• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Race Tech Suspension Upgrade

danmcdermott

I recently had my front and rear suspension overhauled with Race Tech gold valves and springs. Most threads I came across are for the traxxion cartridges and a penske rear shock. I tried this because it was less expensive and I wanted to provide a write up.

To begin my coucours has 60k on it, I am a 200lb rider that carries 30 lbs of gear 90% of the time. I am not a racer or an aggressive rider and likely do not ride the bike to within 50% of what it can do. I ride 20k miles per year with 75% of that being commuting and city riding. Each year I take a extended ride (about 4-7k).

The front forks were re-sprung for my weight and luggage and had the type 3 gold valve kit and rebound kit installed along with a general rebuild including seals and fluid.

The "non serviceable" rear shock was rebuilt from the stock one. It received a new spring, was tapped for a NTG valve to make it serviceable in the future, the shaft was honed and was re-valved as well as seals and fluid.

Although I do not have more than 200 miles on the suspension it feels like a big improvement over the stock set up. Small bumps do not feel so sharp, however the bike corners much more confidently. I generally do not press my luck in the corners as I don't want to go to the emergency room, however the bike feels much more stable and confident at greater lean angles and speeds. Before there was some reluctance to cornering or tipping in to the corner and that seems to be gone. The bike is eager and handles confidently. This weekend my wife and I will be trying the suspension out in the bun cooler and will have a better feel for how it handles, however I am pleased with the performance and happy with the price.

Hope that helps for anyone thinking about RaceTech Gold Valves.

very cool. How much was the rear shock refurb? im very interested in doing this. I can handle the front end upgrades myself.

Interesting approach to the rear shock.  Once I did the emulators and springs, I found
the OEM rear shock 'sub par' and fit a '12 C-14 shock... no more air, but a bit more work.

Glad you're enjoying the 'sportier' C-10.  It's a worthwhile upgrade, even if you don't ride 'hard'.
Just to lessen the front end dive during braking is reason enough.

:beerchug: