• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

R1200GS Adventure!

RoadKillHeaven

All I can say is WOW!
If I had the $$, I'd have it in a heart beat!
Such a smooth bike. I've owned R1100S in the past. This R1200GS is like riding in a tub filled with double cream.

Cheers... 

I like the GS, and have owned a 2013 Adventure. I thought about buying a GS as a second bike, but decided to buy an R1200R instead. With a windshield it is essentially a lower, sportier and nicer looking GS. A bit lighter too. 

Bud said:
Sounds like there's a story hiding in there somewhere.  Let's hear it.
I got a chance to ride 16MY GS adventure when I met an old friend I haven't seen in many years. He'd been talking then of getting a bike. I wasn't sure if he was serious back then. I guess he was.
So, we met at a store, both riding bikes that day. I don't usually do bike swap. That day was an exception because who could abstain from trying a Beemer?!

I always liked ADV bikes. I've owned Vee for over 4 years. I loved it, fond memories. But one of the niggles about it was engine position. In the summer your thighs and crotch area would cook from the heat of rear cylinder. In the winter, wind protection was less than adequate and you had to layer up to stay warm.
GS adventure offers massive amount of wind protection. The fuel tank fairing is so wide, it hides you almost completely. Windscreen and side winglets do wonderful job deflecting air stream away from torso, helmet, which translates into very quiet ride. There was no perceptible heat from the engine. I remember that from R1100S.

He was hesitant to get on my S.S. C14, I convinced him that it wasn't that bad. Just don't twist go :motonoises: handle too much.  :)

We rode to his house (maybe 3 miles). I had wonderful time riding such an obedient ADV bike. Compared to c14 steering was light. It seemed handlebars were positioned to accommodate his long ape-like limbs (he is 6'3"), which made me lean forward a bit more. DBW throttle felt weird at first. There was no "jerking" I sometimes get from C14 when shifting gears. I would compare DBW to electric assisted steering in a car which disconnects - in most cases - steering wheel from the road, making it light and vague. Clutch was on par with C14, soft and with good modulation. There was a smidge more vibration from the engine at normal revs where C14 is vibration free. Vibes were more like pulses, very soft, not tiring or hand numbing. Seat (he had upgraded, fitted to his posterior, Motorrad seat) was, I didn't want to get off - that comfortable. I didn't have time to try all Beemer's bells and whistles, too short of a ride.
We're about the same weight, so suspension was set up right and responded to my shenanigans with aplomb!
Riding "sport-ish" touring bike, I've forgotten how plush ADV bike suspension is. GS simply absorbed all road imperfections as I rode through streets of Redmond.
I have to say GS is as nimble as C14, minus the explosive acceleration if revs kept at or above 6K. Boxer engine runs out of breath above those revs.

P.S
I haven't tried any other luxury Adventure bikes - but I can say if Ewan McGregor had chosen to travel around the world with his mate using GS Beemers - it is a mighty good testament to a motorcycle! 

Cheers...

RoadKillHeaven said:
Bud said:
Sounds like there's a story hiding in there somewhere.  Let's hear it.
I got a chance to ride 16MY GS adventure when I met an old friend I haven't seen in many years. He'd been talking then of getting a bike. I wasn't sure if he was serious back then. I guess he was.
So, we met at a store, both riding bikes that day. I don't usually do bike swap. That day was an exception because who could abstain from trying a Beemer?!

I always liked ADV bikes. I've owned Vee for over 4 years. I loved it, fond memories. But one of the niggles about it was engine position. In the summer your thighs and crotch area would cook from the heat of rear cylinder. In the winter, wind protection was less than adequate and you had to layer up to stay warm.
GS adventure offers massive amount of wind protection. The fuel tank fairing is so wide, it hides you almost completely. Windscreen and side winglets do wonderful job deflecting air stream away from torso, helmet, which translates into very quiet ride. There was no perceptible heat from the engine. I remember that from R1100S.

He was hesitant to get on my S.S. C14, I convinced him that it wasn't that bad. Just don't twist go :motonoises: handle too much.  :)

We rode to his house (maybe 3 miles). I had wonderful time riding such an obedient ADV bike. Compared to c14 steering was light. It seemed handlebars were positioned to accommodate his long ape-like limbs (he is 6'3"), which made me lean forward a bit more. DBW throttle felt weird at first. There was no "jerking" I sometimes get from C14 when shifting gears. I would compare DBW to electric assisted steering in a car which disconnects - in most cases - steering wheel from the road, making it light and vague. Clutch was on par with C14, soft and with good modulation. There was a smidge more vibration from the engine at normal revs where C14 is vibration free. Vibes were more like pulses, very soft, not tiring or hand numbing. Seat (he had upgraded, fitted to his posterior, Motorrad seat) was, I didn't want to get off - that comfortable. I didn't have time to try all Beemer's bells and whistles, too short of a ride.
We're about the same weight, so suspension was set up right and responded to my shenanigans with aplomb!
Riding "sport-ish" touring bike, I've forgotten how plush ADV bike suspension is. GS simply absorbed all road imperfections as I rode through streets of Redmond.
I have to say GS is as nimble as C14, minus the explosive acceleration if revs kept at or above 6K. Boxer engine runs out of breath above those revs.

P.S
I haven't tried any other luxury Adventure bikes - but I can say if Ewan McGregor had chosen to travel around the world with his mate using GS Beemers - it is a mighty good testament to a motorcycle! 

Cheers...

If BMW provided me 3 free brand new motorcycles and support for the trip, I think I would accept them to.  They first wanted to ride KTM's but KTM declined them.

I have owed and put many of mile on a couple of BMWGS's (1100 and 1150).  I haven't owned the 1200, but have ridden a couple, there is no doubt they are great bikes.  I have since moved on to the Super Tenere, and I find it is just as capable bike for a ton less money.