• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PUTTING THE CONCOURS ON A LIFT

RICHKAWI

I've had a Harbor Freight lift for a couple of years now and it works great for my Z900RS as well as my kids bikes (Z900, ZZR600 & Ninja 250). My biggest concern with the C14 is getting it onto and off of the lift. I put a locking wheel chock on the front of the lift to hold the bikes while I add tie downs or a swing arm stand. Of course this means that a proper heave is required when backing the bike off the lift.
The C14 is a good bit heavier than the bikes that I'm used to and it is top heavy too! It will probably have to be ridden onto the lift. (I walk alongside the other bikes and push them along when putting them on the lift). I built a 10" wide wood platform alongside the lift with the idea that I can walk alongside the C14 while feathering the clutch in order to get it on, but still not sure how to back it off.
Any works of wisdom would be appreciated.

Rich

Probably not words of wisdom from me, but I ride it on and into the stock clamp that is adjusted slightly snug. I put the side stand down. Get off the bike then get up on the lift and put it on the center stand. To make things easier I take the seat off. One day I'll add something to the bed of the lift to make it wider. Somebody said if you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.🙂

After dropping my C-10 while removing it from the lift (by myself).
I now have someone help steady the bike when loading or unloading from the table.

Ride safe, Ted.

I thought you sent me that pic Ted. Send it again and I'll post it. You know they wanna see it!

No picture. Was busy applying bandages..
Luckily, I can dodge really fast. (when 600 lbs is falling on me)
Unfortunately, I wasn't quite fast enough.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I was thinking that the original (or aftermarket) wheel clamp and center stand might work better. At least I won't have to jerk the bike backwards to get it off the stand.

I ride mine on. No extra width, stock chock. I usually have someone standing by just in case. I like the idea of removing the seat

It helps a lot. I can still flat foot the bike as the front wheel climbs the ramp.

I bolted 2 2X10's onto milk crates. When riding the bike onto the lift I use the extend foot purchase of the board + milk crate to allow me to use my feet to balance the slow delicate movement. Then I pack it away to work on the bike. When backing the bike off the stand, I again use the board + milk crate to allow easy balance with my feet to back off the lift.

I have always been able to do this by my self and I don't have difficulty with my situation to store the milk crate + board adaptor. I have been eyeing another lift that has detachable wings for just this purpose and I believe they would take up less space to store.

I bolted 2 2X10's onto milk crates. When riding the bike onto the lift I use the extend foot purchase of the board + milk crate to allow me to use my feet to balance the slow delicate movement. Then I pack it away to work on the bike. When backing the bike off the stand, I again use the board + milk crate to allow easy balance with my feet to back off the lift.

I have always been able to do this by my self and I don't have difficulty with my situation to store the milk crate + board adaptor. I have been eyeing another lift that has detachable wings for just this purpose and I believe they would take up less space to store.
Nice easy solution!!

It is a bit delicate to get the 1400 on a harbor freight lift. I bough mine used and didn't get the wheel clamp that it comes with. However, I did make my own but is it really just a stopping point. To make it possible to get off I built a kickstand pad that allows me to set the bike securely and dismount without too much drama. I bought some steel square tubing and plan to build removable side boards that are a couple inches higher than the lift deck. I have also used a properly positioned milk crate to make it easier to get on and off my Connie.

I have also noticed this lift isn't all that stable like it is when my Hayabusa is on it. I have been thinking about a better way stabilize this lift when its up high or anywhere in between. Its a lot of work to drill all the holes and weld up all the custom brackets to make all of this work. I also need to build a custom rear axel lift because my Busa rear axel lift is exactly the wrong width to lift my Concours.

If I complete it I believe it will be well worth it... having a motorcycle securely lifted gives good piece of mind.

There is a posting on the Z900RS site where a person cut out a section of the concrete slab in his garage and installed the lift flush with the top of slab. It required rerouting the hydraulic hose to a separate foot pump but it looked slick and worked well.
Too bad my landlord won't let me do the same.

I bought one 7 - 8 years ago, used it one time & decided it was to much hassle. Just as easy for me to do everything on the floor. Can usually be done with most service I'm doing quicker than the time it takes to get it on the lift & strapped down ready to work.

My lift is a dust collector. 😬

It is a bit delicate to get the 1400 on a harbor freight lift. I bough mine used and didn't get the wheel clamp that it comes with. However, I did make my own but is it really just a stopping point. To make it possible to get off I built a kickstand pad that allows me to set the bike securely and dismount without too much drama. I bought some steel square tubing and plan to build removable side boards that are a couple inches higher than the lift deck. I have also used a properly positioned milk crate to make it easier to get on and off my Connie.

I have also noticed this lift isn't all that stable like it is when my Hayabusa is on it. I have been thinking about a better way stabilize this lift when its up high or anywhere in between. Its a lot of work to drill all the holes and weld up all the custom brackets to make all of this work. I also need to build a custom rear axel lift because my Busa rear axel lift is exactly the wrong width to lift my Concours.

If I complete it I believe it will be well worth it... having a motorcycle securely lifted gives good piece of mind.
Do you put the big pin in and lower it a bit to make it tight? I have never been concerned with the stability as long as the bike is secure.I made a clamp to bolt my centerstand to the lift.

I bought one 7 - 8 years ago, used it one time & decided it was to much hassle. Just as easy for me to do everything on the floor. Can usually be done with most service I'm doing quicker than the time it takes to get it on the lift & strapped down ready to work.

I do all my wheel work on the floor. I like the lift for valve adjustment. It is also handy for restoration work. Keep a lot of the parts underneath the lift. We have long winters so I store the bike that needs the most work on the lift. When its empty I use it as a table/bench.

I walk along the side with the bike running in 1st gear, Using the clutch I power it up on the lift. Once on the lift I put it on the center stand using a small step stool. The factory harbor frieght tire clamp works fine for me & clamps enough of the front tire even with my 1400 on the center stand. All this takes about a minute. I . I do usually do this with help from my wife but have done it by myself.

Do you put the big pin in and lower it a bit to make it tight? I have never been concerned with the stability as long as the bike is secure.I made a clamp to bolt my centerstand to the lift.
Huh? I will take a look because I didn't know a big pin was part of the lift.

Clamp on the center stand? Sounds like a plan... accessories for a lift...

There is a long rod that is 5/8 or larger diameter that passes through some holes in the scissor. Once inserted, pressure can be released from the hydraulic cylinder and the long rod holds the load instead of the hydraulic cylinder.

Because I don't have a 34 inch inseam. Feet are flat on the floor. As you go up the ramp, the reach to the floor increases. I like that extra gained by removing the seat.

There is a long rod that is 5/8 or larger diameter that passes through some holes in the scissor. Once inserted, pressure can be released from the hydraulic cylinder and the long rod holds the load instead of the hydraulic cylinder.
Thanks for the update... This lift became mine for a $100 a few years ago... I couldn't pass it up.

I'm a visual guy and would love to see videos of what some of you guys are using for lifts and how you're getting your bike on and off them safely. I'd also like to see where your positioning the lift in order to prevent damage to the headers and cowling.

I'm a visual guy and would love to see videos of what some of you guys are using for lifts and how you're getting your bike on and off them safely. I'd also like to see where your positioning the lift in order to prevent damage to the headers and cowling.
We are talking the platform lifts that you ride or push the bike into.

I got that. I meant I'd like to see how you're getting them on the lift and stabilizing them.
The positioning to prevent damage to headers through me.
I just go around the forks at the lower trees. F it's going to be on there all winter I have a setup to bolt the center stand down.

Same here . I had the harbor freight table lift . Worked great for our dirtbikes but once my son took those it was too sketchy for my c10 . I have been eyeing the larger wider lifts but those are pretty expensive .

I got that. I meant I'd like to see how you're getting them on the lift and stabilizing them.

I walked alongside of mine & then put it on the center stand same as I would on the floor. Once I removed the wheels I added a couple straps so that I could roll the lift since it was going to be apart a several days. Other than that nothing was done different, I used the same scissor jack under the header to support the bike.

This was my one & only time to use the lift, to me it would have been done just as easily on the floor.

Attachments

• 20200313_142242_resized.jpg
    20200313_142242_resized.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 209
I made these wooden side boards that extend about 3 feet beyond the end of the lift. It's very easy getting the bike onto the lift. Getting the bike out of the chock takes a few grunts. When I change tires I switch in the original chock so I can put the bike on the center stand. I've used this lift many time with the C14 and a BMW 1150 RT. What a back saver.

Attachments

• bikepic.jpg
    bikepic.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 191
Put mine on the lift today. As I always do had a couple buddies to steady the bike. Took seat off to rise on, thanks! Great idea. Here is a pic of how I fasten mine to the lift when it's going to be up there a long time.

Attachments

• PXL_20211104_213257056.jpg
    PXL_20211104_213257056.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 155
  • PXL_20211104_213312696.jpg
    PXL_20211104_213312696.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 167
You know, I'm envisioning a bear trap type clamp for the front wheel. When you drive the bike up onto the ramp and the weight of the front tire lands on top of that spring activated (or motorized?) clamp it grabs just enough of the front wheel to keep it from tipping. That way you don't have to have two guys. To get the bike off you'll need to have side boards (for those who can flat-foot the bike) and just walk it off backward like you do in a parking lot.

But that's just me over-engineering things. Then again, I wouldn't be having my machine torn apart often enough to necessitate a one-man clamp much less an entire lift. LOL :^ )

You know, I'm envisioning a bear trap type clamp for the front wheel. When you drive the bike up onto the ramp and the weight of the front tire lands on top of that spring activated (or motorized?) clamp it grabs just enough of the front wheel to keep it from tipping. That way you don't have to have two guys. To get the bike off you'll need to have side boards (for those who can flat-foot the bike) and just walk it off backward like you do in a parking lot.

But that's just me over-engineering things. Then again, I wouldn't be having my machine torn apart often enough to necessitate a one-man clamp much less an entire lift. LOL :^ )
1636113923516.pngI know several guys that trailer their bikes to the track with only these chocks to hold them up. I'm not that brave, so I add a couple straps for peace of mind. But, I think on a lift this would be just the ticket. As you go over-center on the cradle it squeezes the front tire and holds the bike very securely. You can't see them, but there are holes in the channel that the pivot is mounted on so you can bolt it down.

I made these wooden side boards that extend about 3 feet beyond the end of the lift. It's very easy getting the bike onto the lift. Getting the bike out of the chock takes a few grunts. When I change tires I switch in the original chock so I can put the bike on the center stand. I've used this lift many time with the C14 and a BMW 1150 RT. What a back saver.

1636367412834.png

I have had a HF lift for years and made similar side extensions that are complete boxed in. They are the same height as the lift table when collapsed. They work well but are clumsily heavy and space hogs to store.

1636368254710.jpeg

I made one for each side to allow riding up on the lift, but found that just pushing bikes up on it is pretty easy, even the C10, which I can do without the extensions in place.

I use the left hand side extension to get the bike on the CS. It felt a little spooky the first few times but now it seems normal. Always put tie downs for security.

When I first got the lift I was terrified at how unstable it seemed when fully extended with 700# of motorcycle on it - worried about having the whole thing tip over. With use, I found it is secure and have had both wheels off for tire changes and done many other maintenance and repair jobs - don't know how I lived without it.

Now I want to convert it to an air / hydraulic pump which is really slick.

Last edited:
I've had a Harbor Freight lift for a couple of years now and it works great for my Z900RS as well as my kids bikes (Z900, ZZR600 & Ninja 250). My biggest concern with the C14 is getting it onto and off of the lift. I put a locking wheel chock on the front of the lift to hold the bikes while I add tie downs or a swing arm stand. Of course this means that a proper heave is required when backing the bike off the lift.
The C14 is a good bit heavier than the bikes that I'm used to and it is top heavy too! It will probably have to be ridden onto the lift. (I walk alongside the other bikes and push them along when putting them on the lift). I built a 10" wide wood platform alongside the lift with the idea that I can walk alongside the C14 while feathering the clutch in order to get it on, but still not sure how to back it off.
Any works of wisdom would be appreciated.

Rich
I have the same type lift only from Princess auto (canada). I also found the stock clamp to be insufficient. Built one of my own because the "wheel clamp" commonly used on or in trailers is not conducive to getting the bike OFF the lift without extra width being added. A large wheel vice now holds the bike in place. I can tighten the vice with one foot while holding the bike straight and vice versa for taking the bike off. No tugging required , just roll on and roll off.

I have had a HF lift for years and made similar side extensions that are complete boxed in. They are the same height as the lift table when collapsed. They work well but are clumsily heavy and space hogs to store.

View attachment 30859

I made one for each side to allow riding up on the lift, but found that just pushing bikes up on it is pretty easy, even the C10, which I can do without the extensions in place.

I use the left hand side extension to get the bike on the CS. It felt a little spooky the first few times but now it seems normal. Always put tie downs for security.

When I first got the lift I was terrified at how unstable it seemed when fully extended with 700# of motorcycle on it - worried about having the whole thing tip over. With use, I found it is secure and have had both wheels off for tire changes and done many other maintenance and repair jobs - don't know how I lived without it.

Now I want to convert it to an air / hydraulic pump which is really slick.
The lift I purchased many years ago did come with an air / hydraulic pump. It worked well for light bikes but struggled lifting Gold Wings.
The foot pump is not that slow and works well enough for me. I have made a set of side step boxes as well but never use them anymore since building a wheel vice. Now just roll on and roll off while walking beside bike.