• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

R1200RS

lieu910

Moped
I have a 2017R, that I enjoy as a light second bike. Very versatile, great features, fun to ride.

The RS is on paper is much the same bike as my R. However, I test rode a 2017 used RS today, and I am completely blown away by how different they are.

The handling of the RS felt much sharper compared to my R. Perhaps because of the ergonomics and more weight on the front end. The RS also had the rider pro package, which gives you corner abs, and the hotter dynamic engine mode. Noticeable difference compared to my R.

Also, I noticed immediately the small fairing of the RS allowed me to travel at highway speeds with a great deal more comfort and stability.

I may decide to go to an RS as my second bike. Only 12lbs heavier than my R and a bunch more fun! 

To be honest, I had to visit the BMW website to better understand what you were describing.  But I can see the appeal of the RS and the fairing.  I went from my old C-10 to an R1200GS about a month ago, and the difference the loss of fairing made was significant. 

55 degrees with some light rain/mist this morning, and I was quite a bit cooler than I would have been on the Connie.  The C-10 was exceptional in this weather, as the rain was so light that I would have easily slipped through without the need for extra rain gear/prep.

MizzouMike said:
To be honest, I had to visit the BMW website to better understand what you were describing.  But I can see the appeal of the RS and the fairing.  I went from my old C-10 to an R1200GS about a month ago, and the difference the loss of fairing made was significant. 

55 degrees with some light rain/mist this morning, and I was quite a bit cooler than I would have been on the Connie.  The C-10 was exceptional in this weather, as the rain was so light that I would have easily slipped through without the need for extra rain gear/prep.

You'll enjoy the GS, it's a great bike.

Even here in San Diego, the protection and aerodynamics of a faired bike seem necessary to me. Here I have to jump on an expressway to even get to the B roads, In this case the RS was more comfortable at those speeds.   

Made the trade.

Love this bike! The handling is so stable and accurate, it just hunkers down and locks into a line. Incredible fun, comfortable, plenty pf power and light!

Attachments

• IMG_4615 (1).jpg
    IMG_4615 (1).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 126
Nice little upgrade ya got there. 

Getting my ducks in a row for a S1000XR.
Rode one on at the Motorrad trailer this summer, and
I was hooked.  Just gotta sell a few vital organs and BAM!

I really have to stop test riding bikes.  :rotflmao:

Mcfly said:

I haven't tried the S1000XR yet, but I imagine someday I will need to do that. Will you keep the C14, or will the S1000XR replace it?

TJ said:
Mcfly said:

I haven't tried the S1000XR yet, but I imagine someday I will need to do that. Will you keep the C14, or will the S1000XR replace it?

Heh heh...  The Connie in my stable is a C-10.  That's a toughie...  With all the work into the bike, it's a tough
bike to part with...  If I have two bikes, the garage issue will be bad.  For now.... I guess I'll have two bikes.  :)

Mcfly said:
TJ said:
Mcfly said:

Heh heh...  The Connie in my stable is a C-10.  That's a toughie...  With all the work into the bike, it's a tough
bike to part with...  If I have two bikes, the garage issue will be bad.  For now.... I guess I'll have two bikes.  :)

Garage issue be darned. I have a similar issue. Wife and bikes in garage, daddy outside. Of course, it's San Diego, so no great hardship. Having two or more bikes is pure bliss.