• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Putting the C10 on the Center Stand

jcaputo58941

Dad3Sons
I"ve had my C10 for about 7 weeks now. I've only been able to get it on the center stand once, and that was with the hard bags off and almost no fuel in the tank. Now the hard bags are on and the fuel tank is full. I've almost blown out my hernia meshes trying to put it up on the center stand, and failed several times. Is there a forum topic or video that shows the secret on how to do that?

It's WAY easier to get my over-100lb heavier GL1200 Gold Wing Interstate on its center stand than this beast.

No offense to the registered Connie Droppers, but I'd like to earn that distinction in a more spectacular fashion than trying to put it on the center stand... :cool:

Thanks in Advance!

Has it been lowered? That messes up the fulcrum. But you should just have to put your left foot on the pad and visualize pushing it through the ground while tugging up on the rear handle or other point. C-14 is heavier, I can do it in bare feet.

When I had my C10, I always lifted the bike while pulling back, and pushing down with my foot, all at the same time. It's a coordinated effort to get a little bit of backward momentum to help the bike hop up over that point where the center stand is almost straight up and down. Once you have mastered the technique, it becomes much easier. Also, when was the last time the center stand was lubricated?

Along with following the above comments maybe you have a buddy to be a spotter on opposite side to help until you get the confidence to try on your own. To me there is a learned sequence

I"ve had my C10 for about 7 weeks now. I've only been able to get it on the center stand once, and that was with the hard bags off and almost no fuel in the tank. Now the hard bags are on and the fuel tank is full. I've almost blown out my hernia meshes trying to put it up on the center stand, and failed several times. Is there a forum topic or video that shows the secret on how to do that?

It's WAY easier to get my over-100lb heavier GL1200 Gold Wing Interstate on its center stand than this beast.

No offense to the registered Connie Droppers, but I'd like to earn that distinction in a more spectacular fashion than trying to put it on the center stand... :cool:

Thanks in Advance!
Have you checked the air suspension? Make certain this is properly aired as this will raise the rear a bit.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I also always had difficulty getting her up on centerstand. So I started cheating. I had a scrap piece of 1x4 that I cut to 6 inches long. I'd roll the rear tire up on it, and that extra 3/4 of an inch height increase was just enough to get her up. It's then thin enough to slide it out from up the tire.

Still use same method on my c14...

Stand close to the bike, too. First time I put the C-14 on the stand after a few years of the C-10, I about threw it out the garage door. A C-10 is heavy but practice with a spotter.

I can get it up on the center stand but will always do it with a spotter. I am afraid of hurting my back when doing it. I have used both a 2x4 and also have used a stack of (2) 2x 6 boards. I cut one end at a 45 to help getting it up on the boards. With the double stack the stand goes down and only lifts the rear wheel a tiny bit. I can still get the boards out from under the wheel. You do have to be careful moving the bike up onto the boards. At 5' 7" and 150 lbs she is a big bike for me to move, so I do it by running in first standing to the left side and shut it off with the kill switch when in position. With the a single 2x board the rear wheel will still roll so you have to shift into neutral or hold the clutch in.

I ALWAYS take her off the centerstand while on the bike so I have legs on both sides to catch myself fast if it wants to tip.

I tried it without running the rear tire on a board and Im lucky if 1 out of 3 times I can get it on the centerstand. When working on her I have a piece of 2 x 12 I run the rear wheel up on to make it easier. I wish there was a longer handle I could get a better grip with to help pull her up than the factory one.

I tried it without running the rear tire on a board and Im lucky if 1 out of 3 times I can get it on the centerstand. When working on her I have a piece of 2 x 12 I run the rear wheel up on to make it easier. I wish there was a longer handle I could get a better grip with to help pull her up than the factory one.
I thought Phil use to make a handle for the c14. I don't know if there ever was a additional farkle handle for the c10..

I thought Phil use to make a handle for the c14. I don't know if there ever was a additional farkle handle for the c10..
Ronnie with Connie peg's LLC in the industry vender section makes a handle for the c14, I'm not aware of one for the c10.

I find it helpful to make sure both CS feet are in contact with the ground before I start any lifting.

I think about pulling the handle up and away from my foot on the CS - like I'm trying to stretch it apart, not about pulling it back.

Takes a concerted significant effort.

That said, I don't like the pressure I feel in my lower back both during and immediately after the lift

A board under one or both wheels makes it much easier.

In an earlier time, Iā€™ve had good days, and bad days getting the bike up on the centerstand. Thereā€™s a definite technique to the process; sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didnā€™t. At one point, I was even able to get the bike up on the stand when sitting in the seat, even demonstrating that little trick a number of times at local events. Those days are long gone. Now, I donā€™t even attempt itā€¦.. especially since lowering the bike with one of Mr. Soucyā€™s suspension lowering rockers.

Back when I was the Technical Editor and had the Centerstand Chronicles column in the Concourier, a member (whose name I canā€™t remember) sent me an assist tool heā€™d fabricated to make it easier to get the bike up on the stand. It worked. He basically gave me the rights to the tool if I agreed not to fabricate the piece for financial gain, which I agreed to. I made a formal drawing, took some pictures, and included them in my column, some of which are included below.

P2110006-L.jpg

P2110008-L.jpg

P2110009-L.jpg

P2110010-L.jpg

P2110017-L.jpg

P2110018-L.jpg

P2110023-L.jpg

P2110013-L.jpg

cstand_assist_tool-L.gif

EDIT: After the original pictures were taken and the tool used for a bit, I added a slight jog in the long lever piece so that it would disengage from the stand's foot pad a little better:
IMG_7362-L.jpg

Last edited:
Having the right frame of mind helps a lot too. We can be grateful the C-10 has a center stand to wrestle with ... some bikes don't even have center stands.. like my daughter's R-6.

Reactions: Bud
Hello
I find the ingenious idea, the extension of the lever arm, where I have serious doubts, is the holding of the welds and the plate of the crutch which work in the opposite direction to the pull-out and which are not at all dimensioned for this.

I really appreciate all the feedback, input and advice. I was in the garage today working on the C10 and I took a moment to stand back and eyeball the situation. Thatā€™s when I noticed the grab handle that is partly ā€œcut outā€œ of the left side panel right under the driverā€™s seat!

I had been trying to put it on the center stand by grabbing the passengerā€™s left side ā€œOh, shootā€ handle before. I stepped up, put the CS down, centered the bike vertically, grabbed the CORRECT handle, stomped on the CS foot lever and it popped right up. šŸ¤ŖšŸ„“šŸ˜–

Some of us are slower learners than others, I guessā€¦

That's the blessing of this forum and community Joe. Enough people chime in to help and then all of a sudden it becomes crystal clear.
I can imagine it was a PITA trying to use the passenger grab handle! I'm amazed you were able to get it on the center stand even once without dumping it.

I really appreciate all the feedback, input and advice. I was in the garage today working on the C10 and I took a moment to stand back and eyeball the situation. Thatā€™s when I noticed the grab handle that is partly ā€œcut outā€œ of the left side panel right under the driverā€™s seat!

I had been trying to put it on the center stand by grabbing the passengerā€™s left side ā€œOh, shootā€ handle before. I stepped up, put the CS down, centered the bike vertically, grabbed the CORRECT handle, stomped on the CS foot lever and it popped right up. šŸ¤ŖšŸ„“šŸ˜–

Some of us are slower learners than others, I guessā€¦
Better slow than not at all. I have plenty of "slow" moments. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

A piece of wood like a 2X6 under the rear wheel will transform the process into a no brainer for you, I used a wedge for a ramp to roll the tire up onto the wood. I like Guy's way too.

Here is a thread from way back on this topic... might be addition information in there. Use the forum search feature to discover more old threads.

A link to the archived Concourier issue (Spring 2003) that has the center stand assist article Guy Young referenced above can be found by using the online Tech Index, list under the General section for C10 related tech items

My neighbor who helped me pick up my Connie when I dropped her equated putting her up on the centerstand was the equivalent of pushing a fat lady away from the buffet table.

I had a non-running C10 brought in for service the air shock was completely deflated and getting onto the center stand was similar to a lowered bike.

First I pushed the machine onto a board to get more lift and that worked. On inspection discovered the air shock totally flat I added 30# pressure to the shock and problem solved there on out.

If you are new to the C10 this could be an overlooked culprit with symptoms being rough riding and also difficulty to get onto the center stand.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I had a non-running C10 brought in for service the air shock was completely deflated and getting onto the center stand was similar to a lowered bike.

First I pushed the machine onto a board to get more lift and that worked. On inspection discovered the air shock totally flat I added 30# pressure to the shock and problem solved there on out.

If you are new to the C10 this could be an overlooked culprit with symptoms being rough riding and also difficulty to get onto the center stand.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
I bet that gets overlooked pretty often.

Here is a thread from way back on this topic... might be addition information in there. Use the forum search feature to discover more old threads.

A link to the archived Concourier issue (Spring 2003) that has the center stand assist article Guy Young referenced above can be found by using the online Tech Index, list under the General section for C10 related tech items

I actually remembered the fella's name who sent me that piece after I posted the above. Dug out an old Directory to make sure my memory wasn't playing tricks on me.

As previously mentioned, getting the bike up on the centerstand was always an iffy proposition (for me anyway), even on those ā€œgoodā€ days. It became utterly impossible (even with the assist tool) once I installed the Soucy lowering rocker on the bike a few years agoā€¦ā€¦. and thatā€™s been somewhat of a concern when out on the road. Those long trips have pretty much become a thing of the past since assuming caregiver duties for my wife, but even so, having a flat locally when running errands could wind up being a royal PITA should I need to get the rear wheel up off the ground. Decided Iā€™m going to fix that by delving into modifying the bikeā€™s centerstand. Have done it for a customerā€™s 1050 Triumph, and my own KLR. With apologies to Jimmyā€™s World: ā€œWhat could possibly go wrong?ā€

Typical me, rather than cutting up the original, Iā€™ll whack on a donor I found on eBay at a pretty decent price. Thatā€™ll leave one in the OEM length to go with the bike once THAT day comes and it moves on. Itā€™s on the way and I will start the process once it gets here, and some of those other life interruptions can get pushed aside.

600 pounds on any bike can be hard to put it on the center stand. When I bought my new to me ZG 1000 I had just had my rt hip complete replacement. It was about 4 months into it and I was putting the bike on it's center stand I gave up because I thought I was going to dislocate my hip doing so. I'am several months past my surgery and I can put it on it's center stand but it is not easy to do. I'am 70 this year and doing task like that used to be easy but father time catches up with you and they are not easy anymore. Proud to say my wife helps me with that chore and we do it together nicely. She does the rt side. I do not want to be any part of Connie Droppers anonymous just yet.

Dean

Pareil pour moi qui a eu au cours de ma vie pas mal de dƩboires chirurgicaux, je peux rouler seul mais par mesure de sƩcuritƩ ma femme adorƩe me donne un coup de main quand il y a besoin sinon je laisse le vƩlo sur la bƩquille latƩrale.
Bernard

... once I installed the Soucy lowering rocker on the bike a few years agoā€¦ā€¦. ... Iā€™m going to fix that by delving into modifying the bikeā€™s centerstand. ...

Typical me, rather than cutting up the original, Iā€™ll whack on a donor I found on eBay at a pretty decent price. Thatā€™ll leave one in the OEM length to go with the bike once THAT day comes and it moves on. Itā€™s on the way and I will start the process once it gets here, and some of those other life interruptions can get pushed aside.
Will you share the results of the project when completed?
After lowering your C10, did you do anything with the sidestand? My bike has always sat more upright than any other that I've seen and am considering modifications that will lean it over a little more.

Will you share the results of the project when completed?
After lowering your C10, did you do anything with the sidestand? My bike has always sat more upright than any other that I've seen and am considering modifications that will lean it over a little more.

I will.

And yes, I did tweak the sidestand after lowering the bike, simply by heating it with a torch. The 'Wing size tires helped some, but it wasn't enough to make me feel comfortable in some situations. I actually went back a tweaked it a bit more after getting out and about some.

P4230002-L.jpg

600 pounds on any bike can be hard to put it on the center stand. When I bought my new to me ZG 1000 I had just had my rt hip complete replacement. It was about 4 months into it and I was putting the bike on it's center stand I gave up because I thought I was going to dislocate my hip doing so. I'am several months past my surgery and I can put it on it's center stand but it is not easy to do. I'am 70 this year and doing task like that used to be easy but father time catches up with you and they are not easy anymore. Proud to say my wife helps me with that chore and we do it together nicely. She does the rt side. I do not want to be any part of Connie Droppers anonymous just yet.

Dean
I just turned 79 this past January, so over ambitious feats of strength have also become a thing of the past. If I can modify things to work for me without getting too crazy, figuring out those "things" will help keep my mind entertained and active, plus also keeping my shop skills somewhat proficient.

That's the game plan anyway.

When I was younger I never had too much problem getting my C-10s up on the center stand. But now that I'm a fat old fart I was starting to have problems getting #3, my '95 C-10, up on the center stand. Then I got #4, my '06 C-10, and it is actually easy to get it up on the center stand. I don't know if it is because of the 17 inch wheels or the '94-'95 ZX-9 rear shock which is 3/4 inch longer than the OEM Air Shock. I just know that now I never have to worry about getting #4 up on the center stand.

I guess we need someone who has OEM size wheels to replace their air shock with a ZX-9 length rear shock to see if that is what makes it so easy. If anyone is looking to replace their rear air shock, EPM Performance can hook you up with a
logo-YSSs.jpg
replacement shock that will work fine.

Last edited:
When I was younger I never had too much problem getting my C-10s up on the center stand. But now that I'm a fat old fart I was starting to have problems getting #3, my '95 C-10, up on the center stand. Then I got #4, my '06 C-10, and it is actually easy to get it up on the center stand. I don't know if it is because of the 17 inch wheels or the '94-'95 ZX-9 rear shock which is 3/4 inch longer than the OEM Air Shock. I just know that now I never have to worry about getting #4 up on the center stand.

I guess we need someone who has OEM size wheels to replace their air shock with a ZX-9 length rear shock to see if that is what makes it so easy. If anyone is looking to replace their rear air shock, EPM Performance can hook you up with a
logo-YSSs.jpg
replacement shock that will work fine.
My son's 87 has a C14 rear shock and 17" wheels. As you said, it's the easiest of all the bikes to get on the center stand.

As previously mentioned, had a stand coming in from eBay. It arrived last week, and after pressure washing, looks great:

IMG_1293-L.jpg

Next step was figuring out just how much I needed to whack out of the thing. Relied on my overhead to get the bike up on the stand to take some measurements:

IMG_7383-L.jpg

Img_7385-L.jpg

IMG_1290-L.jpg

IMG_7382-L.jpg

I'm thinking somewhere between the Soucy links 1-1/2", to 2".... but may split the diff at 1-3/4". We'll mull that one over for a bit, then move on.

Last edited:
Guy, I have a Soucy Link and C-14 shock on my bike.
If you're planning to remove material above the cross brace, be aware that (on my bike) my center stand cross brace touches the soucy link as I push the center stand down.
As in; I could not move the center stand down to put the bike on the canter stand.
NOTE it doesn't hit when the stand is up or down. It hits at mid stroke.
I removed a bit of material from the end of the Soucy Link to remedy that.

With that in mind, removing 1 1/2" material from the cross brace would probably cause the cross brace to hit badly or bind at mid stroke.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Guy, I have a Soucy Link and C-14 shock on my bike.
If you're planning to remove material above the cross brace, be aware that (on my bike) my center stand cross brace touches the soucy link as I push the center stand down.
As in; I could not move the center stand down to put the bike on the canter stand.
NOTE it doesn't hit when the stand is up or down. It hits at mid stroke.
I removed a bit of material from the end of the Soucy Link to remedy that.

With that in mind, removing 1 1/2" material from the cross brace would probably cause the cross brace to hit badly or bind at mid stroke.

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, if you'll recall, THAT was a concern early on (via a text message) and you mentioned that you had forgot about the possible conflict with the tail end of the Soucy rocker hitting the stand's cross piece.

We're aware of that issue and will address it when I start finalizing the final configuration of this project. I can tack weld things in place, mount the stand, then use my overhead again to get the bike up so I can put the stand through its full movement to make sure there are no issues. If happy, we'll weld the puppy up. If not, we'll make the necessary changes and go from there.

This narrative is long, so please bear with me for the shortening of my centerstand.

Dun!

What I hoped would be a relatively quick and easy mod to shorten a C10 centerstand, turned out to be a little more involved than I anticipated. And all that ā€œstuffā€ about never forgetting how to ride a bike, that apparently doesnā€™t apply to a rookie welder when firing up his TIG (or MIG) machine for the first time in a little over 5 years. Way too much wasted argon for this little adventure, but we eventually got it done. Certainly not my best work - IF ā€“ I ever had anything that could be classified as ā€œbest workā€ should it involve any of my prior welding experience.

For this mod, I settled on taking ~1.75ā€ out of the stand legs (a mistake). The Soucy lowing rocker I previously installed was said to bring the bike down about 1-1/2ā€. With the oversized Gold Wing size tires being mounted, I figured what I took out of the stand legs would put the tire close to the ground, which it did. It actually turned out a little bit lower (and closer) than I had anticipated. Not sure what happened there (angle of the dangle?), but itā€™s still workable.

If necessary (to compensate), I will carry a couple pieces of wood I can put under each stand leg, and they raise the bike up slightly to help get the wheel out from under the bike. Iā€™ve never trimmed the rear fender, so itā€™s always been a PITA unless I have it up on my lift. The one time I had to get it off out on the side of the road, I just dug a shallow trench in the gravel shoulder under the wheel. FWIW ā€“ these are the same pieces of wood I carry with the KLR so its centerstand wouldnā€™t sink in ground when out in the woods. Flimsy rational also had me thinking that if I ever went back to standard tires for the bike (should I live that long and theyā€™re still available), weā€™d be in good shape.

Because the existing cross piece in the stand had to be lowered to clear the rear of the lowering rocker, it meant that I had to find a longer piece due to the angle causing the standā€™s legs to splay out. A local Metal Supermarket was supposed to have what I needed, a length of 4130, 0.065" wall, 1-1/8" OD round tubing in stock, but when I ran down there Monday morning, they didnā€™t. Excuse was that they were having problems with their web pages so their inventory count inaccurate - really. They were a good source when they first opened a few years ago, but since then, their quotes have gotten borderline ridiculous, and their published in-house stock has become questionable. I wound up going online to McMaster-Carr when I got back home since I knew their stuff would be here the next day ā€“ if - they had it; they did. You pay, but I was running out of time so I could get this project taken care of before I left for the Spring Fling over in Cumberland, MD the next week. I also needed some turning bit inserts for my lathe tools, so I added them into the order as well.

The new cross piece was finally cut, shaped, fitted, and tacked into place. I temporarily mounted the stand to the bike to make sure everything cleared the Soucy rocker. Once satisfied everything was good, I finished welding things into place, including the formed, angled OEM braces and the support spring ā€œnookā€ piece that I had removed earlier.

Even with occasional spousal interference with family matters, we managed to get things done. An unexpected surprise reared its head during the final fitting. Even thoā€™ Iā€™d braced and supported the legs for the correct spacing to fit the bikeā€™s frame, once I removed my all-thread support, that distance closed and the stand wouldnā€™t slip into place. Poo! Best I could do was to put my scissors jack between the support mounts, apply pressure, then fire up my rosebud torch and heat the (new) lower cross piece to tweak, and widen the support distance by about Ā¼ā€. Of course, this was after Iā€™d given the stand a nice coat of paint to hide all my sins, but we addressed that once I got it mounted up and tested to make sure it would support the beast. It did and it was relatively easy to elevate the back end of the bike and went into position with no weird noises or tendency to collapse. As a safeguard, I had loosely tethered the bike to my overhead for support ā€“ JIC - during the initial lifting stage.

The aggravation I experienced with this project is nothing should I have experienced a flat out on the road. Been there, done that with the KLR a number of years ago. The rear tubeā€™s valve stem failed and the tire went down. I had installed lowering links on that bike, and because the aftermarket c-stand was then basically useless, I took it off. Fortunately, the driveway I limped to out in the boonies to lay the bikes down to swap out the tube, belonged to a mechanic who had a shop a little further down the driveway. Coincidentally, he pulled up just as I was about to drag out my tools and invited me to take the bike down to his shop so I could use his car lift to get the bike up in the air to fix the flat. Once home, I modified (shortened) that c-stand the following week and got it back on the bike. I didnā€™t want any repeats, since my wife has, graciously, given me some kitchen passes so I can get back out on the road to attend various events. Even with her medical issues, which have improved, she feels she has her bases covered so that I can be away from home for minimal periods of time. I dearly love my wife, but I really want to take advantage of this ā€œnew found freedomā€ while its available.

Anyway, the project was done in time for the first trip that was coming up the following week.

Update:
We, as in ā€œIā€, had no need to use the modified c-stand during the trip. Ironically, my riding companion (another local COG member) did, and he was the one that experienced a flat during the trip. His Tracer had a stand, he had the necessary stuff to fix the flat, and we continued on once confident the tire would hold air. He did, however, get the tire replaced the following day as a precaution due to the size of the puncture hole.

The trip home several days later was uneventful, so end of story.

Pictures:
IMG_1295-L.jpg

Turning internal support sleeves:
IMG_1328-L.jpg

Internal support sleeve inserts:
IMG_1329-L.jpg

IMG_1330-L.jpg

IMG_1336-L.jpg

IMG_1340-L.jpg

IMG_1375-L.jpg

IMG_1350-L.jpg

It ain't perfect, but neither am I, so we live with what we got.

What would you suggest cutting out if on stock suspension? I have a fab table and all the inserts (found them yesterday ā˜ŗļø) and I really need to do this. I heard it's much easier if your back tire was on a 2x4. So that's 3\4 inch maybe add a 16th or an 8th. What do you think?

Last edited:
What would you suggest cutting out if on stock suspension? I have a fab table and all the inserts (found them yesterday ā˜ŗļø) and I really need to do this. I heard it's much easier if your back tire was on a 2x4. So that's 3\4 inch maybe add a 16th or an 8th. What do you think?

Afraid I canā€™t answer that. I never took any measurements with the bike on the c-stand with stock suspension and stock-sized tires. However, I believe taking out Ā¼ā€ and certainly no more than Ā½ā€, would get you in the ballpark for a manageable lift. Iā€™d get the bike in the air and see what your tireā€™s clearance is from its lowest point to the ground and go from there.

A single 2by makes it easier. A double stack of 2by and the center stand goes down with no percevable lift of the bike. I am able to get the blocks out but the tire turns as they slide out. Everything is stock, tire, shock, stand.

A single 2by makes it easier. A double stack of 2by and the center stand goes down with no percevable lift of the bike. I am able to get the blocks out but the tire turns as they slide out. Everything is stock, tire, shock, stand.
While on centerstand , start it up, hold the front brake. Squeeze the clutch and put her in gear, slowly release the clutch and swooosh....out come the blocks with zero effort....lol

Hi everyone, putting c-10 Connie center stand it's very easy stop, and thing about what you are trying to do watch video on youtube.