• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear tire and progressive shock

Motorcyclerider

I’ve got two questions. First. I put a Bridgestone battleaxe bt46 on the rear stock size and a pirelli angel gt 110/80/18 on the front. I’ve done 1,500 miles and Pirelli is holding up well. The Bridgestone is finished. What’s a good tire that will last long for the rear. I don’t care about grip. What tires give the longest life. After this next one I’m going to fit a mean streak rear.
Now I’ve got sonic 1.1 springs with kb brace shimmed forks and a progressive rear shock. Newly installed shock. Idk I cant feel much difference but let’s put it like this. At the track going 100 mph around a long sweeper cornering hard the bike walks outward. it did this a little before with oem shock but has gotten worse. My linkage doesn’t have play. Is it just the side bags and top mount and aerodynamic forces? I’m a light guy 140lbs. Do I need to put softer springs front and rear and have the sag set 100% properly like my Mx bike? Idk I’d appreciate any advice from some of you seasoned Connie riders. Thanks.

Attachments

• 79BB5029-43AB-4991-82FD-FEFC09D67DB3.png
    79BB5029-43AB-4991-82FD-FEFC09D67DB3.png
    187.8 KB · Views: 51
Well, if you don't care about grip, I'm not even sure they make it anymore but a Metzler 880 in wing size will give you the mileage you want, not very sticky at all but you will get quite a few miles out of it, will be a bit dicey in the rain though. I think I remember getting over 10,000 miles or more out of mine on a rear, front was close to 15,000 miles.

Well, if you don't care about grip, I'm not even sure they make it anymore but a Metzler 880 in wing size will give you the mileage you want, not very sticky at all but you will get quite a few miles out of it, will be a bit dicey in the rain though. I think I remember getting over 10,000 miles or more out of mine on a rear, front was close to 15,000 miles.
Thanks I’ve heard about this tire. I ended up with a shrink verge. I try not to ride if it’s raining but sometimes we get caught in it. I figure if I can handle launching a double out of a muddlf corner on my Mx bike I could handle the metzer. Just won’t ride over my head. I think I’m gonna start making the move for a mean steak rear before this next one wears out.

Setting the spring sag is the first thing you need to do.
It will tell you if your springs are too soft or too hard, and will help the issues your having.

Generally speaking, the front springs on a C-10 are too soft.
ie; Hard braking on a C-10 can almost completely bottom out the front.
Because so much of the fork travel is used there, you have little travel available to control the ride.
NOTE: Their normally too soft statement is because most of us weigh more than you do.
At 140 the springs you have may be fine for you.
I'm going suggest that you watch a couple of videos and then set your sag.
NOTE: I know you're an experienced rider, but the first video will help get us on the same page.

As I recall you have a 86 or 87 C-10? This will make setting the front sag more difficult.

On the rear, we don't know what spring you have on the shock. Setting the sag on it should be EZ to do.

Step #1. Watch this video.

Step #2: Watch this video.

Step #3; Set the sag.

Step #4: Report your findings.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Setting the spring sag is the first thing you need to do.
It will tell you if your springs are too soft or too hard, and will help the issues your having.

Generally speaking, the front springs on a C-10 are too soft.
ie; Hard braking on a C-10 can almost completely bottom out the front.
Because so much of the fork travel is used there, you have little travel available to control the ride.
NOTE: Their normally too soft because most of us weigh more than you do.
At 140 they may be fine for you.
I'm going suggest that you watch a couple of videos and then set your sag.
NOTE: I know you're an experienced rider, but the first video will help get us on the same page.

As I recall you have a 86 or 87 C-10? This will make setting the front sag more difficult.

On the rear, we don't know what spring you have on the shock. Setting the sag on it should be EZ to do.

Step #1. Watch this video.

Step #2: Watch this video.

Step #3; Set the sag.

Step #4: Report your findings.

Ride safe, Ted
Ted my bike is a 2001. I have the straight rate sonic springs are slightly stiff for my weight. The rear is the progressive so I don’t know if I can even source a lighter spring. I’ll check this videos out.

Great. On a 2001 you should be able to adjust the sag.

After you get the sag right, you will need to adjust the damping.
I posted an article on the forum about an inexpensive way to improve your front damping.
The Emulators are EZ to install.
I'll try to find that discussion.

Hers another;

Last edited:
Thanks guys. This is VERY timely.
I’m preparing to change the oil in my rear and front shocks.
I have instructions from Murphs for the rear.
I have a Mighty Vac I got from from fellow COGer TLRBoise. I hope to use on the forks and not have to disassemble them

Bob

Bob, the vacuum method works, I did it and it's just fine. Next time, think about doing it the old fashioned way, it's not hard at all either, just takes a little more time and you learn about the bike, do it once and you'll never vacuum again.

Great. On a 2001 you should be able to adjuct the sag.

After you get the sag right, you will need to adjust the damping.
I posted an article on the forum about an inexpensive way to improve your front damping.
The Emulators are EZ to install.
I'll try to find that discussion.

Hers another;
Yea I’ve found the thread with the link to the inexpensive emulators that cam with colored springs steve recommended I’m getting there slowly but surely. My biggest issue is weighing 149lbs

At 149, the stock springs could be pretty close to correct.
If I recall, you want about 30-40 mm of sag with you on the bike.
The (2nd) video on post #4 gives you a step by step to follow.

Let us know if you can get the sag set to that. If not, it will tell us if your springs are too soft or too hard.

Ride safe, Ted

At 149, the stock springs could be pretty close to correct.
If I recall, you want about 30-40 mm of sag with you on the bike.
The (2nd) video on post #4 gives you a step by step to follow.

Let us know if you can get the sag set to that. If not, it will tell us if your springs are too soft or too hard.

Ride safe, Ted
Sorry Ted haven’t gotten around to the suspension. I’m all over the place. Trying to get these 96Gpz1100 carbs tuned. Gonna do a write up here shortly