• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

RE : Looking for speedometer gear housing for 86 C 10. I have bought two speedometer gear housing's on Ebay, both had a broken or sheared off nub

thomasjhill034902

I'm trying to take a cross country ride to Louisiana to see my mother, haven't been able to find this part undamaged. The broken off nubs hold the gear housing in place. Are there other Kawasaki's I could use that would be interchangeable. Any suggestions will be Appreciated

I ran over something on a dark road that punched a small hole in the cast aluminum oil pan on a Honda 750. A friend suggested a field repair using a stick of putty - cut off a slice and work it with the fingers. The repair lasted for the rest of the time I owned the bike. The nubs are mostly for aligning the speedometer housing and once installed with the axle bolt tightened the nubs would have little if any rotational pressure. The trick would be installing the housing so the nubs wouldn't get pinched - that's what breaks the factory ones. You might try repairing the broken Ebay housings with a small amount of the epoxy stuck on. Once cured you could file or die grind it to shape. The only problem would be getting the housing centered so the nubs bracket the index tang. Misaligned the epoxy nubs would crumble.
It's a product like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001449TT...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

I ran over something on a dark road that punched a small hole in the cast aluminum oil pan on a Honda 750. A friend suggested a field repair using a stick of putty - cut off a slice and work it with the fingers. The repair lasted for the rest of the time I owned the bike. The nubs are mostly for aligning the speedometer housing and once installed with the axle bolt tightened the nubs would have little if any rotational pressure. The trick would be installing the housing so the nubs wouldn't get pinched - that's what breaks the factory ones. You might try repairing the broken Ebay housings with a small amount of the epoxy stuck on. Once cured you could file or die grind it to shape. The only problem would be getting the housing centered so the nubs bracket the index tang. Misaligned the epoxy nubs would crumble.
It's a product like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001449TT...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1
Thank you ! I just ordered the product on Amazon. This is definitely worth a try đź‘Ť

I also broke the nubs off of my 86.
When I put the wheel on after that, I simply located the housing in the correct position, and tightened the axle.
(The pressure from tightening the axle holds the housing in place) No problem.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks for the information Ted,I'm heading to the garage right now to try again! It would spin last time I tried will give it another go đź‘Ťđź‘Ť