

I'm on my second set of PR3's now and very pleased....I've never slipped or felt any loss of traction even while in a pouring rain or on subfreezing days.

I hope this helps anyone who is looking for info on tires.  I've found nothing I can complain about with the PR3's...One added note: Don't use Dyna beads, the TPS seem to create problems with their effectiveness at balancing the tires.  At low speeds I did not notice any problems but if you occasionally go into the tripple digits as I do, you'll want dynamic balancing.

Can't truly comment on PR3's but........ Put PR2's on my 1200 bandit and loved 'em. Bike didn't fall into the corners anymore (the way my c14 does now) and handling was way more nuetral. Felt great. Went on a 2500 mile 2 up packed for 7 days ride and no wear. Rode through lone pine on the 395 with signs flashing chains req'd (no snow on the road but plenty of wet) without worry. No squiggles or shimmies. Loved that tire. Heard the the 3's were more sport oriented than than the 2's. Any truth? Getting ready for new skins and want 2's but if the 3's are better?

I was wondering if the PR3s are worth the extra $37 premium over PR2s?  I had a set of PR2s that I got 10,000 miles out of on a trip from PA to Alaska and back and loved the feel and handling.  Installed Perrila ST's and have hated them, they started to cup in the first 1,500 miles and I only got 4,500 miles out of them before they got down to the wear marks.

The PR3 has a little bit wider section of the two softer side rubber sections on the tire edges than the PR2. The PR3 also has a redesigned tread pattern that moves water in the wet better than any tire I used on a motorcycle before it. The PR3 is IMO, a night and day better tire than the PR2. Yes the PR3 costs a little more than the PR2. But they would be worth it IMO.
  It's no secret that I hated the PR2 (I thought they sucked). But I like the PR3 a lot. The PR3 grips well  and inspires decent confidence in the dry (just not quite as good as the Angel ST) But is great in the wet. So IMO, the PR3 is a very good all around tire. 

Michelin has always made what I believe is the best tire for riding in the wet, dating all the way back to the Macadams in the mid 90's, and the PR2 and PR3 continue that legacy. I've always been real impressed with Michelins quality as well, and I don't think I've ever gotten an "out of round" or badly out of balance tire from them like I have some other brands. They have always had real high quality control standards that have set the bar in the industry.

I only hope that the tires they are now manufacturing in some of their new facilities in the Far East (Thailand) continue to be as good as the ones the came out of their other factories around the world.

Finally replaced my PR3s after 12,000 miles and there was still good tread on the front. Back tire wore the middle band flat and there was enough cupping on both to feel the handling starting to deteriorate. Would highly recommend. Buy them on the internet cheaper than any dealer. Motorcycle superstore R-$184 F-$133 mount and balance both $45. I dismounted and remounted the wheels. Rarely ever ride in the rain so I can't comment on wet performance. On dry pavement they feel very confident, at both low and high speeds.

I am getting ready to order a 2012 in the next few weeks and I wanted to know if anyone thinks if it's a good idea to have the dealer (or someone else) change the stock tires to PR3's right off the bat? I know it's going to be an added cost, but I don't have an issue with it. Also, because of the TPMS, are the any precautions in changing the tire? I would assume a reputable shop (if not the dealer) would be aware of this.

FireIdiot said:
I am getting ready to order a 2012 in the next few weeks and I wanted to know if anyone thinks if it's a good idea to have the dealer (or someone else) change the stock tires to PR3's right off the bat? I know it's going to be an added cost, but I don't have an issue with it. Also, because of the TPMS, are the any precautions in changing the tire? I would assume a reputable shop (if not the dealer) would be aware of this.

Well it's definitely an added cost. Plus you don't get to find out how bad the 021's are. But on the other hand, you get to enjoy your bike a lot more right off the bat. I guess the question is weather your willing to add the extra cost to have better right now?

I changed out my Metzler 880s out today and put PR3's on. I am always amazed at the difference new tires make. So far the difference is night and day. Hard to remember what the others felt like 6000+ miles ago. But the bike handles great now.

CapnBob hated the PR2s, but many of us liked them (better than OEM) enough to rave a little.

The PR3 IS worth the extra $$$ 'cause it does EVERYTHING better than the 2's. I could rave (alot) about better feel, better stick, better warm-up, better (great) wet grip, better compliance, better longevity(?), etc. but that has already been said (better than most).

Bob is RIGHT that the PR3 is much better than the PR2 (we used to rave about).

Tim is due for a BIG GRIN 'cause the 880 isn't even in the (radial) league as the PR2 or PR3.  :)

I really love my PR3's, I don't ride in rain purposely but living in the PNW it does happen...  :'(

I have never had a tire on any of my bikes (and I've had about a dozen) that felt as solid on wet roads as these PR3's, and I don't think they sacrifice anything for dry roads too, which makes it the best of both worlds IMO!  :13:

IMG00385-20110713-1735.jpg