• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear suspension and air pressure

Ironwood

Model 2000 - just lubed the 3 lower zerks on the linkage and I CANNOT get to the 2 on the upper "dog bones" zerks without taking off the mufflers.

So, I'm going to switch them out of 90 degrees ones. Anyone know the correct size that will replace (just didn't want to take them out and find out a have to order the 90's).

Also, just going through the FSM and it states to NOT check the rear shock pressure with a "tire gauge".  Uhh....options?

The grease zerks are 6 mm and I always got by using a tire pressure gauge on my rear shock until I replaced it with a Progressive shock.  I either used a digital gauge or one made for lower pressures like one for ATV tires.  I think as long as you get a good seal between the valve and the gauge you should be fine.

The reason to not use a tire pressure guage is that the volume of air in the shock is so small that each time you check it you loose a lot of pressure. Bike tire pump with a clip on nozzle and guage or compresser with a good regulator, set to the pressure you want.