• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Questions from a first-time rally-goer!!

x01660

On a Connie in a neighborhood near you
Hello, COGers!!

I joined up on here because after years of looking at different bikes, and a serendipitous visit to Washington DC Craigslist, I found myself as the proud owner of a 2005 C10. The PO told me about COG, I came on here and saw the wealth of information, and decided to join.

This rally coming up will be not only my first COG Rally, but my first rally in general. With as many miles as I ride, I'm a solo, long distance rider (or with my best buddy) and commuter. I never really got into the social aspect of motorcycling, other than on forums online.

I've tried attending a few "bike nights" and went on ONE group ride (never again), but it wasn't really my vibe. Lots of bravado and engine revving and stunting.....

So I guess my main question is what can I expect from a COG Rally? What's the ratio of socializing to riding? How does it all work? Do we break off into different groups?

Give a newbie some tips and info about doing this!

I'll be coming solo, and I'm gonna want to go hit some twisties. Hard. If possible.

Love to hear what you all have to say, and see you all in August!

-x01660

Great question - COG rallies are different than the likes of Bike Weeks and such.
I feel the primary purpose of COG rallies and other multi-day COG events (national or regional) is to bring club member together in person.
They generally involve riding and socializing. Some choose to ride solo. Some choose to ride with groups of friends they already know or ones they just met. Riders can venture out and explore on their own, or choose to use a provided GPS sample to create their own ride. After riding, socializing takes place.... in the parking lot, patio, or other places around the venue... The national usually has a little bit of structure to socializing opportunities. To get an idea of what can be expected I suggest reviewing the schedule from the 2023 National:

Great question - COG rallies are different than the likes of Bike Weeks and such.
I feel the primary purpose of COG rallies and other multi-day COG events (national or regional) is to bring club member together in person.
They generally involve riding and socializing. Some choose to ride solo. Some choose to ride with groups of friends they already know or ones they just met. Riders can venture out and explore on their own, or choose to use a provided GPS sample to create their own ride. After riding, socializing takes place.... in the parking lot, patio, or other places around the venue... The national usually has a little bit of structure to socializing opportunities. To get an idea of what can be expected I suggest reviewing the schedule from the 2023 National:

This is fantastic!!! Thank you! Definitely looking forward to the Tech sessions. That seems RIGHT up my alley!

Looking forward to this. From what you've described (and the 2023 calendar), this seems a lot more like what I'd like. :)

-x01660

I went last year to my first rally. You not going to find this "Lots of bravado and engine revving and stunting.....".
What you are going to find is a friendly, smart and a Concours passionate group of people.
I suggest signing up to help out with a few things and the rest will fall into to place.
You will not be disappointed.

If you were looking at Washington DC craigslist you must be in the DMV area. Whereabouts? I am in Chantilly VA. I know what you mean about group rides. I have bene on a few and they can be a challenge. I rode off road for awhile too. The adage is the same - if you want to ride fast, ride alone, if you want to have fun ride with a group.

If you were looking at Washington DC craigslist you must be in the DMV area. Whereabouts? I am in Chantilly VA. I know what you mean about group rides. I have bene on a few and they can be a challenge. I rode off road for awhile too. The adage is the same - if you want to ride fast, ride alone, if you want to have fun ride with a group.

I'm a mile north of Howard University, right off Georgia Ave. :)

You're close. Let's ride sometime. I ride daily. :)

-x01660

Hello, COGers!!

I joined up on here because after years of looking at different bikes, and a serendipitous visit to Washington DC Craigslist, I found myself as the proud owner of a 2005 C10. The PO told me about COG, I came on here and saw the wealth of information, and decided to join.

This rally coming up will be not only my first COG Rally, but my first rally in general. With as many miles as I ride, I'm a solo, long distance rider (or with my best buddy) and commuter. I never really got into the social aspect of motorcycling, other than on forums online.

I've tried attending a few "bike nights" and went on ONE group ride (never again), but it wasn't really my vibe. Lots of bravado and engine revving and stunting.....

So I guess my main question is what can I expect from a COG Rally? What's the ratio of socializing to riding? How does it all work? Do we break off into different groups?

Give a newbie some tips and info about doing this!

I'll be coming solo, and I'm gonna want to go hit some twisties. Hard. If possible.

Love to hear what you all have to say, and see you all in August!

-x01660
Definitely go to.the gathering of newbies. As more and.more of the agenda gets completed in the next few months, suggested routes will get posted. That'll give u plenty of time to plan where u wanna go and do the attractions you'll want to do. There's usually a big list of suggested attractions, anywhere for 5-500 miles away. Yes! There are those that will ride mega miles. There is usually group or group postings at rally central,.so.check in daily....

Definitely go to.the gathering of newbies. As more and.more of the agenda gets completed in the next few months, suggested routes will get posted. That'll give u plenty of time to plan where u wanna go and do the attractions you'll want to do. There's usually a big list of suggested attractions, anywhere for 5-500 miles away. Yes! There are those that will ride mega miles. There is usually group or group postings at rally central,.so.check in daily....

Best part is I'm in DC. So WV isn't that far, no matter where it is. Looking forward to it. Maybe I'll slab down to TN, and do Tail of the Dragon, then BRP and Skyline Drive and then ride through to the rally.... Take a week off.... That would be nice.....

šŸ˜Ž

-x01660

If you go south to Tail of the Dragon, look at Cherohola Skyway and Wayah Rd into Franklin NC. And check out Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley. Worth the ride. I did Tail all of those last year on my Triumph Sprint Sport. Then decided to get a Concours. Would be an awesome ride on a Concours.

As Steve said, COG rallies at NOT your typical rally, and when COG people get together a group for a ride, it's also not a typical group.
We're involved with a motorcycle ministry and have gone on many group rides like you described...NOT my thing!
The largest group I've been a part of at a COG rally was about 8 bikes. You find a group that rides at a similar pace as you, and have a great day. There also lots of smaller groups, 2-4, that form. The best part is the company at breaks and meals.
The evening socializing is typically friendly, laid back, and simply great.
You will see many couples (my wife always attends, on her Vulcan-S last few years), men and ladies on their own, and every brand of bike out there.
I heard a good description a few years ago: you'll get to see many of your good friends, some which you have not met yet!
Looking forward to meeting you face-face.

AHHHH!!! Y'all are heartwarming! Really. :) I'm REALLY looking forward to this rally. And to meeting all of you in person and putting faces and voices to online handles!

I dunno if I can do anything to help, but if I can, I will. I like doing delivery stuff, so maybe if people get stuck or need gas or whatever, I'd be more than happy to be the support dude.

In any case, thank you all for the insights! Please keep responding here, but yeah. Consider me convinced!

And I was serious about the helping out thing. My day job is IT Director for an MSP, and I moonlight as a DoorDasher. So if anyone needs anything I can help with, let me know. :)

-x01660

That sounds like it keeps you busy...Do you sleep?
Lol. Yes, actually. I'm pretty good about work/life balance. MSP work is 7am-5pm, Doordash is 6pm-10pm, in bed by midnight. And I will spend 1 weekend day having fun, and the other gets split between chores and work.

It's a lot, but im still young, and weddings and houses won't pay for themselves....

šŸ˜Ž

-x01660

The clubā€™s always needing I-T help, talk to Steve Smith about that. Iā€™ve found a good way to meet people is to help with check in. Everyone comes by eventually. Another way is to hang around the parking area and swap stories.

If you want to come to Maggie Valley, youā€™re invited to the SE area Beat the Heat weekend in the summer, along with everyone else. Itā€™s a hotel based gathering near the BRP, Wheels Through Time, and those other places. Camping is nearby if youā€™d prefer. Watch the Events Calendar. Welcome!

Ron

Lol. Yes, actually. I'm pretty good about work/life balance. MSP work is 7am-5pm, Doordash is 6pm-10pm, in bed by midnight. And I will spend 1 weekend day having fun, and the other gets split between chores and work.

It's a lot, but im still young, and weddings and houses won't pay for themselves....

šŸ˜Ž

-x01660

Iā€™m still Young myself (no pun intended ā€“ close to turning 80, actually) but still ride every day on one of my three bikes. Approaching the 30-year mark with this Group, and joining was one of the best decisions Iā€™ve ever made. For me, long distance touring may be a thing of the past, but Iā€™m signed up for the NE Area Spring Fling in Wellsboro (PA), and the National over in WV. Should you make it to either one, I look forward to meeting you in person.

Iā€™m still Young myself (no pun intended ā€“ close to turning 80, actually) but still ride every day on one of my three bikes. Approaching the 30-year mark with this Group, and joining was one of the best decisions Iā€™ve ever made. For me, long distance touring may be a thing of the past, but Iā€™m signed up for the NE Area Spring Fling in Wellsboro (PA), and the National over in WV. Should you make it to either one, I look forward to meeting you in person.

Likewise!!! I'll try to get out to PA as well. That isn't that far either!

Basically, if there's anyone or an even that's within about 300 miles of DC, I'll do my best to be there. That's a day trip for me!

If someone can point me in the right direction to sign up to help with sign in, I'll be more than happy to do that.

And I was serious about the support deal. If y'all need an errand runner or a chaser to help with gas, tools, supplies, etc, I'd love to do that. Make sure everyone gets there in once piece. :)

-x01660

If someone can point me in the right direction to sign up to help with sign in, I'll be more than happy to do that.

And I was serious about the support deal. If y'all need an errand runner or a chaser to help with gas, tools, supplies, etc, I'd love to do that. Make sure everyone gets there in once piece. :)

-x01660

Thanks for offering to volunteer...

Take a look at this rally team (volunteers) web page and see which teams interest you. https://concours.org/national/2024-Rally/RallyTeam/
The rally team still needs a few task coordinators. Task team volunteer time-slot sign up will happen in 2024.
You can be on more than one task team and different time slots.
The task teams that require the larger number of volunteers are On-Site Check-in and Greeters.

Thanks for offering to volunteer...

Take a look at this rally team (volunteers) web page and see which teams interest you. https://concours.org/national/2024-Rally/RallyTeam/
The rally team still needs a few task coordinators. Task team volunteer time-slot sign up will happen in 2024.
You can be on more than one task team and different time slots.
The task teams that require the larger number of volunteers are On-Site Check-in and Greeters.

Emergency Bike Retrieval team; what's involved in that? And do I need to have a truck?

-x01660

Emergency Bike Retrieval team; what's involved in that? And do I need to have a truck?

-x01660

Being available to help if a call comes in, and/or (ideally) having a truck with a suitable loading ramp, or a vehicle and a trailer. I had my Explorer and a trailer at Natural Bridge when I hosted a leg of the National in Y2K. Used it a couple of times retrieving bikes. Normally, I would have ridden, but I had to carry so much ā€œstuffā€ over there I had no other option.

Being available to help if a call comes in, and/or (ideally) having a truck with a suitable loading ramp, or a vehicle and a trailer. I had my Explorer and a trailer at Natural Bridge when I hosted a leg of the National in Y2K. Used it a couple of times retrieving bikes. Normally, I would have ridden, but I had to carry so much ā€œstuffā€ over there I had no other option.

Well.... I don't have a truck, but.... could a C10 pull another C10 with a trailer? Or is that asking too much?

Otherwise, I can help with tools, gas, food, water, etc. :)

-x01660

-x01660, I'm gonna make some suggestions for your first National bekuz many MANY moons ago, I was a First Timer too.

I suggest;
1) Volunteer to help in registration for a shift or 2.
(You'll meet people, learn a bit about what's going on, and people will begin to recognize you).
2) Attend the First Timer meeting, and Ice Cream Social. (Particularly the First Timer meeting)
(You'll meet people, learn a bit about what's going on, and people will begin to recognize you).
3) In the afternoons go out in the parking lot, join in the bench racing, help someone tinker with their bike, and join in the discussions).
4) In the late evenings, look for a gathering in the courtyard or registration area.
5) Introduce yourself to the COGdom..

Unfortunately; There is 1 negative that happens at the Nationals, and (also Unfortunately) it happens to the First Timers.
That negative is; Sometimes the First Timers don't get to meet people, don't learn a bit about what's going on, and people don't begin to recognize them).
The result is; The First Timers go home unhappy that they had to ride alone and/or didn't feel welcome.

NOTE: The Negative happens because us old Timers are busy meeting old friends, and riding with them.
THIS IN NOT ON PURPOSE!!! We REALLY want the First Timers to enjoy the COGdom!
(But, were so busy seeing old buddies that we forget to include the First Timers). OOPS!!!
:eek:
So, I'm adding #6 to my list.

#6) In all of the things I listed above,
Do NOT be afraid to join in the discussions.
DO ask for help or ask if you can join in on a ride!
DO Stick your hand out, shake hands, and join in!

(You'll meet people, learn a bit about what's going on, people will begin to recognize you, and you'll have a Heck of a good time!).

Ride safe, Ted

PS:
1) Did I mention that we want you to meet people, learn a bit about what's going on, we want to begin to recognize you, and we WANT you to have a heck of a good time).
2) (On the Forum) Stop using -x01660 and sign out with your name.
(It's easier for us Old Guys to recognize the new Guys when we have a name).

Last edited:
Well.... I don't have a truck, but.... could a C10 pull another C10 with a trailer? Or is that asking too much?
Otherwise, I can help with tools, gas, food, water, etc. :)

-x01660
Admirable, but there will probably be others there with the necessary vehicles - there always is since a number of folks trailer in. The latter would be more than enough. I'm not on the Rally staff, but just the offer would be most appreciated.

Having pulled a camping trailer with a couple hundred pounds of gear in the hold, u wouldn't want to do that to ur bike. Too much weight to negotiate turns and stopping with.

Having pulled a camping trailer with a couple hundred pounds of gear in the hold, u wouldn't want to do that to ur bike. Too much weight to negotiate turns and stopping with.
Iā€™ve had my overloaded trailer try to scoot the backend of my Connie around on a wet downhill turn over there. Too easy to happen if you tend to get a little rambunctious in those conditions.

All good advice to a new COG rally attendee, here is some more sage advice.

If you buy my beer at the rally, I will impart to you my vast, seemingly unbelievable, mostly kinda true, always funny, sometimes head scratchin knowledge of all things that I know of COG that spews forth from my benevolent Strawboss cranium. The amount of beer consumed is directly proportionate to said knowledge. That's just the first night.

If you buy my beer at the rally, I will impart to you my vast, seemingly unbelievable, mostly kinda true, always funny, sometimes head scratchin knowledge of all things that I know of COG that spews forth from my benevolent Strawboss cranium. The amount of beer consumed is directly proportionate to said knowledge. That's just the first night.

Guinness, Shiner Bock, or (my go to) Old Rasputin? I've got two saddlebags and not a whole lot to put in them!

šŸ¤£

-Zak

Well, I'll put it out there now, so as to get ahead of any ribbing or rivalry I may end up having. Stouts or nuthin'. Specifically imperial stouts. Y'all can keep the light beers to yourselves, lol!

Yes, they've changed the label since I've last had it. Oh, no, don't bring it from home. I find walmart carries a few local IPA's and the rest is major market IPA's and major market American yellow water.

Geez, "WHY" didn't I think about that?

Ride safe, Ted

I've have experienced this, worth every penny.