• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Re-program ECU with 'fly's removed?

fragment

Tricycle
I bought my 2008 C14 used, and the PO had removed the 'flys, and installed a power commander.

I find the bike is not that smooth on decel (low throttle) or sometimes I feel "flat spots".  Now that the ECU can be reprogrammed, I'm thinking about removing the PC and getting a "flash" to handle the lack of 'flys.

Other mods are a Ninja header and dual exhaust - no cat.

Possible? Advisable?

Steve

For me, the main goal of remapping the ECU was to emulate the performance you get with the flies removed and a PC, without having to actually remove them or install a Power Commander. I guess you could reinstall the butterflies and remove the PC and then get a reflash, though you might find you end up with very close to what you had before. Though I think the remap provides a smoother throttle response and is not quite as twitchy in the low rpms as the bike is with the butterflies removed, since it ramps them open instead of them just being totally gone.

But since you have an aftermarket exhaust system, you'd probably need to take your bike in and let them put it on the dyno and make a proper map for it. The removal of the cats and dual exhaust probably has a significant impact on airflow, so I think you'd want to get it on a dyno and done right. You'd probably also want to reinstall the butterflies, assuming you still have them.

No, I don't have the secondaries anymore. 

On the car front, I've dealt with add on ECU's, stand-alone ECU's and various flavors of re-flashed factory ecu's.  In every way I can think of, the (properly) re-flashed factory ECU's are smoother, more reliable, and detract from re-sale less than the other solutions.  So I was hoping to duplicate that experience with my C14.

But the idea of re-installing the 'flys just to get back to the stock ECU seems like a lot of work for a questionable pay-back.  I guess I'll leave it as is.

I would never remove the secondaries on my ZX14, and I sure won't on my C14. For one thing, KTRC probably uses the secondaries.

The point of the reflash, so amply demonstrated in the instrumented pulls which Fred posted, is to simulate the removal of the secondaries, without having to do it, and without hindering KTRC and other, normal, operations.

Its the same on the 2012 ZX14R, which has KTRC. None of the guys with any brains are going to pull flies on that if they can get Guhl or Dynotronics to reflash the ZX14 ECU and open the secondaries the moment you roll the throttle on. Just doesn't make sense. And you can't count the number of guys, right now, crying in the for-sale forums for secondary butterfly plates and screws so they can put them back in. Dummy, don't throw parts away, lol.

Well, my 2008 doesn't have KTRC, and I bought the bike with the 'flys removed.  I didn't throw them away, I just never got 'em :mad:

If you ask there are probably lots of guys on this forum that removed their secondary butterflies and still have them and the screws.  I'm guessing someone would send you theirs for free.